Mynock

Is 8GB no longer enough memory for 64-bit update? Locking up/crashing consistently since update

For the past couple of days my game can go about 15-20 minutes before it locks up or crashes completely, and because I have zero luck, Arma is not producing any reports or information messages as to the reason it's happening, so I really have nothing to go off of. Everything was working fine before 1.68, but since the update my game will consistently lock up or crash every single time I play, no matter what I'm doing with the game (editor, playing a mission, messing around in the virtual arsenal, etc). I only have 8GB of RAM on Win7, is this no longer enough to play Arma since the 64 bit update? Am I SOL now? Is it time to retire the game, or is there some way I can fix this without buying more memory I don't have slots for?

Yes I have verified my game cache since the update, 3 times in fact.

I don't know what that is or how to find it because I'm an ignorant American who knows nothing about computers.

9 minutes ago, Mynock said:

I don't know what that is or how to find it because I'm an ignorant American who knows nothing about computers.

I am assuming you use the 64 bit version of arma (are you?), just look here:

How to check pagefile size.

With 8 GB RAM, a pagefilesize of ~12GB should be sufficient.

• Like 1

"Total paging file size for all drives: 20335 MB"

I'm using 64-bit Arma if that's the default from the launcher from Steam now. I'm assuming it is.

Edit: I'm running 64 bit according to my task manager. This is ridiculous. Is there a way to switch it so the launcher runs 32 bit instead? I had no issues with 32-bit and I just want to play the game I paid for rather than diagnosing problems. My performance was good enough before on 32-bit. I know I can run the regular arma3.exe from the folder (I assume that's 32-bit), but because that just starts the game directly I can't load up any mods or anything.

just simply point whatever launcher you're using to use arma3.exe instead of arma3_x64.exe

51 minutes ago, Mynock said:

"Total paging file size for all drives: 20335 MB"

I'm using 64-bit Arma if that's the default from the launcher from Steam now. I'm assuming it is.

Edit: I'm running 64 bit according to my task manager. This is ridiculous. Is there a way to switch it so the launcher runs 32 bit instead? I had no issues with 32-bit and I just want to play the game I paid for rather than diagnosing problems. My performance was good enough before on 32-bit. I know I can run the regular arma3.exe from the folder (I assume that's 32-bit), but because that just starts the game directly I can't load up any mods or anything.

You can choose from Arma3 launcher in the parameters tab.

Thanks. I'll just stay on 32-bit, not worth the hassle to run 64.

Welp, 32 bit crashes as well. Awesome. Can't wait for 1.70 so I can maybe play again... Crashes with mods and vanilla, so it's gotta be a game issue not a mod conflict since the update.

All I got this time was the generic 0x000000FF - Unknown error code.

Since it's always asked for as well, here's a link to the error file you can generate. No clue what I'm looking for in there to try and solve it. Probably just going to give up and play something else. It's getting old having to try to fix Arma every 3 months when an update comes out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-n24CkJzFWBTlNDUHdwcmQwLTQ/view?usp=sharing

Dragged my PC to the school library so I could do a complete reinstall all day (I get charged for exceeding a certain datacap at my apartment complex). Wiped everything, 100% fresh re-install, did not fix the issue. If anything it freezes up even faster now. Utter BS. Vanilla, mods, 32 bit, 64 bit, doesn't make any difference. My game was perfectly fine a few days ago before 1.68... Every other game I own plays just fine, no issues at all.

I get the same problems as you. Think im gonna have to have an Arma break for a bit unfortunately. 

I'm running only 8GB and running the 64bit Win7 and Arma 64bit and haven't had any issues..couldn't open your rpt for some reason so can't see if there is anything obvious that may help. Maybe post what your PC Specs are too for anyone else having some better ideas for you than I do.

Edit: I got your rpt opened and noticed this..

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\Arma3_x64.exe" -noSplash -nosplash

you have -noSplash listed twice...try starting the game with nothing in the command line at all and all vanilla. I know the CMD line is really picky about how its written.

Diesel

Just set max memory to 6 and let windows have 2 .

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Jep, just limit your usable memory. Type "-maxMem=3072" in your command line for example. To limit the usable memory to 4GB just type "4096" instead of "3072".

Mynock,

Have you tried running without mods? In your rpt files I spot @CBA_A3 and @ace.

I read back that you did. Can you run again without mods and post the logs afterwards?

Same issue here, soon as I get to main menu within about 30 seconds it crashes and is sometimes crashing my pc too had no issues before the update, tried changing to 32 bit no difference, managed to get on this morning but had to get off for work I thought it was all good until I pressed disconnect and it crashed, can't even ctrl+alt+delete out sometimes too I have to sign out and back in for everything to close

17 hours ago, diesel tech jc said:

I'm running only 8GB and running the 64bit Win7 and Arma 64bit and haven't had any issues..couldn't open your rpt for some reason so can't see if there is anything obvious that may help. Maybe post what your PC Specs are too for anyone else having some better ideas for you than I do.

Edit: I got your rpt opened and noticed this..

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\Arma3_x64.exe" -noSplash -nosplash

you have -noSplash listed twice...try starting the game with nothing in the command line at all and all vanilla. I know the CMD line is really picky about how its written.

Diesel

I clicked the option for no splash screen from the launcher, so that's on BI if it's in there twice, I don't even know what the cmd line is or where I would even go to change it.

8 hours ago, ozzbik said:

Mynock,

Have you tried running without mods? In your rpt files I spot @CBA_A3 and @ace.

I read back that you did. Can you run again without mods and post the logs afterwards?

Well I'm not running ACE, I've never run ACE because I can hardly survive a mission with the game as is and I don't need it to be any harder, so that just goes to show how jacked up Arma is...

I basically run either 100% vanilla, or with CUP, CBA, VSM, SMA, RHS and POpfor to play Dynamic Recon/Combat Ops single player or to make my own missions to play single player.

6 hours ago, Mynock said:

I clicked the option for no splash screen from the launcher, so that's on BI if it's in there twice, I don't even know what the cmd line is or where I would even go to change it.

Well I'm not running ACE, I've never run ACE because I can hardly survive a mission with the game as is and I don't need it to be any harder, so that just goes to show how jacked up Arma is...

I basically run either 100% vanilla, or with CUP, CBA, VSM, SMA, RHS and POpfor to play Dynamic Recon/Combat Ops single player or to make my own missions to play single player.

Have u solved your problem? If so how Thanks

1 hour ago, shadowofjohn said:

Have u solved your problem? If so how Thanks

No.

Wow, got to play a full 37 minutes tonight!! /sarcasm

I'm beyond frustrated at this point. I can run my racing games full tilt for 24 hours straight without a single issue (imagine the amount of data that absorbs too over 24 hours of online racing compared to Arma single player...) yet I can't play Arma now for more than a half an hour when I could play for hours just a week ago before this BS 1.68 update.

Here's another error report. Have at it. Would be nice if someone would educate me on what I'm supposed to be looking at in these things.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-n24CkJzFWBaWlpamFRZ0xsSFE

Probably need to start saving every single report in case I decide I want to refund Arma. Steam won't do it just looking at my hours, but hopefully if it comes to that and I have proof the game crashes literally every time I play it more than 5 minutes they'll see why I'm requesting it. That's not a "threat" to BI, but if I spent my money on something that's now unusable, I might as well see if Steam will let me buy something else I can actually play and enjoy instead.

Mynock,

Could you check if, in your launcher, the following parameters are unchecked or checked:

- Mods

- No Splash

- Command line parameters

And also if possible post the reports and dumps rpt files (which contain more information)

In these rpt files you can see all mods and files which are beeing loaded, but the file starts off with the command line which is used.

If you, for example, read the Arma3_2017-03-19_14-05-58.rpt file from your previous post, it starts with the executable which is used, followed by the full path including parameters ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\Arma3.exe" -noSplash -nosplash "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@CUP_Terrains_Complete;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@CARRAIGDUBH")

Because the is an extra -nosplash option I believe that you've got command-line options added.

This is the whole zip: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-n24CkJzFWBT25Kck9mbGRlY1U

I've unchecked every single possible option, but I don't have time to play right now to make it freeze and generate another error report. Idling won't do it so I can't let it sit until it freezes up and crashes, I have to be doing something in the game, otherwise I'd let it idle until it failed.

The only box checked was the one to skip the BI splash screen. Command line wasn't checked as I've never used it. I don't know how to use it.

Unchecking the splash screen box did nothing. Crashed on me again, same errors and stuff. Couldn't save the error file since it locked up hard and even ctrl-alt-delete wasn't working so I had to pull the plug and restart. Got stuck with an all black screen with the error box in front but I couldn't click on anything or even move the mouse, no choice but to unplug the computer.

However, I might be on to something tonight. After 1.68 came out I couldn't use the editor with my usual "small" interface size because all of the drop downs didn't work (as many others have noted in other threads). Occurred to me that I changed to "very small" UI right after the update was released so I could use the editor. So tonight I said screw it and switched it to "normal" which looks like trash on my screen... but I was able to complete two run-throughs of Dynamic Recon Ops tonight in single player without crashing. That was only about 45min of playing, but that's the longest I've gone since the update without my computer locking up. Not claiming this to be a "fix" yet as I want to see consistent no crashes for quite some time before I say this had anything to do with it (maybe I got simply lucky tonight who knows).

The only downside (so far anyway) to running the "normal" size UI so far is the GPS doesn't display correctly, it's way off to the right of the screen and I can only see about a tenth of the GPS.

Going to leave it on normal size for a while and wait for the next crash to see if that, no matter how strange, somewhat solves my problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mynock said:

The only downside (so far anyway) to running the "normal" size UI so far is the GPS doesn't display correctly, it's way off to the right of the screen and I can only see about a tenth of the GPS.

Going to leave it on normal size for a while and wait for the next crash to see if that, no matter how strange, somewhat solves my problem.

Good to hear that it might be solved, but could you check if there are rpt files created from your last session?

You know you can reposition every UI item?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=170241067

Even when I re-position it, it always ends up way off the the right. I tried that last night. Won't be able to play again for about a week, so I'll update the thread if I continue to have any success with it not crashing.

No rpt file generated from the last lockup as far as I can tell, numbers for the file in there are identical to the previous one and everything looks identical to the previous one, so I think it didn't update. Displayed the error message with no other information and like I said it froze everything so my only choice was to kill the power supply and restart.

Well, UI size is not a fix. Had a break between classes today, thought I'd give it one more go before I leave for the weekend tomorrow, crashed on me so hard Windows just said "F it" and auto restarted itself. Was playing DRO, everything was going smooth, completed an objective and the screen went a brownish-red color and my computer auto-rebooted a few seconds later. No Arma error file yet again. Back to square one. Honestly I'm getting really tired of trying to solve a problem I didn't create.

I feel really bad for all of the people experiencing issues like this after that Humble Bundle deal. Probably a lot of new Arma players who now have a completely unplayable game just a week or two after they bought it. At least after 2 years I've come to expect everything will break every update and for whatever reason, the consumer is left to fix it... They're probably left scratching their heads feeling like they got bait and switched for a garbage title. Arma is a lot of fun when it works, but when it doesn't it's beyond frustrating and makes me wonder why I even bothered investing my time teaching myself how to script and do lots of things for a game that I regularly can't play after major updates because half the game gets broken.

Just want to enjoy my long weekend at this point, so here's to hoping a hotfix is released by the time I get back, but let's be real, nothing will happen to fix any of this until 1.70 four months from now...