Savage_Donkey

Bushlurker's Carraigdubh Terrain

I have decided to port Bushlurker's Carraigdubh terrain in time for Saint Patrick's Day (its 4th anniversary).  

On 3/17/2012 at 11:08 AM, bushlurker said:

carraigdubh_menu_ca.jpg

Carraigdubh, Co. Leitrim

A 5x5km Geotypical Microterrain

*** St Patrick's Day Special Edition - Beta v0.8 ***

Introduction

Once again it's time to inflict my obsession with landscape & natural environment modelling on a wider public!

This time the excuse is, of course, St Patrick's Day, and the landscape in question is an entirely synthetic representation of a small area of County Leitrim, one of the northern Counties of Ireland - close to the border with Northern Ireland.

Unlike my previous "Geotypical Microterrains" which were essentially public exercises in terrain modelling & texturing, this terrain is considerably more "finished". My central focus, as usual, has been on creating a believable natural environment (that part is mostly finished)... but this time there's actually a few typical locations to visit (these are considerably less "finished" and will be expanded and added to for the final version)...

Geology & the Local Environment

County Leitrim contains a great variety of landscapes....

Hide contents

High moor topped mountains in the north of the County rise above drumlin-covered lowlands, eskers and glens. Geological features shaped by glacial action are a distinctive feature.

Many areas are noted for their scenic beauty and nature conservation value. (And particularly good trout & salmon fishing!)

Leitrim, like other counties in Ireland, was subjected to total glaciation on a number of occasions. Glacial episodes have had a profound influence on the landscape, shaping the underlying geology and depositing massive volumes of drift.

Little is known about earlier glacial episodes as all traces have been erased by subsequent glaciations. In Ireland the most recent glaciation is called the Midlandian Glaciation and occurred roughly 20,000 years ago. The ice extended across Leitrim from North, North East to South, South West...

During glaciation, erosion was most severe on the higher summits and in the deeper valleys which were aligned parallel to the direction of the ice flow.

The lowlands by contrast were mantled by a thick cover of stiff, clayey till deposited during a later stage of glaciation which was moulded into the form of small hills or drumlins. These drumlins are generally oval in plan however a broad range of shapes and sizes exists.

The drumlins are orientated in the general direction of the ice flows and are a valuable indicator of glacial activity.

3D_Heightmap.jpg

Since the majority of soils display significant limitations to agriculture. Combined with the nature of landform, grassland agriculture has been the dominant land use within the County.

In this synthetic landscape I've attempted to depict all these features within a small but coherent area.

CD_Beta_07_small.jpg

CD_Beta_06_small.jpg

CD_Beta_05_small.jpg

CD_Beta_01_small.jpg

CD_Beta_03_small.jpg

CD_Beta_02_small.jpg

CD_Beta_04_small.jpg

TerrainmakersTechnical Details

Spoiler

Heightmap - 1024 x 1024 x 5m

Satellite - 10240 x 10240

Layer - 20m

Ground textures - 8 (so far)

All models are stock Arma 1 or 2 with occasional custom retextures

Software - L3DT, Daylon Leveller, Photoshop CS2, Wilbur, Visitor 3PE, Oxygen 2PE, World Tools

Credits & Thanks

Bohemia Interactive - of course!

Foxhound & Armaholic - best hosting ever!

CWR2 Team & Wolle - patience, models loan & advice and missions!!

Mikero - absolutely essential tools!***

Shezan74 - equally essential World Tools

Mondkalb - cunning techie tricks

Tupolov - random intro script

Roger Bodger - terrain playtesting

Satnam Sagoo - original suggestion

Happy St Patrick's Day!

B

The map has a few issues that I hope to address in the coming weeks:

Pond Object doesn't load

No background mission for main Arma 3 Screen

Unfinished Satmap for selection screen

No Key/bisign

Others?

Permission:

Spoiler

It is sadly now impossible to obtain direct permission to port Bushlurker's maps, but for all those interested I came across this:

On 3/23/2016 at 0:30 PM, bushlurker said:

Hi guys...

Yes - BI did indeed "semi-fix" the Outside Terrain tech, though since CUP reputedly switches that off anyway then it shouldn't matter, since you'll need AiA, or MUCH better still, CUP in order to run these old Arma 2 terrains...

I've tried the standard A2 Carraigdubh in A3 with CUP and it seems to work fine for me with no errors

Carraig_OT_CUP_small_zpsmoglacyz.jpg

Not sure what combination of "BI Semi-Fixed Outside terrain" and "CUP switching it off" is going on there - the Outside terrain starts just where that road ends and as you can see, seems to be a series of widely spaced low ridges with pretty flat areas in between, rather than the nice gently rolling hills we got in Arma 2... However - it's working - glitch free for me...

Of MUCH more importance is the fact that there's a small pond up at the top left quadrant of the map - this WILL cause issues and would need to be disabled/removed or there's going to be visual glitches - or worse - over in that quadrant...

(Actually, I thought CUP "removed" pond objects too???)

Anyhow - until such times as I can - finally - get around to providing a proper Arma 3 version of this terrain, everyone has my Full Permission to mess with Outside terrain, Ponds or any other tweaks you find necessary to get this terrain working for your personal/team/group/clan use in Arma 3 - glad to see people still keen to have fun on what's really a pretty sparse little map... (it's the hedges, isn't it...? ;)

Have fun!

B

To me, this is enough permission to port the map, but if others disagree, I will gladly take it down.

All credit for the original map goes to Bushlurker

REQUIREMENTS:

CUP Terrains full

Download:

Dropbox v1.1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmhs9yrypy9yk8m/%40carraigdubhv1.zip?dl=0

Google Drive v1.1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByNcnNF7Q561WVE0U0FwWjJsMEU

PWS v1.1: http://withsix.com/p/Arma-3/mods/e77QjExEeUGeghG1Oz2TIw/Bushlurker's-Carraigdubh-Terrain

Armaholic v1.1: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=32518

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Irish eyes are smiling tonight!!   Thank you for a beautiful present.

Wow very nice and pretty! Bushlurker really was amazing at this, you can see that in the screens. Sadly I never got to interact with him but hopefully now I'll be able to experience his work firsthand (I never owned Arma 2).

Thanks for the port.

• Like 2

Thank you for the release. It's great to finally have it in A3 . This terrian is probably my favorite one that Bushlurker had put out. 

• Like 1

Very nice Savage Donkey, he'll always be missed but he'll never be forgotton, either through his own works of art or the mention in the credits of past, present and future terrains :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I'm so pleased that you ported this because it really felt SO different to most other maps.

If proof was required of Bushlurker's unique talent then this is it.

I bet he's looking down and chuckling now.

@Savage_Donkey Grand!

Thanks for porting this over. :D

Got a pop-up error while flying around in the 3D editor. Here's what was logged to the .rpt.

11:12:13 LODShape::Preload: shape 'bush\carraigdubh_obj\bush_cd_snappond25.p3d' not found
11:12:13 Warning Message: Cannot open object bush\carraigdubh_obj\bush_cd_snappond25.p3d

1 minute ago, CameronMcDonald said:

Thanks for porting this over. :D

Got a pop-up error while flying around in the 3D editor. Here's what was logged to the .rpt.

11:12:13 LODShape::Preload: shape 'bush\carraigdubh_obj\bush_cd_snappond25.p3d' not found
11:12:13 Warning Message: Cannot open object bush\carraigdubh_obj\bush_cd_snappond25.p3d

Yeah, that's one of the issues I don't think I can fix without the source files.  Originally, Bushlurker had 2 pond objects, snappond25 and snappond50 located on the map.  However, they caused tons of visual errors like textures disappearing and other weird artifacts.  I deleted those objects to prevent those glitches from happening, but the map will still try to load them.  I'm considering replacing them with a small object.

• Like 2

Nice one chief, I always hoped this would make it to A3 

• Like 1

Great! Was waiting for this map since a long time now. Thanks a lot!

That's awesome, it was one of my favorite terrains back in Arma 2 days. Thanks, great to see it in Arma 3.

Thanks for taking the time to port this lovely terrain, a great tribute. A little playthrough on it below:

• Like 3

@jeza What's the enemy faction in the first sequence? I was debating on what mods to use on the map. 3CB seems like a good fit (good call) and whoever you were shooting seemed to fit the Irish landscape well too.

And as always, nice Showcase. Your videos are consistently sweet.

1 minute ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

@jeza What's the enemy faction in the first sequence? I was debating on what mods to use on the map. 3CB seems like a good fit (good call) and whoever you were shooting seemed to fit the Irish landscape well too.

And as always, nice Showcase. Your videos are consistently sweet.

Thanks bud. Actually those are just syndicate rebels from Apex, seemed to fit in just fine with the aesthetics of the terrain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

@jeza I was debating on what mods to use on the map.

Why not the Irish Armed Forces? http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25078

And not to be too pedantic...but 3CB is not really a good fit, considering there has not been British troops in my country since the war of independence 100 years ago...I suppose you could say the map is over the border in Northern Ireland for your scenarios :)

@Savage_Donkey: Thanks for releasing this. To any people wondering about permissions etc, Bushlurker had stated that nanyone who wished to patch and share this map was free to do so whenever they liked.

• Like 3

just wow,.. so pleased this was made available :-)

Had some great missions on this map back in A2 days... Will go great with some of the older Kit, SLR's and Meatwagon Snatches etc..

On 18/03/2017 at 9:56 PM, ineptaphid said:

And not to be too pedantic...but 3CB is not really a good fit, considering there has not been British troops in my country since the war of independence 100 years ago...I suppose you could say the map is over the border in Northern Ireland for your scenarios :)

That would more than likely be the case.

17 minutes ago, danno1991 said:

is there any chance of this being placed on playwithsix

I'll see what I can do.