kremator

Ground clutter popping (now that we have 64bit) - a focus please?

37 minutes ago, donnovan said:

They must be out of ideas to increase fps.

Has the clutter popping always been this way?  I think it's been in there for a while, perhaps forever, but I'm not sure.

Once you notice the popping, you become fixated on it, and it becomes even more distracting. :icon18:

• Like 2

I tried setTerrainGrid 3.125 but it still pop.

If i remember correctly the pop effect became worse on Apex release. Like it they tweaked it for Apex jungle and this is the result.

Apex also have lots of pop that you can't get ride even setting all to ultra.

10 hours ago, Evil Organ said:

I noticed that on playback...I'll take that little blighter out too!

There are around a dozen clutter models that cause the horrible pop-in, thorns and thistles are the probably the worst culprits, followed closely by those pesky germader plants.   

Evil Organ, if you can fix those and release a little mod that PERMANENTLY removes them (if BIS won't do it !) then that would be a good interim measure ! 

However, don't walk but run in videos ... you can pick it up much more that way !

• Like 1

Some mods have a setting for terrain grid options (I can think of ALiVE has it as part of the mod itself, and I've seen a few scripts in MP servers that allow it as well as view distance)- would those make a difference?

1 hour ago, kremator said:

Evil Organ, if you can fix those and release a little mod that PERMANENTLY removes them (if BIS won't do it !) then that would be a good interim measure ! 

Agreed, it's a good halfway house, it more or less leaves all the grass groups intact, plus some plant groups....once I pack up the config i'll post it.

Edit...the config change will only cover Altis and Stratis. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, donnovan said:

I tried setTerrainGrid 3.125 but it still pop.

If i remember correctly the pop effect became worse on Apex release. Like it they tweaked if for Apex jungle and this is the result.

Apex also have lots of pop that you can't get ride even setting all to ultra.

set it to 1.563

Until this issue with ground clutter is fixed by BI, here is a little interim solution..... 

• Like 1

I liked your original pbo name (sent via PM)   EO :)

7 minutes ago, kremator said:

I liked your original pbo name (sent via PM)   EO :)

Moderators didn't approve of that particular name. :sigh:

I agree the LOD popping is so annoying (playing mainly on Tanoa)

This has always been a problem in ARMA.

15 minutes ago, EDcase said:

I agree the LOD popping is so annoying (playing mainly on Tanoa)

This has always been a problem in ARMA.

it has been to some degree. but since the visual update( not the issue) the lod changes became really distracting. some of Tanos have been ironed out since its release.  but Altis the brown scrubs are very annoying.

• Like 3

I really hope BI fixes this engine-side. I don't play on Altis or Stratis basically ever. EO, is it out of the scope of the mod to cover the specific models so the tweak is universal rather than just the maps themselves?

I looks amazing but I rarely have the itch to fight on the Greek islands.

48 minutes ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

I really hope BI fixes this engine-side. I don't play on Altis or Stratis basically ever. EO, is it out of the scope of the mod to cover the specific models so the tweak is universal rather than just the maps themselves?

I've played on a lot of community made maps, but i can't recall any that have the same aggressive pop-in that Altis and Stratis suffer from, i guess it would depend whether any community made maps used those same ground clutter models as the ones I've removed from Altis and Stratis....that being said if you have any terrains in mind, let me know in the thread I created for the mod itself and i'll happily take a look. :f:

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:12 PM, OMAC said:

And also with these darkish, spindly, narrow, partially dry plants with small buds on upper parts.

773a58538940199.jpg

The same plant is on A2CO Chernarus (although in smaller clumps), and there is no popping at all.  Smooth as silk all the way.

As multiple people stated, you can disable Grass, but referring to some points brought up, it would actually be quite fun, if not by default implemented, by having the ability to configure Grass in order to make it sort of "Longer" or "Bigger", basically like people stated in games such as "Ghost Recon Wildlands", it would be fun, but of course if given the option, if this would not be implemented by Bohemia by default at least have the ability to configure the grass to your choice.

Some comments from the devs on this would be more than welcome...

I tried playing on Altis lately, man my eyes are bleeding...

• Like 1

Agreed. Just ran around a bit on Diyala (which uses these clutter/grass models) and this is just totally unacceptable IMO. How this continues to get past QA or at the very least, slowly touched upon with platform updates, is beyond me.

1 hour ago, haleks said:

Some comments from the devs on this would be more than welcome...

I tried playing on Altis lately, man my eyes are bleeding...

Agreed ^^

Especially since BI are actively recreating Malden which will re-use vegetation from Altis and Stratis.

And if Project Argo is anything to go by, Malden is suffering the same issues that Altis and Stratis have.....

I predict the future.....EO's Weedkiller for Malden!

• Like 2

On 10/04/2017 at 9:59 PM, Evil Organ said:

Agreed ^^

Especially since BI are actively recreating Malden which will re-use vegetation from Altis and Stratis.

And if Project Argo is anything to go by, Malden is suffering the same issues that Altis and Stratis have.....

I predict the future.....EO's Weedkiller for Malden!

That makes me think... Rather than disabling the 3d models, I guess we could replace them by ones from CUP terrains?

Proving Grounds and Takistan have similar clutter objects. Looking for suitable replacements would be tedious, but since CUP terrains don't seem affected by that issue, I reckon it could be worth a shot.

3 minutes ago, haleks said:

That makes me think... Rather than disabling the 3d models, I guess we could replace them by ones from CUP terrains?

I might just look into that....

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, haleks said:

Proving Grounds and Takistan have similar clutter objects. Looking for suitable replacements would be tedious, but since CUP terrains don't seem affected by that issue, I reckon it could be worth a shot.

The reason Proving Grounds looks and performs really well is it doesn't use any clutter models that have the rendering issues, it only uses eight clutter models, six of which are grasses that are also used on Altis, the only difference is the coloring.