kremator

Ground clutter popping (now that we have 64bit) - a focus please?

I really appreciate the work that has gone into the 1.68 update.  Really I do.  I've been a MASSIVE fan ever since pre-OFP days ...

BUT ...

For the love of God and all the is holy ... fix the bloody ground clutter popping in front of my eyes.  Give me a slider to push it back to 5m, 10m, 15m, 20m.  It can't be THAT hard to do.

While I'm trying to focus on an enemy crawling through the undergrowth, it is distracting to have this popping all the time.  Do NOT force me to turn it off as I do like it.

Cheers

Krem

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Housesparrow said:

I wish the grass extended further out.

Like in Ghost Recon Wildlands :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Housesparrow said:

I wish the grass extended further out.

Isn't this a mapmaker thing? They set that default in the map-making parameters.

I could be seriously wrong of course!

Have to agree with krem on this one.....this persistent ground clutter problem is just plain old immersion breaking and annoying, my fear is that this far into the development cycle of the game the devs don't have a solution to fix this problem, which is a shame as the rest of the game is in great shape after yesterdays milestone update.

6 hours ago, kremator said:

Do NOT force me to turn it off as I do like it.

I'm afraid my hand has been forced.....it's THAT bad.

• Like 2

If you want to make it seem even worse go and play Hunter Call of the Wild which has superb environmental presentation. The clutter is very dense but never pops, you can see the objects smoothly transitioning between LODs and the overall effect is really good. Arma3's LOD smoothing/blending works really well for other objects, if a version of it was applied to clutter objects we could stop having this conversation :)

• Like 1

Is their referring to the terrain rocks, acorns and such popping? I've been using the Standard' terrain setting for that because while the object stay flat they don't constantly pop in front of you, and use things like Landtex /Mid range texture mods to compensate.

Nope this is for ground foliage (grasses and the like).  They are SO annoying that it divides your focus away from the beauty of the game, or the intensity of the combat.

If a DEV could give us some kind of answer as to HOW we can help in finally solving this matter, it would be appreciated.

• Like 2

What sort of systems are you people running?

I used to have an FX-8350 and was forced to run restrictive view distances, and the popping was pretty bad then, but after the Ryzen 7 1700X upgrade it's pretty much a non issue.

@Brisse....this has nothing to do with view distance, the popping in of ground foliage is literally right under your nose and it's very difficult to ignore.

• Like 1

@Evil Organ

Ground foliage render distance is determined by the "terrain" setting, so it's not like it's going to be the same for everyone.

The screnies aren't working for me Brisse.  However, a screeny does NOT show the problem.  At around 4m away from me CONSTANTLY there is a circle of popping foliage.  What I want is the ability to turn it up to 25m (or whatever) so I never have to see it popping again.

@Brisse....I think you may be missing the point of the OP, showing examples of static images on Tanoa doesn't highlight the problem. It's more to do with how certain grasses and plants are rendered in right under the players nose. Using Tanoa is a bad example because the rendering in of grass clutter is much better/smoother than Altis/Stratis where it's much more aggressive. 

Edit....ninja'd by OP!

• Like 1

@kremator

Try a different browser. Anyway, the screenshots illustrate how the terrain setting has a huge impact on foliage rendering distance. It's basically the setting you are asking for, but it's already there.

10 minutes ago, Evil Organ said:

the rendering in of grass clutter is much better/smoother [on Tanoa] than Altis/Stratis where it's much more aggressive. 

Very true.  And in the jungle on Tanoa there is no popping at all since there is no grass or grass-like clutter. 

I agree that the popping in of close grass/clutter should be reduced, especially on Altis/Stratis.  However, the issue isn't a show-stopper, just a minor annoyance.  But a tweak of some kind would be very welcome!

2 hours ago, Brisse said:

@kremator

Try a different browser. Anyway, the screenshots illustrate how the terrain setting has a huge impact on foliage rendering distance. It's basically the setting you are asking for, but it's already there.

I don't think you're understanding the exact problem. It's super easy to spot when you know what you're looking for.

To repro, place a player in a grassy area on Altis. Start walking. Notice how the grass/shrubs LOD's don't fully render until you're literally right on top of them.

• Like 2

Yeah.  The LOD changes are particularly bad/noticeable with those greenish "blob-like" plants...

• Like 2

And also with these darkish, spindly, narrow, partially dry plants with small buds on upper parts.

773a58538940199.jpg

• Like 1

I swear that if they fixed the LODs (or whatever the problem is) for those two plants, most of the issue would be solved.

@OMAC,  your totally right dude, it's only specific clutter models that are to blame for all the eye- bleeding.....so I've spent most of the afternoon and evening figuring out who the main culprits were.

First video is vanilla Arma 3.....:hammer: 

Second video is a simple config change....:supercool:

• Like 5

^ ^ Good job!  That low-lying thistle-like plant with purple flower pops in a little also.

If the fix is config i believe missions can't be fixed.

I will let grass off by default in my missions.

They must be out of ideas to increase fps.

18 minutes ago, OMAC said:

^ ^ Good job!  That low-lying thistle-like plant with purple flower pops in a little also.

I noticed that on playback...I'll take that little blighter out too!

There are around a dozen clutter models that cause the horrible pop-in, thorns and thistles are the probably the worst culprits, followed closely by those pesky germader plants.   

• Like 1