POLPOX

Let me talk about the Japanese translation in Bootcamp Update.

I enjoyed the game in English, but many Japanese people cannot understand English so Japanese language setting is popular style for gameplay.
But in Bootcamp campaign and some of VR Training there is many of poor Japanese translation.
For example, inconsistent styles, completely mistranslating (e.g. Adams tells player to turn right as "Take the right coming up." and the translation is "来る権利を取る。", 権利 means right, claim, title) diffrent translate for some proper nouns - more specifically in Diplomatic Relations, Adams says Syrta as "シルタ"(siruta) but after few sentences he says "シルテ"(sirute), and in the map the town is labelled as "サイトラ"(saitora). Same thing with Kavala (in Bootcamp "カバラ", in the map "カヴァラ") and some towns... And in the cutscene of Damage Control, "Greenbacks" translated as "ドル紙幣" which means "green bucks" "dollar bill" wtf  - and the translated scripts used em-sized "%" instead of half-size "%" so format cannot show hints, diaries, tasks properly as shown below.

hTE5lmXtOawtZlNIAtp1MQ0xr04EnZcNb1bpSg9q

The translation in East Wind campaign or some basic contents, are not so good, but the Bootcamp one is totally silly.
The bad scripts will destroy newcomer's first gameplay, and this is bad for Japanese community. I don't know why but translating of Apex is much better, in fact quite good quality.
I don't know who translate the scripts but looks like nobody did QA, and I cannot accept this! Is there any chance for change the entire Bootcamp Japanese translation?

• Like 3

i'm a korean so maybe different case, but i agree with you because korean translation is also "not good" quality too. and some characters missing.(so i was made the new korean font with support the 11172 characters.)

if you want change some translation, need to edit the stringtable.xml file in each languagemissions pbo.(bootcamp is languagemissions_f_bootcamp.pbo)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, firewill said:

i'm a korean so maybe different case, but i agree with you because korean translation is also "not good" quality too. and some characters missing.(so i was made the new korean font with support the 11172 characters.)

if you want change some translation, need to edit the stringtable.xml file in each languagemissions pbo.(bootcamp is languagemissions_f_bootcamp.pbo)

Yes, I tried to change the translation but there are too many of scripts so change "%" to "%" is only thing I did and this is not enough for improve.

10 minutes ago, polpox said:

Yes, I tried to change the translation but there are too many of scripts so change "%" to "%" is only thing I did and this is not enough for improve.

of course many scripts(containers in xml file) in there, but it can't be helped. take the many time for translate is only way.

for example (stringtable.xml in languagemissions_f_bootcamp.pbo)

<Container name="x20_Mark_Hill_Wrong_1" audioFilePath="\a3\dubbing_f_bootcamp\boot_m03" dialogName="x20_Mark_Hill_Wrong_1" dubbingLanguage="english" namePrefix="boot_m03_x20_mark_hill_wrong_1" note="" participants="BOOT B Adams;" situation="player takes too long or marks the wrong location">
            <Key ID="str_a3_boot_m03_x20_mark_hill_wrong_1_ada_0">
              <Original>A hill with a chapel, Sergeant. Southwest of Syrta.</Original>
              <French>Une colline avec une chapelle, sergent. Sud-ouest de Syrte.</French>
              <Spanish>Una colina con una capilla, sargento. Al suroeste de Syrta.</Spanish>
              <Italian>Una collina con una piccola chiesa, sergente. A sud-ovest di Syrta.</Italian>
              <Polish>Wzgórze z kaplicą, sierżancie. Na południowy zachód od Syrta.</Polish>
              <Russian>Холм с часовней, сержант. К юго-западу от Сирты.</Russian>
              <German>Ein Hügel mit einer Kapelle, Feldwebel. Südwestlich von Syrta.</German>
              <Czech>Kopec s kaplí, seržante. Jihozápadně od Syrty.</Czech>
              <English>A hill with a chapel, Sergeant. Southwest of Syrta.</English>
              <Portuguese>Uma colina com uma capela, Sargento. A sudoeste de Syrta.</Portuguese>
              <Korean>예배당이 있는 언덕을 찾아보게, 병장. 시르타의 남서쪽.</Korean>
              <Japanese>丘の上の教会です、軍曹。シルテの南西。</Japanese>
            </Key>
          </Container>

there is "シルテ" not "シルタ", so need to change and keep translate and next.

when i was translate the Arma2:OA campaign/mission for korean, take almost 2~3 months.

• Like 1

I'm really surprised by this and sorry to hear. You would hope that the translators would be native speakers, to prevent these silly mistakes. Their English doesn't even have to be that good, because the game text is not complex. Using right/by law instead of right/direction is a very silly mistake and confusing in the game. Is the current text just run through a translation machine?

46 minutes ago, joostsidy said:

Is the current text just run through a translation machine?

I have no idea but maybe. In fact, Google "Take the right coming up." will return "右に来てください。"(come to the right.) and "来る権利を取ります。".

I (Dutch person) remember that 'hidari' is 'left' from martial arts classes. All starting positions started with left ('Hidari kamae, hajime!'), so I did not learn what 'right' was Last year when I visited Tokyo I asked someone, I think it was 'migi'. Now my knowledge of directions in Japanese is complete.. ;-)

Hello everybody. Thank you very much for this valuable feedback. This is definitely something to take into serious consideration. Truth be told, we are aware of issues with the legacy Arma 3 texts and we are fixing anything reported by the community. Currently we are focusing on fine-tuning the new content primarily and to offer the best localization of new content as possible. Fixing the legacy content is a result of fixes of the new content (like UI, weapon descriptions, strings shared across DLCs, etc.). You have correctly observed Apex localization is of higher quality - the reason for this is we have recognized the shortcomings some time after the Marksmen DLC and we have been improving our processes ever since - and implemented a higher-quality team of translators, proofreaders and we have ramped up our localization testing procedures. There is not many resources to fully fix bugs which have remained in the legacy texts, but you are right we should do something to improve at least the first impression areas of the game for Japanese and Korean players, especially when the new content is already in good quality. I will see what I can do about that. Last but not least, it probably did not help that back in the day, Japanese and Korean localization of the base Arma 3 was done by our Japanese and Korean distribution partners, out of control of Bohemia Interactive. Which is something which has changed after the Marksmen DLC, we are working on all languages by ourselves, managed in-house in cooperation with external reliable partners. In any case, we will be happy for any report you can make in case you see a bug or a linguistic error. I will fix it personally based on such reports. Just report this in Feedback Tracker (and assign to falagor if you can).

How to structure reports in Feedback Tracker? Use the following checklist:

1) State the language version (Japanese, Korean...)

2) Clearly state what is wrong

3) State where the issue is, how to locate it (reproduction steps)

4) Mention the wrong text (if any)

5) Mention the correct text or correct solution to the issue (what you suggest as the correct version)

6) Attach a screenshot clearly showing the bug (you can highlight it by coloured frame or underline it in red) - very important, otherwise we are blind without this

We have established an Arma 3 Apex thread for localization bugs, so that is an alternative for you as well. But we really prefer if you report it in the Feedback Tracker - easier for you and for us. :)

Thank you!

• Like 3

I am creating post for Feedback Tracker - I can't believe it, there are tooooooooooo many than I imagine...

Maybe I can post it today or tomorrow.

It is enough to ruin some Japanese's gameplay and will never launch the game again. Sadly, there is no news about that...

I am going to make some properly Japanese conversation MOD to save someone.

• Thanks 1