Version 1.6 has been just released.

• Added: Co-Pilots can enable the autopilot if they take the control
  • Added: Switch sound when autopilot is engaged or disengaged

Enjoy! :)

• Like 2

Thank You very much for this MOD!

Maybe you know mission called: Death from above - Blackfish at work from Steam?

It have very useful script integrated into the mission.

That allow to set:  loiter point (fly around), radius distance, altitude, speed, e.t.c.

It will be GREAT if you can ask permission from script maker and integrate this script into your MOD or do something similar by yourself. (for all flying vehicles not only for blackfish)

It fit nice into concept of you MOD.

What do you think?

Thank You.

• Like 1

version 2.0 released

• Added: Loiter functionality to airplanes
  • Added: Speed fix for helicopters
  • Added: Pitch will be adjusted to -5° by helicopters automatically
  • Tweaked: Pitch limit by helicopters is increased to 25°
  • Tweaked: +-10° is the band where helicopters are fixing their speed. Pitch angles outside of this band can be used to alter speed
  • Added: Rudder will turn off autopilot by helicopters

I advise to read the initial entry to see more details.

I posted some videos in first message for version 2.0.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Version 2 is working well, but I'm finding the cameras (on the blackfish especially) are very shakey - makes it difficult to aim properly.

I'm also finding it hard to judge exactly where I'll be orbiting.  Is it possible to show that player only a loiter point?  Can the loiter radius be changed on the fly?

Thanks for your continued work ... it is really shaping up to be a must-have mod !

I thought it is already a must-have mod :P

I checked the blackfish and yes camera is a bit shakey. I made some adjustments but I am worried the adjustment might have ill effect by another airplane which will mean I will end up with setups per airplane..

Loiter radius adjustment is in future plans :) See the first message of this thread

I might need more math to calculate the exact circle to show the loiter path.. :( I am not sure I can handle that bit but if someone does the math part I can include it in script to draw the path

• Like 2

F 16 also have shake TGP in loiter mode

Could the circle be shown in map mode only (or are you thinking overlaid onto mainscreen view) ?  I can remember a mod in which you set your loiter position on the map and the aircraft flew off to it and started the loiter circle.  I think it was for a Spooky AC130.

I thought BIS had sorted the camera shake for TGP.

Thanks for improvements !!!

9 hours ago, Devastator_cm said:

Loiter radius adjustment is in future plans :) See the first message of this thread

please add also adjustment for speed, height and selection of loiter point (by map cklicking)

as i mention before, there is already existed script, that do exactly everything you try to do from scratch (in this mission http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=727797421&searchtext=death+from+above)

so maybe it simpler to contact script maker and ask him permission to use it in your mod ?

or, at least you can sneak peek how things done there :)

12 hours ago, boombastic said:

Thanks for improvements !!!

please add also adjustment for speed, height and selection of loiter point (by map cklicking)

as i mention before, there is already existed script, that do exactly everything you try to do from scratch (in this mission http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=727797421&searchtext=death+from+above)

so maybe it simpler to contact script maker and ask him permission to use it in your mod ?

or, at least you can sneak peek how things done there :)

The world is not that simple. This mod works when the pilot is human and not ai.

That mission has AI pilot, so standart Arma 3 waypoint "LOITER" is doing all the thing. If you guys have the source code of vanilla loiter waypoint please share with me and I will implement it :))

On the topic of improving loiter is their anyway to use the vanilla interface for aerial drone control to set loiter with finer control?, and by extension also allow pilots to set waypoints for autopilot and all the other options available in drone control, dunno if its possible to turn the plane into a drone when you engage autopilot or something

• Like 1

I thought of something: If we could have a Tablet and plot a course with WP`s ,we can get a completely new feature never heard of in Arma 3-a Terrain Following Radar!

If we know how high the mountains or tall terrain features are we could set an altitude for a WP and set a speed and if you can make the plane pull up and dive sharply ,we could avoid the mountains.

Just use the Loiter function.Then make a GUI ,prefered a new ,bigger on inside a Tablet with a zoom and with a setting 20-3000m altitude range and possible use the Targeting Pod`s laser find out the distance to the nearest hindrance in meters and set a range in meters like a circle that makes the AP

issue a pull-up order in g`s -a 4g pull-up with an inverted dive and followed by a reset to 1g horizon flight would probably manage most regular speeds.

If we can punch-in a new altitude setting with the num-pad it would be the best way to do any changes to it.

A cockpit instrument display-a laser looking forward and possibly finding the GPS -position and checking when it will arrive there at set speed (-In the F-111 aircraft down to 200ft),and with a linehorizon that moves up and makes the AP set a flight path higer than the obstacle might work.

If you want to know how Firewill`s Ah-9 drone works - it`s made as a drone -you can download and a check the config for you`re self.

Hope this will help somewhat. I love the Loiter -using it all the time.

Turning on autopilot while sling loading an object in a helicopter will cause the object being sling loaded to drop unintentionally by sling-shooting it forward or straight dropping to the ground (un-attaching it).

7 minutes ago, CPT Dubois said:

Turning on autopilot while sling loading an object in a helicopter will cause the object being sling loaded to drop unintentionally by sling-shooting it forward or straight dropping to the ground (un-attaching it).

hm this is a very interesting case which I never tested before. I will take a look to this mod after I finish some on going Devas TAF mod stuff, until then do not start autopilot when you sling load :)