Sign in to follow this  
Harnu

Strategies and tactics that work!

hide inside bouldings (if there is a second floor, go to second floor),snipe from the window. Its the last place peole think of.

and mortars, law and flares are rocking in night maps

Actually hab, that's normally one of the first places I look in an enemy town if I knwo there's someone there but I can't find them. However I do agree in the fact that if you can do it well, you should definately do it.

As far as what fire mode. Anything but burst. When I'm closing in on a town, It's best to stay semi-auto. But when you get into the town, go full. And I don't mean spray and pray, fire it like it were semi-auto, but there are the times you really need the full.

Actually, my comment about semi-auto only was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I don't think you should ONLY use semi, but I do think that in the majority of cases it's better than burst. I agree though, in a town like Montignac or any other decent sized town you're better off with full auto. But there's been many a time when I could have downed someone faster with semi and died because I thought for sure that the spray would get them.

Semi Auto - least amount of recoil and if you have good twitch finger muscles you can fire 3 times not that much slower than burst with a TON more accuracy. 3 quick shots in semi seems to have far less recoil on EVERY weapon except the HK MP5 and Bizon

Burst - a bunch of guys on my team swear by burst, but they're also the guys who will inadvertantly shoot at me thinking I'm an enemy and miss with the first 2 bursts at 100m. Just enough time for me to shout "DON'T SHOOT ME, MORON" over comms, so maybe burst isn't all that bad. ;-)

Full Auto - the HK and Bizon are full auto kings with no recoil to really speak of, and plenty of spray-n-pray goodness. The other full autos seem to jump WAY too much. I've never shot a full auto rifle in real life, but do they really jump that much? Even the first 3 shots in full auto will climb more than burst which doesn't seem to make much sense to me, but ok. Full auto with crosshairs coming around buildings is a handy trick though. Aim at their knees and by the time the barrel climbs you're shooting their melon.

yes full auto is very useful aks rock for that fact, in towns u meet sum one unexpectaly u can hose em while they mige get one shot off u got 30, also when u find that sniper thats camping your spawn its good to give 30 in the face release sum anger

The biggest issue, -ever- in MP. Communication

If you don't talk to your teammates, you will never win. I have a perfect example of this.

We were playing [sAS] Urban (CTF map), which is on Nogova. And there are two of the 8-story buildings, the tallest kind you know?

Anyways, I was on one, with my G36, calling out targets, and picking off the enemy campers/snipers. Then I see movement on the other tall building, I can't see which side the person is on, as the building is sort of far off, and he was lying down just at the edge of it. So I type out on the side channel "Everyone, report positions!"

No replies, so I type: "Person on the 8-story building, ID yourself, NOW!"

Ten seconds, no reply. I hear gunfire all around me, explosions going off, so I figure "I best take this shot now, I might get whacked soon".

I shoot, and what do you know, the silly sod was on my team.

And you know what he does?

He starts screaming about how stupid I am.

If he had just said "It's me"

Or even "I'm ontop of this and that building" when he first got up (as I always do) I wouldn't have capped him.

That's the key to any successful operation.

Communication.

- Let your team know where you are

- Let your team know where you are going

- Let your team know what you can see

- Decide on an overall strategy which you will all follow, who goes where, what's our primary goal, in case A happens where do we go? And so on.

And also, as someone has mentioned, do not forget defence. It's no good if you all rush off to grab their flag, and leave your own flag exposed.

That's it for now, I think.

And stay together by 2 at least, 3 is perfect.

A group running on you is always more frightening than a single rambo, and make mutual cover much easier.

Yes stay together is a good thing you can cover the flank of your team and be covered in your back, but never without a security distance between member of a squad .

Handgrenade (or mortar or M203 grenades.. ) in middle of a grouped squad or a HEAT shell right on them is very efficient and AI is very good at using this wink.gif .

What I like to do if I can get a group, is when you are moving in, stay quite far from each other.  Like 50-150m.  This way if one of you is spotted, the others arent.  But you are still close enough for support.

Covering Fire and Base of fire tactics dont work in OFP. against AI or Humans.

Simple Reason being, no one has a fear of death.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Azz [GUN] @ Nov. 14 2002,00:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Covering Fire and Base of fire tactics dont work in OFP. against AI or Humans.

Simple Reason being, no one has a fear of death.<span id='postcolor'>

Too true. Though suppressive fire through grenades or mortars work.

If you start lobbing mortar rounds or M203 'nades into the enemy's main route they will think twice before rushing towards you. Which will give your teammates time to stop, drop, and fire their weapons at the enemy.

If nothing else, you can force your enemy to dive into cover, meaning they won't see you, thus your team can move into position unnoticed.

Guess it works to a degree with the AI when trying things like that out I ussaly go on the desert Island throw some obstacles in and such then fire a couple rounds into the enemy just to see what they will do. they ussaly run for cover. or sometimes run around like headless chickens

I guess it works to some extent. but not really as much as one would hope.

Aye, it's seems to be pretty random what the AI does. If you don't change a thing in the mission, just keep hitting 'restart', it's quite possible that you will see the AI behave differently each time. And on the other hand, it's possible that they do the exact same thing each time you do it.

OFP is a very unpredictable game in that way biggrin.gif

One thing I desire in OFP, is a greater sense of tactics used in combat. Especially infantry combat.

What happens now is that most people take the route that is most direct towards the flag/objective/enemy base.

You want to get there as fast as possible.

But, what if you take your time and set up a proper assault?

Say you've got 8 people on your team.

2 of them, a machinegunner and a guy with M203/Mortar, preferably, swing 'round the flank. They should strive to get pretty much sideways to the enemy, and as high above them as possible.

Then, the other 6 guys advance, under the cover of MG fire and (if possible) M203/mortar fire. (Not from the 2-man team)

Once the enemy has percieved this threat, and turned their attention towards them, the 2-man team open up. At this point, all the enemies (pretty much) will be looking the wrong way, and many of them will have gathered up at natural points of defence. The M203 guy has a large chance of taking out several enemies in one round, and the MG-gunner can just spray them. If you've got 'nades going off all around you, and at least one MG gunner giving you the full bullet-spray, your main objective is mostly to survive. Get the f**k into cover, and not to organise some sort of defence against this.

Now, for the attacking force, make sure that the 2-man team stops shooting as soon as the main force reaches the enemy position. The M203/mortar can switch to single-fire mode and pop any enemies that survived. But the MG-gunners should hold fire.

Now, that's a sure-fire way to beat your enemy. Especially when playing against humans. The AI is far to perceptive (sees you 500+ meters out) to fall for this.

Damn, I should shut up now.

there is fear of death if ive spent the last 5mins getting to the fight ild be dammed if im gona get shot by sum sniper or anybody, when i hear bullets comin my wat i seek solid cover, and find where he is and shoot the sucker, there is fear of death because in ofp u spend alot of time just getting to the fight. Like max lifes on a rtcw server i played it changed the game.

I agree some ppl dont have any snese of tactics or fear of death. I am usually the loner that decides to take the extra ten minutes running so far out of my way to get behind the enemy that i can't even hear the battle anymore, and when all the sudden their 2-3 defenders start getting capped, they think that my teams assault really worked good so they run off to try and stop em, and bam objective secured. OK time to go smoke a cigarette, aren't you guys glad I stopped rambling. So hows the weather? biggrin.gif Take it easy.

Well the fear of death depends what kind of map are you playing. Good player vs player map without respawn gives you the fear of some kind. Respawn maps just ruins the whole realistic war sim mood.

I think it boils down to one simple fact... Does your team care if they win? In most public games, absolutely not. There might be a few guys from one squad on the same team who care and don't want to get whooped, but as a whole unless your whole team cares if they win you're going to see only one thing....careless tactics.

In public games even when I snipe (something I take great pride in doing well) I will use the easier spots, the more obvious routes, the hidey-holes that I would attract watchful eyes in a tournament or scrimmage game. So a lot of tactics that some of you guys say don't work most certainly do when people care and have something on the line as a team.

Sure, suppressive fire tactics won't work even in a perfect OFP game like they would in real life, but even in a game of C&H for a tournament that's only 30 minutes long, if you're throwing lead at the enemy's route they are going to think twice. Sure, there's things about OFP that don't make it as useful as it could be. Like the fact that machine guns are ungodly inaccurate at any range longer than 100m firing full auto. But hey you can't have everything I guess. Not even OFP is perfect.

Btw, nothing keeps heads down like sniper fire. And if it's not keeping heads down than it is at least shifting the focus of the enemy so that they have to devote manpower to finding you and killing you. Nothing like 2 or 3 guys having to stop to hunt for 1 guy to make the odds for your team a lot better somewhere else on the field. Good ol' guerilla tactics.

I think a good bit of thanks should go out to map designers who aren't afraid to make the trek from spawn painfully long for those who die. Sure, you're not dead permanently but it might take you 1/3 of the game just to get back into the action. Respawning isn't so much of a bad thing for gameplay. But don't even get me started on respawning vehicles (except jeeps) because if there's anything out there that is ruining multiplayer tactics it's respawning vehicles like heavy armor and choppers.

Snipers can be a great tactic.  But can also be horrible on a public server.  I was getting pinned down near a spot by a sniper.  I told my team that I was being held up.  Some guys came my way (General public I don't give a damn and am just passing through players came my way).  I told them to get down.  But nope, they just stand straight up and keep running.  That sniper has some fun with those guys.  But I guess I do owe them a bit of favor in that the sniper revealed his position by shooting at them.

Another good tactic is fast insertion with choppers.  Namely a blackhawk.  On Stoner's House of Pancakes a few days ago, I was ferrying friendlies to desired LZ's.  On this particular map parachutes were disabled so a good (Or pretty decent pilot like me) is needed.  Using a technique for fast insertion (thank you Tex [uSMC] for giving me pointers a while back on my fast insertion, and how to improve it) I got guys into hot areas.  And got out before armor or RPG's could get a hold of me.

And just a quick poll, how many of you actually choose the sniper role during startup.  I usually grab an Officer slot.  Becuase in OFP, the guille suit seems a bit over-rated.  Expecially becuase as the sniper class your weapon mag capacity is so limited.  I'm not saying you need 9 Mags.  But sometimes Mines, Satchels, Handgrenades, or Smokeshells can come in handy.

Well I havent been venturing to ofp much recently online anyways for one reason which I stressed before.

!!Lack Of Leadership!!

Why wont people play as teams ? it's beyond me.

I was on german-troopers server about 2 hours ago.

Tthere was a 6 man team of Resistance and then a 2 man team of US. Snipers. cant remember the exact mission name. but you basically had to stop incomming soviets from taking a town.

now I had noorders given to me throught the whole mission. not ONE. I was one of the west snipers now i watched the resistance leader in my scope.

now this guy went completely rambo doubt he gave any orders. and he just went on his own killing everthing not giving anyone else a chance evan.

at the end he had like 30 kills and then the other 7 of us had 5 Max. including 3 people having no kills myself being one of them. it wasnt a lack of kills because we missed the enemy when we shot at him the fact is that there was no enemy left for us to shoot.

this rambo like leader. who was also the admin, went and RPG'ed everything in sight.

now at the end I was sitting there thinking to myself this is bloody pointless he might as well of played single player. and i have just wasted 30 minutes. i didnt stick around to see what was going to happen next.

Why dont people make an effort to play as a team ?

I've seen a lot of good comments,

and I agree on most of them. But the trick is when to use which tactic in what situation. For myself: I have still too much of a Rambo in me, delearning it as fast as I can smile.gif

One of the favourite tactics I use (when applicable), is the real fast lone ranger up front, going to the flag as fast as possible (e.g. CastleConflict at Nogova). The fact that the other team already holds the area usually demoralises the enemy, plus they have to fight their way in. Mostly they don't know it's quite easy, since there is only 1 man opposing them (if hidden well). In the mean time the rest of the team can come in on a more normal pace, and fight it out on more than equal terms smile.gif

And I agree that the willingness of the team to want to win makes the difference. On the above mentioned map we had a 2 vs 2 fight going on. The other team trashed our base while we were away (I hated that), but we were so pissed we *really* wanted to win. So we did, the enemy always has to get out in order to capture the flag, and that was the moment we would hit them hard and sure. Even though they had 1 BMP from us, and M113's, they never stood a chance: every time when the castle was cleared we would move to another point, waiting again for them to arrive, knowing they would not find us. And the moment they stepped out...

Well, the rest you can image smile.gif

best regards,

[GWG] Striker

The problem with leadership is that you basically have to play on a server quite a bit, and get to know the regulars. Once you have some respect, then you can lead. And to lead, it's almost nessecary to have a voice comm. It can get quite difficult trying to command humans saying "move to 01 23".

anyone ever tried this?

get a MM-1(Heavy Grenader) and if you spot some enemies, carpet-grenade ( tounge.gif ) the area. i tried this against a group of AIs in 'UnderHill' MP, and had good laugh from other ppl.

I love doing that. Except that once your grenades run out, you're as good as dead sad.gif

In some or Karrillions maps he puts in cessnas wiht GBU Armorments smile.gif Fun to carpet bomb cities or small island tounge.gif.

But more seriously, the heavy grenader can be quite a tool in helping preapre for an attack. 12 Grenades into an enemy town can really do some damage.

Does anyone else ever use mines in OFP? I try to lay out some patterns near places I see enemy armor come through. But I don't have much luck. I try to place one dead center on the road. Then others nearby evenly spaced. Anyone have any tactics for mines?

the prob with ofp mp it always turns into an unorganised mess, the most cooperation u get is ppl giving rides other than that everyone is search and destroy sumtimes ppl follow ppl around but thats mostly cos when they find the nme theres a 50/50 chance they wont be shot at. Games like rtcw r a type that force team work where u wont even get near the obj without sum balance of forces, but ofp nothing is forced and at times rambos can be more useful than organised groups that give a sniper a field day when 4-5 guys get in his line of sight. Though all of this i have found CTI and RTS to be the most fun modes to play even tho most of the time u drop too many ppl or play to long for the waiters but theirs an orgainsed team with a common goal nobodies out looking for ppl to kill their back at abse setting up defences of going out to capture reasources or scout out the nme base for the rest of the team, things like player 1 and 2 attack with tank squads and player 3 paradrops 2 ai squads from his ch47 right on top of the nme. Its a war with a chain of command, things like C&H ctf etc just make ppl go on a death match.