Pomi Git

Hanter's Gorge Terrain by Bushlurker

Hanter's Gorge By Bushlurker

As most of you will be aware Bushlurker, a well respected member of this community, sadly passed away in January. During the development of the Imperial Assault mod I approached Bush to ask for his assistance in creating a terrain for the mod. Despite the fact that he already had a lot on his plate he very generously agreed. He chose to do Tatooine and specifically a region called Hanter's Gorge. What is Hanter's Gorge I hear you ask? Fair question and when he told me I had never heard of it. In fact you wont actually find it listed on most maps, but you can see it listed on this picture here (no. 6):

Tatooine_Map.jpg

For those that saw our first live stream, this was the terrain we used. Unfortunately for a combination of reasons we were unable to get the terrain to a state in which it could be released.

With the news of his passing I have been asked to consider releasing the map as a tribute to his fine work and honour the many contributions he made to the community. I'm more than happy to do this however I have never had the time to learn the terrain tools so I will need some help. 

Status of the map

• The terrain itself is done but is completely barren of any objects, this includes the basics for any map e.g. rocks.
  • The map has no in game map picture
  • The map title has a typo "Tattoine" instead of "Tatooine"
  • The map has hard cut off of hills on all sides. I understand it may be possible to give the map endless mountains

I've made a little video with a fly through of the map in an unfinished X-Wing from the cancelled mod.

So where to from here? As I see it, there's a few options:

1. Release it "as-is" with all its outstanding (minor) issues and lack of terrain objects. I have a packed version Bush sent me which can be released immediately. This will be the default option if I dont receive any offers of help
  2. Fix all the outstanding issues and add some appropriate nature objects. Bush was kind enough to send me the source files so this is definitely possible.
  3. Go all out and make a proper Tatooine map complete with buildings and towns. This is going to require a lot of help and would take time

Please share your thoughts and if you would like to help out please send me a PM.

Cheers

Pomi

• Like 21

First of all RIP Bushlurker! The News of his dead makes me sad, a very talented mapper! I'm still using his strange New World maps, there are very few authentic Sci-fi maps for ArmA 3 and his maps are great for Sci-fi missions.

Lets move on to the map releasing topic: If you ask me, sure release it, but most of the ArmA 3 users have no reason to use it. It's because SW stuff for

ArmA3 is non existent any longer:

1. You BHI guys took the SW Imperial Assault mod completely offline, a few got lucky and downloaded it when it was still available in January last year. People are still begging for sharing this mod on Steam discussion board, in Youtube comments, on ArmA Reddit and so on...

2. There are no news from McRuppert's Jedi Lightsaber combat mod for a half year, is it still WIP or cancelled?

So there is simply no SW content for most of the community available. Though, If you fill the map with authentic SW models, the few SW: Imperial Assault users that are left will thank you, me too!

If I may suggest a fourth option: Fix the outstanding issues and release the map with a few typical SW static objects placeable in the editor like a water vaporator and Tatooine houses.

There was a SW Imperial Assault screenshot once with a Stormtrooper standing in front of a water vaporator, a tatooine farm house and a Star destroyer was in the background. These assets never got released.

This option would provide new SW-stuff for SW fans but also a desert like map for non SW-fans plus it isn't as much time consuming as your third Option. SW content for ArmA 3 tend to never getting released...

Anyways, thanks considering to share this map, though I'm wondering a BHI member touches anything SW related because of the past, very interesting...

Looking forward!

Edited by Kazalla
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kazalla said:

This option would provide new SW-stuff for SW fans but also a desert like map for non SW-fans plus it isn't as much time consuming as your third Option. SW content for ArmA 3 tend to never getting released...

Well there is the big elephant in the room which is called copyright, what with Disney now holding the rights to SW.

19 minutes ago, Kazalla said:

Anyways, thanks considering to share this map, though I'm wondering a BHI member touches anything SW related because of the past, very interesting...

Aside from all the politics of not releasing SW content, i asked in the Busklurker tribute thread if Pomigit could consider releasing it as a tribute. I am glad to see this thread and look forward to playing the map with or without SW static objects. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, R0adki11 said:

Well there is the big elephant in the room which is called copyright, what with Disney now holding the rights to SW.

If you release it with names like "tatooine house1"  sure, if you name it like "traditional tunisian farmstead building" there is not much Disney can do, because buildings like this still exist in Tunisia (have been there).

• Like 2

I'd like to keep this thread focused on the purpose of the release I.e. to honour Bushlurker.

I suppose I should have expected it to provoke some reaction related to the cancelled mod, but this wasn't intended to be an opportunity to discuss it. 

But on that note, the second option could include simply making no reference to Tatooine. The terrain itself is just something Bushlurker came up with that he thought was appropriate for what we wanted. 

Also this won't be an official BHI release, it'll be a community collaboration, assuming I get some help that is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kazalla said:

If I may suggest a fourth option: Fix the outstanding issues and release the map with a few typical SW static objects placeable in the editor like a water vaporator and Tatooine houses.

That's basically what I was suggesting for option 3.

• Like 1

Did some research on Hanters Gorge, but informations about it are very sparse. There are no settlements or farms located in this area. Hanter's Gorge is part of the Jundland wastes (translation: No man's land). The only points of interest would be a Tusken Raider camp and the Jawa sandcrawler route that runs through the northern part of this area.

Edit: Maybe a few not recorded spaceship wreckages could be added to the area (neither Disney canon nor EU lore).

Edit2: Examples for Tusken Raider camp design can be found in SW Episode 2 (only a few scattered tents) or SW Knights of the old Republic (more fortified and optically interesting one).

I'd suggest to add those things as Eden editor objects. I think it would be preferable to keep the map clean of SW-specific things, both to avoid problems and to allow it to be used by non-SW mods that needs a "forsaken desert someplace on Earth".

• Like 2

Yes to be honest I'm leaning towards a generic map. Maybe even add those memorial objects made by Kiory and Uro at different landmarks. 

• Like 1

I hope you can get some help with this, if so I suggest you go for option two so the map can have a more general use in the arma community.

• Like 2

I just looked it up, and from what little I can find even the Tusken Raiders call it the "False mouth". So yeah, doesn't sound like a bustling place.

What if it was released as an "earth" version that was kind of tribute and then released a second "sci-fi" one thats basically the same thing with a couple additional little SW things scattered around for better use with SW content?

• Like 1

Id be more inclined to just release any tatooine buildings separately so that people could populate it as they wished, but its not really a priority.

I have some good news anyway @m1lkm8n has offered to help get the terrain finished. At this stage i'll focus on simply tidying up the loose ends and populating the map with rocks and foliage. And ill chat to Kiory about including his Bushlurker statue and packaging it up with the map

• Like 2

Go for a generic terrain because there is no telling when there will be some sort of a Star Wars mod. So I'm saying go for option two. Three would be way too much work and pointless without any Star Wars units and vehicles.

• Like 3

There already is a Star Wars mod (called Imperial Assault, I think). I don't know how compatible it is with the latest ArmA and how active the development is, but they did release an early version.

1 hour ago, dragon01 said:

There already is a Star Wars mod (called Imperial Assault, I think). I don't know how compatible it is with the latest ArmA and how active the development is, but they did release an early version.

Yes that was by my team :)

• Like 3

Not that I want this to derail this discussion from paying tribute to Bushlurker. But I've seen a SW mod on Youtube called Star Wars Opposition. It looks to be made by the Russian community, and contains SW maps, vehicles from both OT & PT as well as characters. E.g. Republic/CIS/Empire/Rebellion. I'm not sure how long they've been going but its pretty impressive, they don't seem to have been bothered by Disney. Could you not start up Imperial Assault again and truly pay tribute to Bush by completing his map with a fully dedicated team behind you?

7 hours ago, Johno89 said:

Not that I want this to derail this discussion from paying tribute to Bushlurker. But I've seen a SW mod on Youtube called Star Wars Opposition. It looks to be made by the Russian community, and contains SW maps, vehicles from both OT & PT as well as characters. E.g. Republic/CIS/Empire/Rebellion. I'm not sure how long they've been going but its pretty impressive, they don't seem to have been bothered by Disney. Could you not start up Imperial Assault again and truly pay tribute to Bush by completing his map with a fully dedicated team behind you?

Yes I am aware of this so called mod. The guys are a bunch of shameless and ignorant thieves. Its made up of ripped models from star wars games and our cancelled mod. I would never work on anything with guys like that

• Like 1

Wow did not expect such thievery could take place. But when I said 'dedicated team' I meant reforming your old Imperial Assault team, not working with Opposition. This SW Opposition however, despite being grossly illegal for a number of reasons shows that modifying a game with the SW IP can take place without a C&D from Disney. You could re-band together and finish BushLurkers map.  

This is getting way off topic :) Happy for you to raise any questions about the BHI team in the dedicated discussion thread we have

A quick update, I decided to make a platform for Kiory's monument to stand on, nothing too fancy. Both will be integrated into the map. Ill probably also release the source files for the platform for people to use once the map is out. The bollard's are a separate model so you could potentially use it for many other purposes.

• Like 8

I made some stone steps, a render from Substance Painter is included in the above album. The plan is to have steps heading up the mountain. I'm also thinking of doing a rope bridge.

Am open to suggestions to help popular the map with some simple items

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pomigit said:

Am open to suggestions to help popular the map with some simple items

I would focus exclusively on clutter objects like rocks, and maybe weeds, at first.

It is something I still love about Bush's strange new worlds : on one hand, you have to place structures yourself (Eden is making that easier than it used to be), but on the other you are free to experiment and set any mood you would imagine. ;)

• Like 2

Regarding clutter models, avoid using any of these as they suffer from horrendeous pop-in.

Spoiler

c_PlantGermander_group

c_StrWeedBrownTall_group

c_StrWeedGreenTall

c_Thistle_Thorn_Brown

c_Thistle_Thorn_Desert

c_Thistle_Thorn_Gray

c_Thistle_Thorn_Green

c_StrThornGray

c_StrThornGreen

c_StrThornKhaki

None of these render in properly until your literally on top of them.....shameless plug as example

• Like 2

@m1lkm8n is focusing on clutter objects. Im just adding in a few extra things, primarily for the monument. 

• Like 2