oukej

Tanks - Fire-control system

12 minutes ago, Strike_NOR said:

This has gotten slightly off-topic I guess, but a few things come to mind before the mods come hunting for us ;) 

It certainly has, hope this thread can get back on topic now.

• Like 2

I'm glad the Dev's have brought this  in ,, as an Ex tanker I learn t to to estimate ranges which is quite possible within the game mechanics of Arma 2 and 3 ,, but having now a reliable way to lase targets ( without having to use ACE !! ) is fantastic  ,, good work and thank you  !!

• Like 4

@Beagle

That's a myth, rifled barrels don't have higher accuracy when firing fin stabilised shells of any kind.

That's the whole point of the shells being fin stabilised, and no the challenger 2 does have "unsurpassed" precision, in fact pretty much all NATO 120mm smoothbore cannons can achieve the same accuracy while having higher penetration because none of the KE is wasted in spinning a shell that doesn't need spinning.

Actually in all comparative tests, Challenger 1 and Challenger 2 had worse accuracy and general gunnery results than tanks armed with smoothbore guns. For example in Greece, Challenger 2 performance was poor compared to M1A2 and Leopard 2A5.

As of todays update, FCS is extremely unreliable. 

Anyone else?

Fire up a game with a few targets that move back and forth. Lase and shoot a few times. Initally it works, but after a few shots I can't even range the targets. It just "sees through" the targets and gets me the background range. It's like the laser can't detect the vehicle object.

I´ve come along this screenshot of the (supposedly) new gunner view in tanks dlc, and i have a question:

Why would optics in the year 2035 need a texture overlay to make your sights shitty?

It immediately attacked my eyes because i know the effect from a shader (not a texture overlay!) that succeeds in making Terra Nova (~25 years old game) less pixelated on modern resolutions (see pics in spoiler).

The effect rocks when you´re upscaling a game that runs on 640x480 at max.

But seeing a bad copy of it in ArmA 3 seems like someone needed a way to make the gunner sights look "modern & cool" (debatable :eh:) with little to no effort.

56EF3788EDCD786C73CEF6C9A722BBD4475582BD

92329B81DF6500914065D372D83A48B2BB61B470

• Like 2

this pixely overlay is there since alpha... and i always disliked it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, x3kj said:

this pixely overlay is there since alpha... and i always disliked it. 

It was? What a nice indicator for how many vanilla tanks i rode since release!

(hint: there´s nothing like shredding chernarus in a CUP BMP)

Thanks for the information! I would´nt say it eased my mind, but i´ll be consulting the mighty allinone config tomorrow xD

• Haha 1

Just like the movies: we have the space ship "Whatsitfvck-9000" and all the electronics still emit "computing" sound when operated :f:

16 minutes ago, bars91 said:

Just like the movies: we have the space ship "Whatsitfvck-9000" and all the electronics still emit "computing" sound when operated :f:

Would´nt be all that bad if it was "lore-friendly" like the first alien movie with it´s vhs scanlines and stuff ... but a game toting railguns and aerodynamically improved A-10´s?

tbh tho my biggest gripe is the overlay thingie as such, could aswell be hello kitty themed and be just as ridiculous :D

Just now, mr burns said:

*snip

Arma 3 is actually (no joke) fast becoming late-90's-retro-cyberpunk with it's portrayal or "future tech". FCS/scopes/HUD basic implementation and all.

P.S. now I have to re-watch Alien (aand maybe Blade Runner 1982) :evil:

• Like 2

Don't know if anyone else has said it but what would be incredibly nice and useful would be if you could as the gunner lock the turret to the hull.

34 minutes ago, lonewolf96 said:

...gunner lock the turret to the hull.

Or just have gunner/commander 1p view (not in optics) connected to the same "1p free look" as driver/pilot (same togglable default in options)

6 hours ago, bars91 said:

Or just have gunner/commander 1p view (not in optics) connected to the same "1p free look" as driver/pilot (same togglable default in options)

True, but this only works for vehicles without PIP. In the Marshall, for instance, you can actually use the first person cockpit view to fight. It would probably be more backwards-compatible and safe to have it as an actionmenu thing (lock controls). It could act the same as when the gunner turns out. Just centers the gun and keeps it there. Would be especially useful on vehicles where the barrel has a collision model!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Strike_NOR said:

... where the barrel has a collision model!

Speakin of which... can we finally get tank barrel collisions to make urban combat in tanks an extreme PITA it is IRL? :dozingoff:

2 hours ago, bars91 said:

Speakin of which... can we finally get tank barrel collisions to make urban combat in tanks an extreme PITA it is IRL? :dozingoff:

As far as I'm aware, Arma 3's vanilla tanks used to have barrel collisions but BI decided to remove it many updates ago due to the tanks flipping when their barrel hit objects.

Yup, tank barrel collisions are sadly a nono (not only in Arma). We don't have proper physical systems that would solve tank movement vs. blocked turret rotation.

40 minutes ago, oukej said:

Yup, tank barrel collisions are sadly a nono (not only in Arma). We don't have proper physical systems that would solve tank movement vs. blocked turret rotation.

im not sure, but wasnt tank barrel collisions in previous arma titles? or it was a mod for arma 2 but im not 100% sure now if it was a mod feature or game feature

5 minutes ago, lato190 said:

im not sure, but wasnt tank barrel collisions in previous arma titles? or it was a mod for arma 2 but im not 100% sure now if it was a mod feature or game feature

It was, but it was removed because it resulted in the tanks being thrown harder and faster into the air than the rounds they fire.

1 hour ago, lato190 said:

I just checked it, all guns have a collision model in ArmA II, but it acts really wierd, like pushing the whole vehicle away on contact with objects.

That's also the case in RHS. You can try that mod to see how well that works... Just try turning the barrel when there's not enough space for that, and watch a mulit-ton tank get lofted into the air. :) 

50 minutes ago, dragon01 said:

That's also the case in RHS. You can try that mod to see how well that works... Just try turning the barrel when there's not enough space for that, and watch a mulit-ton tank get lofted into the air. :) 

What? As far as I know we also disabled physx for vehicles guns.

OK, this might have been from one or two versions ago. Might very well be fixed in the latest one. Now that I think of it, it's been a while since I played around with RHS armor.

8 minutes ago, dragon01 said:

OK, this might have been from one or two versions ago. Might very well be fixed in the latest one. Now that I think of it, it's been a while since I played around with RHS armor.

leopard in BWmod has collision on gun barrel

i already posted this in another thread, but maybe it is more appropriate here:

from my understanding the gun is still stabilized at all times, while the gunner position is manned. this leads to tanks driving around with main guns moving independently from the hull (whobbling), which looks highly unrealistic in non-combat situations.

i had hoped, that the new interior view would have disabled gun stabilization, but it seems, that it did not. probably because of PiP-screens...

it would be great, if we could then get another mechanic to activate/deactivate stabilisation. maybe just a simple keyswitch/toggle. alternatively a "stow gun" action, that disables stabilization and puts gun in a neutral forward facing position...

thanks!

*edit* if gun stabilization was made toggable, there could also be a game mechanic of stabilization failure after damage to appropriate components.