Sign in to follow this  
terox

3D Editor difference between "Enable Simulation" and "Simple Object"

I fully understand the concept of EnableSimulation and how if effects both the object, network traffic and performance

I today noticed the "Simple Object" checkbox.

Could somebody elaborate what exactly this does and also

Should it be run alongside EnableSimulation False, or should I be selecting just one or the other

For this particular scenario, the question is mainly in regards to its useage with hesco barriers and similar objects, not vehicles or anything that the player can interact with

Thanks.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/createSimpleObject

Create object with given shape defined as path to .p3d model. Supported features include collision, texturing, animation, penetration, AI spotting occlusion, and surface specific sounds (like footsteps). Unsupported features include PhysX, damage, AI pathfinding (causes walking through walls), and built in lights.

Given the simulation limitations, global decorative objects can be created with very little network traffic. Objects that could be exclusively created with this command are: trees, bushes, rocks, bridges, roads, vehicle wrecks, custom models in mission, and other objects without a class in config. The height of the placement position might need to be adjusted experimentally.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/187670-new-command-createobject-for-decorative-objects/

what is it good for:

- will create object, that is based only on shape (no config needed)

- object is not simulated, so it will save some performance (no physx, no sounds, not a interesting target for AI,....)

- unlike whole vehicle, it needs very little information to synchronize in MP

- if you need decorative object that would normally need simulation (vehicles, tables, buckets)

what is it not good for:

- cannot handle whole animated soldier with uniform and weapon

- will not help with objects, that already have very limited simulation (walls)

- it cannot destroyed

the real benefit so far is in small object compositions, where the fps drop per object is about 2.5-3x smaller then in createVehicle with disabled simulation.
The MP network traffic should also be significantly lower due to the less frequent syncing.

• Like 1

Thx foir the links and that info, what about my second question..

This just raisesd more questions, both options appear to do the same thing,

Should it be run alongside EnableSimulation False, or should I be selecting just one or the other

In this instance, these are preplaced objects not objects created dynamically