UH-80 AFM Revision

a43Gr8U.png?1

I apologize for not having pretty pictures,

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymn94ir0ja0njwx/KEP_UH80_AFM.7z?dl=0

----Description----

This mod aims to bring increased accuracy to the vanilla UH80 flight model. I felt that this was worthwhile due to deficiencies in the flight model that do not represent, or reflect the visuals/expected performance of the Ghosthawk (the vanilla flight model only has 4 blades per rotor, T700-701C 30 min. engine power, etc.).

The largest implications of this include more hover power, crisper and lighter cyclic response, slightly faster top speed, and more coordinated anti-torque control. Also try to avoid large cyclic movements at high airspeeds. The main rotor may come off.

Included:
- BIS UH-80 AFM revision

----Installation----
Simply extract the contents into a mod folder, then add it as a local mod folder in the launcher.

----Changelog----
02 MAR 2017:

Changed:
- UH-80 AFM
--Increased SL tip speed to M 0.72
--Increased engine HP and torque limits to conform to UH-60M specifications.
--Decreased gear ratio of main gearbox (be careful, high speed transmission failures and main shaft shear are now extremely likely)
--Increased blade root size of main rotor.
--Decreased blade radius of main rotor.
--Increased main rotor blade count to 5 (previously 4).
--Canted tail rotor by 25 degrees.
--Decreased tail rotor blade radius.
--Decreased tail rotor blade chord.
--Changed tail rotor blade count to 5 (previously 4).
--Some other stuff.

• Like 1

I will try today. Hope you expand this mod

5 hours ago, sammael said:

I will try today. Hope you expand this mod

How would you like to see me expand this?

fix RHS and CUP AFM!!!!!! thats all we need mate, and this mod is Great

MAKE ARMA GREAT AGAIN WITH AFM!

Could you expand this to the Huron, AH-9, MH-9, MoHawk, Hellcat, and Blackfoot? Then offer a complete package.

Does it have to be a mod or can you make it a script to add to a dedicated server?

Thanks

2 hours ago, pyroflash said:

How would you like to see me expand this?

config for all heli in arma3

5 hours ago, mihal190 said:

fix RHS and CUP AFM!!!!!! thats all we need mate, and this mod is Great

MAKE ARMA GREAT AGAIN WITH AFM!

Certain things are easy here, and certain things are hard. Any original aero work though, requires me to CFD some parts. If you have sim quality rotor models that would help. For the most part, I think a simple model is enough to get a good estimation on the fuselage values via CFD. Regardless, it takes time. I have a gaming computer and openFOAM, so yeah :).

That being said, the superior work done by BIS for ToH made modeling certain helicopters relatively easy. Really an outstanding effort put into that game. I don't think BI gets enough credit for it really. I would love the chance to get these into something like CUP and RHS, but I am reluctant because with such high-profile mods, I really want to put my best foot forward in order to ensure that any work I do is of high quality and thoroughly tested.

4 hours ago, Jnr4817 said:

Could you expand this to the Huron, AH-9, MH-9, MoHawk, Hellcat, and Blackfoot? Then offer a complete package.

Does it have to be a mod or can you make it a script to add to a dedicated server?

Thanks

Sorry, but due to the nature of how the AFM works in ArmA 3 (as an API), it must be installed in a mod on each client's computer.

What about the other helicopters in Vanilla ArmA 3 do you think is lacking? I modified the vanilla Ghosthawk because of some issues that popped out at me, but looking through the other helicopters, most of them, except the Blackfoot are based off of real life models and I am assuming are modeled correctly. I do not see any glaring mistakes. If you can provide concrete examples on what you think is wrong, that would help. Documentation to back it up is of paramount importance as well.

4 hours ago, sammael said:

config for all heli in arma3

See above comment :)

• Like 2

Excellent,

Thank you for the response.

From personal experience(observation close range), the Little Bird(AH-9, MH-9) is more agile with more power. The FM could be tweaked, I'll see if I can get some actual numbers for you.

Reed

On 3/3/2017 at 5:15 PM, Jnr4817 said:

Excellent,

Thank you for the response.

From personal experience(observation close range), the Little Bird(AH-9, MH-9) is more agile with more power. The FM could be tweaked, I'll see if I can get some actual numbers for you.

Reed

I've taken a look at the engine and transmission in order to refine it a little with known values from the aircraft manual (MD 530F). This means less available shaft horsepower, but at the same time, nominal RPM has gone up a bit. This should equate to more lift at lower mach numbers, but the lower engine power means that the aircraft is now susceptible to loss of control from RPM fluctuations if handled incorrectly.

The biggest things that would help me with understanding maneuverability are:

1. Detailed weight and balance specifications for the MD530F or MH-6M/X. (Mx/mfgr.)
2. Rotor balance. (Mx/mfgr.)

3. Any test reports of the MD-530F or MH-6M/X that describe control response and stability (dynamic and static) in detail. (NASA/mfgr./Military Test Program)

Also, if you know anyone with a copy of an engineering manual for any of the Rolls M250-C30 series engines, RR has them behind a registration wall so I can't just poke at them. I would love to talk to someone with access to any of them.

Thanks, and I am looking forward to your input.

Good work Pyroflash.

But in response to the wishes of some repliers:

Be aware that using the AFM is really just asif you are flying on 'Backup controls' for those advanced helicopters? Like the Blackfoot. (I compare that to the now-days  apache)

Except for the stress effects, rolling takeoff/landings etc, the handling may be simulated somewhat realistic looking a physics. But those helo's have flight control systems that kinda make it fly like the 'Standard flight model'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crielaard said:

Good work Pyroflash.

But in response to the wishes of some repliers:

Be aware that using the AFM is really just asif you are flying on 'Backup controls' for those advanced helicopters? Like the Blackfoot. (I compare that to the now-days  apache)

Except for the stress effects, rolling takeoff/landings etc, the handling may be simulated somewhat realistic looking a physics. But those helo's have flight control systems that kinda make it fly like the 'Standard flight model'.

That's another thing that kind of frustrates me too, because there is no support for the programming of additional flight control systems as part of a single package.

There is support for a single controls "set" with two three channel AP's. I can pretty much do anything mathematically that I want to these sets. I can simulate stick control curves, ranges, incorporate rate based autopilots, proportional controls, whatever. But, I can only do one per helicopter because there has to be an in-game button for switching, and the buttons right now to my knowledge are hard coded into the game. I can't add, for example, buttons to turn autopilot channels off that would exist IRL, which means that I either have to code the controls as if there is a damper on no matter what, or code them as if the damper is off all of the time. The exception to this is the rate based auto trim, which works similar to trim compensators in real life. That works as a function, but it is kind of clumsy because it's a setting in the menu. Or I could turn auto-hover into something else, but the downside there is that there would be no auto hover then for that aircraft.

But just to be clear, if I wanted to, there is definitely nothing stopping me from making a mathematically unstable helicopter fly like a dream with the AFM on.

Also, I could, if I wanted to, completely re-define what exactly auto-hover and auto-trim do in the helicopters under AFM. Auto trim could for example, be made into an attitude or altitude hold autopilot mode.

Thanks for your response.

Interesting!

As far as my knowledge goes. there is no such thing as auto hover. Not in the Helos I have been in anyway. Only position hold stuff. Which aint really an autohover. So, maybe that mindset helps.

Can I add you on steam?

14 hours ago, Crielaard said:

Interesting!

As far as my knowledge goes. there is no such thing as auto hover. Not in the Helos I have been in anyway. Only position hold stuff. Which aint really an autohover. So, maybe that mindset helps.

Can I add you on steam?

Sure, check your PM's