clawhammer

We need AMD Ryzen Benchmarks! Share your toughts!

i for one am really happy that AMD released such a CPU. I am putting money on the side to get myself a 1800x workstation for 1/3 of the price i would need for a similar 8c/16t intel CPU.

If you want a really good gaming CPU, get a i5.

• Like 3

i really think the AMD needs active profile system (OS based) to control SMT on / off per application (aka easy software switch)

• Like 1

900x900px-LL-d264c365_aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLm

that L1 bandwidth seems quite low compared to Intel ...

also L1 instruction cache on Ryzen is only 4-way while Core has 8-way (yes i know it's double-size on the Ryzen tho)

may explain some of the SMT issues

Ryzen 7 1700X

PRIME X370-PRO

4x16GB DDR4-2133mhz 15-15-15-36-51-2T (frequency is limited due to using 4 dual rank modules)

R9 Fury

YAAB with it's standard settings at 1440p yielded 30fps average. Similar settings on my previous FX-8350 gave around 24fps but I'm not 100% certain the settings and game version is the same so that's not an apples to apples comparison.

I find that YAAB seems to run like crap, but subjectively I have gotten a huge boost during normal gameplay. I ran the auto detect settings and the game set itself to about double the view distances I used to run previously, and it still runs much smoother on the Ryzen than the FX.

I know some games have run better with SMT off so I was interested in testing that, but I actually couldn't find an option for turning SMT off in my UEFI :/

Also read about some issues where Windows parks cores when it shouldn't, and having HPET active has negative performance impact. I didn't bother working around any of these as I hope they will be fixed by software updates. I know proffesional reviewers worked around these issues by disabling HPET and setting Windows power management to high performance.

Edit: Tried to tick "Enable Hyper-Threading" in the launcher. Lost 8% in YAAB, but not sure if it's due to the setting or simply due to the random nature of YAAB.

can you check "Windows Power profile @ Perfomance mode"?

7 minutes ago, abudabi said:

can you check "Windows Power profile @ Perfomance mode"?

Doesn't seem to have done anything. Still averaging around 30fps.

Haven't tried unparking them yet, but I did check in task manager while running YAAB and there are always three or four cores parked, so it's effectively running as a quadcore :)

Utilization is also low on those cores which are actually active. The most saturated thread is doing about 60%.

This is with YAAB running. Cores marked with red are always parked. The one in orange goes on and off.

PTyWkyK.png

Tried the tool @dwarden linked. Disabled core parking and frequency scaling. Didn't do anything for performance. YAAB is still really choppy and averages around 30fps.

DDS1G5m.png

hmm, well you need to figure how enable/disable the SMT in the BIOS/UEFI or via some AMD/mainboard/oveclocking tool ...

also there was mentioned that AMD (Ryzen) benefits from disabled of HPET (timer) in BIOS/UEFI too ...

(i find that strange as OSes are supposed to use different timers completely already for years since Vista and HPET is just 'fall back' hardware timer)

btw. try run Arma 3 with -exThreads=7

+

-cpuCount=8 vs -cpuCount=12 vs -cpuCount=16 maybe even -cpuCount=20

compare it vs only

-exThreads=7 -enableHT

(note there will be no major gain but you may see some tiny benefit from added threads)

It would be intresting to disable the power saving features in the bios too (Is AMD still using cool and quiet?). So that all cores run with 100% clock speed all the time. Not good for general use, but it would be intresting what happens if the cpu dont get clocked down by the system.

Don't have options for HPET or SMT in my UEFI. Asus have hidden these settings on this mobo for some reason :S

Tried disabling HPET in Windows though. It's actually disabled by default in Win 10, but I had enabled mine at some point because I needed it for a specific thing I was doing. After that I just left it enabled. I disabled it again with the command "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock " but I saw no difference in performance while running YAAB. Nothing significant anyway. I was like a percent above previous bench but that might have just been random.

I might try some more of dwardens suggestions later when I have time.

time to complain to ASUS where're those options ;)

On 3/3/2017 at 4:27 AM, Tankbuster said:

For the last 10 years, when Intel took the lead in the value stakes, AMD have hyped and excited the market with promises of Intel busting performance and raised our hopes of a price war, and every time, we've been disappointed. It seems this is no different. Their brand new £500 CPU is comfortably outperformed by the 4790K, a 3-year-old, £300 chip that's on a superseded architecture.

I blame high expectations and ignorance. Ryzen should not have been a surprise. AMD used high resolution benchmarks for a reason, even the fx 8350 doesn't too bad in similar conditions. Although it's a massive improvement over the FX line and a plausible choice if you're building a dev machine or workstation compared to LGA 2011. Building a Ryzen rig exclusively for gaming isn't the best idea. Otherwise, theoretically at least, it's better to go with a high frequency Intel processor and spend the rest of your budget toward a stronger graphics card.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmcook said:

I blame high expectations and ignorance. Ryzen should not have been a surprise. AMD used high resolution benchmarks for a reason, even the fx 8350 doesn't too bad in similar conditions. Although it's a massive improvement over the FX line and a plausible choice if you're building a dev machine or workstation compared to LGA 2011. Building a Ryzen rig exclusively for gaming isn't the best idea. Otherwise, theoretically at least, it's better to go with a high frequency Intel processor and spend the rest of your budget toward a stronger graphics card.

hmm I do work "hobby" using programs like Blender, Freecad, gimp, librecad ect. I have a 4670k at 4.2 ghz however I still cant see the reason for me building a AMD build over my 4670 just for better multi core performance which means like 1 to 5 min knocked off from a blender rendering not a huge time saver as it takes hours just to make a perfect mesh in the first place. however I would get a ryzen cpu if i had a 2nd gen Intel. but I think i will keep my 4670 until Arma 4 comes out or my motherboard/cpu commits Sudoku. however ryzen has the same exact single core performance as 4670k and its pretty cheap too not bad for someone looking to save a little money on a very decent computer and its helping the consumer by strengthening AMD. 

@Brisse pls run a YAAB with Ultra preset 1080p(1920-1080) no mods

I've got a 37.4 fps(i5 6400@4500, 8gb DDR3-2200, GTX 970@core 1444, mem 8000)

Spoiler

BiOGxPlXc3M.jpg

Widescreen tho

ps @Dwarden any info about PiP some re-implementation? 0.5x fps drop while using it(while driving a car)

Also 

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/page-8#post-38775732

In 3D testing I did recently on Windows 10, the title which illustrated the biggest SMT regression was Total War: Warhammer.

All of these were recorded at 3.5GHz, 2133MHz MEMCLK with R9 Nano:

Windows 10 - 1080 Ultra DX11:

8C/16T - 49.39fps (Min), 72.36fps (Avg)
8C/8T - 57.16fps (Min), 72.46fps (Avg)

Windows 7 - 1080 Ultra DX11:

8C/16T - 62.33fps (Min), 78.18fps (Avg)
8C/8T - 62.00fps (Min), 73.22fps (Avg)

@dwarden

-exthreads 7 +

-corecount 8: 29.9fps

-corecount 12: 30.2fps

-corecount 16: 28.9fps