clawhammer

We need AMD Ryzen Benchmarks! Share your toughts!

I have Ryzen 1700X overclocked to 4,0GHz + 16Gb DDR4 memory on 3000 Mhz C15 and you know what? I still have FPS drops to 30, sometimes I think FPS is even lower on king of the hill, CPU perfomance is somewhere near my old OC'd Phenom 2 1090T.

Thats because of shitty game engine back from 90's. I wonder how people were playing Arma 3 on release, because the game was released almost 4 years ago and new AMD is definetly faster per core than 4 years old intel CPU's

On 7/15/2017 at 11:56 AM, Horus said:

Memory OC Showdown: Frequency vs. Memory Timings  after latest AGESA (BIOS Firmware) 1006 https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/07/14/memory-oc-showdown-frequency-vs-memory-timings

Many Thanks Horus! That was a very interesting read!

Based on this, I played around with the timings of my RAM and improved the YAAB Framerate by another 9% without touching RAM clock or CPU clock. Please note, 9% starting from the already good XMP settings. Its obvious that ArmA3 loves low RAM latencies.

Here are the settings I am using now (still improving):

3a0BzDm4XcaY.png 

EDIT: Further improved timings (will give you even more FPS than the above):

3a72eZKmX6eM.png

This is YAAB under Standard Preset +Standard Settings and below the values for "Low Preset" --:54.5 FPS

3aHrzbavV2pi.jpg

3aKXsgyjvW7D

• Like 1

In case one of you is still reading this thread:

I think I finally found very good RAM timing settings. ArmA3 now absolutely flys on my Ryzen even at only 3.8GHz CPU clock.

3eEszP3EPCdZ.jpg

3eEyULSgRz3B.png

On 10/18/2017 at 9:13 PM, Mahatma Gandhi said:

In case one of you is still reading this thread:

I think I finally found very good RAM timing settings. ArmA3 now absolutely flys on my Ryzen even at only 3.8GHz CPU clock.

3eEszP3EPCdZ.jpg

3eEyULSgRz3B.png

Nice results! What GPU + Arma settings are you using?

On 10/26/2017 at 4:01 PM, bingo_fuel said:

Nice results! What GPU + Arma settings are you using?

This is on a Radeon RX470. 

Here are the results for Low and Standard Preset 1920x1080 at different RAM Settings... Its very RAM sensitive.

3eT44N2Bj564.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This video is quite old. however it does show, a somewhat distribution of the load on the threads for the intel cpus while it fails to do that on the Ryzen. Would be interesting to see if the autodetect works in the newest version of the game and/or if overriding the cpu settings (ht, exthreads, cpucount, etc.) changes this behaviour. Maybe one of you ryzen owners could try that.

also:

• Like 1

So in summary, 9 months down the line, lots of enthusiast level tweaking and fiddling with overclock, with a part that is still quite expensive, will yeild performance that is rather better than it was back in March.

Or you could buy a cheaper Intel part that will outperform it, out of the box, for less money.

From that video I only see that Arma needs better memory allocator for AMD CPU. Look how on Intel system Arma use/have bigger RAM usage.

@Dwarden

2 hours ago, Horus said:

From that video I only see that Arma needs better memory allocator for AMD CPU. Look how on Intel system Arma use/have bigger RAM usage.

@Dwarden

memory allocation has nothing to do with intel / amd cpu architecture

(only effect can be size-speed of caches for memory tables which is one of reason we added -hugePages too)

also only Windows 10 (not even Windows 8.1 unless MS added it silently later) has kernel updates to support Ryzen/Threadripper/EPYC architecture

so any tests/videos from before that update are gunna to look same (simplified, it's similar to NUMA just adjusted for AMD thread load and core placements)

also the test is w/o shared config and command-lines so hard to tell why there is slight memory difference on the AMD ...

plus it was done at obsolete build so less relevant vs today state of game

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2017 at 5:10 AM, verstand3n said:

This video is quite old. however it does show, a somewhat distribution of the load on the threads for the intel cpus while it fails to do that on the Ryzen.

@verstand3nThis video most and undeniably shows how bad of an indicator average Framerate is over Frametimes. While we do not know anything about the components used to make that video but the used CPU, we can see, without any room for interpretation, how horribly stuttering it runs on the 3570 on the left over the 1700 Ryzen despite having a higher framerate. Just check the szene flying from the water over the island @ 3:27 following a minute. Its simply unplayable on the 3570 but perfectly smooth on the 1700. Its remarkble!

10 minutes ago, Mahatma Gandhi said:

@verstand3nThis video most and undeniably shows how bad of an indicator average Framerate is over Frametimes. While we do not know anything about the components used to make that video but the used CPU, we can see, without any room for interpretation, how horribly stuttering it runs on the 3570 on the left over the 1700 Ryzen despite having a higher framerate. Just check the szene flying from the water over the island @ 3:27 following a minute. Its simply unplayable on the 3570 but perfectly smooth on the 1700. Its remarkble!

That's why most websites now record not only the Average Framerates but also the 1% lows.

2 minutes ago, domokun said:

That's why most websites now record not only the Average Framerates but also the 1% lows.

For very good reasons!

I have to say, I am more than happy with what my 1700 Ryzen build in a Node 304  ITX Box comes up with in ArmA3. At least, I cannot blame it on the low FPS anymore that I remain the bullet magnet. It seems more of an age problem meanwhile.

3eT44N2Bj564.png

On 22.12.2017 at 8:32 PM, verstand3n said:

so, how's the load distribution on your ryzen cpu then?

Untitled_1.png

Noteably, that was with the following startup parameters: 

Untitled_2.png

P.S.: This is main branch (not dev branch). I really do not feel any need for performance improvements with this rig. Its perfectly smooth and fast with long view distances and Ultra Details.

• Thanks 1

Here is a neat comparison of a 8600k @5.2GHz vs a 2700x @4.3GHz where you can see the often mentioned smooth framerate you get from those Ryzen boxes in ArmA3.

Almost no stuttering at all.

This has been reported several times, but I haven't seen a video documenting it so far. Also shows how pointless average framerates are as an indicator of how smooth the game runs.

Even if it did happen, you'd still have to be a dribbling lunatic to choose the AMD part. The price difference alone tells the story even before you consider the amount of tweaking and fiddling that went into that.

• Confused 1

I think some posters dont have a RYZEN and only post in this tread to raging or trolling but...

My own RYZEN 1700 with 3200 mhz ram ddr4 with a 3500 mhz stable bios oc:

Without OC

I leave here my personal thoughts about my new RYZEN:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, djotacon said:

I leave here my personal thoughts about my new RYZEN:

I fully agree! Would buy that processor any time again. Manamana!

• Like 1

I post here my videos based in OC/no OC configuration:

ArmA 3 RYZEN 1700 STOCK + 1050 TI (KOTH ) 75+ players

A new test with the new CPU RYZEN 2700x and a 1060 3G NVIDIA GPU with the previous RAM gskill 3200 MHZ CL14, but with the awesome temp of 35º in my city.

Stock CPU SPEED no OC, Arma 3 VERY HIGH settings and DISTANCE VIEW 1500.

• Like 1