clawhammer

We need AMD Ryzen Benchmarks! Share your toughts!

1 hour ago, Fiddich said:

I'm running a Ryzen 1500X on a GB 370X mobo with 16gb of 2100 DDR4 ram and a 290x vid card.

I see anywhere from 30 to 40 fps on thw Arma3 Exile MP server I play on.  much better than the 10 to 15 I got with my 8150 cpu.

As you can read in this thread... your RAM is the most serious bottleneck .... Arma3 runs very well on Ryzen...

The guys at the shop didn't recommend the 3200 ram but I can swap it if it's going to be the issue, or is it more?

1 hour ago, Fiddich said:

The guys at the shop didn't recommend the 3200 ram but I can swap it if it's going to be the issue, or is it more?

It makes a huge difference for ArmA3 performance but it has its pricetag, as you can't use any 3200MHz today but will need modules with Samsung B ICs. Those are the only ones that run 3200MHz on Ryzen systems to date without any problems. One example is the Trident Z 3200MHz CL15 modules. (CL16 Modules don't work as those are Hynx IC based)

If you're really into ArmA3, I would recommend the investment. For rendering or encoding, it doesn't really matter.

worthwhile to watch explanation what/why/how overclock with Ryzen 

• Like 1

I literally just purchased an 7700k+mobo, and the main deciding factor (not the only one) was Arma 3, should I try to switch it for a Ryzen 7 1700+mobo? the store should not ship it until tomorrow (thursday) so it should be possible.

I already have RAM and it's slow (2 Kingston ValueRAM ECC DDR4 2*8GB 2Rx8 2133Mhz CL15 kits -32GB total- from an Amazon price error a few months back). With Ryzen and the right motherboard I could take advantage of ECC, but slow memory + Ryzen isn't a bad combination?

My head is gonna explode, I literally was obsessed for many hours checking my options before making a decision, and now here it seems my main point might have been wrong...

PS: I have a GTX1070.

On 5/2/2017 at 11:46 PM, benitoll said:

I literally just purchased an 7700k+mobo, and the main deciding factor (not the only one) was Arma 3, should I try to switch it for a Ryzen 7 1700+mobo? the store should not ship it until tomorrow (thursday) so it should be possible.

I already have RAM and it's slow (2 Kingston ValueRAM ECC DDR4 2*8GB 2Rx8 2133Mhz CL15 kits -32GB total- from an Amazon price error a few months back). With Ryzen and the right motherboard I could take advantage of ECC, but slow memory + Ryzen isn't a bad combination?

My head is gonna explode, I literally was obsessed for many hours checking my options before making a decision, and now here it seems my main point might have been wrong...

If Arma 3 performance was a major reason for choosing your parts then switching to ryzen would not benefit you. Faster ram will benefit you more with intel as well, but an overclocked i7 7700k with fast ram is probably the best cpu for arma 3 right now. 

3 hours ago, benitoll said:

a RYZEN 1600X - by example - is unbeatable in performance/prize and with proper RAM speed and you have a processors for the next 5 years, but the NVIDIA PHYSX are PRO-INTEL only sadly you dont have a stable fps because the NVIDIA PHYSX literally destroy the fps using AMD.

If you are building your pc setup only for playing Arma 3 the 7700k is the right choice cause PHYSX, you dont have any severe fps drop down cause that using INTEL.

21 minutes ago, djotacon said:

a RYZEN 1600X - by example - is unbeatable in performance/prize and with proper RAM speed and you have a processors for the next 5 years, but the NVIDIA PHYSX are PRO-INTEL only sadly you dont have a stable fps because the NVIDIA PHYSX literally destroy the fps using AMD.

If you are building your pc setup only for playing Arma 3 the 7700k is the right choice cause PHYSX, you dont have any severe fps drop down cause that using INTEL.

Even if you think nvidia is deliberately crippling performance on AMD CPUs, 7700k is clearly better for Arma because of the better single threaded performance - which you can see in benchmarks which don't use physx http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2874&cmp[]=3000

And isn't physx open source, by the way? Couldn't someone check if there's something that intentionally break AMDs? Probably wouldn't matter though, since the physx is so tiny part of the per frame calculations on the engine.

Anyway, yeah, 7700k is a much better choice of the two.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Greenfist said:

the better single threaded performance - which you can see in benchmarks which don't use physx http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2874&cmp[]=3000

And isn't physx open source, by the way? Couldn't someone check if there's something that intentionally break AMDs? Probably wouldn't matter though, since the physx is so tiny part of the per frame calculations on the engine.

Sadly Arma 3 isnt a mono-thread application and dont use a mono-core approach to run and because of that the single thread performance means nothing to the Arma 3 engine fps performance, and PHYSX isn't a "tiny" part of the Arma 3... is  main core feature that is using in every part of the game ( smoke, explosions, vehicles, etc, etc).

And yes if you dont make streams, rendering, or another thing like playing Arma 3 the 7700k is the best option right now, but is an old cpu too expensive compared than a 1600X and right now for the same prize with a RYZEN you have much more compute power, probably when in the near future BIS buy some RYZEN cpus ( reading the Dwarden comments I think BIS dont have any of this CPUs) we see some improvents.

6 hours ago, djotacon said:

single thread performance means nothing to the Arma 3 engine fps performance

This doesn't seem accurate at all.

3 hours ago, Shaky-AK said:

This doesn't seem accurate at all.

Please post the entire sentence:

Arma 3 isnt a mono-thread application and dont use a mono-core approach to run and because of that the single thread performance means nothing to the Arma 3 engine

And now this is completely accurate.

9 minutes ago, djotacon said:

Please post the entire sentence:

Here's the quote.

Sadly Arma 3 isnt a mono-thread application and dont use a mono-core approach to run and because of that the single thread performance means nothing to the Arma 3 engine fps performance, and PHYSX isn't a "tiny" part of the Arma 3... is  main core feature that is using in every part of the game ( smoke, explosions, vehicles, etc, etc).

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you are trying to say, but it seems like you are suggesting that single thread performance does not matter. 

I have built a Ryzen computer, however it isn't finished, and who knows what the temps are. A bit confusing. Anyway I did a little bit of testing.

At the moment, the "Ryzen" ram is just running at defautl 2400MHz and with CL15.

2560 x 1440
i7 2700k @ 4.6 GHz
Win 7
Sapphire 290x
SATA SSD
= 37.2 fps (standard)
= 34.1 (very high)
= 32.1 (ultra)

---------------------------

2560 x 1440
Ryzen 1800x @ 3.6 GHz
Win 10
Asus Rog Rx480 Strix 8GB oc
M.2 SSD
2x8 GB G.skill Flare X 3200Mhz, CL14 (running at 2400MHz and CL15)
= 38 fps (standard)
= 32,5 (very high)
= 29,5 (ultra)

1 hour ago, Housesparrow said:

At the moment, the "Ryzen" ram is just running at defautl 2400MHz and with CL15.

What speed your Sandy Bridge RAM runs?

You need to get that Ryzen up to 4.0GHz :f: Interesting how closely Sandy and Ryzen performs in Arma 3. This is second time seeing that kind of results.

41 minutes ago, St. Jimmy said:

You need to get that Ryzen up to 4.0GHz :f: 

Most importantly, you need to set the XMP Profile for those FlareX RAMs and run them at 3200MHz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mahatma Gandhi said:

Most importantly, you need to set the XMP Profile for those FlareX RAMs and run them at 3200MHz

I for some reason didn't first even notice he had Flare X sticks.

Hopefully he has checked the QVL list first for the kit http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gfx

Those Flare X have a chance that they don't run at the rated speed on other boards that aren't in the QVL list. Could need to loosen timings or something.

I accidentally found that he has Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO, so 3200MHz should be one click thingy.

17 minutes ago, St. Jimmy said:

Those Flare X have a chance that they don't run at the rated speed on other boards that aren't in the QVL list. Could need to loosen timings or something.

Any reference for that? I've got the same and they just work out of the box. They have the Samsung-B ICs which seem to always work fine.

Worth reading here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on

17 minutes ago, Mahatma Gandhi said:

Any reference for that? I've got the same and they just work out of the box. They have the Samsung-B ICs which seem to always work fine.

Just that if motherboard isn't on the QVL list of the RAM, there's a chance it won't be 100% compatible (might not get to the rated speed). But I just noticed from few pages back that it seems like he has motherboard that's in the list so he should be good to go.

Not sure if it's some marketing thing. Would be pretty stupid for memory maker leaving out some motherboards that are compatible unless the motherboard has come later in the market.

On 4/5/2017 at 2:06 AM, Shaky-AK said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you are trying to say, but it seems like you are suggesting that single thread performance does not matter.

This is the second time that I say this: "this tread is related to AMD RYZEN and share opinions only", if you are interested in other topics create a new thread and post there your opinions.

1 hour ago, djotacon said:

This is the second time that I say this: "this tread is related to AMD RYZEN and share opinions only", if you are interested in other topics create a new thread and post there your opinions.

In other words you were implying that single thread performance does not matter in regards to arma 3 performance. You are being ignored now for spreading fud.

@St. Jimmy

I had some crazy (and apparently somewhat unstable I found out the other day) ram overclock on my old "intel" computer (2000+MHz), and when I lowered it and retested it the other day, I had my four DDR3 ram sticks at 1600MHz, CL10 (iirc) (stock ram speed). There wasn't much of a change when testing YAAB between the two. I don't remember anymore which ram speed had the best fps, though I never tested YAAB much, so the fps might be a little random given how few times I tested it.

Btw, lowering MSAA down to x2 really helps on the fps when playing Wasteland. I have a 290x on an intel machine, with 2560x1440 screen. I had to RMA my Ryzen computer's PSU, so that computer won't be running any time soon.

15 hours ago, Shaky-AK said:

In other words you were implying that single thread performance does not matter in regards to arma 3 performance. You are being ignored now for spreading fud.

No I'm saying that open a new thread to avoid this debate here, and I make a report by send me threats using pm now you are blocked too poor troll.

Running my 2x8GB Flare X ram sticks at 3200MHz and 14-14-14-34 (previoulsy 2400MHz and 15-15-15-38 or so), my fps dropped from 38 to 37 with a couple of runs of YAAB with Arma 3 video settings set to "standard". :|

Playing Sa-Matra's Wasteland, I seem to get decent fps, though I wouldn't know if it is an improvement with 3200MHz memory speed, over the old 2400MHz setting, and related latency settings.