clawhammer

We need AMD Ryzen Benchmarks! Share your toughts!

22 hours ago, aussiebobby said:

If you skip to 3:20(flying),you can see how bad the i5 is shuttering.

Yeah the i5 seems to stutter a lot compared to the other two CPUs. It would have been interesting to see the 1% low fps and not just the average fps in the comparison.

The Arma 3 Apex benchmark has a weaker GPU and getting more fps ,but the ram difference is 2x more than in comparison video
Weaker GPU is also at or near 100% in the Apex benchmark while the comparison video isn't
In the comparison video Ryzen is using the lest amount of ram of the three
32bit and 64bit benchmarks?

Edited by aussiebobby
Because I dont proofread

I suggest to wait for 1.68 main branch stable binary release and then benchmark

or even better for new profiling branch performance binary at the 1.68 base

In all these Benches its also important to have a closer look at how Windows was configured.

There are huge discrepancies in some games having HPET on/off and Windows set to High Performance instead of balanced: (From German Page (Höchstleistung = High Performance; aus = off; High Performance was done under Win10). The problem is apparently coming from CoreParking that is yet not done correctly under Win 10.

3FYWrhrwWMVV.png

• Like 1

Here is a german test about the scheduling, smt, windows 7 vs windows 10, HPET and core parking.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-03/ryzen-windows-7-benchmark-core-parking/

It seems there is no windows 10 schedule bug (which has been also denied by an amd blog post) but there are other issues.

EDIT: Oh ok nedflanders was faster :D

1 minute ago, clawhammer said:

EDIT: Oh ok nedflanders was faster :D

By about 5 seconds ;-)

1 minute ago, nedflanders said:

By about 5 seconds ;-)

It seems like ur schedule works a tiny bit faster :D

Didn't plan to run my 1700X overclocked, but you know how it is, I just had to try anyway.

This overclock made YAAB to go from around 30fps before overclock to 32.6fps after overclock.

56 minutes ago, Brisse said:

Didn't plan to run my 1700X overclocked, but you know how it is, I just had to try anyway.

This overclock made YAAB to go from around 30fps before overclock to 32.6fps after overclock.

Did you play with HPET and Energy Profile yet?

28 minutes ago, nedflanders said:

Did you play with HPET and Energy Profile yet?

I did, but I saw no significant difference in Arma 3.

It's interesting to see what happens when you switch between balanced and performance profiles though.

In balanced, it seems to stack as many threads as possible on as few physical cores as possible, while using logical cores before physical cores so that it can park as many cores as possible. I bet this is great for energy efficiency while not giving up too much performance.

In performance, there's no core parking and no downclocking. Threads are first and foremost put on it's own physical core before putting them into the extra logical cores only if the physical ones are already saturated. Probably less energy efficient, but faster.

This maybe of some interest

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/14/tips-for-building-a-better-amd-ryzen-system

Throughout this process we also discovered that F1™ 2016 generates a CPU topology map (hardware_settings_config.xml) when the game is installed. This file tells the game how many cores and threads the system’s processor supports. This settings file is stored in the Steam™ Cloud and appears to get resynced on any PC that installs F1™ 2016 from the same Steam account. Therefore: if a user had a 4-core processor without SMT, then reused that same game install on a new AMD Ryzen™ PC, the game would re-sync with the cloud and believe the new system is also the same old quad core CPU.

I've been in contact with Asus regarding some BIOS feedback, and they sent me a beta version to try out. Not only does it contain some really useful fixes and enhances, but it also lets me run my memory at full XMP speed, which was a bit of a surprise considering I run four 16GB dual rank modules for a total of 64GB which is worst case scenario if you want high memory speed. Official support is only 1866mt with such a configuration, but I could previously run them at 2133mt with the latest public bios version 0504. Now, with the beta (0507), I can run them at their full speed of 2400mt.

YAAB gains with new bios and full memory speed: 9% better average frame-rate.

• Like 1

@Brisse got new CPU-Z , Aida64 benchmarks on that new beta bios , memory at 2400MHz and combined with your Overlock attempts ?

would be quite interested to see them

@dwarden

For CPU-Z benchmark I can answer right away, but only for stock CPU clock speeds.

BIOS 0504 (2133mt 14-14-14-35-50-2)

ST: 2010

MT: 18067

BIOS 0507 (BETA) (2400mt 14-14-14-35-56-2)

ST: 2010

MT: 17938

Multithreaded CPU-Z bench is down very slightly, but game performance seem noticeably better across the board. Sorry I don't have more benchmarks at this time. Should have done a few more for reference before updating the BIOS.

And yes, they did add an SMT switch in the new BIOS :)

@dwarden

you guys did an outstanding job on the 64-bit upate. I have an old Phenom II X4 @ 3.8GHz and the old lady runs a hell lot smoother even at low FPS and/or has very high gains in FPS at high view distances e.g. flying a plane. Combined with a RX470 I just had 100 FPS flying around in the helicopter @ 7000m view distance (built in single player mission). This is simply amazing!

Regarding the CPU-Z Bench on Ryzen, I would not expect gains from higher RAM frequencies in that particular Bench. It apparently fully fits into the cache. AMD announced further development for memory support and will roll out an AGESA update end of April early May which supports RAM speeds >3200MHz. Ryzen develops into a really nice plattform.

@Brisse Nice to see your 64gb running at 2400MHz with short timings now.

• Like 2

I just ordered a GA-AB350-Gaming 3 + G.Skill Flare-X 16GB kit, DDR4-3200, CL14-14-14-34

We'll know by the weekend how Ryzen performs with high end RAM in ArmA3. I'll keep you posted.

there is still hope for Ryzen, when RAM support improves and DDR4 clock speeds climb higher, see here:

Ryzen at 3.97GHz  could possibly match a 7700k at 5GHz with the help of high speed memory? PC enthusiasts rejoice! exciting times ahead for tweakers and overclockers. :drinking2:

Ok, the System is up and running:

Specs: Ryzen 1700 @ stock on GA-AB350 - Gaming3 with 2x8gb Flare X @3200MHz CL14-14-14-34 and an RX470 with 4gb VRAM

Very High Preset = 31.8 FPS in YAAB

7 hours ago, dethica said:

there is still hope for Ryzen, when RAM support improves and DDR4 clock speeds climb higher, see here:

Ryzen at 3.97GHz  could possibly match a 7700k at 5GHz with the help of high speed memory? PC enthusiasts rejoice! exciting times ahead for tweakers and overclockers. :drinking2:

In another of this reviewers videos he had admitted he delided the i7.

My reply

If the CPU was delided/modified,then the i7 7700k or any other cpu, the results should be rejected or be invalid.1)The results(5ghz) cannot be achieved out of the box without being delided/modified. 2)Failure to discloses this

Iv found three others who have also delided the i7 to get the 5gz+ to beat the Ryzen

well wait, so now sort of stock 4GHz ryzen beats~match 5GHz uber OC 7700k including single threading demanding titles?

i would say that's quite impressive considering all the other illnesses to cure 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, dwarden said:

What are you refering to?

11 hours ago, dwarden said:

well wait, so now sort of stock 4GHz ryzen beats~match 5GHz uber OC 7700k including single threading demanding titles?

Ryzen is an entire new platform with obviously some issues that now is an entire army of devs and engineers fixing all the issues.

Right now the memory issues are fixed with new bios, more and more updates are coming...

But if you want to play Arma 3 only you can buy an expensive processor only for that but... when you need make more things like rendering, streaming, video encoding RYZEN has no match in the cost/value segment.

And make a game test with 4c/8h vs a 8c/16h is a very bad idean unless you make a fair test with a cpu with the same configuration ( 8c/16h vs idem).

In near past we have a proper explanation about the low performance in the amd float point (over Arma games only in general) npu but right now with the RYZEN - a  much better processor - this issue doesnt exist anymore.

With the new jets DLC the players demand a huge distance vision to make good air/ground attacks and pinpoint the enemy and I would be very worried if my software was unable to give the proper distance vision with good quality processors.

14 hours ago, dwarden said:

It is mainly because of the high RAM speed, but the slight CPU frequency OC helps too.