clawhammer

We need AMD Ryzen Benchmarks! Share your toughts!

So the new ryzen cpus are out, and i think a lot of us want to know how these bad boys perform on arma 3 right?

So please, if you can find any benchmarks, post them here. If you made a benchmark by urself, please show it to us! :-)

My personal feeling about these cpus is, we will get the same problems with these cpu we got with the old amd fx cpus.

Lots of multicore performance which gets totally ignored by arma and low fps because of bad single core performance.

I really want to upgrade, but i really fear that my old i7 4790k will outperform the ryzen cpu. I hope iam wrong.

So please, if you guys find anything please post it here, iam reall intrested into this. And of course, what do you guys think? Share your toughts

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm currently building a Ryzen based Setup for my Wife... I'm running a 7th generation I7 so I can do some comparision after the Computer is finished.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Eagle1992 said:

I'm currently building a Ryzen based Setup for my Wife... I'm running a 7th generation I7 so I can do some comparision after the Computer is finished.

That would be awesome!

I searched for some ArmA 3 benchmark missions:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/142875-arma3mark-benchmark-your-arma-3/

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=375092418

Both are old, but should still work. If we match our graphic settings i could throw my benchmarks result into this too. So we have more data :-)

I would suggest a 720p run too with low graphic settings to make sure our gpu's dont interfere much.

A couple more here...

pclab.pl/art72996.html

nv_arma3.png

oc_nv_arma3.png

The results aren't surprising really.  :dozingoff:

Even an I5 2500k on stock frequencies is just a dozen frames below, a seven year old CPU...

• Like 3

I get with these settings in the first benchmark above 33.9 fps with my i7 4790k + GTX 980ti

Thanks for the benchmarks! The i7 4790k kills the ryzen :-(

best to wait for good results on 1.68 stable and also always mark if the benchmark is with or without SMT (as it can be tens of percent difference)

• Like 3

Yeah I read on PC Gamer that AMD have advised BIOS changes as Dwarden noted to improve performance. The guy at PC Gamer expects that firmware or driver updates might be needed to improve Ryzen performance. They also noted that the motherboard may effect results for gaming (Not yet tested). They don't check ARMA in the benchmark but it is an interesting read though I must admit I'm disappointed in what I've read so far, lets hope that the updates help. 

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-amd-ryzen-7-review/

4 hours ago, dwarden said:

best to wait for good results on 1.68 stable and also always mark if the benchmark is with or without SMT (as it can be tens of percent difference)

Is BIS contacted Amd to discuss perfomance issues?

Also what about RX 480 vs GTX 1060 in arma? AMD GPU's seems having a underperfomance here

In anything that isnt using all of its cores its weak. an i7700k would be a better option for arma 3

A3 is very reliant in the frequency of the cores, the kaby lake processors get 4.5-5.1 OCd so that gives then a huge advantage but if you look at the ryzen they barely get 4.0-4.3 OC so that s something to look ibto

2 hours ago, Zemesis said:

A3 is very reliant in the frequency of the cores, the kaby lake processors get 4.5-5.1 OC so that gives then a huge advantage but if you look at the ryzen they barely get 4.0-4.3 OC so that s something to look into

Edit: Performances will change when arma switches to 64-bit.

13 minutes ago, Zemesis said:

Edit: Performances will change when arma switches to 64-bit.

64bit didn't change all that much. Especially if you have SSD and a mission with reasonable amount active assets.

For the last 10 years, when Intel took the lead in the value stakes, AMD have hyped and excited the market with promises of Intel busting performance and raised our hopes of a price war, and every time, we've been disappointed. It seems this is no different. Their brand new £500 CPU is comfortably outperformed by the 4790K, a 3-year-old, £300 chip that's on a superseded architecture.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

For the last 10 years, when Intel took the lead in the value stakes, AMD have hyped and excited the market with promises of Intel busting performance and raised our hopes of a price war, and every time, we've been disappointed. It seems this is no different. Their brand new £500 CPU is comfortably outperformed by the 4790K, a 3-year-old, £300 chip that's on a superseded architecture.

Just in applications that only use not more then 4 cores.

I see it more as a software problem. If all games would use 8 cores we would have a different result.

Look at the crysis 3 benchmarks, here is the ryzen performance very good because the engine is well written for multicore cpu's

1 minute ago, clawhammer said:

Just in applications that only use not more then 4 cores.

So, great for Windows 10 and the few applications that use a lot of cores then? How useful for us Arma users? Not very, I suspect. And that's a shame because Intels dominance of this market is really unhealthy,

12 minutes ago, clawhammer said:

Look at the crysis 3 benchmarks, here is the ryzen performance very good because the engine is well written for multicore cpu's

Source or link?

I have read on several occasions that the Windows scheduler currently does not work very well with Ryzens CCX design if the software is not threaded well (like many games and in particular ARMA3).

It helps in these cases if SMT and HPET are disabled in the BIOS. AMD plans to release a driver that takes care of these issues in the near future and is in contact with Game studios regarding this.

So if one of you benches, it might be most interesting if you also test with disabled HT - 8 cores are by far enough for ARMA3 anyway. With fully threaded applications, HT performs exceptionally well in Ryzen (actually better than it does in current intel cpus)

3EHHlIEY0z8g.png

You can see that Crysis 3 (threaded) does very well with Ryzen and HT enabled while FarCry4 (not threaded) falls 20% short if HT is enabled. Similar things have been seen for HT in Intel CPUs.

33 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

So, great for Windows 10 and the few applications that use a lot of cores then? How useful for us Arma users? Not very, I suspect. And that's a shame because Intels dominance of this market is really unhealthy,

I've got news for you. Ryzen wasn't exclusively designed for Arma. It looks like it's going to be an awesome performer for those of us who actually use our PC's for more than just gaming, while still being perfectly viable for gaming, but of course it won't beat Kaby Lake in gaming.

I expect to build a Ryzen system next week. I might try some Arma benchmarks then, but I don't expect to see any different results from those already posted. The results posted above are perfectly in line with Ryzens single core performance, which is what matters in Arma 3.

4 hours ago, Zemesis said:

A3 is very reliant in the frequency of the cores, the kaby lake processors get 4.5-5.1 OCd so that gives then a huge advantage but if you look at the ryzen they barely get 4.0-4.3 OC so that s something to look ibto

Slight correction: A3 is reliant on IPC*frequency which is where Kaby Lake really shines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clawhammer said:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Ryzen-7-1800X-CPU-265804/Tests/Test-Review-1222033/

Here in crysis 3 the 1800X beat all the 4 core i5/i7 CPUs

That gives me some hopes for Star Citizen at least, which is based on the cryengine.

And in all the other games tested there, it gets caned by obsolete Intel parts. I'm sorry mate, and it pains me to say this, it really does, but Ryzen looks like a pup for A3.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this state of affairs is really unhealthy for us and the industry. I hate the way it is, but that does appear to be the way it is.

Given that you started this thread, asking for A3 benchmarks of this CPU, the news on THAT front appears to be pretty bad.

16 hours ago, dwarden said:

SMT = Hyperthreading?

18 minutes ago, domokun said:

SMT = Hyperthreading?

Yes, and according to some benchmarks AMD's SMT is actually having a negative impact on some games.

• Like 1