steved

Please help a noob reload

I am having trouble working out how to re-load. Yeah, I know..."Press 'r" dude!!!" What is happening is that on occasion I run out of ammo in the field, despite being careful to load a few extra mags at the base before setting out. I get myself in a situation where my current mag has only 3 or 4 rounds, and I need to re-load. "R" won't change my mag. I check in my backpack where the extra mags I carried are waiting, and they are there, but I can't seems to drag them across, or press "R". After I select my weapon of choice, I check the mag supplied with the weapon and ensure that I pick up extras of that magazine, matching calibre and size etc.

I've even tried dropping my mag onto the ground, and then trying to re-load, but that doesn't seem to work either. I drop my 3 round magazine on the ground, walk a few metres away to make sure I don't pick THAT one up, then drop one of my "full" mags and try to pick that up. but again, it doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Check Six

It can be difficult to find the right mags for your weapon.  (They may not be compatible even if the caliber is the same)

Arma remembers how many rounds are left in the current mag when you load a new one so if you get back to the used one then it will still have only a few rounds left.

- Check the reload key binding is correct...

- You can check what is compatible with a weapon by clicking on it in the inventory and anything that can be mounted on or ammo will show in grey.

There is a mod to 'repack' used mags into full ones I'm but not sure how compatible it is with the latest game build.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19692

• Like 1

Thanks Sgt Major. I know that my reload button is correctly mapped, as it DOES change mags for me. I also knew that Arma remembers the rounds remaining in the magazine (which is more realistic, but not what most gamers are familiar with). I do look at my inventory and observe the magazine that is on the right hand side (currently equipped) and choose EXACTLY that magazine, to every detail. Thanks for the tip about the equipment that CAN be mounted being grey, and also the repack mod (I won't use it....not yet anyway).

Any other ideas guys??

Check Six

Some mods add in ammo for a particular weapon that has the same icon and name in the inventory/arsenal so at a quick glance when gearing up you might throw what you think is the correct ammo for your weapon in, but it turns out that it just won`t work when you go to use it. Usually in that case if you hover over the mag in the inventory screen it will show the popup naming the actual weapons it was made for, and only then you see it is for a specific weapon type. Even saw dslyecxi getting caught out with that in one of the recent shacktac vids. He was running low on ammo with an M4, and grabbed a bunch of stanags from a dead teammate`s M4. Got into a firefight, went to reload and.....nothing. It was a slightly different M4 model so the new mags simply didn`t work.

That repack mod does still work fine btw. I use it all the time :)

• Like 1

Thanks EDCase and flyingpig. You've helped me to realise I should be more careful in selecting my ammunition. I still have trouble picking items up from deceased comrades and enemies and ammunition cases and then utilising them, but I'll keep working at it.

Fantastic community here.

Check Six

You're welcome.

We just want to share the fun.

(...and ARMA is quite quirky...)