Sign in to follow this  
Oddball-47 Ronin

Unsung Missions On Steam

Hi Gents,

First off, this is -not- a bashing of the "Unsung Vietnam" mod. Rather, it is a suggestion that

people do not get/subscribe to Unsung Vietnam missions posted on the Steam Workshop.

I've now downloaded about 8 or 10 of 'em and half of 'em are not compatible with
Unsung Vietnam 3.0 Delta.

As well, a good number of missions posted on Steam don't state up front any/all mod

requirements to be used with it/them.

And lastly, given that it's so easy to upload a mission to the Steam workshop there's

a lot of 'em that just plain aren't worth dinking with.

Lastly, from a server administrator aspect, just finding an Arma3 mission file one has

subscribed to in order to upload it to the server is an aggravating endeavor. Steam

"buries" 'em deep in a seemingly randomly generated folder name (and no, it's not

in the "mpmissions" folder). As well, there's a "Workshop!" folder generated which

may or may not be viewable by the user until/unless one has performed some voodoo

with it.

So, my suggestion/request is that all those wonderful folks who invest so much time and

effort into crafting their magic upload their masterpieces to the "Armaholic" website.

Rant over; flame away.

But I'll stick to my position that the Steam Workshop is a mess mission-wise.

Regards, Odd

On 3/1/2017 at 11:23 PM, Oddball-47 Ronin said:

Steam

"buries" 'em deep in a seemingly randomly generated folder name (and no, it's not

in the "mpmissions" folder). As well, there's a "Workshop!" folder generated which

may or may not be viewable by the user until/unless one has performed some voodoo

with it.

I've always been able to find Steam missions by simply running a search from your Windows Start mission.

That's what I do when I want to unPBO a mission for dissecting and studying for my mission-making-learning-curve.

1 hour ago, Mordacai said:

I've always been able to find Steam missions by simply running a search from your Windows Start mission.

That's what I do when I want to unPBO a mission for dissecting and studying for my mission-making-learning-curve.

Hi Mordecai,

Yeah, that does indeed work, but Steam's methodology just annoys me. 
The "Workshop!" folder which it defaults as "hidden" is another annoyance.  ;)

Regards, Odd

It isnt just Unsung Missions either...the problem is people upload things that are not theirs and dont include all of the information needed for the mission or the Mod..ive run into that numerous times with the workshop.

Diesel

STEAM is crap. Use Armaholic; Foxhound has been serving the ArmA community for many years before BIS decided to take the STEAMing pile of *** route.

On 03/03/2017 at 4:40 AM, Oddball-47 Ronin said:

The "Workshop!" folder which it defaults as "hidden" is another annoyance.  ;)

Anyone who does not immediately upon OS installation inactivate the "hide system folders" and "hide extensions for known file types", etc., in Windows imbecilic defaults is an idiot destined to become a node in a botnet/target for ransomware/target for ID theft; etc.

• Like 1