Sign in to follow this  
dlegion

armachinima: no real chances

hi all.
now that ARMACHINIMA has ended, i wish to point your attention on a very funny (or very sad) thing:

some videos  (like mine, to be clear) got 72 visualization (not votes, i mean ==>> visualization! ) while others in the magnitude of 7000 to 9000 and more.
considering i know that me and my friends visualized it for more or less 30 to 40 times, and excluding them, it means only 30 or less people loaded the video !!

now, lets say the cover picture was ugly, or the title was boring or god knows what else....but seems way too far from realistic numbers!
beware: i dont want absolutely contest the content of videos, surely the 10 finalist are better made than mine, for example, nothing to say about it.
the problem in my opinion is that people doesnt even know whats inside the most of the 128 videos of the contest!

despite putting a lot of efforts in the video, not even being considered at all.... is a bit sad,
hoped that people at least give it a look, consider it garbage and move on, thats fine for me.

anyway ...i wish to suggest another system for the future contests, because honestly i think everyone in this situation will simply stop to partecipate.

PS: can the number of votes be public now ?

• Like 1

Its funny you should say this, I rewatched the finalists last night and considering they are the finalists I expected more hits on the videos than I saw. They were a fraction of the views enjoyed by videos posted by gamers known for regularly uploading arma content.

Without naming names, I personally don't watch the videos released by many of the well-known names because of foul language in the video (my personal choice), silliness or,  to be quite frank, they're boring. To your point, they don't come any near the quality of much of the submissions for the contest.

This leads me to believe they do well on social media which gets them subscribers and so the circle of youtube life goes on. Weirdly enough, when I search youtube for Arma videos, the same names pop up.

I feel your pain, for five years I edited videos for two groups, spending hours to make them entertaining and interesting, but they rarely got anywhere near the number of hits of other Arma videos. The fact this was a contest, highlighted and with its own dedicated webpage, makes your concern even more glaring.

• Like 1

From what I saw, whole contest wasn't really publicized too much, at least via info channels, I use (comparing to MANW). Perhaps even not hard to overlook, which theoretically would give some advantage for creators with more youtube subscrbtions (probably, as usual, quality contest became partially creator's popularity contest - who has more friends/"followers" to mobilize). But who knows. 

Well, as for my impression, both presence and absence in the finale of the most entries seems deserved/justified and understandable. In both categories are exceptions - surprises though. Anyway, congrats to all the finalists and thanks to all the creators, especially those, I voted, for high quality work. 

PS: can the number of votes be public now ?

Somehow I have feeling, it will not happen and actual results will remain undisclosed. 

• Like 2

Making armachinima movies appealing is a lot like creating addons, they will appeal to some, and not to others, and the more well known authors are always going to get a cult following, don't be too disheartened, some of these you were up against were quality work, and a captivating story as well.

Anyone who has the balls to sit and make a movie, then upload it deserves some praise, as it's not easy to do.

I voted for Brass, East Wind and the French Op. one, as they had decent stories to them. I like to see good arma video's, and when I'm all out of movies to watch when overseas, I quite enjoy watching a 1.5 hour co-op mission, by the likes of Jest 814, and Leutin, and Disylexci, sometimes better than watching movies.

Again, well done to all those who participated, and well done to all those who went to the next stage.

Who picks the winner from the final selections by the way?

• Like 3

congratulations to the winners.

even it feels like being at a shooting competition where your paper target is not even watched by anyone and noone knows your score, ( mah!) i still wish to
congratulate with the winners, all video are well made, i personally found "the choice" way more intense, and "miller the killer" way more fun, anyway congrats to all !!

• Like 1

Yeah, congratulations to all that delivered a contribution to the contest.

That said, I agree with the OP. But I think that over 100 videos are way too many to watch. You watch 3, 4, maybe 10 but then it's ok.

The contest system was "guilty" of this, maybe there would have been another way to present the videos so that every single one would have been perceived and noticed.