Aphex26

[WIP] Al-Haddar Terrain

Introducing:

CtL7JqR.png

Description
Al-Haddar is a town in the Saudi Arabian desert. It has vast open terrain with tight knit dense building clusters. 
I am happy to finally start work on a proper middle eastern terrain. With the help of the RSO building pack it is now possible to attain a close to life depiction of just that.

There is not much vegetation except for near the dried up river bed and near the beet farms.

Google maps link

Satellite image of current terrain

Stats
Size: 8192M x 8192M
distance between terrain vetices: 2M
# of objects: WIP
# of surfaces: WIP

Roadmap

-Complete one portion to see how i would like the finished product to look (Complete)

-Concept the interesting portion. Buildings, walls, and light clutter (WIP)

-Release Alpha

-Complete all interesting portions

-Release Beta

-Complete all outlying deserts

-Create cliffs

-Final release

-Continuing updates

Requirements
RSO building modpack
Bushlurker monument
CUP terrains

Current Completion Chart

Here

• Like 9

This looks like a wonderfully authentic terrain. Definitely looking forward to seeing this completed!

Reminds me bf2, beautiful!!

Wow, looks awesome. I love the CQB environments, it looks like it would be a map in an FPS like insurgency or something. Should be really nice for PVP. This is exactly the type of desert terrain I've been hoping someone would make. Your use of the RSO buildings is also great, was hoping these would get some love from a terrain maker. Good luck.

46 minutes ago, Savage_Donkey said:

This map looks absolutely fantastic so far!  Hope you don't lose the inspiration to continue.

I've been working on it for a week now and have gotten quite far for such a short time. Moving this quickly and keeping a completion chart is keeping me motivated.

• Like 5

Roadmap

-Complete one portion to see how i would like the finished product to look (Complete)

-Concept the interesting portion. Buildings, walls, and light clutter (WIP)

-Release Alpha

-Complete all interesting portions

-Release Beta

-Complete all outlying deserts

-Create cliffs

-Final release

-Continuing updates

• Like 7

looking good there matey! 

I see the rso work has come of good use. Rest assured the buildings will be completed, the next update will have the fire through buildings fixed don't worry. Ai pathing and doors fixed might take a little longer due to some RL things going on in the team atm. But the project is still alive don't worry. Like I said in my pm, we both have maps that can't be completed without the buildings either. So don't worry. I will say though, regarding timescale, i neeeever give an answer 1. due to it being against the rules to ask for such a question and 2, it puts us under pressure to get things out and we don't want to disappoint if we don't get things out. 

we wanted to get an update out by the end of this month but some serious RL issues have occured for both of us. there will be an update coming though, so your map will be more functional in the near future.

cheers

Spook

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply spook. The buildings are working well enough to use in making the terrain. I am looking forward to what you guys put out in the future.

Week 2 completion update

Completion Chart

Album

Been slowing down the pace a bit to try a different method to concepting. I'll create 2-3 different style to each section and then decide which one i like the most. I can take my time and do it right as i have to wait for the RSO building pack to be completed before i can final release. Im not feeling burnt out yet and am making good progress still. Do keep in mind that everything you see in the album is just a concept. No detail or terrain has been added and the ground textures are wrong. 

• Like 11

Very impressed with the progress being made! It's to see you've planned it out in baby steps. A lot of Terrain makers try to tackle the whole thing right away.

Spoiler

8B27C18DF31520F8B850C378EEDC8AD7FBF8EDB9

Creating the Cliff faces that will surround the higher portions. This is just a concept that I found to like and will place on the rim of every high area. There will be points that are traversable.

• Like 6

Just discovered this-very impressive! It is turning out very nicely, and your planning and preparation methods seem like a great way to get through it.

I saw a bridge in one of your pics. Are you planning a river under it? The work done on rivers and canals in the Diyala terrain by CypeRevenge would fit this really nicely.

Keep up the good work :)

Thanks for the feedback, I do not plan on making it a full river. It is just a dried river bed in real life and i plan on keeping it that way. CypeRevenges Diyala is a big inspiration for this.

• Like 4

Week 3 Completion Update

Completion Chart

This week has been a bit slower. I've joined the RSO team and will be assisting them where I can. Im building a new website for them, learning how to help with the buildings, and working on some back-end stuff for al-haddar so i've been a bit distracted with that. I am not going to post any screenshots this week because everything still looks very barren and plain. Again im just concepting at this moment and will detail later to get the right "tone". I've color corrected the sat image to make it look like it does in real life a bit more. Another member of the RSO team found me some really good image and video references of Al-Haddar in real life and i think ive matched the desert color pretty well. 

With that said i'm still working on the project and  will likely finish the concepting to release the alpha in ~3-4 weeks. I had hopes i could release the alpha at about week 5 but that doesn't look plausible unless I stop working with RSO to focus on Al-Haddar.

Further updates with come in the future each week.

• Like 10

it's not that bad really, as we don't put ourselves under pressure of timescales, Things get done when they get done. Things get released when they get released. 

• Like 2

Week 6 Completion Update

Completion Chart

I've been gone for a bit with work and stuff. Had a bit of a realization as to how I want the final map to look. The final map will be something inbetween Diyala and Kunduz. RSO buildings are coming along nicely and are probably going to be released in complete form by the time Al-Haddar is complete.

• Like 8

Some images of what ive been working on lately. Almost done with concepting. Ive reworked the grass clutter to be denser and similar to diyala's grass clutter that i really like.

FPS doesnt drop below 40 on my machine. My machine drops below 25 on some other maps so the performance is still really good.

Album

• Like 8