Greetings BI Community.

Today i decided to learn how to script for A3 and make my own Multiplayer Mission with some cool features, and i don't have the capital to pay someone to do it the way i want things to work, so I have time and i'm very interested in learning how to script, How ever many of you are going to tell me to use google, but i already did and i found some old obsolete pdf that i tried and things wont work. I've been creating CO OP mission using others scripts so i know what i'm talking about.

can someone tell me where can i get an updated tutorial of how to script for A3 ? i want to learn it all. please this is very important for me.

I Hope ya'll have a wonderful day.

Your first important tool you need, like, EVER:

Bohemia Wiki

Bookmark this. This is a complete library and database of all functions and codes within the Arma series. It'll describe each code to you in detail, and in most cases provide you with a way on how to set it up.

As far as tutorials, I really enjoy the YouTube videos done by Feuerex

He explains things in way that is easy to understand and follow.

And my only other piece of advice is just dive in man. Grab examples from other scripts, make stuff, break stuff, it's all trial and error!

• Like 1

There's also a great guide for beginners here:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/145056-arma-3-scripting-tutorial-for-noobs/

I literally printed these chapters out to read through and work from when I started to get a lot more serious about scripting. They cover the basics in a very basic way to get started so it should help you.

Edit: Inside the Wiki are two very helpful pages:

Scripting Commands

Functions

As Sil Carmikas posted though, there's tonnes of useful stuff in there, especially under the "Editing" category.

5 hours ago, harmdhast said:

Hello,

There are sticked topics.

Use them ffs.

I think he got out of the wrong side of bed. I think what he meant to say was.....

Hello,

There are stickied topics.

Use them my good fellow. :f:

• Like 3

Learning how to script is only one facet though.  Also learn how to design.  Let me clarify everyone can be thought how to use a hammer and chisel to build a wall.  That doesn't mean you can build a house.  Here are some tips how to build a house, you'll only learn how to do it by doing it

• Keep scripts small and concise a script that has more then 300 lines of code, can probably be split up in smaller maybe reusable scripts
  • Keep locality in mind , will my script run on all clients, only on the server, on the server and the clients 
  • If you start to write three or more forEach loops inside each other think if there isn't a better way on solving your problem, to many nested loops are a cause of misery on performance
  • Think about how your directory structure will be a well organised script folder is a well maintained script forlder fe:
    • server
      • configuration
    • client
    • shared
    • mission.sqm
    • init.sqf
    • description.ext
  • Use CfgFunctions to make script libraries for functional code that belongs together.  https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Functions_Library_(Arma_3)
  • Write debug code that you can switch on and off with a configuration switch, the debug code will be in your codebase whenever you need it but won't flood logs in production
  • Use variable paths in your script library.  A lot of scripters use code like [] execVM "Myscript\somedir\somescript.sqf";  Which works but if I ever want to use Myscript in my mission I'm force to place the Myscript folder in the root which SUCKS.  It's cleaner to have something like [] execVM (format ["%1\somedir\somescript.sqf", MYSCRIPT_LOCATION]);  Where MYSCRIPT_LOCATION is a global variable defined in init.sqf or somewhere else where you want to init globals.

There is much more I could tell and teach but you'll learn along the way

Here is a good book I recommend and should be mandatory for any software developer: http://ricardogeek.com/docs/clean_code.pdf

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bullseyeonline said:

Greetings BI Community.

Today i decided to learn how to script for A3 and make my own Multiplayer Mission with some cool features, and i don't have the capital to pay someone to do it the way i want things to work, so I have time and i'm very interested in learning how to script, How ever many of you are going to tell me to use google, but i already did and i found some old obsolete pdf that i tried and things wont work. I've been creating CO OP mission using others scripts so i know what i'm talking about.

can someone tell me where can i get an updated tutorial of how to script for A3 ? i want to learn it all. please this is very important for me.

I Hope ya'll have a wonderful day.

Hey man, welcome to the community. I would like to let you know that one of the best decisions I made was to learn to script. It is extremely challenging, educational and fun. I am sure you will enjoy it too. There are also awesome people here who will almost always answer your questions and you will be tempted to ask about each and every little thing, however, I do not recommend you do that since I am sure you also want to be dependant on yourself. So ask when you have completely struck out. 

The following 2 links bookmark them. They are your Arma 3 bible mate with an infinite number of commandments. 

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Scripting_Commands_Arma_3

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Arma_3:_Functions

Good luck bro and remember there are always people here to help you like they helped me

3 hours ago, killzone_kid said:

doesn't run it much nowadays ;)

Still, it's a huge gold mine.