Sign in to follow this  
miguel93041

Texture expand bug

Hello guys, i don´t know why but i have this particular bug or error and i tried several things but im not able to make it work. Could you help me please? Thanks

b8b63da815636528119acba670096b8d.png

looks like the sign writer was drunk, he came back from a long lunch and this was the result lol

• Like 3

having a look over that model, that texture is the last of your concerns...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Auss said:

looks like the sign writer was drunk, he came back from a long lunch and this was the result lol

Think so first time i saw it hahaha :rotfl:

2 hours ago, PuFu said:

having a look over that model, that texture is the last of your concerns...

Yes before i posted this i knew it was a model problem but i dont know why!

Look:

c451f38e76fc81584492739628f36117.png

1d5bf3c34c8443d608bb4bcb5d8b1c33.png

Everything its fine i guess.. If i make a plane and map it, it looks great but i dont know why this happen

Your UV map is just a copy of the object mesh from a planar (flat) view.

But when the texture is applied it is transposed onto curved surfaces, so you see a distortion?

The UV map needs to be created by unwrapping the model from a curved surface to a flat plane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_mapping

http://www.chocofur.com/5-uv-mapping.html

Blender has a handy 'Smart UV Project' feature which can help.

4 hours ago, UK_Apollo said:

Your UV map is just a copy of the object mesh from a planar (flat) view.

But when the texture is applied it is transposed onto curved surfaces, so you see a distortion?

The UV map needs to be created by unwrapping the model from a curved surface to a flat plane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_mapping

http://www.chocofur.com/5-uv-mapping.html

Blender has a handy 'Smart UV Project' feature which can help.

I have unwraped the selection of the hood for example in object builder -> Surfaces -> Unwrap structure...        And started the UV editor and map it, i copied the UV map and unwraped the selection and pasted the previous UV map on the UV editor so i have the model correctly and the UV too, but unfortunately the texture its still bad like this:

Any idea?

I'm not an expert by any means imaginable to the common intellectual capacity of humans...but I'm going to say you didn't make this model.  Someone else probably made it in a very, very complex program, put it on the internet, then you downloaded it and put it in Oxygen.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Delta Hawk said:

I'm not an expert by any means imaginable to the common intellectual capacity of humans...but I'm going to say you didn't make this model.  Someone else probably made it in a very, very complex program, put it on the internet, then you downloaded it and put it in Oxygen.

It's true, didn't say it's mine in any moment but i don't understand what you wanna say. Because it's complex it won't work?

It actually matters quite a bit.  First off the model is way too high poly.  Those models aren't meant for video games like ArmA.  It's basically a waste of polygons that can be used in more important places, like the interior.

As far as the reason why it's doing what it's doing I really shouldn't tell you.  If you want to get into modding then you should have the motivation to create 3d models yourself the correct way.  In my honest opinion using models like that is a cheap way of creating an addon.

Open the UV window in Oxygen.  Drag a box around all of the UV pieces you see in the window.  Don't hit ctrl-a.  Drag a box.  Using the button in the tool bar at the top of the UV window select those polygons in the main Oxygen window.  In the main Oxygen window invert your selection with ctrl-I.  The polys you now have selected are out of the range of normal UV space and will need to be re-unwrapped.

1 hour ago, Delta Hawk said:

It actually matters quite a bit.  First off the model is way too high poly.  Those models aren't meant for video games like ArmA.  It's basically a waste of polygons that can be used in more important places, like the interior.

As far as the reason why it's doing what it's doing I really shouldn't tell you.  If you want to get into modding then you should have the motivation to create 3d models yourself the correct way.  In my honest opinion using models like that is a cheap way of creating an addon.

Open the UV window in Oxygen.  Drag a box around all of the UV pieces you see in the window.  Don't hit ctrl-a.  Drag a box.  Using the button in the tool bar at the top of the UV window select those polygons in the main Oxygen window.  In the main Oxygen window invert your selection with ctrl-I.  The polys you now have selected are out of the range of normal UV space and will need to be re-unwrapped.

I agree with you, it´s a cheap way but i don´t have the time to make models myself. I have two questions if you can answer them i really would appreciate.

First: What Polygon limit do you think is good? around 50000?

Second: I´ve done the invert on the model but the polys selected aren´t any of the body and i don´t think it will solve the problem.

Those are the polys that are causing your problem.  To verify this, delete those polys and the rest of the model show appear as it should in Buldozer.  The VR engine apparently has a problem with polys outside of the normal UV range.

A car like that should be about 8,000 - 13,000 polys.  Believe it or not this dashboard is about 1,000 polys, but it looks better than any 50,000 polygon model in a video game.dashboard1_1.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Delta Hawk said:

Those are the polys that are causing your problem.  To verify this, delete those polys and the rest of the model show appear as it should in Buldozer.  The VR engine apparently has a problem with polys outside of the normal UV range.

A car like that should be about 8,000 - 13,000 polys.  Believe it or not this dashboard is about 1,000 polys, but it looks better than any 50,000 polygon model in a video game.dashboard1_1.jpg

Yes, i trust you, i have made some like this too but with so many time... I´m not god at this. What about doing different LODs?

LOD 0: 30000 poly

LOD 1: 10000 poly

LOD 2: 5000 poly

That way i can have a good car and dont affecting perfomance

Did deleting or correcting the UV for those polygons fix your issue?

Nobody is good at starting this.  It takes years and years, a lot of learning, a lot of dedication and a lot of long nights.  And even then nobody can really say they're good at it since 3d art is constantly evolving faster than what most people are willing to learn.  After all the stress, time and work the only thing you get is the sense of pride of making something.  That's your only reward.  That's why using models like that or even retexturing someone elses' work makes it cheap.

You're suppose to half the poly count for each LOD until you get around 500 or even 50 polys.

7 minutes ago, Delta Hawk said:

You're suppose to half the poly count for each LOD until you get around 500 or even 50 polys.

anything bellow around 400 polys is not worth it anymore from a drawcall pov...

On 2/24/2017 at 8:08 PM, miguel93041 said:

but i don´t have the time to make models myself....

then why are you doing it if time is limited?

2 hours ago, PuFu said:

See, I learn new stuff everyday.

15 hours ago, PuFu said:

then why are you doing it if time is limited?

The fact is that i have time, but not now to learn how to create 3d models. I´m creating custom content to a community and i like to program things, creating scripts etc. I want to join this world when i have a bit of time.

15 hours ago, Delta Hawk said:

Did deleting or correcting the UV for those polygons fix your issue?

Nobody is good at starting this.  It takes years and years, a lot of learning, a lot of dedication and a lot of long nights.  And even then nobody can really say they're good at it since 3d art is constantly evolving faster than what most people are willing to learn.  After all the stress, time and work the only thing you get is the sense of pride of making something.  That's your only reward.  That's why using models like that or even retexturing someone elses' work makes it cheap.

Am.. Well i tried drawing a box around all the UV but i can´t because just check the photo, they are so so big and i can´t zoom out like that so i used CTRL+A (just to try) and delete those but nothing, think it´s because the CTRL+A instead of drag a box.

Also i´m re-creating things because of the poly problem, like lightbars of 600 poly from 0 (I know how to create things like that, but not a car)

63bda1711c59782a9d76a0f780ac3584.png

I didn't think you would zoom out with the instructions I gave you.

But you can see what I mean.  All those polygons are out of the normal UV range for the VR engine...apparently.  They have to be remapped the corrected way or scaled down, which you really can't do in Oxygen.  I would suggest downloading blender, spend a few weeks (or months) learning it and unwrap the model the correct way.  A lot of those artists don't unwrap their models the right way for video games.

• Like 1

I have the same problem, except that in my LOD 0 I only have 29698 faces. I do not understand why the UV deforms as much knowing that I already have to treat models a little bigger.

If by chance you have an answer to bring me, I would gladly

Sincerely, Sezon

screenshot-68.png

screenshot-69.png

screenshot-70.png