fubister

Unusual server lag?

Hi there, every day during evening times my server lags out, its looks just as it would be a ddos attack but here is the weird part, there is no connection lost for players, there is no yellow chain or red chain, players simply stay in one place and nothing moves but we can hear each other perfectly over group channel. I also lose connection to rcon. I'm only left with server restart, I rule out any ddos attack because I can connect to the machine and do whatever with no problems. I don't see anything unusual in .rpt except for maybe

Error: Object(40 : 79) not found

and

Server: Object 64:0 not found (message Type_93)

but google told me it's "normal" for arma server.

Server is on a windows machine.

Ok first of all "normal" by google does not tell anything about the lag you might be getting so if you want some help reply back at me here and I will take a look at it for you and tell you whats going on or even fix it if you want :)

Edited by NID27

you havent give anything like enough info for us to even start to help you.

Having said that it sounds like one of the 2 following issues

You have a badly scripted mission (Or less likely addon) which is eating up cpu cycles) causing the game to lock up in an endless loop

You are having network issues (Lack of bandwidth)

Error: Object(40 : 79) not found

and

Server: Object 64:0 not found (message Type_93)

These are likely to be network related, and am assuming what you are actually getting is very heavy desync

VOIP I believe is peer to peer, so that would explain why you can hear each other but not see any avatars moving

It was all good for couple of days and the issue is back, this time I have some more server rpt. I was searching google and found out I am not the only one with similar issues, in fact there are a lof of people getting those server freezes and they are running separate not related mods.

I'm on a Windows Server 2012 64bit
Intel Xeon E5 2.6ghz 2 sockets 16 virtual processors

24GB RAM

Running arma 3 server on 64 bits.

Atm the average cpu usage is 30% don't know what was the load during the lag.

13:56:02 NetServer::finishDestroyPlayer(1869817933): DESTROY immediately after CREATE, both cancelled
13:56:45 NetServer::finishDestroyPlayer(1911733327): DESTROY immediately after CREATE, both cancelled
13:56:50 NetServer::finishDestroyPlayer(1946732180): DESTROY immediately after CREATE, both cancelled
13:57:01 NetServer::finishDestroyPlayer(1960047820): DESTROY immediately after CREATE, both cancelled
13:59:11 No player found for channel 104229620416 - message ignored
13:59:12 No player found for channel 103488008064 - message ignored
13:59:26 Message not sent - error 0, message ID = ffffffff, to 432179233 (SomePlayer)
13:59:26 NetServer::SendMsg: cannot find channel #1341832503, users.card=19
13:59:26 NetServer: users.get failed when sending to 1341832503
13:59:26 Message not sent - error 0, message ID = ffffffff, to 1341832503 (SomePlayer2)
13:59:26 Client SomePlayer - client's ticket has become invalid. Code: 6
13:59:26 NetServer::KickOff: player=432179233 - !users.get
13:59:26 Client SomePlayer2 - client's ticket has become invalid. Code: 6
13:59:26 NetServer::KickOff: player=1341832503 - !users.get
13:59:26 Server: Network message 61916f is pending

those rpt entries you posted aren't telling you the fault they are telling you the effect, which is basically lost packets of data which can be any and all of the followeing factors

Badly scripted mission/

Badly configged/scripted addon

Host network issues

Poor server configuration (Mainly bandwidth settings)

Trying to host too many clients

A fresh and complete rpt file uploaded to a pastebin link may have been more useful instead of a small snippet

Take a look at this thread....

specifically the section INFORMATION YOU NEED TO PROVIDE

happened today around 18;20 also im running pretty clean altis life mission.

Server machine is a virtual dedicated server, specs are provided above.

full .rpt

http://pastebin.com/QkXLxv6m

basic.cfg

// These options are created by default
language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1.000000;
Resolution_W=800;
Resolution_H=600;
Resolution_Bpp=32;

// These options are important for performance tuning

MinBandwidth = 131072;			// Bandwidth the server is guaranteed to have (in bps). This value helps server to estimate bandwidth available. Increasing it to too optimistic values can increase lag and CPU load, as too many messages will be sent but discarded. Default: 131072
MaxBandwidth = 26214400;		// Bandwidth the server is guaranteed to never have. This value helps the server to estimate bandwidth available.

MaxMsgSend = 256;			// Maximum number of messages that can be sent in one simulation cycle. Increasing this value can decrease lag on high upload bandwidth servers. Default: 128
MaxSizeGuaranteed = 512;		// Maximum size of guaranteed packet in bytes (without headers). Small messages are packed to larger frames. Guaranteed messages are used for non-repetitive events like shooting. Default: 512
MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 256;		// Maximum size of non-guaranteed packet in bytes (without headers). Non-guaranteed messages are used for repetitive updates like soldier or vehicle position. Increasing this value may improve bandwidth requirement, but it may increase lag. Default: 256

MinErrorToSend = 0.001;			// Minimal error to send updates across network. Using a smaller value can make units observed by binoculars or sniper rifle to move smoother. Default: 0.001
MinErrorToSendNear = 0.01;		// Minimal error to send updates across network for near units. Using larger value can reduce traffic sent for near units. Used to control client to server traffic as well. Default: 0.01

MaxCustomFileSize = 0;			// (bytes) Users with custom face or custom sound larger than this size are kicked when trying to connect.

config

// GENERAL SETTINGS
hostname       = "my server name";    // 
password     = "";      // Password required to join the server (remove // at start of line to enable)
passwordAdmin  = "***";       // Password to login as admin. Open the chat and type: #login password
maxPlayers     = 80;    // Maximum amount of players, including headless clients. Anybody who joins the server is considered a player, regardless of their role or team.
persistent     = 1;     // If set to 1, missions will continue to run after all players have disconnected; required if you want to use the -autoInit startup parameter

// VOICE CHAT
disableVoN       = 0;     // If set to 1, voice chat will be disabled
vonCodecQuality  = 30;    // Supports range 1-30; 1-10 is 8kHz (narrowband), 11-20 is 16kHz (wideband), 21-30 is 32kHz (ultrawideband); higher = better sound quality, more bandwidth consumption

// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers = 3;
voteThreshold = 1.5;
allowedVoteCmds[] =            // Voting commands allowed to players
{
	// {command, preinit, postinit, threshold} - specifying a threshold value will override "voteThreshold" for that command
	{"admin", false, false}, // vote admin
	{"kick", false, false, 0.51}, // vote kick
	{"missions", false, false}, // mission change
	{"mission", false, false}, // mission selection
	{"restart", false, false}, // mission restart
	{"reassign", false, false} // mission restart with roles unassigned
};

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")
// It can be several lines, separated by comma
// Empty messages "" will not be displayed, but can be used to increase the delay before other messages
motd[] =
{
	"some1",
	"some2",
	"some3"
};
motdInterval = 3;    // Number of seconds between each message

// MISSIONS CYCLE
class Missions
{
	class Mission1
	{
		template = "WonderLife.Altis"; // Filename of pbo in MPMissions folder
		difficulty = "Custom"; // "Recruit", "Regular", "Veteran", "Custom"
	};
};

// LOGGING
timeStampFormat  = "short";                 // Timestamp format used in the server RPT logs. Possible values are "none" (default), "short", "full"
logFile          = "server_console.log";    // Server console output filename

// SECURITY
BattlEye             = 1;    // If set to 1, BattlEye Anti-Cheat will be enabled on the server (default: 1, recommended: 1)
verifySignatures     = 2;    // If set to 2, players with unknown or unsigned mods won't be allowed join (default: 0, recommended: 2)
kickDuplicate        = 1;    // If set to 1, players with an ID that is identical to another player will be kicked (recommended: 1)
allowedFilePatching  = 1;    // Prevents clients with filePatching enabled from joining the server (0 = block filePatching, 1 = allow headless clients, 2 = allow all) (default: 0, recommended: 1)

// FILE EXTENSIONS
allowedLoadFileExtensions[] =       {"hpp","sqs","sqf","fsm","cpp","paa","txt","xml","inc","ext","sqm","ods","fxy","lip","csv","kb","bik","bikb","html","htm","biedi"}; // only allow files with those extensions to be loaded via loadFile command (since Arma 3 v1.19.124216) 
allowedPreprocessFileExtensions[] = {"hpp","sqs","sqf","fsm","cpp","paa","txt","xml","inc","ext","sqm","ods","fxy","lip","csv","kb","bik","bikb","html","htm","biedi"}; // only allow files with those extensions to be loaded via preprocessFile / preprocessFileLineNumbers commands (since Arma 3 v1.19.124323)
allowedHTMLLoadExtensions[] =       {"htm","html","php","xml","txt"}; // only allow files and URLs with those extensions to be loaded via htmlLoad command (since Arma 3 v1.27.126715)

// EVENT SCRIPTS - see http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Server_Side_Scripting
onUserConnected     = "";    // command to run when a player connects
onUserDisconnected  = "";    // command to run when a player disconnects
doubleIdDetected    = "";    // command to run if a player has the same ID as another player in the server
onUnsignedData      = "kick (_this select 0)";    // command to run if a player has unsigned files
onHackedData        = "kick (_this select 0)";    // command to run if a player has tampered files

// HEADLESS CLIENT
headlessClients[]  = {"127.0.0.1"};    // list of IP addresses allowed to connect using headless clients; example: {"127.0.0.1", "192.168.1.100"};
localClient[]      = {"127.0.0.1"};    // list of IP addresses to which are granted unlimited bandwidth; example: {"127.0.0.1", "192.168.1.100"};

Edited by fubister
information update

Revisit your command lines,

Now these are most likely not the issue but they need sorting

-maxMem=8135 -cpuCount=12 -exThreads=7 -autoinit -enableHT

You are declaring things that don't need declaring, i.e you are declaring the default values

Some command line arguments are contradictory to others.

You are running 64 bit binary and trying to restrict RAM useage

One of your arguments  or rather the value you have set is for a client with a gpu not a dedicated server without one

Rather than tell you what these are, visit this page, read through it and try to get a better understanding

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Startup_Parameters

I pointed you to a debugging tutorial, I didn't do that for laughs and giggles m8

You haven't supplied all the information it asks for, one of those is your bandwidth settings, as this may be a network related issue, that's kind of pretty important.

Now after 3 posts we find out this is an Altis Life server running 136 slots. (You see how initially your first post was completely uninformative)

Here is what I recommend you do to try and do

1) Prove a BIS Vanilla server before you add any 3rd party content (You cannot possibly hope to logically diagnose any server issues without having proven this)

2) I would revisit your bandwidth settings (It would have been nice to see what those were

3) Revert all your modifications back to standard Altis Life. (I assume ""pretty clean Altis life mission."" means you have modded it somewjat.

Then rerun the server see if you have the same issues

If you have, reduce the player slots to something like 50 and then slowly bump the numbers up until you find a sensible value

(Running a server is about providing quality of service not player numbers to see who can get the biggest number on the server browser)

Based on the limited info you have given

It is either

bandwidth/network related

• running with too many player slots
  • server configuration
  • poorly configged bandwidth

Mission related

• mission scripting

Sorry buddy, i missed all that info before, I have updated my post above, also I would like to point out that this issue did not happen for about 2 weeks and it sort of returned after arma update (don't know if related or not). Next interesting thing is that it happened yesterday evening and the lag took about 3min then it went back to normal by itself, so it's the 1st time i was not forced to manually restart the server.

if its happening at the same time every day then  maybe your either running a daily  update that takes a lot of resources or there is an issue on your network