.kju

Invasion 1944 Terrains in Arma 3

pZ36oss.jpg

Logo by Lennard

Pretext

This is an official port authorized by I44 team members (canukausiuka and GuyThomas).

Promo videos

by Jeg0r

by Santiago Vazquez

Galleries

http://imgur.com/a/6ul9s

by Basher

https://imgur.com/a/V1yFC

by Basher

http://imgur.com/a/RrpHR

by El Tyranos

http://imgur.com/a/OyzkA

by stabcon

http://imgur.com/a/y6ZBA

by Dmorok

SAT view

http://imgur.com/a/oMOh1

Topography

http://imgur.com/a/ExRR9

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Merderet

• Area about 25km^2
  • 1 meter heightmap resolution
  • Terrain 5x5km
  • Height is between 5 to 100m full of hills and some lowlands
  • 1 town, 4 villages

Geographical description

Merderet is a river which crosses the Cotentin Peninsula from South to North.
The meanders of the Merderet river are the main geomorphological unit on the zone,
aside from the hills. The north part is covered by forest, and ruled by a medieval
castle named "Châteu de Bossom". The main urban area is Chef Du Pont, surrounded
by some little villages and their tillage lands. In the South of the map lies
the ruins of "Châteu de Guy-Son". Chef Du Pont is between the Utah and Omaha beaches.

Historical review

The objective of Mission Boston was to consolidate beachheads to protect the landing
of the US 7th Army Corps in UTAH beach at D-Day, as part of Operation Overlord.
6.420 Paratroopers from 82 nd and 101 st Airborne Divisions would jump five hours
ahead of the main landing to take control of the strategic crossroads, bridges and
towns such as Ste. Mére-Eglise and the bridges of Chef-du Pont and La Fiére on the
Merderet river. When German defenders realized that the invasion had started a great
extension of land was inundated from the sluicegates of Carentan making these two
bridges vital for heading inland and join the forces landed at Omaha beach as well
as to cut off the Cotentin peninsula towards West, so they would become the theater
of several German counterattacks between D-Day at 2:00 a.m. and the arrival of Major
General J. Lawton Collins’ VII Corps at the village of Chef-du-Pont in 9 of June.

Omaha

• Area about 25km^2
  • Terrain 5x5km
  • Height is between 0 to 71, with the coastal cliffs as main geological formation
  • 2 towns

Geographical description

Located in the English Channel, Omaha is a beach on the Normandy Department in North
France. The coast is near 5km long with sedimentary cliffs and a wide bocage landscape at
south. There is hardly any urbanization aside from little villages and a few farms.

Historical review

Omaha was the code name of one of the five sectors the Allies had to take in German-occupied
France in D-Day. The primary objective of this operation was to secure an area of 5 miles inland
from Omaha beach for it to become the joining point of the 7 th Army Corps, which was landing
at Utah, and the British Army, landing at Gold. The German forces of the LXXXIV Corps had
prepared vast defenses along the coast and also inland, making the advance very complicated.
The Allies chose very carefully which units to use in each wave to undermine the German
defenses and clear the way for the next one. In the US side, the battle-hardened 1 st Infantry
Division was sent to control the eastern half and the untested 29 th Infantry Division was sent to
take control of the western part of the beach along with nine companies of U.S. Army Rangers.
In the German side, the 352 nd Infantry Division and 439 th Ost-Battalion were tasked to stop the
invasion.

Neaville

• Area about 25km^2
  • Terrain 5x5km (aprox.)
  • Height is between 35m to 68m, with the plains as main landscape
  • 1x castle ruins, 11x villages, 1x town, some farms

Geographical description

Near the coast of the English Channel, lies the town of Neaville. This French town
is part of a rural landscape, with plenty orchards and crop lands. A large portion
of the terrain is covered by bocage like country. Some ponds can be found near the
few villages around the main population center. The area is mainly flat, with
little to no slopes.

Historical review

-missing-

Battle of the Bulge

• Area about 1km^2
  • Terrain 1x1km (aprox.)
  • Height is between 132m-169m
  • 1x city, forest area

Geographical description

The map is a dense forest in most part, and the industrial city of Bastogne in
the south-east. The forest is covering a low height hill and spans most part of
the map.

Historical review

The Battle of the Bulge took place in December 1944 around the Belgian town of Bastogne,
located in the densely forested Ardennes region in Wallonia. It would become the theatre of the
III Reich’s last major counterattack, trying to isolate and later destroy four Allied armies at once
by taking the Belgian city of Antwerp, like Hitler did at the beginning of the war. Due to the
difficult weather conditions at the moment of the German attack in a weak point of the confident
Americans took them completely off guard and they sieged the town of Bastogne. Finally
General Patton arrived with his Third Army and the Wehrmacht could be stopped, and this
would cause massive losses on both sides, becoming one of the longest and bloodiest battles for
the Americans in the whole war. Around 22,800 men were involved as part of the Allied side
and more than 54,000 soldiers from the Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe and SS. This offensive was
called “Unternehmen Wacht Am Rhein” (Operation Watch on the Rhine), after the German
patriotic hymn Die Wacht am Rhein.

Credits

(Alphabetically)

• B@Co
  • Belgerot
  • Boomrang
  • Canukausiuka
  • Chuck
  • Guy Thomas
  • JdB
  • Joffre257
  • Jojimbo
  • Marcel
  • Macolik
  • MonkWarrior
  • Pac
  • Rebus
  • SFG
  • SirDieAlot
  • Vex_Man

Terrain authors

• Omaha - ?
  • Buldge - Prowler
  • Neaville - McNools
  • Merderet - Macolik
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Plans

We hope to further improve the terrains in the future. So keep your feedback and suggestions coming!

• Like 5

These are great! Thank you, and others for taking the time to port them.

• Like 1

Thank you for that release.

One correction though, Antwerp is the second largest city of Belgium, it is not Dutch as you said in the historical part of the battle of Bulge.

Oh this is awesome. Now I can have some WWII terrains to use with Faces Of War. I missed these terrains from Arma 2. Thanks!

• Like 1

Neaville used to be my favourite map but not any  more. Neaville with the new lighting looks washed out and really bad IMO.. BI took all the joy away from the most wondeful maps.

@papanowel

thanks fixed

@nikiforos

unfortunately BI still didnt bother to provide docu for the terrain lighting..

@1212PDMCDMPPM

thanks. we are aware of the issue and hope to fix it in the next update

• Like 3

So many top maps being made these days, thanks .kju, more to the collection. :rthumb:

• Like 2

What a lovely surprise :)

kju, thank you as always for your unrivalled efforts on behalf of the community, and thanks to the i44 team for allowing their great maps to be ported to A3. Kudos!

• Like 2

What's the explanation for the lighting issue? I recall hearing something about you guys using Apex lighting and sound for the maps, is that true?

If so, why not just revert to vanilla Arma 3 lighting? When I ported the maps from I44 to ArmA 3 myself last year for personal use the lighting looked good and worked fine without any of the current day-to-night transition issues that this mod has.

@Zhivets

yes we will revert the lighting in this weeks update

• Like 4

Wow, @.kju, that's fantastic! Thanks a lot!

Amazing maps, thanks to the I44 team too for allowing it!

• Like 1

Preview v17 is out

Download

http://ww2ina3.com/wiki/index.php?title=I44_Download

Changelog

http://ww2ina3.com/wiki/index.php?title=I44_Changelog

This is mainly a maintenance update.

Highlights

• Changed: reverted the custom lighting from CUP for now.
  • Added: doors actions to R67 bunkers.
  • Added: missing editor preview image thanks to Dmorok.
  • Fixed: I44_weeds black alpha.

Suggestions and issues please go here.

For a chat or interested to assist us - join our discord server.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, .kju said:

Hi kju

This links to the IFA download (identical to the one in the "Iron Front Terrains in Arma 3 - preview versions" thread).

Could you post the correct link when you have a moment?

Cheers, and thanks again for this great addition to A3 :)