Maio

Arma 3: Community wishes & ideas- DISCUSSION

Lightning sound on level of Arma 2 at least. It might suffer the same problem as weapons that the sound cuts/filter off too early and that way sounds so weak. But it's super weak now.

Windshield visibility would be very nice addition. Also different rain sound when inside a house or a vehicle.

That's all I like to see.

Even if the A3 suddenly became mainly weather effects simulator, I would still like to have it, so any initiative towards such improvements has my full and expressly spoken support.

We need snow

Why do we need snow, Altis hasn't got the topography for snow and neither is it in a place geographically where snow would be likely. My opinion of course but snow wouldn't fit in the whole scheme of things.

Merged weather wishlist / feature request thread from dev branch subforum.

Why do we need snow, Altis hasn't got the topography for snow and neither is it in a place geographically where snow would be likely. My opinion of course but snow wouldn't fit in the whole scheme of things.
You're assuming Stratis and Altis are the only maps we're going to use in A3.

You're assuming Stratis and Altis are the only maps we're going to use in A3.

Yes indeed I am. If other maps come along and it is snowing on those maps, I will grab my coat!

Dynamic weather such as snow would be really cool for maps. No longer would map makers have to create standard maps, then winter editions or in BIS's case flooded editions. Also it would be very interesting to see gameplay during the early periods of snowfall and see it accumulate as a battle progresses over several hours.

If the engine would be able to support leaving footprints and tracks that would be even more amazing. I know in A2 it was "sort of" done but the effect was very hard to notice even when a footprint should be very distinct.

Squirrel's Big Freakin Wish List

Ok so I'm posting this in this thread as well because I'd like to be able to discuss some things if need be, it was originally posted in the Wishlist and Ideas - No Discussion thread. I'm not sure if any of these issues were addressed yet or if they are currently working to fix them.

I wrote this at work so I don't have all my notes, some of my information might be slightly off but I will still try to make my point as clear as possible.

I didn't originally post this in the wish list thread because I fear it's already too big for someone to read as a single post but it got moved, not to mention the game is already out so this might just be a big waste of time. I didn't want this getting lost in the sea of one line post post but since this thread has been dead for a while I think it will be better now. Hopefully my goal of bringing together a collection of ideas from others as well as my own will be realized and taken into consideration for a more…complete feeling "Full Release" game.

.....Lets begin.....

Here is something I hope everyone will take a look at… I feel this would make players who are sticklers for quick concise information on the map, like me, very happy.

This is my suggestion for the map symbols.

Basically you would have 10 save slots for your most commonly used symbols. Along with the symbols you can also save what color and what text are accompanied with them by simply typing in the text, picking the color and dragging the symbol to an a empty slot WITHOUT hitting OK.

OPERATION:

Open the map and double click on the spot you would like to mark as you normally would.

Simply use the up and down arrows like normal to change the symbol.

Choose the color by clicking on it with your mouse cursor.

If you'd like to save text with the symbol, simply type what you want in the text bar.

If you don't want text then just leave the text bar empty.

Once you have everything set up, simply move your cursor over to the big symbol and drag it to an empty slot. DO NOT HIT OK unless you also want to place that symbol on the part of the map you double clicked on.

If you only want to save symbols BUT not place a marker on the map at that time you would simply hit cancel to close the window after you've saved your symbols to the save slots.

To clear a save slot you must move the cursor over the slot and press delete. Simply dragging a different symbol over a filled slot WILL NOT replace it. This is to prevent accidental replacement during "Oh crap I'm getting shot!" combat. 30xipmf.png

OPTIMIZATION:

Now I don't know the specs of my computer off hand but I can tell you it shouldn't have as much trouble as it does with frame rate drop. I normally run 76-78 fps but when turning...everyone knows already...it drops...blah blah blah… I love good graphics and I don't know much about the correct order of building a game...I just know that graphics shouldn't be the only focus and that being able to see the whites of the enemy's eyes doesn't help me much when I get all of 6 frames to line up my sights and die...or crash into a mountain. A few other things fall under this category as well I believe...

4. Automatic Mod Downloader: I don’t like playing with a whole bunch of different mods simply because some seem to be more trouble than their worth and kind of a pain to get. However I know some are must haves… so when you join a server it should look and find what mods you need and ask if you want to download them. From there, clicking OK would download and install automatically or you could set your settings so that it opens up the website, allowing you to check the mod out and see if it’s legit before committing.

3. Multiplayer Server List and Filter: Now maybe they’re planning on working on this but, am I the only one that thinks the Multiplayer server list could use some revamping? And why does it only sort by one parameter? I’m not talking about filtering…I’m talking about sorting the list. If I click on Ping ^ Then it shows me the servers with the lowest ping at the top. But if I click on Ping^ then Players^ it only sorts by players. Why can’t I click on Ping^ Players^ and Type^ and see groupings of Co-op, DOM, TDM in lowest to highest order of ping and players at that specific time. The filter could use a little work too, it’s not very big, just put it along the bottom of the server list.

2. Parties, Squads, SOMETHING!: PARTIES- There should be some way you can link up with friends in the server list and all join a game together with the assurance that you’ll all be in the same squad…WITHOUT having to join an empty server! (Like how WARFRAME does it.) Perhaps in the actual game lobby there could also be a little box next to your name that you could click if you don’t mind being moved to a different squad and position when a party wishes to join your team and play together. Maybe a little box would pop up in the corner and say something like, “A party has joined your team. You have been moved to Delta Squad – Grenadier.†SQUADS – I really think that creating squads should be left up to the players in game since only about a quarter of players on public servers actually stay and work together with the squad they’re in. Allowing players to create squads would also eliminate the notorious headless squad…Plenty of Indians but no chief… If you create a squad you are the squad leader. Now I know some are going to be up in arms and screaming that is isn’t BF3 or COD but that’s not a valid argument in this case. Creating squads lets players choose to work together and it gives the Squad leader a good idea of who he can count on, none of this wasting time hoping your squad mate won’t go off and do his own thing never to return again. We need to weed out the faint hearted by realistic gameplay, not forcing groups who work well together to split up.

1. Overall Clunkiness: This is probably the most important to me, like I said before, graphics are great but they count for very little if the game runs like crap. I want to be able to play multiplayer against real people or AI seamlessly. No clunky shuffling jerking movements, no struggling to aim in on a target because of choppy gameplay, it needs to be SMOOTH! Getting stuck on doors, rails, rocks, corners, being unable to shoot through, climb through, or break out windows. Frame Rate, glitching through walls, getting killed by invisible fire…The list is pretty long and it needs to be addressed. Don’t worry about the underwater stuff until the problems on land are fixed...Especially on Altis…editor, single, and MP.

Features:

Across the board Team authority to punish Team Killers/vehicle destroyers: New options for players to take matters into their own hands when admins are not online. #VoteFreezeBlind- Blinds and Freezes all actions by the player by taking away their ability to see, shoot, move, communicate, throw grenades, check their inventory, and map for 2 minutes, 5 minutes, or until server restart. (If there is a way to keep them from disconnecting from the server for 5 minutes just to waste their time I would like that as well.) Too many times have I had to endure someone with nothing better to do than sit in spawn or just outside and repeatedly kill teammates or blow up vehicles in an effort to cripple their team. We should have some ability to annoy them until they go away with something that constantly halts their game play via a 2/3 vote. Vote kick is ineffective because the harassing player can just return and continue or make a new profile and return…at least with this you would stop them from having as much fun. If they change their profile name then you can just vote against that name too. The servers should remember those names until it restarts or have a #Voteban - which would ban that name for 24 hours. Perhaps we could also have a #Votecheck– Which would give all other players a window in the map that would allow them to check the inventory, rate of travel, and whatever else would be useful for determining dishonest gameplay. The votes for a check should NOT be visible to the player who is being checked, meaning it shouldn't show up in chat for that person. This would stop them from turning off their cheats before the vote was passed, unnecessary banter, and preemptive or retaliatory douchebaggery.

I’m not very fond of having admins simply because one has to be online in order for any action to be taken. The power needs to lie with the players to regulate themselves.

The scroll wheel menu interface and AI Communications Rose: I WANT MY NUMBER KEYS BACK!

I firmly believe that every keybinding should be customizable by the user….Should you be allowed to keep the menu how it is? Sure. Should you have the option for something better if you want it though? Absolutely! I don’t completely hate the scroll menu but I think it should be restricted to only whatever is being used/interacted with.

I personally believe that weapons should be set to number keys. I know people like to call it arcadeish when you set weapons to number keys but if you think about it….In real life…. All the tactical gear that people buy is designed for one purpose… to make your gear easier to wear, access, and use. This same concept could be applied to the use of number keys. I think that was one of the major oversights by the developers….It’s 2035 and we seem to have forgotten all about smooth quick weapons transitions, one point slings, and weapons catches. Ordinarily you would execute a weapons transition from primary to secondary when the immediate employment of your primary weapon is no longer the best option. This often takes place under fire and when you have no good cover, meaning that you SHOULD be moving. However, thanks to the animations or whatever the problem is… you can’t switch weapons while moving so that makes that option practically useless.

My personal set up would look something like this….

Pointing at a door and scrolling up or down would push it open or closed like in Sakura Chan’s video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70CoV...layer_embedded

However, I could also double click with the scroll wheel button to open up more options(Lock door, pick lock, kick door? Get in gunner seat, etc.…) or single click to just use the item/function. For wounded you would simply point and scroll down to drag, scroll up to drop, and click to give first aid/open the first aid rose for more in-depth game play types.

Number keys:

1. Primary Weapon or TOGGLE Primary to Secondary / Secondary to primary

2. Secondary Weapon or TOGGLE Current weapon to launcher / Launcher to previous weapon

3. Launcher or Muzzle thump (If they ever add it. This could work with a bayonet too if they ever add that.)

4. IFAK or bring up the First Aid rose/menu for more in-depth game play.

5. Cycle grenades or maybe open a weapons rose(You could choose options for your rifle, grenade launcher, or pistol such as load tracers, change rate of fire, reload 40mm smoke or flares, or switch to smoke grenades or chemlights.)

6. Special gear (Mine Detector, UAV terminal, or whatever else.)

7. Switch to grenade launcher, change to tracer magazines or Consolidate ammo (If that is ever added.)

8. Place Explosives or open a Ordinance rose to choose the type of explosives or mines, place, set timer or even touch off. (Voiding 0)

9. Empty

0. Touch off bombs

As far as AI commands go, I think a revamped version of the Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Comm Rose would be ideal. Maybe cross it with the BF2 command rose. I think in BF2 there were actually 3 roses… one for communication, one for individual player actions, and one for fire support…maybe not though. For those that don’t remember the Dragon Rising rose, it opened up with more options depending on where you clicked. http://faqsmedia.ign.com/faqs/image/article/103/1035048/of2dr_rings.jpg

NOTE: As other have said, it’s a matter of separating user items/weapons from things that you interact with like doors and vehicles. If you haven’t noticed already, I’m a fan of rose menus but one feature I would like to see if they are added is the option to set certain functions in those menus as a single key as well. (I.E. Ctrl+G=Cycle Grenades but you could also do it through the Weapons rose.)

Weapons rose: Primary weapon (Left side)- switch rate of fire, load tracer mag, consolidate ammo(center button). Grenade Launcher (Top Right)- Load Smoke, Load flare, Load HEDP. Special launcher(Top) Load AT, Load AA. Grenades (Bottom): Select smoke, select flare, select chemlight, select rock, select incendiary, or select Frag. (You would still use the throw key to throw grenade types.) I drew another sweet picture for this on MS Paint but my work filter won’t let me post it.

Ordinance: Select claymores or various mine types. Select Satchel or other explosives, Set timer, touch off. (Touch off should be center or bottom button) Though I wonder if it might be easier to make all weapons and ordinance options usable from the inventory menu…?

Desync Chain: Does anyone remember this little box from Counter Strike? Net_graph3_explanation.jpg I believe this would be a much more useful tool than a simple colored chain.

Changing weapons while running and BIPODS: Obviously this is a given... not sure if they fixed this in the "full release" but I don't think they did… I know I had some issue when playing....

Stuck aiming down the sights after hitting map button: Aim in on something and hit the map button… close your map and you’ll be stuck aiming down the sights until you hold aim and open the map again.

Ability to use a GPS while driving an armored vehicle turned in: Don't know why this doesn't work but it doesn't for me. (First person)

Short Stocking/Moving sideways through doorways: We're supposed to be trained soldiers...even with a long rifle we should be able to find some way to make it work! (I.E. Short stocking) Even if we can't aim down the sights while standing in the absolute threshold of the door, we would find some way to completely pie that corner! What about something similar to ...I think it was Gears of War...where he sticks his gun up over a wall and blind fires. I don't want to have a soldier that blind fires but maybe moving up to a doorway sideways and leaning over causes him to snake his gun out and peek. You couldn't aim down the sights but you could at least suppress long enough to get back in and out of the line of fire or if you kept stepping out you'd eventually raise your weapon again....Or just make it so we move smoothly through doorways… This should be something achievable from the standing all the way down to low crouching stances. Oh and if you're thinking trained military operators don't bring their weapons out of their shoulders, you're wrong! In combat you do what you have to do to make it work, if you have a short barrel rifle that’s fine but if your rifle has a 20inch barrel…something is going to have to change.

Step Over/Climb: I shouldn't have to hit a button for anything under...eh… I say thigh high… unless it's railing along a cliff or the edge of a roof. (That’s so you don’t fall off without meaning to.) If I'm moving forward and I come to a knee high ledge or step I'm simply going to raise my leg and go... Another thing... CLIMBING! This doesn't pertain to ladders… I'm talking about walls… You know the walls in Agia Marina that surround some of the houses? A motivated warfighter should be able to go up to one of those walls hit "step over" and leap, pulling himself up onto the wall… it should take away his stamina...more or less depending on gear... but he should be able to first stay on his starting side of the wall, come to a forearm hang and peak over (If you take too long he should get tired and drop back down)... hitting forward brings you prone on the top of the wall and then doing so again would send you over the other side or you could hit back and go back from whence you came.

Climbing up ladders: Not sure if this is being fixed but I think we all know the issue… When climbing up to the top of a ladder you don't need to stand completely up. The animation should be changed so that when going up, once the character's waist is past the top of the ladder he bends forward as if trying to put his chest on whatever he's climbing onto...taking the last 3 steps or so and finishing out in the prone, from there you could crawl, crouch or stand from one button push. You don't want to skyline yourself! When mounting the ladder to go down he should stay in the prone if your character was already in prone. If you were standing or crouching then he will crouch. (Stance fidelity is very important.) At the bottom of the latter obviously doesn't matter but you should be able to mount from any position…and I do believe the ladders should be operated by a use key function or at least lock the scroll wheel menu from giving other options when trying to use the ladder. (You'd need to be looking at it and pressed right up against it, not just in the general area.) This will allow you to still do other important things like place explosives or change to tracers.

Shooting out of vehicles: Cars, Trucks, Helos, and ATVs: I don't need to explain this do I? …Off the back of an ATV or from the bed of a civilian truck, from the passenger seat, out the window or through the windshield. From gun ports on armored vehicles to the bench seats on the MH-9 or for the guys closest to the side doors on the Mi-48 Kaiman. (Friendly fire might be an issue with that.) Oh here's a big one....Since no one thought to give the commander a gun on the Bluefor tank the least they could do is let him shoot with his rifle when turned out.

Better visibility and DETAIL for armored drivers Turned In: This is supposed to be the future...No one would make an armored vehicle with only one available view port unless they have absolutely no idea what they're doing and didn't learn from WWII. You can even see 3 distinct view ports on the driver hatches of the vehicles in Arma 3 right now, you should at least able to turn your head and look diagonally. Ideally the view ports would have...eh 135 degrees field of view? Also again, this is supposed to be the future… the drivers should have a dashboard with a screen that shows at least a rear facing camera that is Night Vision capable (ideally it would have a forward facing camera as well). And if you really want to get fancy... the driver's front facing camera should be connected to a slave system on their helmet like an Apache gunner... where ever he turns his head is where the camera looks, so that it would be just like if he was turned out. It doesn’t need thermal or anything super fancy just give him the tools to see where he’s going. (Night vision and a little bit of zoom to identify IED’s and mines.) We have web cams that can zoom, pan left, right, up, down, rotate 360, and track faces…I can’t see why we couldn’t mount a camera on a tank under the turret for the driver.

Armor Optics Vulnerable to Small Arms Fire: Any mounted weapon with a remote viewer SHOULD be vulnerable to small arms fire IF YOU CAN HIT IT. For tanks and APC’s at least, they should have a redundancy system. The periscope view ports (the 3 slots on the driver’s hatches) should be used only as a last resort after their good optics have been destroyed, but even the view ports should be able to get shot up so bad that you can’t see out. Obviously I know that 3rd person will make this feature useless but it should still be added. It’s too bad that the devs didn’t think of this before the models were made. I would have given the gunner a primitive periscope sight mounted next to and looking down along the bore of the main gun so it and his coaxial machine gun would still be somewhat effective. The gunner sight would be receded inside the armor of the turret, requiring a nearly straight on shot to hit it. The down side is that it wouldn’t be thermal or night vision, it wouldn’t have zoom and it would have a severely limited field of view. (Scenario) You’re hiding in a building and a tank pulls up beside you and stops in the street with no infantry support, you should be able to shoot out the optics of the tank partially or completely blinding it if you can hit all the cameras and view ports.

3 guns for tanks and driver ability to turn out with someone in gunner spot: I'm still mad about this... The gunner should control the main gun and coaxial medium machine gun. The commander should have control of a heavy machine gun in which he can fire while turned in or turned out. All drivers should be able to drive turned out regardless if someone is in the gunner seat.

Female Characters - Military and Civilian: I currently have 3 female friends who mentioned it's dumb that there are no females in the game. Maybe something like F.E.T. Marines (Female Engagement Teams - AKA - Lionesses) These are the ladies who go out on patrol with us (Infantry Marines) and interact with the women and children. Also, female military police, motor transport, HIT (human intelligence), interpreters, pilots, UAV controllers, officers and or Red Patchers! (Landing Support Specialist) In all honesty I really don’t think they need specialized titles, just make female characters.

Breakable Doors, and Windows: I think this is pretty self-explanatory… it shouldn’t take 10 rounds to knock out a window, you should be able to toss grenades from windows, and you should also be able to climb through windows if they’re big enough! Don’t go through doors if you don’t have to. Doors should be able to be kicked down or blown off the hinges as well. (Found that you can break windows quickly by shooting the frame in the center of the window… 3 shots with a pistol should break all the glass…still gives your position away though.)

Muzzle Thump: There should be a feature to thrust the muzzle of your weapon against your enemy. Hits to the body would stun/knock them back for 1 or 2 seconds, giving you the ability to thump them in the head… one hit to the head would stun for 5 seconds, a second hit would knock them unconscious for 15 seconds, a third hit would kill them. It would also allow you to break out windows without making too much noise...maybe even break door locks?

Rocket Damage to buildings: When a rocket hits a building it shouldn’t turn the whole building brown and send cracks everywhere. Instead it should punch a fairly large hole in the wall, blow out the windows, doors on that level and char the inside and around the hole. (Unless it’s HE or thermobaric) Now this may be a glitch but I’ve seen several buildings either just brought down or still completely intact but simply charred looking. The reason I think this is important is because at many points in a MOUT environment, the safest way into a building is through the door you made. :P Many times we have used rockets to knock holes in walls and houses to gain entry.

Rocket Sounds: The sounds of a rocket being fired and impacting need to be changed. The distinct “Currclunk†noise is the sound of the rocket leaving the tube and is only heard if you are in fairly close proximity. The next sound, “psssSSSSSHHHHH†is the sound of the rocket motor starting up, That is what you should hear the farther you are away. As far as the impacts go…the sound is off but it’s still pretty realistic in that you don’t hear much of a hissing roar unless it passes over you.

Interpreters, Assigned Radios and GPS - Opfor/Bluefor: Someone else mentioned this and I agree but with a few small changes... Firstly, ACRE is cool but again this is the future and I like to use my imagination a little and believe that technology has advanced to the point that we no longer need a PRC-119, 148, 343. I'd like to believe that everything we need, be it UHF, VHF, or Satellite could be achieved through a radio no bigger than a PRC-148. And we could also just say that the tech was invented by the west but of course china ripped it off and sold it to everyone. :P Now, every side would have their own.. You could kill the enemy and take their radio but you would have to give it to an interpreter and then the interpreter would have to relay those messages to command or the rest of the troops... and I mean by word of mouth, not just have it broadcast to everyone else. If you wanted to make things a little more complicated you could have a 4 digit pass code (#1-4 only) that would have to be cracked before being able to use the radio... You could have it so that only enemy squad leaders had the pass code written down on their map. You would need to kill one, search their bodies and take their map to find the code, same with the GPS. In addition, interpreters could have a code breaker device that must be attached to the radio/GPS and takes 10minutes to crack if you didn’t already have the code.

Incendiary and other specialty grenades: We need thermite grenades to destroy radios and equipment without loud bangs from explosions… also FLASH BANGs. Tear gas might be interesting but all I care about right now is the incendiary. Tear gas would require gas mask too so that shouldn’t come till after everything else has been fixed.

Consolidate Ammo: There should be a button in the inventory to take your half or near empty magazines and consolidate your ammo into full mags. That is so you don’t have to fire 3 rounds, change mags, fire 6 rounds, change mags, so on and so forth…

Helmet lights and strobes: Since I believe all the helmets in Arma 3 have strobes I think it would be neat to see a 3 function helmet light compiled into a single unit. However this particular helmet light can also be clipped to the brim of hats. It would feature: http://i40.tinypic.com/xehrtk.png (485 kB)

1. Forward facing Visual (white) and IR headlamp. (Select which one you want to turn on)

2. A NON-FLASHING multi-color choice (Blue, Red, Green, Yellow… Think replacement for chemlights.) MARKER. (Select which one you want to turn on)

3. And a Visual/IR strobe.

These 3 feature types would all work independently of each other and the status of your helmet lights would be displayed by a simple indicator on the stance menu. This would also enable visual lights while not giving up IR weapon mounted lasers, since for some reason you can't have both on your weapon. In addition, each side could have their own type of helmet light/strobe....Hang on this is where it gets complicated.... You could tell them apart in the air by the flash patterns.

Bluefor: .....\Flash/....1. 1000, 2. 1000, 3. 1000.... \Flash/...and so on

Opfor: ......\Flash/ \Flash/.....1. 1000, 2. 1000, 3.1000, 4. 1000.....\Flash/ \Flash/…and so on

Green: ......\Flash/ \Flash/..(1/4 second pause)..\Flash/ \Flash/.....1. 1000, 2. 1000, 3. 1000.....\Flash/ \Flash/..(1/4 second pause)..\Flash/ \Flash/…and so on

Civilian Dogs: Cities have dogs, some are nice, some are mean, some bark and some don’t really care. I would like to see scenarios where dogs would bark and alert people in the area when opposing forces are nearby… or possibly even attack or attack and run away as if it was scared and just trying to protect it’s family and territory.

Depleting supply crates that can be dropped off by helicopters: Crates can be customizable but will take up the spots of 2 or 5 people depending on size, large or small. (I.E. Ammo crate small- 30stanmags, 12 200rd belt, 20grenades, 20 HE40mm, 2 rockets. Large crate- Lynx Rifle w/ 5mags, 8 rockets, 60 stanmag, 20 200rd belt, 40genades, 40 HE40mm.) Once the ammo is gone, it’s gone. The helicopters don’t have to land to drop these crates off, however the higher the altitude the more chance you have that weapons or ammo will be damaged. (Not available and unable to take out of the crate – Highlighted in red.) 3 meters and below- No damage. 7 to 3 meters- Possible moderate damage. 8 meters and higher- Critical damage. SCENARIO: Something similar to Invade and Annex… Assault an objective and take it over. Supplies are limited and crates spawn every 15 minutes at the main base requiring them to be helo’d out to the forward positions. On top of that, some objectives might receive a counter attack from the enemy up to 15 minutes after being taken; this would make having a fluid supply line key and ensure the helo pilots stayed busy.

Better HUD for planes and helicopters: We know the white lock on box isn’t cutting it. How about helmet mounted HUD? (Circle and look at a target, lock, fire, go home and play N64. - Pilot Life)

Occupant list in vehicles: Everyone inside of a vehicle should be able to see the names of everyone else in that vehicle with them including what position they are in. Every seat should have a number...yes like BF3. Perhaps you could choose where you'd like that list to show up on your screen, side or bottom… or hide it all together.

A Word about the Futuristic Setting: Arma 3 is set in 2035, a lot of people REALLY hate this concept. For some reason they believe that just because a game is set in the future, it can’t be realistic and therefore it must be shifting from the beloved milsim style game they once played and is now turning into Starship Troopers. ZOMG! The truth is that no one has said anything about spaceships and laser and as long as we keep it that way, I think we’ll be just fine. Personally I really like the future setting and the truth is all of the weapons and vehicles so far seem to be pretty well grounded to current technology standards…in fact I strongly believe that some might have taken a step back…but I suppose that is realistic too. After all, defense contractors don’t always learn their lesson the first time. With that being said, in response to all the people crying for old weapons, vehicles and planes, I think it would be better to push BIS to focus on the REALISTIC FUTURE weapons and vehicles that they already have planned or are in the game, plus a few more… (See aircraft) Because of BIS’s limited time and resources I don’t think it would be practical to polish all the old content from Arma 2, instead that content should be polished and brought in from the mod community thanks to so many people wanting so many different things and what not. They left the game open to modding for a reason….

Vehicles: I’m not really going to get too into this one but I think a lot of people including myself feel like there is still much to be desired. The Mobile Artillery, IFVs, and AA are just variations of the BTR’s and Panthers. I’m all for variety in weapons but I can’t help but wonder if we will find a somewhat sizable gap in firepower and capabilities between some of the Bluefor and Opfor vehicles. I.E. Lack of ATGMs on the Marshall or no heavy cannon on the Panther IFV….The Marine Corps had a hard time with that too.

Weapons: As far as additional weapons go, I'm actually fairly happy with what we have right now but if we were going to add more then I'd say the classics should really be the only additions BIS focuses on, leave everything else out. All weapons should be the most modern versions available today (2013) and for weapons with different barrel lengths I would only include the most common military standard and compact length barrels. (20in/14in for AR platform, 13/8-10in for AK… so on and so forth.) I might have left a few out so don't go crazy. Here’s the list…

Galil ACE 32 (7.62mm)

AK-12 (7.62mm)

AEK-971 (5.45.39) Or AEK-972 (5.56x45)

M-16/M4

STEYR AUG

FN FAL (modernized)

HK G3 (Modernized)

Rem870/Moss500

M1014

Saiga 12

P90

Glock 18/19 (Or just the 18- Both in 9mm)

PKM

RPK

M60E

Conclusion

Overall I think BIS has done a really really great job. They’ve certainly come a long way from the days of Operation Flashpoint. It seems like they’ve held pretty close to the roots on keeping this project based more on realism than just another flashy shoot’em up. I’m certainly enjoying the idea and the direction they’re taking it, however as with all things, I think it’s important to remember that it’s not over yet, let’s not get complacent and start calling it good enough. There is real potential in Arma 3 to turn it into a game that everyone who enjoys realistic milsim shooters must have and set the global standard for what one should be…though I guess they’ve already done that, but that’s no reason to stop now.

FIGHTER/ATTACK AIRCRAFT: (See transport aircraft note)

US FORCES

Multi-role: F22 Raptor, F-35 JSF, and Super Tomcat 21 (See note at bottom.)

Ground Attack: Let's just say they upgraded the A-10...Thunderbolt 3 :p

OPFOR

Multi-role: Qaher-313 http://aviationintel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/f313.jpg (702 kB) (702 kB) , J-20, and Su-47 Berkut

Ground Attack: Su-39 Frogfoot

INDFOR

Multi-role: T-50 PAK FA, Saab JAS 39, and Eurofighter Typhoon.

Ground Attack: L-39 (already in game)

TOMCAT Note: I haven’t been able to find a good picture but since the F-14 Tomcat is still my favorite plane I wish someone would draw up a stealthy version that still closely resembles the old tomcat. At one time there was talk of a Super Tomcat 21. These look pretty cool though the nose is kind of ugly: AFX-653-3.jpgwip4.jpg

TRANSPORT AIRCRAFT - personally don't see any need in adding the massive heavy lifters, although the C-5 Galaxy is probably my favorite transport (Love the sound of those engines.) I just can't see any need for something that big with any of the map sizes that have been created for Arma 2 or 3. A medium sized aircraft is really all that I would consider necessary, anything larger would just be for fun. Also since it's the future, I think we should use our imaginations a little bit and look past just the plain old fixed wing aircraft.

Now here is the part where I’m torn… I like variety in planes… certain planes do certain things better, that’s why I don’t really like assigning one plane to a specific group. I think they should just be customizable. (I.E. paint jobs and markings) On the other hand I can see having a game where 3 sides clash and giving them distinct aircraft with uneven capabilities could be a small problem for those who just want to have fun and not have to plan for how to best utilize their aircraft given the limitations. (Public Multi-player)

So if we gave them similar capabilities based off the rough draft of limitations I set in this wish list it would be this...

All aircraft can carry 80 troops or 2 tanks but the Quad Rotor and Tilt Wing could only do so if they executed a rolling takeoff and landing, otherwise they could only take off and land completely vertical with 1 tank.

In addition the Quad rotor would be slow and cumbersome in helicopter mode but it would be able to move side to side whereas the Tilt Wing would need to rotate and then move forward or backward. They should all be able to reverse direction. The A400M would be able to take off and land in relatively short distance and would be quite nimble.

NATO FORCES: Quad Tilt Rotor - Something similar to the V-44 http://i44.tinypic.com/zm1vm9.jpg or http://i39.tinypic.com/5fkpl3.png (I’m thinking it needs a tail fin though.) Basically it would be about the size of a C-17GlobeMaster. I think it would be neat if it could open up the nose like a C-5 Galaxy, that way you could pretty much drive up the rear ramp to load up and straight out the front when you land.

OPFOR: Tilt Wing – Something that resembles a wider IL-76 with contra-rotating props like the AN-70 and a tilt wing. Kinda like this… http://i44.tinypic.com/qxjngi.jpg (Sort of looks like an IL-76 already!) Here's a different cool picture. http://i41.tinypic.com/2njhnpe.jpg (I actually like this one too, it looks like a C-17 though.) Here's what the props of an AN-70 look like. http://i44.tinypic.com/245bol5.jpg The engines should be larger though and it should have a turbo fan on the back (needs it for stabilization)…or just leave that bit of realism out completely. If you haven’t seen the XC-142 here you go. :P

INDFOR: A300M - Upgraded to be slightly wider with the ability to accommodate 2 tanks. It should be quick, maneuverable, have excellent braking and the ability to reverse direction on the ground.

To those saying that the A300M and the C-17 are going to be out of service by 2035...doubtful. Look how long we've been using the C-5 and the C-130. The stealth C-130 is a long LONG ways off…and we have to find the money to fund it first. As far as I know, progress is slow at best.

Another thing…Stealth in Arma… Just like in real life, many times on the battlefield it turns out that stealth isn’t really a necessity, air superiority is established relatively quickly and often the largest ground threats come from good old fashioned AA. With that being said I would like to imagine that these planes were designed with hard points along the undersides of the wings. These hard points would be hidden by small flaps that could be opened like landing gear, allowing for the attachment of pylons and the ability to carry external weapons when stealth isn’t needed.

HELICOPTERS:

I've been wanting to see a CH 53E with a coaxial rotor for some time now so that is definitely on the top of my list. I know the 53K is the wider version that is able to fit a HMMWV inside but I think the 53K looks butt ugly. So I say make a coaxial rotor CH 53E and pretend it can fit a light armored truck or car inside.

Next on my list is a helicopter I've been dreaming up for some time.. Take the nose and body of CH 53E, chop off the wheel wells and move them back, Put two smaller wheel wells up front, change the tail section to something like a V-22, and add large sliding cargo doors to both sides.

Basically you could have a high tail clearance for the ramp to load or unload troops or cargo, while at the same time the side doors could be used to load wounded or kick out supplies while the gunners provide cover fire for offloading troops. (Closer to real life application than game play.) I've attached this super sweet drawing I did with MS Paint while I was at work. Now before you ask no I won't draw you super awesome airplane pictures because I'm not doing commissions... I know I know.. but if I did it for you then everyone else would want one too! (See GreenFor heavy lift helo)

Heavy Lift Armament - 3 Medium or Heavy Machine Guns. Load Ability - 35 troops, (Slung)- 1 Tracked APC or 2 wheeled APC or Mraps. Additionally, the heavy lift helos should be able to fit a civilian truck or a small light weight armored car(Strider) inside. But the total allowance shouldn't be changed.

Medium Lift Armament - 2 Medium Machine Guns Load Ability - 15 troops, (slung) 1Mrap or light civ truck.

Light Lift/Attack Armament - (Depends on helicopter) Load Ability - (Slung) 2 ATV's

Attack: Armament (Depends on the helicopter)

BLUEFOR

Heavy Lift - Coaxial CH 53E http://i44.tinypic.com/n5geww.jpg

Medium Lift - UH 80 Ghost Hawk

Light lift/Attack - MD500 little bird/Pawnee

Attack - AH 99 Blackfoot (Comanche)

OPFOR

Heavy Lift - Sikorsky X2HS - http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll31/DemonLordRazgriz/3View.jpg

Medium Lift - KA 60 Orca

Light lift/Attack - MI-48 Kaiman

Attack - KA 58 - http://digitality.comyr.com/Comanche/arc/ka58-2.jpg

GREEN FORCES

Heavy Lift - Hybrid helo http://i39.tinypic.com/2ntysk.png or this…Even has a strider being loaded up.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/mitch_ftw_/scalietti%20project/HTH2-1.jpg

Medium Lift - CH-40 Mohawk (in game) Or NH-90

Light lift/Attack - Lynx

Attack - AW Mangusta or AW Apache

PMC Forces

Heavy Lift - Chinook type : http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/advanced-tandem-heli-0108.jpg

Medium Lift - EC 725 Cougar mkII

Light lift/Attack - UH 1Y Venom

Attack - KA 52 Alligator

Specialty Helicopters:

V-22 Osprey: Armament - 2 Medium or Heavy machine guns (1 ramp, 1 side door limited) Load Ability - 25 troops, (Slung) 2 Mraps or 2civ trucks.

Eurocopter X3: Armament - 2 Medium machine guns (limited movement) Or rockets and guns. Load ability - 1 civilian truck or 2 ATV's.

Advantages and disadvantages: The v-22 would be fast and large, able to carry heavier loads though not with rotors tilted. It would be able to get into more spots, provided you find a clearing big enough.

The X3 would be very small and fast, flying much like a plane. Though it would be hard to slow down and dangerous to land on anything but completely flat ground thanks to the side mounted props.

Both would have to fly much slower with cargo slung and crew served weapons would be limited in their range of movement due to the wings, nacelles, and props.

Another option could be the Osprey type helicopters used in Half-Life Opposing Force. Basically it is an osprey with a rear ramp and 2 large sliding cargo doors on the side. That could also give you and interesting option for fast roping, 1 on each side and 2 off the back ramp.

Edited by Squirrel0311

Even if the A3 suddenly became mainly weather effects simulator, I would still like to have it, so any initiative towards such improvements has my full and expressly spoken support.

Arma 3 uses Truesky, which is a weather simulation technology.

Arma 3 uses Truesky, which is a weather simulation technology.

They have the technology to make a ton of weather effects, like having two layers of clouds, or a lower and higher cloud cover. Why they haven't implemented it in yet? Imbalances in the game probably since release. If that isn't the case, than i don't know why. But they REALLy, SERIOUSLY, need to use Truesky. If not, we must find a way to make it work, maybe create a weather addon, but it would be better to have weather features hardwired into Vanilla.

I'm not going to open a new topic, so I'll just write it down where it's most appropriate; I think.

I have purchased a hard copy of Arma3 and so far I only played it twice, reasons for this are the folowing:

1.Graphical performance is horrible, ok my computer isn't that great, but It could run Arma2 on the max settings without trouble. I need to get a new computer, but I didn't expect it to be this bad.

2.Walking/moving, I got used to the new buttons quite quickly, but moving in this game feels so unrealistic. I was just boiling with anoyance during running. In Arma 2 you didn't have this many stances, but the ones you had felt ok, here it's the opposite, many stances, few feel ok.

3.Mouse movement, it's supposed to be easier then in Arma2, but it just isn't. I can't explain what's wrong with it, it just is. (and yes, I've fiddled aro

und with the settings)

3.extra: the steering ratio with a mouse compared to on foot is completly wrong.

4.The future thing and developers designing their own vehicles. I've always been reserved towards this and while you might design some cool things, I feel most of them are just own creations for the sake of it. (ex. the MI-48)

Edited by Dekster

I'm not going to open a new topic, so I'll just write it down where it's most appropriate; I think.

I have purchased a hard copy of Arma3 and so far I only played it twice, reasons for this are the folowing:

1.Graphical performance is horrible, ok my computer isn't that great, but It could run Arma2 on the max settings without trouble. I need to get a new computer, but I didn't expect it to be this bad.

2.Walking/moving, I got used to the new buttons quite quickly, but moving in this game feels so unrealistic. I was just boiling with anoyance during running. In Arma 2 you didn't have this many stances, but the ones you had felt ok, here it's the opposite, many stances, few feel ok.

3.Mouse movement, it's supposed to be easier then in Arma2, but it just isn't. I can't explain what's wrong with it, it just is. (and yes, I've fiddled aro

und with the settings)

3.extra: the steering ratio with a mouse compared to on foot is completly wrong.

4.The future thing and developers designing their own vehicles. I've always been reserved towards this and while you might design some cool things, I feel most of them are just own creations for the sake of it. (ex. the MI-48)

1 I have 4.6ghz 16gb ram sdd and a recent dx11 card. Arma 3 runs better for me then arma 2 did on the same hardware. 3 Do you have freelook on? Alot of people find it unusable in a3 compared to a2.

4 You are not alone in this, but there have been incremental improvements. Especially with how the weapons handle, there is a differance between the katiba, mx and trg, that just wasnt there in a2. In a2 i didnt care if i used an ak47 or m16. there just wasnt a big differance between weapons of the same caliber. Most of the vehicles in a3 exist in some sahpe or form. Ifritt, hunter, t100,mekerva etc etc. I believe bis dropped a ton of the more futuristic weapons and vehicles to try to bring the game back to something more modern. As there was a shitstorm on the forums with things being to futuristic (rail gun tanks). Thats why there is less content than what there should be at this stage of development.

Can we make this threat a STICKY so that people who would like to discuss their individual wishes will stop mistakenly posting seperate threads?

I've counted 2 threads so far from yesterday that should have been put here.. probably more out there.

I know we already have a wishlist sticky but it's not up for discussion.

I know this has been mentioned a TON...but I figure I'd just throw out my 2 cents.

If I could only get one thing, it would be weapon resting/bipod functionality. It just blows my mind that a game like this doesn't already have it.

I have tried the TMR Addon. It works wonderfully on a fresh mission. But once I do a 'save' and then 'resume', the TMR AddOn no longer works.

We shouldn't have to rely on AddOns for something as basic as weapon resting/bipod functionality anyway...it should be in the base game. (My opinion anyway)

I sure hope they add it.

Keeping my dreams small with this one but how about non story character British CTRG units. Not so much a whole British faction, though I'm certain I'm not the only one who'd love to see that, but just conventional infantry using CTRG camo, gear and voices. Maybe recon style versions as well. Preferably with proper brit weapons but I would settle for them using reskinned Mk 20/F2000's.

I just need a GPS forced to be stuck on the screen even after zooming.

There's no way to make the highest clouds and shadows on the ground? This would give another realism. I think very poor clouds. They should be volumetric. And with shadows cast on the ground. Please Bis do it. :)

They are volumetric.

And shadowcasting clouds were in the game prerelease (in the Alpha I think). However it was removed due to some performance issues related to it I think.

This is a feature request, and belongs in the wish list thread.

Though arma uses Truesky weather simulation technology. Which includes what feature you want.

See here for a ticket requesting for us to have full acess to the Truesky technology in Arma 3.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=13729

Edited by ProGamer

This is a feature request, and belongs in the wish list thread.

Though arma uses Truesky weather simulation technology. Which includes what feature you want.

See here for a ticket requesting for us to have full acess to the Truesky technology in Arma 3.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=13729

This is a dream! More perfect. How do I vote?

This is a dream! More perfect.

Aircraft sim players dream of having clouds like Arma 3. The videos music is so epic.

We have like 50 scripting commands in game to use it as well. Though we still lack commands for snow, and cloud shadows, probably because they might be highly WIP.

Here are all the known commands: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162909-Secret-SimulWeather-commands though keep on mind they are highly WIP as the developers are still working at combinding TrueSky and RV4.

BIS needs to bring beta clouds back. They look a lot more natural when it comes to forms and can receive coloration from a sun.

Current clouds look like a random noise at anything below '50'

Case in point:

clouds from beta:

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/arma3_beta_pantherapc_4.jpg

current clouds:

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/631143_20130304_screen017_4.jpg

Note the coloring and long smooth forms on the first screenshot. Unfortunately now clouds stay white almost always, even in the evening where they should be pink-ish.

Beta clouds were enabled on a dev branch for a short while around the time 'supports' showcase was added. In fact Supports showcase even has them on its in-game screenshot.

BIS needs to bring beta clouds back. They look a lot more natural when it comes to forms and can receive coloration from a sun.

Case in point:

clouds from beta:

current clouds:

Note the coloring and long smooth forms on the first screenshot. Unfortunately now clouds stay white almost always, even in the evening where they should be pink-ish.

Beta clouds were enabled on a dev branch for a short while around the time 'supports' showcase was added. In fact Supports showcase even has them on its in-game screenshot.

+1

Could've sworn they used to look better. Recently they started becoming eye-sores and very un-natural.

Case in point:

clouds from beta:

current clouds:

pluss one...

What thinking that exact thing the other day... I swear the dev process on Arma 3 is in Reverse...