Maio

Arma 3: Community wishes & ideas- DISCUSSION

Well to be honest, they acted pretty stupid once the fighting started!

Not totally, the reason why they started moving was because the enemy was a bit too big to just shoot maybe three or four times. If it were just humans in the room with AK47's, do you think they would had started to strafe around or would they had neutralized the target first? The big difference with ArmA and Cryengine 3 or Unreal Engine 3 is that ArmA has left its AI and Communication behind. If you ask me, if it were AI in ArmA 2 moving into those rooms... they wouldn't be stacked up, nor would they had started to evade the huge 'alien' threat in the room. They would had sat mindlessly in a single spot or gone prone... I rest my case.

But as said, if ArmA 3's AI and AI Communication skills were more realistic then the combat and the close quarters combat wouldn't feel plastic. As comment to this issue, ArmA's Animation sequences are very small. Most games of today hold 3,000 or more animations just for movement with at least 50 Frames or more... A game from early 2000 had good looking animations but bad AI. The AI were senseless when going into rooms with enemies but it was still good looking. I am just saying, I would rather see a 'real' improvement in ArmA 3 or I won't be buying it.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

Care to elaborate ?

The video I just sent you is proof enough, in ArmA 2 the AI would just run in or walk in mindlessly. Clearly that isn't authentic compared to this, the communication skills of the AI isn't either. BUT, part of the AI's failure is just animation based. The AI on the video can make fast turns as to where in ArmA 2 or ArmA 3 the AI isn't trained to make sharp turns or fast paced movement. In ArmA if you move faster than four feet per second you're assumably running, but in reality people can do that in close quarters. SMK Animations was the closest thing to realistic in ArmA 2 but the AI wasn't able to use the animations properly.

We'd all like to see ArmA's AI react better in close quarters but unless you're privy to more information about that video I think you might be reading too much into it. The comments say "Just showing what can be done with the AI through the flow-graph" which says to me the AI have been scripted to deal with this encounter, this physical layout, this number of friendlies and likely enemies. Drop the same four in Brecourt Manor without 'flowgraphing' them for the new scenario and they'd probably make like lamp posts. In that respect we're then once again comparing ArmA's autonomous AI with a scripted facsimile.

---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 ----------

What I would like to know though is why my 2nd, 3rd and 4th cores aren't running hot with AI decision making threads? The positional updates required to feed those threads should be fairly trivial in terms of cross thread data transfer and the main thread can just seek an update 'what should this unit do next' as and when it needs to. Ideally the frequency of update for a given unit should be linked to its proximity to enemies.

perhaps it was mentioned here before...

I want to be able to shoot from vehicles position, like... get out from some little windows of the LAV and shoot, shoot from an LB, shot from a BH, shot from a boat, humvee windows, etc, etc

@DeclaredEvol I'm going to preface this with I agree BIS does need to work on close quarters AI. But to be fair, go back and watch the video again. In the first 5 seconds the AI runs right into the corner. I was looking at the video discussion - the user made it (not devs), with the CryTech Flow Graph http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC2/Flow+Graph+Editor. This is basically a Finite State Machine, which Arma already has built it and you can edit. So, you can make the each same thing in Arma now, given the time and effort.

Sadly, the Arma FSM isn't documented as well as Crytech's. :(

Well, I deleted my original paragraph. I think I want to say that the game may be underwork, but the videos I've seen so far are a bit too much like ArmA 2 but just modified into another and less moddable video game. I don't know what goes on behind the walls of BI, but so far... if the game is being released this summer. I find it a bit odd for them to complete that many tasks off hand and to sincerely improve from the videos released previously. I saw gameplay of the AI under combat, and I had to choke my self onto the forums. I'm sorry if any of this offends you, I know Bohemia Interactive works hard for their very tight community. But I just want to point out things I see probably not growing in the next game. They either don't have enough time, workers, or their abilities are a bit strict.

I was hoping to see what most games like BF3 have, such as nice light shafts\coronas and lense flare... gamma and bloom effects... more vibrant and colorful post processing... better particle systems... greater map detail (It looks great!)... greater performance (Runs good so far)... physics (thanks much)... better sounds (not likely)... better animations and reactions or ai voice communication... possibly voice recognition for players to ai... Ambient Occlusion (HBAO, Really nice compared to SSAO)... and far better physics and destruction.

I wish all to BI for making a game that will satisfy their customers, and expand the community greatly. The whole Isreali and Iranian war conflict is a modern cold-war. And technically, ever before we (USA) and others went to Afghanistan and Iraq. I find it weird how Battlefield 3 and now even ArmA 3 are using real events and mixing them with fiction stories to make video games. It is interesting, but in some ways this could mean a huge WW3.

Edited by DeclaredEvol

Well, I deleted my original paragraph. I think I want to say that the game may be underwork, but the videos I've seen so far are a bit too much like ArmA 2 but just modified into another and less moddable video game. I don't know what goes on behind the walls of BI, but so far... if the game is being released this summer. I find it a bit odd for them to complete that many tasks off hand and to sincerely improve from the videos released previously. I saw gameplay of the AI under combat, and I had to choke my self onto the forums. I'm sorry if any of this offends you, I know Bohemia Interactive works hard for their very tight community. But I just want to point out things I see probably not growing in the next game. They either don't have enough time, workers, or their abilities are a bit strict.

I was hoping to see what most games like BF3 have, such as nice light shafts\coronas and lense flare... gamma and bloom effects... more vibrant and colorful post processing... better particle systems... greater map detail (It looks great!)... greater performance (Runs good so far)... physics (thanks much)... better sounds (not likely)... better animations and reactions or ai voice communication... possibly voice recognition for players to ai... Ambient Occlusion (HBAO, Really nice compared to SSAO)... and far better physics and destruction.

I wish all to BI for making a game that will satisfy their customers, and expand the community greatly. The whole Isreali and Iranian war conflict is a modern cold-war. And technically, ever before we (USA) and others went to Afghanistan and Iraq. I find it weird how Battlefield 3 and now even ArmA 3 are using real events and mixing them with fiction stories to make video games. It is interesting, but in some ways this could mean a huge WW3.

I don't know where to begin with, but in fact i don't have much time for it, apart from pointing that this game won't be released this summer, that we don't know how the animations system will look like, nor what the AI will be, and that ArmA2 has already so much more possibilities than BF3 has. Physics will be improved, i don't care about other graphical enhancements, apart from lighting system. True that CQB/in house combat was a big let down since then though.

Edited by ProfTournesol

I have one wish for Arma 3

More detailed UK special forces units (specifically SAS)

SAS units wearing the official SAS beret

Perhaps in the unit selection list the different factions can be represented by their specific military logos.

The SAS being the winged excalibur

But mostly, as I already said, I would really like to see the logo of the SAS incorporated on in-game play on SAS unit's uniforms

Just to make it a bit more believing when playing that you are actually playing as an SAS spec op

Do the SAS really wear their berets on ops? Isn't that just used for more formal occasions? And is the SAS even going to be in Arma 3?

Yip I agree, the SAS beret is more for formal occassions..

But it's not entirely made-up, back in the day the SAS originals regularly wore their berets in the field.

And I could have sworn that I saw Ultimate Survival star Bear Crylls (former SAS soldier) wore his beret also in the field..

I read that in Arma 3 the player will be able to modify his character's uniform, so I was hoping that the SAS beret will be an option for the SAS outfit.

I was hoping that british forces (specifically spec op forces) will be in Arma 3

If not, then my 2nd wish for Arma 3 will be; I wish that there will be Britsh forces - specifically spec op forces - in Arma 3

Edited by Batmansfear

Better let the player choose (and suffer) from his choice using different stuff he can wear and carry.

I was hoping that british forces (specifically spec op forces) will be in Arma 3

If not, then my 2nd wish for Arma 3 will be; I wish that there will be Britsh forces - specifically spec op forces - in Arma 3

I would rather that BIS spend their time on getting the mechanics and basics of the game right. There will certainly be tons of mods made for specific insignia and uniforms. There are already more than enough factions included.

Pure, something tells me that we'll be seeing the Super Hind make it's way into ArmA 3 :) It's to good of an asset to be left out.

Edited by Maio
Rice milk with berry jam and lemon

I hear some voice talking as well :) He's having an argument with this lad tough but I think I can also hear a big bunch of other guys participating :D

It is indeed a beautiful piece!

Mil Mi-42 or Kamov V100 or further developments of them (by BIS) would fit better into A3. The Superhind G looks a bit too old beside the other A3 hitech stuff. ;)

Who knows maybe BIS devs will create a new AwesomeHind only for A3?

Well, I just saw that the Hind, including the Super Hind, is coming for Take on Helicopters next month, so the BIS helicopter future looks bright. :yay:

it would be pretty interesting to see the next ACE include a lot of features from Take On Helicopters! Or even the next Mando Missile..

Hey all I just had an idea for the mod tools... In o2 it would make things so much easier if there was a blueprint layer! Its would make things simple .. it could just be jpg or bmp or whatever you want to use It would just load up as a backround layer in all 3 windows you can specify whereabouts in each view it is placed and lock it...

It would make set up for modding hundreds of times easier... You wouldnt have to mess about with your 3 plan pics to get them to the right amount of pixels or converting them... You wouldnt have to mess about getting the blueprints the same size in each view (they would just be the same scale in each view)

Anyone else agree?

Hey all I just had an idea for the mod tools... In o2 it would make things so much easier if there was a blueprint layer! Its would make things simple .. it could just be jpg or bmp or whatever you want to use It would just load up as a backround layer in all 3 windows you can specify whereabouts in each view it is placed and lock it...

It would make set up for modding hundreds of times easier... You wouldnt have to mess about with your 3 plan pics to get them to the right amount of pixels or converting them... You wouldnt have to mess about getting the blueprints the same size in each view (they would just be the same scale in each view)

Anyone else agree?

The bolded part is sort of wrong. Modo has this features (backdrop items). Still, you need to be sure the items are the same size and they fit (even if you don't need to set the aspect ratio of the plane correct).

I would much rather have BIS release plugs that would allow to get content in game directly from the industry's standards (max/maya/blender) instead of updating the ageing and unintuitive O2...What i mean is setting up anims, configs and alike, all from the said software rather than having to import it into O2 to finish it off (even when using SA plug for instance).

The bolded part is sort of wrong. Modo has this features (backdrop items). Still, you need to be sure the items are the same size and they fit (even if you don't need to set the aspect ratio of the plane correct).

I would much rather have BIS release plugs that would allow to get content in game directly from the industry's standards (max/maya/blender) instead of updating the ageing and unintuitive O2...What i mean is setting up anims, configs and alike, all from the said software rather than having to import it into O2 to finish it off (even when using SA plug for instance).

This would be great, especially since gear is separated now.

Some of us cannot afford max, maya or whatever else. Blender is just outright unintuitive. O2 is by far the easiest, for me at least.

Some of us cannot afford max, maya or whatever else. Blender is just outright unintuitive. O2 is by far the easiest, for me at least.

each with it's own i guess.

If you find blender unintuitive (it is to some degree), you'll find max and maya just as complex and unfriendly for a newcomer. Maybe it is because O2, which you seem to be used to is doing stuff completely different (vertex based software rather than polygon based). That said, O2 is missing a LOT of the tools for modelling, but i guess at the time it was released back in the day, it was all fine for the OFP models. It isn't for A2 and the sequels, especially if one wants the addons to have the same quality as BIS ones...

anyhow, this is in the discussion thread, and while this would be a huge plus for me, i am pretty sure it won't happen...

Wondering if you mean getting rid of O2 all together or just having plugins that feed into O2. I dont see much point in developing O2 much further (unless to is to reinstate 'make convex', oh how I miss that function). As leopatams blender plugin works very well and I'm quite liking the way blender does things. I'll never go back to using O2 for modeling (just that kind of horse I supose), but I do still find the step of going through o2 kind of usefull, it purges alll the peripheral stuff and lets you check your work through the ArmA engine eyes.