Maio

Arma 3: Community wishes & ideas- DISCUSSION

The HMS is already in game, no reason to purchase anything more. I get what your saying though, but it's like a whole lot of other things. There have been footage of say, the T-100 with integrated Rail Gun Cannon, but that's not in game now is it. BIS has scrapped a ton of things, for certain reasons, and i suppose that the HMS has always been a Prop, and nothing more. Or perhaps they created the HMS to test out controls that are now currently in the SDV. But none the less, it wasn't even added in game till later after full release, as just a prop. It's cool for background missions, but there's not much that can do now if they were to just "bring it to life" so sto speak. No fire controls systems, camera's, interior, it's just a blob basically, with a really nice texture. Trust me, we don't need a sub this big as bad as we need medium surface boats for many other reasons, including attack, support, logistics, fast interdiction and so on. Believe me, we've brought up the Submarine HMS plenty of times, even during Alpha/Beta, and after release. They did finally release it, but as a prop, and i can only assume BIS will not make the HMS a vehicle that's playable. And i see why that's reasonable... They'd have to add nukes.

I should also mention that if memory serves me correctly but didn't an Arma 3 trailer video or image feature HMS Proteus with divers? That could be contrived as false advertising as the image/video gave you the impression that Arma featured the submarine, when all it realistically is is a cut-scene prop.
Which, not coincidentally, is how it was depicted in said trailer footage/stills... it really was a cutscene prop even in the trailer, anyone who took it as a sign of a driveable submarine was really engaging in wishful thinking (that means you).
There will be some who aren't interested in subs, but there will also be those who are and are willing to pay for the DLC which is in BIS' interest, so I cannot see why BIS hasn't grasped the opportunity of developing HMS Proteus and destroyers with both hands. Even players who aren't interested in subs will buy the DLC because of wanting the whole package thing and not wanting to be excluded from parts of missions.
Most likely answer: they figured that there's not enough willing to pay for the DLC to make back the money spent on developing it.

Incidental item: I vaguely recall someone saying that the submarineX simulation in Arma 3 is pretty much designed around the SDV or at least for that size rather than for a big submarine; for comparison, the Collins-class in VBS2 (and presumably still in VBS3) uses the ship (non-PhysX) simulation class.

Edited by Chortles

Would be good, at least, to have it in static objects, and not bring forced to script to make it appears.

Because it's out of game's scope.

Why isn't ASSET_NAME already playable with controls similar to SIMULATOR_NAME?
I think I should implement some kind of filter that will prevent user from creating a thread if this or similar sentence can be found in op-post.

Incidental item: I vaguely recall someone saying that the submarineX simulation in Arma 3 is pretty much designed around the SDV or at least for that size rather than for a big submarine; for comparison, the Collins-class in VBS2 (and presumably still in VBS3) uses the ship (non-PhysX) simulation class.[/font]

Yeah Mankyle made a Collins class demonstrator, which, even for all his abilities, wouldn't dive properly. Seems submarineX is indeed limited to SDV-sized vessels. Even looking at how the SDV performs, you'll notice it doesn't pitch up or down at all. It just sinks or floats up and down.

The underwater element of game play in Arma 3 hasn't had much love. Can't even place satchel charges/mines.

You want tab lock cruise missiles and torpedoes that much?

Yea part of the reason why I don't see naval combat being any fun in arma 3, unless they completely remove the tab lock system and add something like TV guided missiles or something.

The whole magic radar needs to go. Give us a radar with a limited FOV with an actual screen in the cockpit, not a HUD element. That way you actually have to slew the radar around (and be aware of people under the radar or behind you) and lock on to people (preferably even with a simple representation of IFF) instead of spamming R + M1 all day.

That said, a large submarine currently has no place in ArmA 3. The only subs we need are recon subs, which we have. The larger subs are either carrying nuclear warheads (which we don't need at all) or are designed to silently attack large vessels (which we don't have at all). Let's see how much the expansion does about that lack of naval assets though.

Are there any plans for HMS Proteus? I mean, why isn't it already playable with controls similar to 'Silent Hunter?' It would sell premium DLC for sure.... add a destroyer and the DLC will sell like hotcakes! BIS do you even realise you're sitting on a potential goldmine here! Who knows, maybe they'll add it in an expansion :pray:

It's a morale sapper when you're a mission maker and you're looking at such useless eye candy. So much potential.

BI is on the retarded side, and needs you to tell them what to focus on. Because making a silent hunter game within another game is just easy peasy, isn't it?

BI is on the retarded side, and needs you to tell them what to focus on. Because making a silent hunter game within another game is just easy peasy, isn't it?

Wait in line! We already asked for DCS in arma, then Steel Beasts, then Spintires, then Euro Truck Simulator 2, then you can have your Silent Hunter! :P

Wait in line! We already asked for DCS in arma, then Steel Beasts, then Spintires, then Euro Truck Simulator 2, then you can have your Silent Hunter! :P

having patience is not the strong suite of this particular community...especially for the ones that have no idea what it takes...

I don't get what you're saying? "making a silent hunter game within a game"? I wasn't saying that and neither would it be if you made the sub playable. It is after all just another potential vehicle similar to the SDV but of course on a much greater scale. Would adding controls and modelling an interior etc. be creating a new game? I think not. It's not as if you'd have to create another engine. If it sells DLC it pays for its development so I don't see the problem. BIS gets financial income to fund development and the consumer gets content. The math seems easy enough to me.

People have the right to be sceptical, but if there's a market for DLC content it's going to prove lucrative for BIS so I see no reason to why BIS wouldn't develop a naval fleet for Arma. Like I said warfare is fought at land sea and air so why not?

I was thinking of getting this game, and since there is no general Q&A (Can't post new threads yet) I felt like this was the closest thing to getting an answer from the community itself. Is a mic needed to enjoy myself in Multiplayer? I know many servers are locked unless you have a mic, and since I don't have one/don't have spare money atm, are the unlocked servers usually OK with people who don't have mics?

1. New interaction menu.

2. Walkable ships (sea operations with pirates and a lot of stuff come in mind.) make the sea and sea vehicles more usefull to infantry combat. I don't mean having submarines and frigates, those wouldn't add any gameplay value anyway.

3. Official 3d edior with more opions and a more windows-like interface. Place AI and objects where u want with easier custom textures and custom gear etc all these choices are available right now. Just make em more userfriendly

4. Help the AI. A big proportion of the community plays custom-made coop missions. Help them. You have all tehse functions and scripts for the AI behaviour. Integrate themin game via an easy GUI.

Edited by Gamermanas

An official 3D editor is on the way, no ETA, and no mention of a new interaction menu or walkable ships, and "help the AI" is too broad (especially when there's far too many variables in "custom-made coop​" for Bohemia to be able to help every case thereof).

Camo Variants of Bandanas i.e.:

- MTP Camo Bandana

- AAF Digi Camo Bandana

- Hex Camo Bandana

- Hex (Urban) Camo Bandana

- CTRG Camo Bandana

- Woodland Camo Bandana

Camo Variants of Bandanas i.e.:

- MTP Camo Bandana

- AAF Digi Camo Bandana

- Hex Camo Bandana

- Hex (Urban) Camo Bandana

- CTRG Camo Bandana

- Woodland Camo Bandana

MTP and Woodland bandanas are already in game.

The constant grunt and groan sound when injured is annoying, in the sense that it's too repetitive, even after I heal myself, I would prefer some visual representation rather than listening to the same sound file loop for infinity, something like keeping the red blood effect when hit or variation of it on screen until healed properly.

I've tried to rise this issue many times, and will continue to do so.

Arma still, despite so many years, have HORRIBLE CQB expirience. And it will remain as such until next problems will be resolved:

1) Realistic grenade handling in narrow and tightly packed environment. Soldiers DO NOT step into doorways or dance around a window to get in a perfect position for 10 seconds, then pray to God for another 10, and only to get killed by their own bouncing grenade (but they actually will be disintegrated by enemy troops waiting 5 meters from them in the room to which this door leads long before that happens). This just don't happen, almost never like that. Soldiers just reach their hand and toss a grenade with one quick and 100% accurate throw into the doorway. There is only 0,01% possibility you can screw up such kind of action, and in Arma this turns into some kind of circus show with gimmicks and acrobatics. This is total disgrace for the game that calls itself a combat simulator.

How it HAS TO BE implemented:

You simply stop BESIDE a doorway or window (NOT in front of it!), choose an action from menu, select a doorway or window as an object with mouse (or autoselect triggers, choosing the opening closest to you) and grenade is automagically fly through this hole with almost 99% precision (like it would almost always happened in real life; you can add some small probability to fumble this throw, if you want)

2) Intuitive and really functional interaction with covers and obstacles. Stance system is a huge improvement, but it's only a half of the way. The game needs the system similar to what Smookie created for Arma 2, which would have allowed to easily (by pressing a one hotkey) take positions behind some cover or a corner, quickly pop-up from behind it to place a couple of shots, and quickly get behind it again. Current animations falls shorts of what they should provide in higly dynamic and deadly CQB fights.

3) Last, but not least. This is, unlike previous two, is a long-term goal. CQB is tiied very tightly to cover and fortification. So for proper simulation the game needs ability to modify structures and objects during the course of the mission. So, for example, a platoon overtaking a fortified village should be able to breach walls of fortified houses (or use a grenade launcher to destroy the force defending the room without even entering it, or seeing the targets); the houses' door should be able to enter a "jammed" state, and opposing force should be able either to demolish them, or break them by using brute force; map designer should be able to add brick walls inside the buildings with tiny embrasures in them, use furniture to create an improvised cover and blocking passages through the rooms, effectively turning house into the raging hell for those daring to storm it. This is a real challenge to implement, but at least it should be kept in sight for the future.

Edited by porko

2) Intuitive and really functional interaction with covers and obstacles.

I think the default movements and stances (inlcuding leaning and peeking) are just fine. Don't want see a cover system in Arma that puts your character magically into the right position. Furthermore RL operators keep some distance to their cover whenever possible so they can look and shoot around it with minimal exposure:

I think the default movements and stances (inlcuding leaning and peeking) are just fine. Don't want see a cover system in Arma that puts your character magically into the right position. Furthermore RL operators keep some distance to their cover whenever possible so they can look and shoot around it with minimal exposure:

No, not in CQB situations. In CQB you stick to your teammates and to the walls or any available cover

So in such environments, where a fraction of the second is what separates your from the afterlife, you just can't afford any clumsiness in controls you can when your potential foe is 50-1000m away. And famous "dancing" around a corner to find a proper position, that can be seen in a lot of "tactical" shooters, which is clumsy even in non-CQB situations, in CQB becomes endless source of frustration and cause of untimely demise. You can't afford the approach "make a little step (and hope it will be little enough, because if you step too far you will be dead before you can react), check if you are in proper position, if not, make another little step" in such conditions. And that is not how IRL you body works. IRL you just do a complex but intuitive movement and cautiosly look around the corner with just one eye, in half of a second (you don't think about it like "lets stick out my head out of the corner for 1 inch, ok we are ok, lets stick out it for another inch"), you just do, such basic moves have to be triggered by pressing one key, look how nicely it was done in Smookie mod below; then you, again, in one complex, but intuitive movement, and quite quick, lean from behind of it with your weapon ready, place a couple of shots and spring back behind a cover.

Here how it was done in Smookie mode, and how it is has to be done, actually:

1:56 - you are sticking to the wall, very neatly and without any hassles and rediculous "dancing" forth and back, in one precise move lean from behind a corner to place a couple of shots. You also can throw a grenade around the corner and even fire blindly by protruding tour arm out with a weapon. One man did something the whole company couldn't for many years. It's a real shame.

The scripting nature of such approach will remove all possibilities for input error, coming from clumsy, not granular enough controls (keyboard), and make it quick enough by removing any need to pre-position yourself in a very specific spot to stick out from behind a cover no more than the situation absolutely requires, not an inch more, which is crucial when you find yourself in CQB.

Edited by porko
  • Like 1

I still disagree with you. The right distance to cover gives you a proper field of view while minimizing your own exposure. Futhermore in CQB it prevents that enemies directly behind the corner grab your weapon or stab you with a knife. The "famous dancing around a corner" you quoted happens exactly because people want to hug cover and then need to step out to actually see anything. If they'd keep proper distance, they wouldn't need to dance.

Anyway even if your suggestions gets implemented (and works better then the rest-weapon/bipod feature...), CQB in Arma would still be clumsy. For example you'd still miss physical contact with your teammates. That said I highly support your idea of grenade-throwing into openings, and mb even the blind-fire-around-a-corner feature.

Btw the different stances in SMK (and even vanilla Arma3) intorduce another problem which is currently gently ignored: weapon cant. If you tilt your weapon, your point of impact changes for distant targets.

maybe we can shift the attention now to the next important community driven upgrade request?

Arma 3 support for tracked amphibious vehicles!

so much stuff in the waiting at RHS and the Community Upgrade Project etc that just cant be used because no support for floating tanks:

11796223_1037445086268484_2835437324530132575_n.jpg?oh=5de6c323cd2e8178d7bcd8041abfaa61&oe=56581BAD

image source: RHS Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/redhammerstudios/photos/a.585221418157522.1073741825.478330008846664/1037445086268484/?type=1&theater

vote for this tracker:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=19911

maybe we can shift the attention now to the next important community driven upgrade request?

Arma 3 support for tracked amphibious vehicles!

so much stuff in the waiting at RHS and the Community Upgrade Project etc that just cant be used because no support for floating tanks:

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11796223_1037445086268484_2835437324530132575_n.jpg?oh=5de6c323cd2e8178d7bcd8041abfaa61&oe=56581BAD

image source: RHS Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/redhammerstudios/photos/a.585221418157522.1073741825.478330008846664/1037445086268484/?type=1&theater

vote for this tracker:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=19911

Upvoted!

Thread Title - Bohemia Interactive please comment on whats hindering you to introduce Ponds to Arma3

There's already a ticket on the matter, no need to switch topic, or create a new thread. I do reckon that BIS plan on inland water, as Tanoa, which is based on Fiji, should have inland water. Fiji's rain forests have streams, and some waterfalls. As such a rain forest, and jungle is a very damp, and wet environment. To not have inland water would be... unsatisfactory really. Plus theirs hope, ponds that use to not work are now working. This could mean future incorporation.

I do reckon that BIS plan on inland water, as Tanoa, which is based on Fiji, should have inland water. Fiji's rain forests have streams, and some waterfalls.

Cool Story Bro, maybe they will also fix fps problems with expansion and find cure on AIDS.

sorry for offtopic btw.