Maio

Arma 3: Community wishes & ideas- DISCUSSION

@ DarkSideSixOfficial: mrflay came up with one almost two years ago, though it hasn't been updated on Armaholic since right before the game launch.

i know, that's the video example for that mod. It works surprisingly well. Animations are great, just need to be a little less... instant. But otherwise, it's perfection. I could imagine a BIS one made very very clean, fluent, and well. Would also provide something else to do in Arma as a hobby. If i get bored of commanding a group of players ot flying or tanking, i could just open editor, put down a few targets, and do some classic Archery with ArmA 3's amazing PhysX and stuff. idk. Just a suggestion. Would be cool.

Naval attacks from island to island would be pretty much MORE interesting :D

Definitely agreed. This could add an all new dynamic to the game similar to a modern military version of Battlefront.

Naval attacks from island to island would be pretty much MORE interesting :D
Definitely agreed. This could add an all new dynamic to the game similar to a modern military version of Battlefront.
The engine does support map sizes above and beyond what BI has provided in Arma, as proven by Tinter's port of South Asia from Take on Helicopters, so a single two-islands-or-coastlines-with-water-in-between terrain should be doable.

The engine does support map sizes above and beyond what BI has provided in Arma, as proven by Tinter's port of South Asia from Take on Helicopters, so a single two-islands-or-coastlines-with-water-in-between terrain should be doable.

Speaking of mainland with water, I have a feeling BIS may do mainland with nice characteristics, and then many islands off the coast of it like an archipelago.

Speaking of mainland with water, I have a feeling BIS may do mainland with nice characteristics, and then many islands off the coast of it like an archipelago.
Alternately, think Sahrani/United Sahrani minus the land bridge or Bystrica were the river both further north and wider for a BI-made basis -- Bystrica's river (as depicted in AiA TP) can even be crossed from end to end without stopping, taking ~20 minutes when I had an armed Speedboat going east to west with at least half of that time at top speed (63-64 km/h) and its sole bridge is found in the west and elevated enough that a Speedboat can pass underneath, unlike the two bridges of Baranow from Iron Front: Liberation 1944.

what we had in ArmA2 -> red text in the console when server or admin posted something...

what we have in ArmA3 -> plain white text for everything also when server or admin post something

what we want in ArmA3 -> colored text in the console for server/admin messages to get the attention of the players...

otherwise no one is reading all this stuff when they play... we can see this happen all the time on our servers...

what we had in ArmA2 -> red text in the console when server or admin posted something...

what we have in ArmA3 -> plain white text for everything also when server or admin post something

what we want in ArmA3 -> colored text in the console for server/admin messages to get the attention of the players...

otherwise no one is reading all this stuff when they play... we can see this happen all the time on our servers...

Please Add it!

Can use hints and notifications as well.

The chat box is not useful in high-traffic multiplayer due to the BattlEye vomit spamming it. Hints are much more noticeable to the players and I would say the best method for admins to send messages to all (or specific) players.

As for constructive wishes and ideas,

Females.

Have been working on developing some realistic scenario content with high simulation quality, and it hit me that it all seems ridiculous with an all-male population.

Most conflicts today include civilian population, with an almost 9:1 ratio of civilians:combatants. Why we only have half the civilian population? How I can simulate 'Old Aunt Mary down the lane' or 'Nurse Kelly' with a 'C_man_1'? I had intended some female voice acting but it is ridiculous to hear a female voice from a male.

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

yeah if the rcon messages from the server or rcon tool are posted to a hint or to a dynamictext in the middle of the screen it would be fine as well...

but this is nothing we can do on our own... this has to be implemented by the BIS guys...

I have an issue with you as a game publisher specifically Arma 3. As a user I understand the need for more content and features as a buisness you have to make money got it. However, could you guys go back and fix the following things. #1 Develop strong anti scripting/hacking capabilities for server hosts. We have to pay out of pocket to keep these things running ourselves (including VON such as TS3 etc.) it would be nice to immediately be informed as an administrator/player when a pesky (I assume 5 Year old) logs onto server and wreaks havoc from an open ended in game script attack (simple fix auto kick/ban unauthorized Zues like action use from server editor options). If it's not written into that particular admins or users authorization to do so have Arma automatically remove them from server or whatever the server host decided to do in Editor.

#2 the helicopter DLC (specifically the Taru) was buggy before the last pre Marksman DLC patch in preparation for Actual (Marksman) DLC and had an anti torque bug associated with it's use. The Patch only made it nearly impossible to fly in Regular Flight model Marksman DLC greatly increased it's frequency. That is 50% of your helicopter DLC product. :/

#3 make a useable Side chat VON option in game or include in above recommended admin/editor options the ability to disable individual (Not Global) channel and player VON capability. Tools to prevent 1 person wantonly disrupting the gameplay of everyone else.

#4 Make all the tools (grey hawks) available to UAV operators functional. (NOT the buggy mess that blows up as soon as you begin to issue them commands providing fireworks displays to those in vicinity of their spawn perhaps make vehicles within a certain distance of spawn 5M or so immune to damage)

#5 it's a military simulation every time I went out on a mission (in Actual Real Life) someone checked my earplugs so that the first time I was exposed to an explosion/gunfire I didn't immediately start bleeding out of that sensitive orifice. Make ear plug use game wide scrolling type option regardless of location or mission and editable volume levels (at least somewhat customizable) in game configure options for that tool. (IE Earplugs in 90% reduction in vehicle and music volume leaving VON levels adjustable and reducing game impact from explosion/gunfire: Earplugs out regular listening levels increased effect from explosions even possibly adding tinnitus in ears for at least a few seconds interrupting regular sound effects).

#6 give multiplayer server creators powerful editing tools. Such as being able to remove tracer rounds from helicopter Gatling cannons (which now cause client side graphical lag regardless of location server wide). Specific vehicle respawn script writer tools that could control such things as ammo type, inventory, and spawn rate selection. Add things like friendly player vicinity detection to this tool (which cause vehicles have no players within 300M 1to respawn automatically returning it for use to base for later use without the need to search for it).

#7 Also add editor ability of players to see the maps data they have copied from servers played on and edit them without the need to download possibly virus ridden packaging tools. Mod authors to could make some of those files specifics read only/hidden (so things like custom mods and Zues authorized players list can not be modified or read both keeping that hard work of authors safe and scripters at bay as well as protecting the Client/Steam Id's of admins safe)

Lastly idea for next feature, if you have advanced flight model why not advanced bullet physics that at least make the wind effects possible (optional of course in game configuration client side so not to be over whelming)

Sorry for the length just got a lot to say thanks.

P.S. Positively best content to date BIPODS YEA!!!!! Can finally shoot stuff.

The bit on "advanced bullet physics" insofar as wind deflection was answered in an OPREP; TL;DR: performance was a problem, and they weren't 100% about how/to what degree to simulate it, so it was basically deemed "not going to be done in time for 8 April 2015" (when the Marksmen DLC would arrive).

I think if would be awesome if you could hold a community tournament every now and then. something with different category's and size ranges. just because arma is all about the community's. and id like to see what happens when we compete. im not saying pvp but maybe you judge the groups on the performance on completing a mission. you could have platoon ops all the way down to the squad. ether way it would be cool. also-side note it would be cool if integrated the squad xml system into the game so it wasn't so complicated. and other in game tools to help organize, would be awesome.

Some of these wishes might not respect my shared wish for BIS' continued support with fixing things in the game and optimizing, but in a perfect world, I'd like to see at least some of these come true:

• Network Optimization: Continue optimizing ArmA 3's network performance and make it a primary focus, after the Expansion (Or final DLC if there are more), for the next two or more years.
  • Building Interior Lighting: Fix/improve lighting and shadows for interiors of buildings so that light sources do not go through walls.
  • AI Room Clearing: Extend AI infantry's capability in CQB and design them to be able to intelligibly breach/clear buildings as a team, rather than as soloists on rare occasions.
  • MP AI Optimization: Figure out how to "fix" the server desync / frame stuttering when AI units are spawned (Command to spawn AI with fully disabled features immediately, which gradually re-enable?)
  • User-Friendly Tools: Make modding tools user-friendly, with easy setup, simple interfaces, and less bugs
  • Documentation: Provide documentation for everything in ArmA 3! Currently, a lot of scripting commands have short vague descriptions or none at all.
  • ALICE: Introduce a hardcoded module or something that enables immersive civilian ambiance, maybe like ALICE/SILVIE from A2? ;)

I wish for all sorts of stuff and more. These are some of the major ones, for me.

Some of these wishes might not respect my shared wish for BIS' continued support with fixing things in the game and optimizing, but in a perfect world, I'd like to see at least some of these come true:

• Network Optimization: Continue optimizing ArmA 3's network performance and make it a primary focus, after the Expansion (Or final DLC if there are more), for the next two or more years.
  • Building Interior Lighting: Fix/improve lighting and shadows for interiors of buildings so that light sources do not go through walls.
  • AI Room Clearing: Extend AI infantry's capability in CQB and design them to be able to intelligibly breach/clear buildings as a team, rather than as soloists on rare occasions.
  • MP AI Optimization: Figure out how to "fix" the server desync / frame stuttering when AI units are spawned (Command to spawn AI with fully disabled features immediately, which gradually re-enable?)
  • User-Friendly Tools: Make modding tools user-friendly, with easy setup, simple interfaces, and less bugs
  • Documentation: Provide documentation for everything in ArmA 3! Currently, a lot of scripting commands have short vague descriptions or none at all.
  • ALICE: Introduce a hardcoded module or something that enables immersive civilian ambiance, maybe like ALICE/SILVIE from A2? ;)

The thread can be closed now. Phronk has said all that needs to be said. You're only missing the return of the Warfare objects. :)

The thread can be closed now. Phronk has said all that needs to be said. You're only missing the return of the Warfare objects. :)

Indeed, I miss having the warfare objects, they are surprisingly useful outside of warfare as well.

Ehhhh, considering the model quality difference between A2 and A3 objects I'd prefer from-scratch new ones instead of official ports.

Ehhhh, considering the model quality difference between A2 and A3 objects I'd prefer from-scratch new ones instead of official ports.

Still, having an upgraded version of them would be nice.

Dan;2944011']Still' date=' having an upgraded version of them would be nice.[/quote']Only if the devs still have higher-resolution source textures for them (this is not guaranteed) than the PAAs that were bundled in the Licensed Data Pack... because without said higher-res sources they won't look better than their Arma 2 iterations, and wasn't a lot of said Warfare objects' gameplay functionality (beyond "scenery objects") specific to Warfare and therefore scripted or part of a Warfare module?

Only if the devs still have higher-resolution source textures for them (this is not guaranteed) than the PAAs that were bundled in the Licensed Data Pack... because without said higher-res sources they won't look better than their Arma 2 iterations, and wasn't a lot of said Warfare objects' gameplay functionality (beyond "scenery objects") specific to Warfare and therefore scripted or part of a Warfare module?

I'm not even saying use the old models. But make new ones that function the same as they did in A2.

You want tab lock cruise missiles and torpedoes that much?

I wouldn't mind if it came with just a lockout hatch so you could start inside to gear up, and then move out of the sub to a sdv or just to scuba around.

I'm all for Naval assets, if you watch most of my posts you'd know that, but i personally, don't see a place for a Submarine THAT big in a game like Arma, that's actually playable... There are smaller subs for Special Operations that exist, or are in development, but even then, Subs... I mean i don't see a use for it as much as medium surface combat vehicles. The Sub would essentially become an indestructible pain in the neck, when added with tab lock missiles and an even more difficult to develop, Torpedo.

You want tab lock cruise missiles and torpedoes that much?

There's so much you can do with HMS Proteus. Captaining/piloting the vessel is a small part. From an editor's and mission maker's perspective it's a valuable vehicle to have. I don't know, randomly spawn it somewhere and upon retrieving intel locate it position and task a diving team to destroy it with an explosive charge. The explosion from both a submerged and surfaced vessel would also be very impressive. A frame rate killer for some but impressive.

Warfare is also fought on land, sea and air, so it only seems reasonable and realistic to have a naval fleet. We have various models of aircraft, cars and armour so why not expand the naval force?

I should also mention that if memory serves me correctly but didn't an Arma 3 trailer video or image feature HMS Proteus with divers? That could be contrived as false advertising as the image/video gave you the impression that Arma featured the submarine, when all it realistically is is a cut-scene prop. Naughty really. I mean, you can't even stand on it, let alone destroy it. Maybe with some editing, but my point being it wasn't designed or intended to be interactive so IMO it shouldn't have featured in the trailer. People wouldn't have been happy if a tank featured in ads turned out to be a static cut-scene prop.

There will be some who aren't interested in subs, but there will also be those who are and are willing to pay for the DLC which is in BIS' interest, so I cannot see why BIS hasn't grasped the opportunity of developing HMS Proteus and destroyers with both hands. Even players who aren't interested in subs will buy the DLC because of wanting the whole package thing and not wanting to be excluded from parts of missions.