Maio

Arma 3: Community wishes & ideas- DISCUSSION

If added as a bonus, without removing the classical system does not have to break anything. The simulator can distinguish between addons folder and package folders.

The idea is good, and does not worsen anything...

*edit* - After further thought, I guess I can see your point, but using custom modpacks still seems like a bad idea in the first place.

Edited by Harzach

We just need to get the launcher to support ANY addon that the game will load, ie manually installed, non-Steam addons so we can easily set up presets.

Personally I'd like to see a few ways to enhance how addons are installed. There are a lot of ways I think they could be handled and organized better, but it'd require digging in and redoing things that I doubt BI has any interest in. They seem to be very hesitant to touch small feature issues, they are focused on fixing flaws and creating large new mechanics and content. I'm hoping eventually they go in and take a look at the way the game handles things like multiplayer, addons, etc in a smarter way.

It'd be nice if, one day, you didn't have to worry about changing your addons every time you start the game, but rather loading addons on demand based on the server or mission. This way presets weren't necessary, you could just install addons and allow the mission and server to dictate which were loaded. I'd essentially like to see the launcher to become a front end for the game, basically taking on the functionality of the main menu, from where you could launch the game either to play SP content, join servers, host servers, access the editor, etc. A lot of simulator style games work this way now and I think it'd work well for ArmA. A server would provide the info about which addons to load, assuming they existed in your install, and then launch the game with those pbo's loaded.

I'm hoping once this DLC is released, BI will have some time to work on the launcher. Just being able to control the addons I load from any installation source would be huge.

You can always use something like PlaywithSix (although personally I despise that particular program, I greatly preferred it's predecessor). It gives you a way to easily manage addons, and I want to say it knows which addons to load when you join a server, although I could be wrong. You can certainly create preset load orders to load whichever addons you wish, with as many different combinations as you want. Without having to take all your PBOs and copy and past them across @folders or figuring out clever ways of manipulating what the engine sees.

We just need to get the launcher to support ANY addon that the game will load, ie manually installed, non-Steam addons so we can easily set up presets.

agreed!

i think the key word here is presets. this may sound overly complicated but for a game like arma it's just what we need since even people who are not mod fanatics will at some point use some mods. the arma 2 terrains is a good example. the launcher already won me over but it needs the follwoing things (sorry if i'm repeating what others have said):

1. recognizing non workshop addon folders simply by checking for @ prefix, addons folder inside that, and some pbo inside that

2. being able to save presets for an entire set of launcher settings. including start up parameters etc.

this should pretty much solve the OPs request and make the launcher perfect. that along with the nice subscription and collection feature of the workshop should make mod use a very comfortable and simple affair.

the only thing left then would probably be handling joining servers with lots of mods. although i'm afraid that the size that arma mods can reach makes stuff like auto download a bit difficult/unpractical. i'd even go as far as saying that the combination of existing features and the mentioned suggestions would kinda already solve that last quest.

i imagine a scenario where there is some kind of link providedby servers (maybe via the steam server browser) that has a workshop collection of all mods needed and maybe even the ability to share presets. that way you could just click one button and wait for the download to finish. then you'd just have to plugin the preset and would be ready to join the server.

only probelm i see is that all the addons would have to be on the workshop for that...

Can we plz get some beards the tactical bears just dont look right :(

Btw - where is the German Bundeswehr ??

A war in the middle of europe and no german troops anywhere???

I would like to see in the new helicopters DLC, fast rope capability for troops insertion... Similar implementation with physics as sling load. IE: physical rope with physics. I also want ability to to TAXI helicopters on tarmac. Not, the current implementation as in DEV version of game with wheel brakes. But actual controllable speed on the ground to make taxi controllable rather than current DEV state.

I would like to see in the new helicopters DLC, fast rope capability for troops insertion... Similar implementation with physics as sling load.
BI has repeatedly said that they're not planning this.

It would be great if there was a fast walk in between the walk or run toggle. The walk is fine for clearing but sometimes you need a little spurt of speed while still being able to point your rifle forward.

Edited by RUFFNEK

Instead of having a pistol/rifle/launcher slot, it'd be pretty neat to just have two or three generic "ready" slots. It'd make PDWs and dedicated grenade launchers a hell of a lot more useful - With the current system it's a PITA to use something like an M79, since you have to wrangle the inventory system to switch to anything other than a handgun, while something like a Javalin, which would realistically be much more unwieldy, is just one button away.

A regualr, modern, two handed walk animation that everyone would use. No more one handed, bad ass fo' life walking animation, used by all factions, and civilians.

A regualr, modern, two handed walk animation that everyone would use. No more one handed, bad ass fo' life walking animation, used by all factions, and civilians.
Ehhh... I'd rather that what you request be used instead for the combat pace-with-weapon-lowered movement speed.

Ehhh... I'd rather that what you request be used instead for the combat pace-with-weapon-lowered movement speed.

Why rather one than the other? I'd do both two handed animation. It would look better. We need more little things to boost immersion.

I don't know why the respawn system does not fully work in the SP editor or the save function in that fact for both SP/MP. I love bohemia and nobody makes a product like them but for the life of me I can't understand why simple functions like this does not fully work in the game. Please fix the respawn/save functions. Avibird

I think adding NVIDIA Gameworks (Particularly the turf effects) would make this game really shine.

I think adding NVIDIA Gameworks (Particularly the turf effects) would make this game really shine.

Ohhhh, so basically a Zero FPS DLC?

I really wish that Bohemia Interactive would change back the controls back to the controls before the update. I feel that the new controls have ruined the experience of flying a helicopter in the game and I have talked to a number of atlis life players and they agree with my. I think it would be great to have the community of Arma 3 to vote on changing the controls back or keeping the new ones. If that would not work I think it would be great to have a option in game setting to change the controls back to the old ones. Thank you for your time.

I really wish that Bohemia Interactive would change back the controls back to the controls before the update. I feel that the new controls have ruined the experience of flying a helicopter in the game and I have talked to a number of atlis life players and they agree with my. I think it would be great to have the community of Arma 3 to vote on changing the controls back or keeping the new ones. If that would not work I think it would be great to have a option in game setting to change the controls back to the old ones. Thank you for your time.
I'm pretty sure that there's already presets for that...

It's optional, guys... >.>

Sure I understand it's a lot harder for you guys to handle a realistic Flight Model based on the real thing, or close to it, but if you feel the Advanced FDM is a little too much, go to the Main Menu > Configure > Game > Advanced. Click I Advanced and make sure it says Standard.

Not sure if you are talking about controls or flight model.

Not sure if you are talking about controls or flight model.

Flight model, but there may be some things you want to change depending on your controls. For instance my countermeasures are R instead of G, therefore I changed the sling load to B instead of double R to prevent a waste of flares during a pickup.

In understanding that one of BIS' goals was to increase the emphasis on logistics and support with the recent Helicopters DLC, I am surprised to see that they haven't made use of integrating those pods (the ones that are sling-loaded by the Huron) into the HMETT on some sort of trailer apparatus.

After all, the base model HMETT is useless unless it were towing something…would it not!?!

#1, there are already existing support truck variants, and #2 the project lead admitted that there were engine limitations on what you seem to be suggesting that they found too complicated to overcome (TL;DR: having properties change dynamically to reflect the attached pod -- and attachTo was not deemed an acceptable solution) which is also why the Taru doesn't have "dynamic" pod use.