Maio

Arma 3: Community wishes & ideas- DISCUSSION

If you look at the tank, you can see the ERA, even if it's not exactly functional. Besides, it's just a T-95 Black Eagle.

You could argue an M1A1 Abrams is generic though, since it follows modern tank design. And you just said plenty of things can be old and futuristic, yet you complain these things kill immersion. In real life, these vehicles haven't been combat tested yet, but say in 2035 they might've been. You try to project into the future, it's not exactly easy. Although your points about APS, FCS, and functional ERA are still totally valid, the point that just because a vehicle appears futuristic it kills immersion is ridiculous. I suppose you must wince at games like Planetside 2, or Natural Selection 2 then.

One wish that i think we ALL want... MANTLE SUPPORT!

As far as i know, its free, it's needed and it's easy to implement...

We want MANTLE!!!

We want MANTLE!!!

We want MANTLE!!!

Can you change that thread to "I want this three vehicles/items so Arma III is a bigger success for me". The topic doesnt make any sense, because everybody wants other additional content.

A UH-72 Lakota would be nice. It would fit in well with the Helicopters DLC.

More civilian vehicles and presence. It still seems kind of empty, rather than a thriving Mediterranean island. More old boats, vans, horse drawn carts. A few civilian aircraft, even, like an Ag-cat, or helicopters with spray rigs for pesticides/fertilizers. Buses.

The best would be some kind of railed transportation. I know that's gotta be damn near impossible to implement though.

Other than the campaign having no real ending, I don't think ArmA3 is incomplete.

Wasn't there another thread just like this one?

Infantry movement is already good.

• New status system: health, wounds, dismemberment, wound treatment, energy, sleepiness, hunger, hydration, dampness, wetness, dirt and so on.

• More accurate weapons handling: bullet in chamber, manually inserting/ejecting magazines, emptying/refilling magazines, safety and so on.

• Better inventory management.

• More detailed vehicle controls and improved vehicle physics, but I believe BIS should concentrate on making the infantry experience top quality before they do too much about the vehicles.

• Better AI communication and control.

• Better performance and graphics improvements.

• Improved editor.

commanche ( blackfood ) was cancelled because a uav makes the job better ;) the copter was only scheduled as a recon copter for the Apache , a replacement for kiowa. and not as a gunship as in arma 3 ^^

They don't have to be widely known, they just have to be real. Because real vehicles and weapons are products of years of constant development and modernization made by thousands of people. Their development costs sometimes just enormous - no wonder that they are the best that certain manufacturer can provide.

You might be interested to know that nearly every weapon and vehicle in Arma 3 is based on a real life counterpart, even though the names may be different. The MX series rifle that everyone is so up in arms about was designed by the real life company CMMG.

This thread can provide further information on Arma 3 Future Stuff and how it's actually a bunch of stuff that exists right now.

Wasn't there another thread just like this one?

Infantry movement is already good.

• New status system: health, wounds, dismemberment, wound treatment, energy, sleepiness, hunger, hydration, dampness, wetness, dirt and so on.

• More accurate weapons handling: bullet in chamber, manually inserting/ejecting magazines, emptying/refilling magazines, safety and so on.

• Better inventory management.

• More detailed vehicle controls and improved vehicle physics, but I believe BIS should concentrate on making the infantry experience top quality before they do too much about the vehicles.

• Better AI communication and control.

• Better performance and graphics improvements.

• Improved editor.

A couple of things --

I was with you on improving the wounding system, but there is almost no reason to have a built in sims style needs system. That's the exact sort of thing that is only useful for a handful of scenarios or gamemodes and can be fully implemented through scripting.

Again, I'm all for more accurate weapons handling (a lot of this would just be more detailed animations for various states of the weapon), but I would really like you to clarify what you mean by "manually inserting/ejecting magazines, emptying/ refilling magazines" because, combined with the whole sleep/hunger system thing above, it really sounds like you are getting dangerously close to suggesting a parody of a realistic game.

Could you expand on "Better inventory management?" Because that could mean almost anything

Aside from performance, I don't think there's a ton of work to be done in the graphics department. Although, completely ditching the cpu driven shadows would be a nice step.

I also think it's important to give BIS credit where it's due, and acknowlege that they have made significant improvements in the editor.

And I more or less agree with everything else.

Not dropping below 20-25 FPS frequently. Anything else would just be gravy.

Could you expand on "Better inventory management?" Because that could mean almost anything

You didn't address me, but allow me to chime in. What I would like to see in inventory management is containers. Right now, there are only three containers (uniform, vest, backpack) with some pseudo-containers like weapons. I'd really like to see other containers like a magazine pouch etc. These might not be strictly required, but would make a nice extra, especially in missions that are supposed to be longer-running. Also, you have to pick up a weapon to unmount its scope, causing all your ammo to drop and not get picked up when you get your old one back.

Aside from performance, I don't think there's a ton of work to be done in the graphics department. Although, completely ditching the cpu driven shadows would be a nice step.

Deferred lighting. It's too bad that light still passes through walls and houses unhindered. That is one of my biggest pet peeves with the graphics. And I'd like to see the possibility to switch on lights during day. If you are in an SDV and it gets dark, you cannot switch on your light because it is daylight above surface. Go into a building, and you cannot switch on your flashlight because it is bright outside.

I also think it's important to give BIS credit where it's due, and acknowlege that they have made significant improvements in the editor.

Er... what significant improvements? As far as I can see, the editor is still almost identical to the Operation Flashpoint editor. I do not see anything significant, only small details. We still have to do most of the stuff manually, you cannot change the loadout of a solder or an ammo crate except by scripting (giving leave to lot of JIP-problems with naked soldiers).

Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for some of the details like a bigger "init" field. But if there is one area of the game that would really need a lot of love, then it is the editor. And I am not even talking about 3D here. I am talking about basic functionality like:

- Loadout editing in game

- Online help

- editing files from within the game

- Better Save handling (saving a mission under a different names only saves mission.sqm, but doesn't copy all the rest like scripts and other files)

- UNDO

- multiple entity editing. I don't want to have to set stuff individually, I want to select more than one unit and be able to change e.g. "Control" to "playable" on all of them at once.

That would be significant improvements.

I wish they would hurry up and fix the GPU issues that over 2000 people have reported before they waste time making DLC.

Then again they already stole our money on an unplayable game so I guess they'll never fix it.

You might be interested to know that nearly every weapon and vehicle in Arma 3 is based on a real life counterpart, even though the names may be different. The MX series rifle that everyone is so up in arms about was designed by the real life company CMMG.

This thread can provide further information on Arma 3 Future Stuff and how it's actually a bunch of stuff that exists right now.

A couple of things --

I was with you on improving the wounding system, but there is almost no reason to have a built in sims style needs system. That's the exact sort of thing that is only useful for a handful of scenarios or gamemodes and can be fully implemented through scripting.

Again, I'm all for more accurate weapons handling (a lot of this would just be more detailed animations for various states of the weapon), but I would really like you to clarify what you mean by "manually inserting/ejecting magazines, emptying/ refilling magazines" because, combined with the whole sleep/hunger system thing above, it really sounds like you are getting dangerously close to suggesting a parody of a realistic game.

And I more or less agree with everything else.

I believe the complete well-being of a soldier is of major importance in any battle situation. Ask any soldier what happens what happens when your blood sugar drops, you start developing a headache, making really bad choices and so on.

Official integration of systems like that would be very useful in any small survival/escape style scenario. Sure, can be implemented on a mission-by-mission basis but I believe making infantry simulation more believable is in BIS best interests.

After all, don't all soldiers carry at least a canteen of water? It's hardly sci-fi.

With being able to manually control magazines I mean something I mentioned to the devs during development: being able to eject a magazine and visually check how much ammo is in it instead of having a magical HUD ammo counter.

Check out "Receiver" gameplay. It's a small indie game where you reload by ejecting a magazine, putting it into your inventory/throwing it away, grabbing a new magazine from your inventory, then inserting it into your gun.

With some training you can do it all in a heartbeat and it really makes you appreciate the weapons more.

I believe this and other similar gun control details is necessary if ARMA really wants to fight back its title as an "infantry simulator" which it currently has sort of lost.

Naturally would only have to be an optional setting, you know a highest difficulty setting thing.

Also repacking magazines is currently not possible I believe, but there are mods for it and in DayZ it's possible and it really sort of a basic thing.

When it comes to inventory management something I believe a graphical slot system for vests and so on would be better than the current one, think Diablo/Deus Ex. Maybe not for bigger bags, but for vests.

I just want ARMA to be closer to a simulator, so you would actually have to worry about the things actual soldiers worry about like keeping their feet dry and their guns clean.

In the graphics department there are most importantly awful mid-range textures, tons of glitches/LOD flickering and ground parallax should just go. They should also find a way to draw grass at further distances.

The editor is awful. Spawn an AI soldier and he just stands there like a dummy even if you shoot him. There is absolutely no way to quickly and intuitively set up a small scale battle without scripting. The editor needs a pinch of Zeus.

- multiple entity editing. I don't want to have to set stuff individually, I want to select more than one unit and be able to change e.g. "Control" to "playable" on all of them at once.

Multiple entity editing, dear GOD!

Edited by Sneakson

NAVY!

3 pages so far and no mention of this? You can't add what already exists to get to "complete".

We have everything to some extent already. Most amazing game/hobbie ever... But no NAVY?

NAVY!

3 pages so far and no mention of this? You can't add what already exists to get to "complete".

We have everything to some extent already. Most amazing game/hobbie ever... But no NAVY?

"Armed speedboats with a GMG-armed RWS and a rear minigun or .50-cal" is actually the most capable navy in the whole series to date, dude... and right in line with literally every Arma game to date.

I see a lot of people asking for new guns and vehicles and other cool stuff... But the main issue for me at least, is the game performance even in modern PC's.

I asked for a MANTLE support a few pages back, and looks like no one even cared about that.

MANTLE is a phenomenal opportunity for BIS to improve and/or fix one of the main game issues. If the game runs smoother/faster they can implement more stuff or even improve on graphics.

this game is awsome and i see people complaining about immersion because of futuristic wepons and vehicles... But i think that's nothing compared with frame drops to 15 fps or worst... THAT is a true immersion killer.

I see a lot of people asking for new guns and vehicles and other cool stuff... But the main issue for me at least, is the game performance even in modern PC's.

I asked for a MANTLE support a few pages back, and looks like no one even cared about that.

MANTLE is a phenomenal opportunity for BIS to improve and/or fix one of the main game issues. If the game runs smoother/faster they can implement more stuff or even improve on graphics.

this game is awsome and i see people complaining about immersion because of futuristic wepons and vehicles... But i think that's nothing compared with frame drops to 15 fps or worst... THAT is a true immersion killer.

Mantle would be nice, but you have to remember it only supports a relatively small portion of the userbase. It doesn't make sense for the dev team to spend a bunch of time implementing something that only less than 10% of the playerbase will be able to benefit from.

My slightly shortened wish list

Functioning copilots

Helo Crew actually getting used in crew positions(just bugs the hell outta me that they went through the trouble of doing crew units but then don't even use them)

Gunner/Crew Chief animations, obviously for the guns but also just simple things like leaning out of the helo to talk the pilots in on landings and such.

Door guns for the Mohawk, Hellcat and Orca.

Stub Wings with proper anti-tank missles for the Blackfoot.

Anti-tank variants of the Hellcat and Pawnee.https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrB8o8Y7W9TNB4AcpSJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIzamVkdmZkBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAM4Yjk3OWI3NDY4NmQzNWJmMzJkMzc2NGM0OGJlOWQ5MgRncG9zAzQwBGl0A2Jpbmc-?back=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dlynx%2Btow%2Bmissles%26fr%3Dyfp-t-901%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D40&w=1024&h=683&imgurl=www.globalaviationresource.com%2Freports%2F2011%2Fmilitary-aviation-westland-lynx-40th-anniversary%2Fimages%2F21.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.globalaviationresource.com%2Freports%2F2011%2Fmilitary-aviation-westland-lynx-40th-anniversary%2F&size=266.8KB&name=Military+Aviation&p=lynx+tow+missiles&oid=8b979b74686d35bf32d3764c48be9d92&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-901&rw=lynx+tow+missiles&tt=Military+Aviation&b=0∋=21&no=40&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=1340b81h5&sigb=13bvtscaj&sigi=13apfkgdk&sigt=10h6f8g9j&sign=10h6f8g9j&.crumb=q3YoqdISqqO&fr=yfp-t-901&fr2=piv-webhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/McDONNELL_DOUGLAS_DEFENDER_500.png

General purpose machine guns(M-240's, PKM's, MG3/MG5's Etc) Not just for ground forces but also to be used as defensive armament on helos.

FLIR for all helos. Cant really say for other nations militaries or even other branches of the US military but in the Marine Corps even the CH-53's and MV-22's have FLIR and they are just used for cargo/transport type missions. I cant imagine a good reason why this wouldn't be commonplace on nearly all military aircraft a few decades from now.

Edited by Odie0351

- Detach weapon switching from the action menu and enable a simple use key which actually works precisely on what the view points at.

- Proper SLI Support, 3dvision and VR support in the medium run.

- Working voice commands for AI troops and giving them the ability to act somewhat autonomously - I shouldn't have to tell the medic to heal wounded team members if possible, just as I shouldn't have to tell them to restock ammunition and medpacks after a firefight and no spotted enemies (granted - minor issues for MP, but it deters new players like me from getting into the game, as the somewhat decent subjects amongst us try to learn the game in SP before annoying the heck out of people on MP servers with our inexperience).

How about a Search and Rescue module that would send a helo to pickup ejected pilots and stranded SF guys. I imagine it would be very complicated to get in game and functioning dev side but I personally think it could be fun and useful, could potentially make for your own personal dynamic Bat 21/Behind Enemy Lines Styled missions. Perhaps make it kinda like the CAS and Arty modules and have both a real one that has to be linked with a bird already in game and a virtual one as well?

I like the feature which makes your character able to look around with its head only. This is even useful if your are zooming in at enemy lines with a rifle. Given the stances your character is performing, the angle of your "field of aim" is increased or decreased. That is awesome, but i have one complaint about this: There are situations where the target is outside of this angle, especially if you are walking forward while aiming through the iron scope. The deal is, if you release "Alt" the the rifle adjusts back to your body direction(the front). Mostly this kills my orientation for a short time. My suggestion is that your body direction adjusts to your rifle aiming(not vise versa), while you are in iron scope only. The ordinary "look around with your head to get a better view about the situation" is thereof excluded.

pls take care!

I would really appreciate if the Civilians got their own dedicated faction specific helicopter as well. Example, while in talks with allot of people in one of my threads, lots of people liked the EC-155, which would be an ideal High Quality helicopter. It's got capabilities of Civilian/VIP transportation, looks damned good, able to fit multiple changes, can be repainted/modeled to be various schemes of VIP, utility, Medivac, Law enforcement and even light scout. It's the wholly grail of helicopters in detail, and fits the Civilian faction, as well as the home forces (AAF) equipment. It can be implemented much like the Karts in terms of editor selection. Having different paint jobs, such as "Helicopter Green", or "Helicopter Luxury VIP", or "Helicopter Rescue". Maybe even have a sub section under Civilian for Rescue forces, or Law enforcement, including Press. For example, "Civilian>Law Enforcement>Helicopter News". Something along those lines.

Eurocopter%20EC155.jpg

Would make for a perfect immersion addition to Altian civilians, rescue, and enforcement of 2035.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial