Maio

Arma 3: Community wishes & ideas- DISCUSSION

Here's an idea that came out of a discussion about Mac based ARMA3 possibilities THAT I blurted out, second paragraph.

I know that a Mac can run Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 maxed out now (yes actual Mac versions). They have dedicted Mobility Radeon graphics and i7 processors now. All BI Studios needs to do is develop an X-Code port for Snow Loepard. I to so desperatley want to make the jump into virus free paradise as well. In fact I am getting a new iPhone 4S very soon with the Magpul case! Then I'm getting my 15" MBPro.

It would be so damn cool to use an iMac 27" LED Cinema display in triplicate. Just imagine an APP for the iTouch and iPhone that allows you to link your portable device to simulate BORS or the Ballistic calculator the CheyTAC M200 LRSS uses instead of PU and PD. The possibilities would be endless and not limited to sniper missions. You could actually use your iPhone or iTouch as your RADIO system for using different channles, boosting gain, squelch, simulate freqency problems and what not. All's ya bee need'n is someheadphones with a mic. I hope this game is 3D too!

I think I will call the APP 'iPRC 4S'.

How about a good sci-fi scenario : Israel declaring preventive war on Iran, and things go wrong and we end up on our knees fighting to save our arse in a f****d up Greece at the mercy of China...

Oh wait... Damn you BIS, I blame you for the current situation !

How about a good sci-fi scenario : Israel declaring preventive war on Iran, and things go wrong and we end up on our knees fighting to save our arse in a f****d up Greece at the mercy of China...

Oh wait... Damn you BIS, I blame you for the current situation !

That's not Sc-Fi, that's more a prediction based on current events. None the less I like the idea of the IDF going at it with the Red Army an the Iranians.

Hi, i'll like to see armed greek leftists fighting vs Iran, punks with pinned leather jackets and Dr. Marteens, crests and Dead kennedys, D.O.A, No Means No, Ministry, Mojo Nixon or Jello Biafra & The Guantano School Of Medicine T-Shirts; with some Alternative Tentacles jacket or T-Shirt too, aside of this über-pimp T-Shirt too:

shQ.jpg

And with true weapons, G3A4 and P99, not AK-47 and rusty stuff, something that hits hard. I want to see the greek true left wing movements represented, planting bombs, shooting and that, with organization, a working chain of command and hitting hard.

I think that couldn't be a bad idea to have as camapaign background that Iran was attacked in the 2015 and the war ended with the surrender of Iran in the 2017 with Ahmadineyad hanged like Sadam, and that after a short recovery time were Iran seemed to gain some freedom... then the goverment is teared down by another islamo-faszist regime that "to show strenght" attacks Greece receiving economic aid from the Under******ground Reich, and then get their asses kicked again and the new Iran's leader is behaded on his balcony for cheer and joy of his people. I want a blood bath that ends with the islamo-faszists that rule Iran basically... with the Punks and the Marines kicking their heads 'til shove 'em on the ground as the filthy worms that they're. Let's C ya

P.S: And a M1911, i want a f*****' M1911-A1 too!!.

Joey Ramone... Hey Ho...Lets Go! :)

I didn't throw much into the mix for ideas, but this is what I have:

Game Play / Engine

-deeper color palette

-virtual populace (not a huge map W/ no civilians or infrastructure) Make the place look “lived-in†autonomous population with jobs, homes, bus stops

ability to Entrench/Fortify position

external vehicle passengers (non-scripted)

crawl out/into windows for stealth or when pinned in a bldg.

set fire to buildings

true downforce effect on trees (bending trees)

destroyable lights (street lamps etc)

sneak in shadows (hide in culverts, ditches)

why does a 6 ton helicopter lose vs 500 lb tree?

Content

Denel NTW 20 (20mm Anti Materiel Rifle, 2 man carry) prevents use of UBER sniper weapon. Must be used as a team, limited ROF, ammo count. Very effective when used properly.

Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle (USMC) getting in line with the future appeal

HIMARS W/ SLAMRAAM better SAM coverage

Douglas A-1 Skyraider, true close air support without all the "tab-fire'ing"

OV-10 Bronco same as above

Waverunner/Jetski come on, tactical surf ninjas on waverunners :)

Tear Gas, Pepper Spray, Riot Gear ... the way the world has been going lately. Besides, gives the ability to play a new gamemode "Occupy Lemnos"

I have other ideas, but this is just a start. I'm not much of a big "gun" guy. I don't need to have every gun out there, but its the odd things I like to see, like ambulances and tow-trucks, etc.

Joey Ramone... Hey Ho...Lets Go! :)

I didn't throw much into the mix for ideas, but this is what I have:

Game Play / Engine

-deeper color palette

-virtual populace (not a huge map W/ no civilians or infrastructure) Make the place look “lived-in†autonomous population with jobs, homes, bus stops

ability to Entrench/Fortify position

external vehicle passengers (non-scripted)

crawl out/into windows for stealth or when pinned in a bldg.

set fire to buildings

true downforce effect on trees (bending trees)

destroyable lights (street lamps etc)

sneak in shadows (hide in culverts, ditches)

why does a 6 ton helicopter lose vs 500 lb tree?

Content

Denel NTW 20 (20mm Anti Materiel Rifle, 2 man carry) prevents use of UBER sniper weapon. Must be used as a team, limited ROF, ammo count. Very effective when used properly.

Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle (USMC) getting in line with the future appeal

HIMARS W/ SLAMRAAM better SAM coverage

Douglas A-1 Skyraider, true close air support without all the "tab-fire'ing"

OV-10 Bronco same as above

Waverunner/Jetski come on, tactical surf ninjas on waverunners :)

Tear Gas, Pepper Spray, Riot Gear ... the way the world has been going lately. Besides, gives the ability to play a new gamemode "Occupy Lemnos"

I have other ideas, but this is just a start. I'm not much of a big "gun" guy. I don't need to have every gun out there, but its the odd things I like to see, like ambulances and tow-trucks, etc.

I see where you're going with this, and I like it. The ArmA 2 campaign had this "living" world to some degree and I would very much like to see it expanded in ArmA III. Like a GTA, only serious and about a war-torn island in the near future...well not really like GTA, but you get the idea...

I agree, if Denel NTW 20 is brought to the game, it should be used as a crew served weapon. I think I mentioned that when I requested it some while ago :)

I agree, if Denel NTW 20 is brought to the game, it should be used as a crew served weapon. I think I mentioned that when I requested it some while ago :)

Damn, why do you beat me to the good stuff !! :rolleyes:

Tulx, as far as the GTA reference goes, my response is "ish". As in "GTA ish". More like "Oblivion ish" though. Where the populace went about their daily lives and reacted to the events around them as needed. The Chernarus Electrical Grid http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10676 is an example of something that can be included in game to improve the immersion and life like feel of the game.

wcSgRoSJGZk

Unsure where to post this and didn't want to start a thread, but I guess we get a flavour of arma3 editor by looking at TOH?

Seems logical, looks very nice, much more workbench style to it.

Sorry if this has been covered already anyway.

I actually kinda miss the way how Arma1 had big cities like the capitol of Sahrani. I've found that the official maps on Arma2 are mostly wilderness and feature very small cities. Even if that is accurate to the representation of the area, I think there should at least be one urban city type map included. Zargabad just didn't cut it for some reason: even one custom map called Fallujah is about 4x as big in the actual city area but it lags a lot less. Zargabad is quite small as well but there is something missing that the older games had which Arma2 didn't. I think I've seen some pretty big cities though in the Arma3 videos so that's a good thing.

Kinda a wish for the campaign. If it's World War III, then actually let it look and feel like a World War III. Don't simply make Iran another Takistan army. I see how the game story is listed as the "Limnos Incident" in the ArmAverse timeline. Whatever happens on Limnos should be seen as part of the war, not some Incident which suggests some isolated conflict. Chernarus was an incident. Takistan was an incident. This is not so much a complaint on the name of the story in the timeline as much as it is concern over what the term suggests. If this is World War III, which has been suggested if not stated, then the game should show it. It should top or at least match what's seen in MW3. Criticize the gameplay, criticize the lack of innovation, criticize the fact that it's basically the same game twice over, but it's SP LOOKED like a WW3 (especially Paris, Berlin, and Hamburg). So please, let it look and feel like a world war 3. By the end of the game, please let there by full on war on the island (like a NATO fullscale operation to retake the island and push back Iran). On that note, please let Iran have allies. And DLC: Let us see the war in some major European locations (Germany, France, Netherlands, Spain), basically in the top Western nations.

An all out war in the campaign would be cool but i don't think it is the direction bi is going. To me I don't really care as long as it's not buggy or to system intensive. When I first got arma 2 I couldn't even play the campaign because my computer couldn't handle all the stuff going on. Then when i upgraded and the game was optimized there were still enough bugs and immersion breaking glitches to give up and stick to the editor. I really hope this time the campaign works smoothly.

An all out war in the campaign would be cool but i don't think it is the direction bi is going. To me I don't really care as long as it's not buggy or to system intensive. When I first got arma 2 I couldn't even play the campaign because my computer couldn't handle all the stuff going on. Then when i upgraded and the game was optimized there were still enough bugs and immersion breaking glitches to give up and stick to the editor. I really hope this time the campaign works smoothly.

I just want to get the sense from the campaign that there is a larger war going on, and that this incident is just a part of that war. I don't want to get the sense that the Limnos Incident is the war. By the time of the game, the war's been going on ten years. That should be apparent by the atmosphere of the game. You should see clear signs that the Iranians invaded Limnos. Honestly, as much as the unaltered Limnos towns look nice, most of it should be destroyed. Because, judging by the E3 screens, it looks like Iran was invited in, not that they invaded. Things should be in ruins from fighting between Iran and the local resistance. There should be bombed out buildings. The resistance should stem from the Greek army as well as local crime organizations and the like. So that's my suggestion. That it actually look, feel, and play out like it is a part of a large war. Oh, and on your non-system intrusive comment: BIS, it's okay to fake some graphics for the sake of playability. Your smoke is a good example. I don't know about anyone else, but smoke always causes lag for me. Basically, for a simulator, a really robust particle system isn't really needed. Some people might disagree with me. Maybe even most. But 2D particles work just fine. I'd rather your muzzle flash be true dynamic particles over things like smoke and explosions. That's just me.

you might want to watch the videos again, read through the homepage and listen to what the team says more carefully

the island bears many scars from the fierce battles between NATO and the invading Iranian troops in 2025.
The basic infrastructure is mostly decayed due to combat damage and no maintenance.

Video

Take a look at the buildings here

The team also said that there will be more detailed levels of destruction and you will be able to see dust and rust on old furniture in old houses whereas it looks clean in still inhabited ones

And DLC: Let us see the war in some major European locations (Germany, France, Netherlands, Spain), basically in the top Western nations.

I've always wanted to see an Arma game or DLC set in sub-Saharan Africa. The terrain and the whole look of it would be vastly different from anything else in the series. Somewhere else in Europe wouldn't look all that different from Chernarus except in architecture.

Zargabad just didn't cut it for some reason: even one custom map called Fallujah is about 4x as big in the actual city area but it lags a lot less.

That's because Fallujah uses comparatively simple building models from Arma 1. You can only enter one or two of them. Almost every single building in Zargabad is enterable and many of the models have complex interiors. But anyway, BIS has stated that the smallest town on Lemnos will be about the size of Chernogorsk and that every building will be enterable, so that's that.

The team also said that there will be more detailed levels of destruction and you will be able to see dust and rust on old furniture in old houses whereas it looks clean in still inhabited ones

Do you remember where this was stated?

you might want to watch the videos again, read through the homepage and listen to what the team says more carefully

Video

Take a look at the buildings here

Signs of dust and rust are not signs of war. That pic showed only one destroyed house while a lot of those buildings in the background were untouched. Same with the video you posted. I'm not saying it wont be in the game, just stating that it should be a priority. Those houses should mostly be destroyed. I'm sorry, but it goes back to the fact that the island was invaded. I'm hoping they just haven't added all the destruction yet. Look at pics and videos of towns destroyed during ww2 and you'll see what I'm talking about. You probably don't even need to though. But for an island that got invaded, at this point it sure doesn't look like it.

Signs of dust and rust are not signs of war. That pic showed only one destroyed house while a lot of those buildings in the background were untouched. Same with the video you posted. I'm not saying it wont be in the game, just stating that it should be a priority. Those houses should mostly be destroyed. I'm sorry, but it goes back to the fact that the island was invaded. I'm hoping they just haven't added all the destruction yet. Look at pics and videos of towns destroyed during ww2 and you'll see what I'm talking about. You probably don't even need to though. But for an island that got invaded, at this point it sure doesn't look like it.

What about - Lemnos got surrounded by Iran/China and then they just surrendered ?

Same thing happend in Nogova with Soviets (OFP: Resistance)

@antoineflemming

Just look at the other islands and how mission designers can change/create different mission settings + stories. There are many reasons why people love sandbox games and prefer them over popcorn cash cows like MW3.

@antoineflemming

Just look at the other islands and how mission designers can change/create different mission settings + stories. There are many reasons why people love sandbox games and prefer them over popcorn cash cows like MW3.

What does any of this have to do with MW3? I ain't talking about other pol's islands. I'm talking about Limnos during a 10 yr war. The story says Limnos got invaded. If PurePassion actually got his info from BIS, then NATO fought and lost to Iran there. Which does not suggest peaceful surrender. What's so wrong with having destroyed stuff? Are you all really afraid of stuff looking similar to other games? So what if another game features destruction. So what if another game has a feature that might be good for ArmA. The only reason I even brought up MW3 is because they actually had a story that was supposed to be world war 3. Changing mission stories has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm saying. MW3 visually looks like a modern world war. That's the ONLY point I was trying to make when mentioning MW3. No one's trying to say that MW3 is better than ArmA. So there's no need to make any statement about how sandbox games are better than cashcow linear games. You do not need to go on the defensive everytime another game is mentioned.

What does any of this have to do with MW3? I ain't talking about other pol's islands. I'm talking about Limnos during a 10 yr war. The story says Limnos got invaded. If PurePassion actually got his info from BIS, then NATO fought and lost to Iran there. Which does not suggest peaceful surrender. What's so wrong with having destroyed stuff? Are you all really afraid of stuff looking similar to other games? So what if another game features destruction. So what if another game has a feature that might be good for ArmA. The only reason I even brought up MW3 is because they actually had a story that was supposed to be world war 3. Changing mission stories has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm saying. MW3 visually looks like a modern world war. That's the ONLY point I was trying to make when mentioning MW3. No one's trying to say that MW3 is better than ArmA. So there's no need to make any statement about how sandbox games are better than cashcow linear games. You do not need to go on the defensive everytime another game is mentioned.

Well undestroyed houses are very universal for mission makers ,because if you want to have them destroyed you can easy switch them into destroyed look in your mission

Well undestroyed houses are very universal for mission makers ,because if you want to have them destroyed you can easy switch them into destroyed look in your mission

Thanks. Because I really didn't see the point of that post. But, still, if they can be swapped, why not just have destroyed buildings for the campaign? And undestroyed for mission editor? It could be the same approach that users would take. Basically, I'd really like to get the sense that there is a larger war going on. I don't want to get the sense that the incident on Limnos is all there is. Oh, and is the proper way to spell the island Limnos or Lemnos?

you can say both, Lemnos and Limnos ;)

The point is that

A: as already said, just models of completely destroyed houses are practically useless for modders and their broad usage of them.

B: Why announce that every building will be enterable and then only present a scenery like you described it?

To explain you the "practical" aspect behind it:

When the war begun, Limnos was quickly invaded by the Iranians and only defended by 27th MEU of the United States Marine Corps. The battle lasted only for several weeks before the NATO troops pulled back.

Limno's structure sure had losses due to the fighting but the fact that there is even a fraction of the ancient population still living there might give you a hint why not everything is completely ruined.

However if you can't understand that at all, a simple script can deliever you the desired scenery. Go into the editor and set a marker that will destroy any building within a certain range. (As seen in the first PMC mission ;) )

Et voilà armageddon has arrived

you can say both, Lemnos and Limnos ;)

The point is that

A: as already said, just models of completely destroyed houses are practically useless for modders and their broad usage of them.

B: Why announce that every building will be enterable and then only present a scenery like you described it?

To explain you the "practical" aspect behind it:

When the war begun, Limnos was quickly invaded by the Iranians and only defended by 27th MEU of the United States Marine Corps. The battle lasted only for several weeks before the NATO troops pulled back.

Limno's structure sure had losses due to the fighting but the fact that there is even a fraction of the ancient population still living there might give you a hint why not everything is completely ruined.

However if you can't understand that at all, a simple script can deliever you the desired scenery. Go into the editor and set a marker that will destroy any building within a certain range. (As seen in the first PMC mission ;) )

Et voilà armageddon has arrived

Ok, I understand. Basically, my point is that however they do it, there needs to be signs of the larger war going on. Because that's the context of what's going on. I'm not saying that they don't have that or are not planning for that, I'm just saying that in designing the island they need to keep that in mind. No, not every building needs to be destroyed. But not every building should be intact. And rust/dust is signs of being old. That's not destruction as mentioned in the dev statement you mentioned. And destroyed buildings doesn't mean rubble. That can include buildings with no roof, or homes with holes blown in their sides, buildings with exposed second and/or third floors. That's what I'm saying. No, not for every building. But not every building needs to be in perfect condition. And no, it shouldn't be just destroyed buildings. It should be like setting a damage level, and just that some buildings have a higher damage level set, which should correlate to the damage model.