Sign in to follow this  
tom34

Arma CWA ported to Linux and MAC

Knowing that the game works pretty well on wine it suggests that BI wants to release linux version on steam.

Let's hope that on the release they:

-fix multiplayer servers browser

-make versions compatible with each other

14 hours ago, przemek_kondor said:

Knowing that the game works pretty well on wine it suggests that BI wants to release linux version on steam.

Let's hope that on the release they:

-fix multiplayer servers browser

-make versions compatible with each other

They only porting a game not fixing game issues... Of course its will be compatible with other platforms.

I meant that release process (has to be done by BI) must anyway grab some resources (QA, release management, dev reviews), and that (linux version release) would be perfect occasion to add small and easy bonus for windows version.

Arma: Cold War Assault Mac/Linux STEAM

Source: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/arma-cold-war-assault-released-for-linux-mac-but-its-separated-from-the-windows-version.9308

Update: They have since changed the name of it on Steam to "Arma: Cold War Assault Mac/Linux" which should help avoid some confusion.

Arma: Cold War Assault [Steam] is now available for Linux & Mac, but it does not support Steamplay with the Windows version. So Steam now has a Windows version and then an entirely separate store entry for the Linux/Mac version.

It's the same price for the different versions, but Virtual Programming (the porters) have confirmed to me this is not a mistake. They also confirmed to me that multiplayer is cross platform between Linux, Mac and Windows so that's good to have at least.

This isn't the first game on Steam to force you to buy it on a different platform. Aspyr Media's 'Call of Duty: Black Ops - Mac Edition' was also one such game that did this.

I really hope this isn't the shape of things to come, as I really don't agree with having to buy for a different operating system on the same hardware on PC. As much as I truly want to support more Linux ports from VP (as Bioshock was a fantastic port, as was DiRT Showdown), I am heavily torn by this. Torn, as I likely will still buy it to support VP to continue porting as I want more Linux ports and to try a game on Linux I never tried on Windows.

Another issue, is the platform icons and how this will again cause confusion for gamers. The SteamOS icon in particular has been repeatedly confusing for people. Hopefully by now most people on Windows already have it, as it could create some support and refund headaches for people who don't properly look at the platform icons.

One thing it will stop, is grey-market keys for the Windows version being used for it. So practically all Linux gamers wanting this will be forced to pay for it properly. That redeems it a little, since I really don't like grey-market stores.

Editorial: On paying for Linux games when you already have a Windows version

I think its not fair that i need to buy a game if i already have Windows version.

I will test Linux version how it works vs WINE version.

It's unfortunate there's no Steam play. I have CWA working well on PlayOnMac but I'm tempted to see how the port is.

I was also hoping this would be an opportunity for a CWA update that included widescreen support among other things to make up for the recent widescreen update that didn't work.

Version 1.99

No "Internet" in "Multiplayer" section, only LAN, you need manually add server IP.

WINE vs STEAM : 1:0 ;-/

4ew90I5.png

You would hope that gets rectified.

How does it handle mods? What about installing mods like ones that change the skies that are installed via a batch file? Is it possible to use Fwatch with it? Faguss' aspect ratio/widescreen patch centres the UI but requires Fwatch to do it.

9 minutes ago, -Snafu- said:

You would hope that gets rectified.

How does it handle mods? What about installing mods like ones that change the skies that are installed via a batch file? Is it possible to use Fwatch with it? Faguss' aspect ratio/widescreen patch centres the UI but requires Fwatch to do it.

Not tested this on Linux yet but on Windows i was using steam too to load addons.

User files is stored in "/home/username/.local/share/vpltd/ArmaColdWarAssault/SavedGames/tom34" i see "UserInfo.cfg" file in this folder so its possible to use Faguss tweaks and tricks. "mpmissions" are saved there as well.

On 3/15/2017 at 6:11 PM, tom34 said:

User files is stored in "/home/username/.local/share/vpltd/ArmaColdWarAssault/SavedGames/tom34" i see "UserInfo.cfg" file in this folder so its possible to use Faguss tweaks and tricks. "mpmissions" are saved there as well.

I bought the game, curiosity got the better of me

The setup is a bit different for the Mac version.

As you say, his aspect ratio does work, but Fwatch is an .exe you need to use to launch CWA with to access the advanced features of aspect ratio.

1 hour ago, -Snafu- said:

Now if we can figure out how to install mods that use batch files that would be fantastic.

`Use properties on steam then Set run oprions, the same like in BAT file.

Is there dedicated server also included for Linux?

On 3/15/2017 at 10:46 PM, tom34 said:

`Use properties on steam then Set run oprions, the same like in BAT file.

Sorry, my knowledge is limited. What do you mean? Mods which change the skies, like Kegetys' high resolution skies, are (as far as I know) installed by launching a batch file which uses cpbo.exe to replace textures/models within the data and data3d pbo files. Since you can't run an exe on MacOS, this would probably mean you have to use something like Wine to somehow do it, which is is possible by launching explorer.exe from the Wine dos prompt (simply type explorer.exe and hit enter) then navigating to the batch file (or exe installer if you want to install a mod) and double-clicking it to launch.

On 3/16/2017 at 5:32 PM, retrocz said:

I don't think so, I can't remember seeing any reference to a linux dedicated server. Would love to be corrected!

23 hours ago, retrocz said:

No ded server executable i just maked ticket about that here https://www.vpltd.com/support/ please do the same.

You can make server in game but thats not the same....

EDIT:

Looks like dedicated server is builted in, here answer for my ticket:

For dedicated server, please run the same executable as for the main game, but with -server command-line parameter. You may want to provide a config file, pointed to by -config= .

Krystian Galaj

Aq9Dtp1.png

It is very unfortunate that it is not released as a Steamplay game. Therefore, I have requested a refund as I cannot support this step...

I don't mind paying extra, but it is against my principals.

I know people haven't commented here in a while and not sure if this is the right thread.  But started playing this game on my Mac recently and have problems now that I've got to missions where I need to command my own unit because the Function or F keys do not work as they would on a Windows machine on Mac  F1, for example, will dim the brightness and another F key will take me out of the game entirely because that is what the F keys do on a Mac so any advice how to get them working as they should be for ARMA CWA?  Can't seem to find anything when doing a search. 

EDIT search for it more generally and realised it's under System Preferences on the Mac itself before even going into the game 

There should also be an 'fn' key on your keyboard (assuming you're using a MacBook Pro like myself) that you can use in conjunction with the F1,F2 etc. keys to have them functions as they would in the PC version of the game.

Does anyone know where the steam version places player-made scenarios?

For Mac it should be:

/Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Arma Cold War Assault/Users/USERNAME/missions