Incontinentia

[Release] Incon Undercover: A comprehensive undercover / incognito simulation

I'm not quite clear on this..

(Requires ALiVE) Turn recruited units into a profiled group to be used by AI commander of the same faction as the undercover unit (add to object init: this addaction ["Profile group","[player,'profileGroup'] remoteExecCall ['INCON_ucr_fnc_ucrMain',2]",[],1,false,true]);

I'm trying to get this to work but I keep getting a generic error in expression or other errors depending on what I try.  Can someone ELI5 this for me, I'm very new to scripts.

So basically you have an object (like a whiteboard or an arms cache or something) that when you point at it, an option to "Profile Group" comes up in your action menu to make your recent recruits leave your group and form a group of their own that is equipped as per your faction to be used by an ALiVE opcom commander. In the eden editor, double click the object you want to have this option added to and paste this into the init box: 

this addaction ["Profile group","[player,'profileGroup'] remoteExecCall ['INCON_ucr_fnc_ucrMain',2]",[],1,false,true]);

If everything else is setup correctly and you have ALiVE up and running, with an AI commander on your side, it should all work. 

@Incontinentia 

you ever have any issues with units who start as independents being unable to change from whatever their starting clothes to civilian? I am having an issue where players are not able to get into civilian clothes after they spawn into the game. 

Just for anyone else reading this, I'm bug hunting with Nichols now so the potential issue above isn't being ignored. Check the Github for progress. Seems a recent Arma update might be playing havoc although this is unconfirmed as yet. 

Incontinentia,

EDIT:

Nevermind, finally figured out I'm supposed to order them using the `-6 menu.......................... That took hours to figure out.

First off @Incontinentia thanks for your patience and willingness to bounce stuff back and forth last week. After much effort I think I have it tweaked to the point where it's humming along nicely as far as settings go. 

The question now is how does it handle boats and aircraft? Do they register by faction or as a non-faction empty object? If they are by faction; I am guessing that we need to name them specifically in the vehicle arrays but under which array and function? Would they trigger the compromised side all the time for being considered off road; or is that not a consideration for them even though there would not be boundaries like there are with the roads on maps? 

Just wanted to know if you had thought about it at some point in the past and if so is it even possible to make them work?

Answered on the Git I think but all vehicles are treated the same, whether land, sea, air, spaaaace, whatever. If the vehicle is used by the faction, it will be treated like any other faction vehicle. So civilian cars act the same as civilian boats, and OPFOR aircraft show as OPFOR aircraft. It's pretty reliable, but if it's a niche custom faction then do check the vehicles are behaving as they should. If not, you can always add them. You can also add specific vehicles to any array as you want, so that means you could permit other types of aircraft to the faction defaults. 

Is there an EASY way to change the amount of time that it takes to kill or incapacitate all the AI if you are in contact with them in an ambush situation. You had mentioned to me that the time was set at 30 seconds before the AI notified others but I would like to shorten that time to something a little less than that. Also we are noticing an almost immediate change back to incognito in several instances but I think it might all be related to the speed at which our guys are schwacking the AI enemy in a fight. Nearly every time they are catching them and eliminating them inside the 30 second window.

Also we are noticing that some AI units are following the players all around the map but they are typically 1500-2000 meters behind them but following the exact trail back to their bases and even splitting up or calling in other AI if the players split up. I am not completely sold that this is anything related to Incognito but it might be a simple communication link between Incognito and VCOM since we are running both on the server. We are investigating this further.

The latter I'm pretty sure has nothing to do with incognito. Sounds more like ALiVE. 

As for the former... I'd have to do another iteration of the script for that to work. How it works at the moment is, the AI needs to radio in not just that they are under attack, but also that they have a description of the units attacking them. This basically means they have to get a decent look at you and they can then relay your description. Might be that they only see your hat or jacket, or nothing at all (depends on how long they have clear line of sight). 

If you're killing everyone inside of 30 seconds then you're doing it right! I think it's fair to say that in a real life encounter the chaos of an ambush would prevent much relaying of detailed assailant descriptions within the first 30 seconds. That's just my take on it though; feel free to convince me otherwise. 

If it's too easy, I'd suggest first switching off easy mode, then there's always an element of guesswork which can make it possible to miss one last enemy who is able to get the description out without you knowing.

I can also have a look at the script again in the new year and see whether I can add in more customisation. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up. Also found what may be a little bit of a cross over from past code in ALiVE rearing its ugly head with your script now. Going to do a simple repro again and check but just so you can get a reference a long time ago ALiVE would spawn in units and backpacks would pop in where they had spawned. I have been noticing with civilian units that that are spawning in they are dropping backpacks on their spawn location again. The reason I bring this up is I lowered the number of armed civilians in your script from 70 percent down to 35 percent. The civilians are not bringing guns into the game but they are bringing in magazines for the pistols and long rifles I added to the array. I am going to test this one over the next couple of days and report back about it. If I find an issue I will post it to the GitHub.

Thanks dude. Yeah that sounds a bit suspect maybe. Good catch. In the meantime, if it's irritating, you can stop them spawning with backpacks at all in the setup I think. 

Hola. Heads up, I managed to track down an elusive bug that made enemies unresponsive after long play sessions. That's unfortunately an engine issue with the way it handles groups / respawns and setCaptive (although I can't find a reliable repro). But the plus side is I caught it and have written a hack / workaround for when it happens. So now, the script should work indefinitely on longer play sessions and will revert the undercover unit to the correct side each time the engine fucks it up for jokes. 

Here's version 1.21RC.

Changelog: 

• Fixed the issue with unresponsive enemies on longer / multi-session missions

• Any editor placed unit with "this setVariable ['isSneaky',true]" in its init will automatically be switched to the undercover unit's side and will function correctly as an undercover unit (after a short init period, so don't place near friendlies). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Alright, so I've managed to get a few multi-session Alive missions with this latest version and I'm pretty happy it's working as intended. I can't really be bothered to update the description and all that but 1.21RC is the most stable version released yet and hasn't had a single error or unintended behaviour in testing so far, so I'd recommend anyone using this script to treat this as a full release. You can never say it's completely bombproof due to the hacky nature of trying to work around the Arma engine, but it's probably as close as I can get without coding a full AI mod. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

after some testing I got this working. Really cool. One thing on my side: Most of the time the mouse menu options to check disguise, swap gear etc do not show. Only when I enter any inventory and then exit the options show. Any ideas? I run lots of mods and haven't checked w/out yet. 

Thanks! That's intended behaviour actually. It's to stop the action menu from constantly pinging up with new things all the time and to reduce the need for some of the checks for optimisation purposes. 

• Thanks 1

This is broken for me while trying to install on an ALiVE mission. When I move everything over as instructed, the script never initialized. I set my respawn timer to 25 seconds to getting just stuck on the "initializating..." pop up. I tried editing the description.ext and putting "\" in front of the #include paths and that crashed my game, with the error saying that the .hpp file couldn't be found. I tried moving the cfgFunctions and functionsWhitelist from the INC_undercover folder into the mission root, and that worked but still crashed because I can't put the same .hpp's from the INC_Persistence folder. 

author = "Fupus_Maximus";
OnLoadName = "Operation Desert Rat";
OnLoadMission = "A lone deniable US Special Forces soldier infils into Kenya to support local forces against Rebels.";
loadScreen = "africa.jpg";
enableDebugConsole = 1;
respawn = 3;
respawndelay = 25;
respawnTemplates[] = {"MenuPosition"};
aiKills = 0;
disabledAI = 1;
respawnDialog = 0;
respawnOnStart = 1;

class Extended_InitPost_EventHandlers {
     class CAManBase {
        init = "_this call (compile preprocessFileLineNumbers 'postInitXEH.sqf')"
    };
};

class CfgFunctions
{
    #include "INC_undercover\cfgFunctions.hpp"
};
{
    #include "INC_persist\cfgFunctions.hpp"
};

class CfgRemoteExec
{
   class Functions
   {
       mode = 2;
       jip = 1;
       #include "INC_undercover\functionsWhitelist.hpp"
   };
   {
       mode = 2;
       jip = 1;
       #include "INC_persist\functionsWhitelist.hpp"
   };
};

Hello. I'm running the debug for the script and everything seems to be behaving as normal, I just wanted to know what all the debug text means as I couldn't figure it all out for myself. 

c930251a563797442a919a8b0f8462df.png

The top 4 lines are pretty obvious, but I'm not sure about the last two.

Thanks.

Hey there, love the script! Was wondering if there is a simple, or at least point me in the right direction of removing all the player addActions. We do not use the "group go loud" and such, and find them to just be in the way. Thanks.

5. For each playable undercover unit, put this in their unit init in the editor:

```
this setVariable ["isSneaky",true,true];

I did this for unit designated, "Player" and a few others designated, "Playable" but only the, "Player" unit works.  Multiplayer seems to allow multiple, "live" players to join playable slots but I do single player.  That and in Eden I can't get the playable units working, even syncing them to the "Player" unit.  Is this normal or am I missing something?  Thanks!

P.S.  I'm setting up a long play mission with a central commander, several squads and a handful of covert operatives (a la incognito) but it's useless if only the one main unit can be affected by the Undercover mod.  I need that unit to remain safe at base while others do things like, scope out troop deployments in cities, infiltrate weapons factories, etc.  I don't want it to be, "game over" if one of them gets waxed.

Hopefully this is noticed.

Attempting to implement this system for our ALiVE mission and server, few issues. I get a "Captive Check Failed, Unit Side is Incorrect" in the sqf to choose the side I have it as "independent" and that is the unit placed.

I also get a error in game mentioning the gearHandler.sqf and it says "Error Undefined variable in expression: _return"

Any thoughts?

@Incontinentia

Hi, not sure if this thread is still active but I'm trying to implement this script into a mission.

Below is a pastebin of my UCR_setup.sqf. For some reason, enemies just don't want to engage with players. After pulling a gun while wearing a (non-safe) vest and shooting, they'll only occasionally engage me. I'm trying to set it up such that the enemy will be fairly suspicious from the get-go, and if the player pulls out a weapon they're instantly guns up and shooting. If they don a vest, they have maybe a few seconds of leeway before someone get suspicious enough to engage. In addition, I've got several restricted areas (markers with correct marker naming) that are supposed to be completely restricted unless a player is sneaking in with a uniform they've stolen. 

Players are OPFOR, enemies are BLUFOR. Players are specifically trying to blend in as civilians. Is there something I'm missing here?

https://pastebin.com/bX61M5si

Could someone find out if this is compatible with Global Mobilization? I'm in a rush in implementing this in 6 hours to a MP server...

sorry, i am little brazilian guy and my english is very bad, it's a google translator. 😞

I have a little problem with the latest version of your script, I really appreciate it if you can help me. I tried to find what may be causing it and I'm still looking, but so far without success. What happens is that I am invincible when the mission is started, and until I take the uniform of an enemy soldier or kill me (for Zeus), nothing can kill me. I believe it is something that is only loaded at script startup but I couldn't find it, I tried to force my respawn but that was not enough, apparently I need to "go through" the uniform change script for the invincibility to end. I'm using ALIVE MOD, ACE3, VCOM and RHS. Some of them may be causing this with your script.