Incontinentia

[Release] Incon Undercover: A comprehensive undercover / incognito simulation

I feel stupid but I just cannot get this script to work. I'm creating a Zeus mission with RHS, Ace, RDS civilians and I use Enigma script for ambient spawning civilians and traffic. But no matter what civilians I use, the enemy always shoots them dead. I edited the setup SQF files so the right faction would be undercover and I tested the enemy on various distances. I also get a lot of errors when I comment either Asymetric or Regular enemy out.

I am not a scripter so maybe somebody could explain this to me as I do not know what to do?

Managed to fix it myself. I thaught RDS civilians was also compatible but it was not.

On 12-3-2018 at 8:57 PM, Incontinentia said:

snip

So i've been working a lot with your mod recently but not being a modder/coder myself I did not know that there was a difference between single and multiplayer testing.
When I test my scenario in SP it all works fine. But in multiplayer nearly the entire script does not work. All it says is initializing undercover. It does not give me a status, debug or interaction options and when I go to zeus I do not see any units changing to civilian faction.

How can I fix this?

Hi barto300,

I'm currently building a mission that makes use of INCON Undercover. This mission is a RAVAGE+HEROS based survival sandbox which has the regular side (independent) and the asymetric side (east) set to be hostile to each other and hostile to BLUFOR. The mission can be played in SP with recruited AI teammates or in MP with five players.

Although a true MP test with more players than myself on the dedicated server has not yet taken place, I did extensive sessions in SP and alone on my rented dedi server.  Whenever I had debug set to true, I received the ingame messages in the lower left corner of the screen even when running the Mission on dedi server. Also the short info box about being incognito, compromised, suspicious etc. did appear in the upper right corner. I think this is meant to appear generally if you set INCON to "easy" wether you have debug on or not, but for me it only appeared in DP or MP alike when I had debug set to on.

But even when debug was off I could clearly see INCON working as intended for me and my AI teammates. As long as we had guns concealed and civvy clothes, we were not attacked by indfor or opfor if we kept a reasonable distance of about 20 m on a sunny day.

INCON is running smooth & reliable in my generally very script heavy mission - so maybe post your init.sqf and description.ext ere and we have a look?

On 17-7-2018 at 2:07 PM, tourist said:

Snip

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I forgot to edit my own. I found the solution to my problem. There is a issue with the respawn timer and the initialisation with the script. Turns out that the reason why it works in SP is because I instantly spawn as I start the test. But in the MP  test I had a respawn timer of about 3 seconds wich, turns out,  broke the script. I've been breaking my head on this problem for days but luckily found the solution through trial and error. I eventually set the respawn timer to 20/25 seconds so the script could initialise while I and other players are waiting to respawn.

Thanks for the help though! There was nothing wrong with your script. Only minor problem I have right now is that I get an error when the server gets set up. I think the error is about instant detection zones, but those still work fine for me when I test it after getting the error so it probably fixes itself.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 7:07 AM, tourist said:

Although a true MP test with more players than myself on the dedicated server has not yet taken place, I did extensive sessions in SP and alone on my rented dedi server.  Whenever I had debug set to true, I received the ingame messages in the lower left corner of the screen even when running the Mission on dedi server. Also the short info box about being incognito, compromised, suspicious etc. did appear in the upper right corner. I think this is meant to appear generally if you set INCON to "easy" wether you have debug on or not, but for me it only appeared in DP or MP alike when I had debug set to on.

But even when debug was off I could clearly see INCON working as intended for me and my AI teammates. As long as we had guns concealed and civvy clothes, we were not attacked by indfor or opfor if we kept a reasonable distance of about 20 m on a sunny day.

INCON is running smooth & reliable in my generally very script heavy mission - so maybe post your init.sqf and description.ext ere and we have a look?

We attempted to get Icon's script to work on our dedicated box but it breaks after we start getting respawns and players logging back in over the course of a persistent ALiVE mission. We haven't been able to figure out why it breaks though and we scrapped using it a long time ago. I have been working with the one from Belbo that is linked here  and it works on local hosting quite a lot like the incognito in the Antistasi missions which is probably the best I have seen so far. It is a simple copy and paste unless you wish to change up the types of clothing and equipment that is triggering not going incognito.

If you guys have Incon's script working on a dedicated box I would love to talk with you about it as we would much rather use his due to the way you can setup zones and such to get it functioning for our missions.

@Nichols: as it happens to be, my current mision is actually using ALiVE.  It's a very special kind of mission though which also has RAVAGE, HEROS SURVIVE and a bunch of other stuff in it.  PM me for details & what functionality you want to see in your mission or discuss in this thread if it's ok for thread starter/moderators.

@tourist I can take it to PM....in fact I will shoot our discord link to you and if you are so inclined you can feel free to post stuff in our mission development channel. We have a few guys from different communities that are in there that all use ALiVE and I can guarantee we will all learn something from each other.

On 19/07/2018 at 10:58 AM, barto300 said:

Thanks for the help though! There was nothing wrong with your script. Only minor problem I have right now is that I get an error when the server gets set up. I think the error is about instant detection zones, but those still work fine for me when I test it after getting the error so it probably fixes itself.

Cheers for going through all that testing. Sorry I wasn't around to help much but glad it's largely resolved. So just to check, there script doesn't work for instant respawns but it does with a 10+ second delay? I probably won't get the chance to fix that for a while if so but would be good to add to known issues so people can avoid it. 

Also, could you let me know what the error is? 

As for easy mode hints not showing up, I might have forgotten to code them for MP... I'll have a check! 

On 20/07/2018 at 1:02 PM, Nichols said:

If you guys have Incon's script working on a dedicated box I would love to talk with you about it as we would much rather use his due to the way you can setup zones and such to get it functioning for our missions.

I've done a fair bit of bug-fixing since the last version so maybe worth giving a brief re-run again. There were a few coding loopholes which have now been closed (particularly relating to getting in / out of vehicles). Also maybe making sure you have a reasonable respawn timer should make things easier. That said, I don't have a community to test this with so all testing is done on my own local dedicated server. It does a pretty good job of rooting out MP issues, but it isn't perfect. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 1:26 PM, Incontinentia said:

I've done a fair bit of bug-fixing since the last version so maybe worth giving a brief re-run again. There were a few coding loopholes which have now been closed (particularly relating to getting in / out of vehicles). Also maybe making sure you have a reasonable respawn timer should make things easier. That said, I don't have a community to test this with so all testing is done on my own local dedicated server. It does a pretty good job of rooting out MP issues, but it isn't perfect. 

@Incontinentia you are more than welcome to drop into our community and get whatever you would like to test tested. We have a dedicated Test Server setup for our upcoming missions and we try to use it as often as possible. It is closed to the outside world as we are working on stuff but we would be glad to test things for you. Drop me a PM if you are interested. As it stands I will grab the last one off the Github and pull it over to ours so we can use it for test purposes.

• Like 1

Thanks Nichols. I'm a bit pressed for time with Arma these days but I may well take you up on the when my next flurry of activity starts. 

For anyone interested, I've been adding the option for "high security" areas which require specific (user-defined) uniforms to enter without raising suspicion. See the setup.sqf file for how to put them in. This was a feature request from a while back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Incontinentia said:

For anyone interested, I've been adding the option for "high security" areas which require specific (user-defined) uniforms to enter without raising suspicion. See the setup.sqf file for how to put them in. This was a feature request from a while back. 

I've been waiting for this, mate!!!! It's a feature i "requested / wished for" long time ago...and now I can go on completing a WIP mission I was working on. THANK YOU BUD!!!!

• Like 1

Haha yeah, seeing as it was your request, I should probably ask -- did you want enemies to be instantly hostile or to be super suspicious instead? And did you want vehicles to be included in the check? 

1 hour ago, Incontinentia said:

Haha yeah, seeing as it was your request, I should probably ask -- did you want enemies to be instantly hostile or to be super suspicious instead? And did you want vehicles to be included in the check? 

As for my intended use, instant-hostile will do, and I have no use for vehicles..but I guess for anyone else the options extreme-suspicious or instant hostile + vehicles will be a wanted feature. Again, thank you bud.

• Like 1

Alright, well I got vehicles working, also it's pretty configurable. Essentially, you can now make it so if you are in a high security uniform you have different disguise rules to wearing normal enemy uniforms. Some possible configurations include: 

• Banning weapons from the high security area but allowed in other areas
  • Non-permitted items arousing suspicion (such as vests, headgear, HMD, etc) in the high security area but allowed outside
  • Units wearing high security uniforms not being allowed to carry weapons anywhere at all or arousing suspicion by wearing the wrong items (useful if the high security uniform is a civilian one)
  • Instant hostile or just highly suspicious when caught out
  • A configurable suspicion level per item... so if it's too sensitive, you can tone it down or ramp it up so any unusual item will pretty much lead to being instantly compromised... 

This probably sounds like mumbo jumbo but I had the scenario of a scientist / visiting businessman in mind. In this instance, a scientist carrying a weapon or wearing a helmet would be inappropriate, so you can set the script up for this scenario if you want. But equally, you can make sure that only officers (who could bring weapons in) can enter the high security area. It's pretty flexible and opens up quite a few possible gameplay / mission design options. 

As far as vehicles go, you have to specify which ones are allowed in. If they are enclosed (like a tank / APC, for instance), it won't matter what uniform the unit is wearing, but for more open vehicles you will attract a lot of attention if you aren't wearing the right uniform. For performance, I haven't gone for the full amount of checks that regular incognito units in vehicles get (where in the vehicle they are, whether turned out or not etc.) but it does a good enough job for what I suspect is a niche of a niche feature. 

I've also included a global suspicion level modifier as a cheeky bonus. This won't affect things like people dressed in civilian uniforms carrying weapons / entering off-limit areas / killing enemies etc., but it does mean that the global sensitivity for attracting attention if you look out of place can now be tuned to the mission. This can be used to simulate areas where people are perhaps more jumpy for instance. 

The last new feature to come in the next update is a more refined compromised script. Before, if anyone knew who you were at the time you were compromised, it was assumed that they also knew you were behaving suspiciously too, even if they hadn't necessarily directly seen that suspicious behaviour, and would therefore also be able to share your description if not killed before the timer ran out. Now, only groups who have actually seen you behaving suspiciously will be able to share your details. This means that if you walk around and recce an area full of enemy patrols while in disguise before quickly and quietly taking down one of those patrols before they radio in, the other patrols in the area will only find out about it if they actually see you doing it. Unfortunately, an engine limitation means pretty much all information is instantly shared between group members so if you are going to engage, make sure you kill the whole group before they can get the word out if you want to maintain your cover (or make sure the group members you kill don't see you doing it).

As a result of this change, the compromised state now ends much quicker, making stealth kills much easier. You can in theory walk past one guard, go around a corner, kill a different guard (with a suppressed weapon / subsonic ammo), and walk back around the corner past the first guard without him knowing it was you who did the killing. To balance this out, if there are a number of groups who do know about you in the area and people start dying inexplicably, you will quickly start attracting a lot of attention. This is even more the case if those groups know roughly where you are at the time people start dying. This level of suspicion will drop off quicker the further away you are from the scene of the crimes. So in the above scenario (the tale of two guards and one corner), the chances are very high that the living guard would pay you close attention if not compromise you immediately if he saw you again. But there's a lot of randomness in this so equally he might not suspect you enough and instead just let you go about your business. 

Basically, what we have now is fairly close to Hitman-style gameplay in Arma (in my opinion, it's actually a fair bit more detailed in some areas). Took a fair bit of work, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I'm going to do a bit more testing then release later tonight I think. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sounds very cool man!

Signing up for this when it drops....

^^^ +1 TO THIS!!!  

Sounds like some really awesome mission could be built soon!

Cheers! Also one more alteration to the compromised script... now a compromising group will only share your description if it has actually seen you in incognito / civilian clothes and knows what those clothes are. In other words, it waits until it has a description before sharing that description. So if it has compromised you briefly but then doesn't get a decent look at you, it won't be able to share your description to other units. This again opens up some interesting "ghosts in the forests" type game play options. 

I think any further dev cycles will probably just clean the code up or add more configuration options. There is a part of me that wants to make this into a mod but I have no idea how... 

Alright, download the next version here:  

Incon Undercover Version 1.2

See the commit history for a full changelog but in summary, this version adds high security areas and several refinements to the compromised and cooldown routines. It also adds a global suspicion level scalar which makes it easy to adjust the base suspicion levels of enemies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 05/07/2018 at 10:17 AM, barto300 said:

I feel stupid but I just cannot get this script to work. I'm creating a Zeus mission with RHS, Ace, RDS civilians and I use Enigma script for ambient spawning civilians and traffic. But no matter what civilians I use, the enemy always shoots them dead. I edited the setup SQF files so the right faction would be undercover and I tested the enemy on various distances. I also get a lot of errors when I comment either Asymetric or Regular enemy out.

I am not a scripter so maybe somebody could explain this to me as I do not know what to do?

Managed to fix it myself. I thaught RDS civilians was also compatible but it was not.

Just so anyone reading this is aware, RDS should work fine (I've used it with this script). 

Also, if you comment out any lines in the setup.sqf, the script will always break completely. That should never be necessary anyway (look at the comments next to each line in the setup to see how to not use an asym faction).

As far as respawn timers go, I've checked and 3 seconds is fine too? That's what I've been using and it's working reliably for me in the last few days (not one failure over several sessions). 

The checks and things you'll have to do manually for the most part. I've included an extra debug hint to show when undercover has completed init in the latest version but for compromised stuff, open and close your inventory and you'll get a action to check your disguise, that's where the hints show up. 

• Thanks 1

This script is exactly what I was looking for. This gave me a lot of scenarios in mind! However, I have one question, I want to make a mission were we enter in disguise to kill an enemy officer, but if something goes wrong and the enemy attack, the target then runs off. So, my question is, what is the code I need to run this from within a trigger?

I can't remember that exact trigger code you'd need but the unit variable is INC_isCompromised if you want the target to run only when units have been spotted. So maybe an area trigger with something like (untested/written while hungover): 

count (thislist select {(_x getVariable ["INC_isCompromised",false] && {_x getVariable ["INC_AnyKnowsSO",false]})}) > 0

That should trigger when a compromised unit is in the given trigger area and the enemy know about him. Hope it works! And sorry for the slow reply...

• Thanks 1

Well, it works! Thank you for your help and for this amazing script. Time to make some missions now. Haha

• Like 1