Sign in to follow this  
Rydygier

Armachinima: your evaluation systems and votes

Failed to find any topic allowing actual free discussion about Armachinima, so assuming, it's not against some contest rule, I overlooked (sorry, if so), here is one.

How did you choose your favourits amongst 130 entries and which?

To avoid spending too much time with watching each of 130 entries, I used two step evaluation:

1. Spent few hours in total across few days to check every entry which means watching each as long, as it took to make me confident, is there something in it or not. First 30 seconds usually are enough to sift the latter. This way I eventually bookmarked 17 "finalistis". 

2. Watched each of them and granted +'s in several categories (concept, visual, audio, camera work/montage, voice acting, music...). Then just sumed up pluses and voted on the three highest scores.

Still, I would prefer to have at least 5 votes, with three I was forced to leave out of podium few really worthy entries just because there was three even more worthy IMO.

I draw attention to the factors like: 

- is there any particular, original idea/thought behind or not and how it is told, 
- how authors are using a tool (Arma 3) to achieve desired result - how are used strengths and how avoided limitations, or how concept fits Arma engine possibilities, 
- how camera work/shots are done - is the story watchable as a movie, smoothly and understandable or awkward/chaotic, but also is camera work thoughtfully support desired effect or not (is it used as another artist's tool or not),
- how visuals looks like (choice/lack of post processing effects etc.),
- audio authenticity - very important to me as for immersion. For example if someone's voice in the open field sound like recorded in the small room - it's counted in minus. Attention to details and technical quality - radio comms, background etc,
- Music usage. How soundtrack supports the storytelling. If it's present, where should be and not present, where shouldn't, how it works with montage,

- the choice, with what scenes tell the story, what to show, what to omitt - storytelling dynamics,
- and of course the final result as a whole. What feeling/emotional response, if any, it induces in me. 

Pluses was granted according to system:

0 - nothing worthy of mentioning,

1 - above average machinima level,

2 - estimable machinima level,

3 - pro machinima level,

4 - IMO something above machinima expectations,

5 - real-deal movie-like quality. 

17 finalistis and their very subjective scores was:

Spoiler

1. The Choice
Concept +
Visual
Audio
Camera
Voice Acting +
Staging/storytelling
Music

Total: 2

2. Op. Bellérophon - Episode 2
Concept
Visual ++
Audio ++
Camera +
Voice Acting +
Staging +
Music +

Total: 8

3. Miller The Killer

Concept +++
Visual
Audio
Camera
Voice Acting
Staging +++
Music

Total: 6

4. Tanoa Red

Concept
Visual
Audio +
Camera ++
Voice Acting +
Staging +
Music

Total: 5

5. Force Closure

Concept ++
Visual
Audio ++
Camera +++
Voice Acting +++
Staging +++
Music +++

Total: 16

6. Recover

Concept
Visual +
Audio +++
Camera ++
Voice Acting +
Staging ++
Music +

Total: 10

7. Live By The Sword/Die By...

Concept
Visual 
Audio +
Camera +++
Voice Acting +
Staging +
Music +

Total: 7

8. Coming Home

Concept ++
Visual ++
Audio
Camera +
Voice Acting 
Staging +
Music 

Total: 6

9. Jungle

Concept +
Visual 
Audio
Camera 
Voice Acting +
Staging 
Music 

Total: 2

10. Brass

Concept 
Visual ++
Audio ++
Camera +
Voice Acting +
Staging +
Music 

11. East Wind

Concept 
Visual ++
Audio ++
Camera ++
Voice Acting +
Staging +
Music +

Total: 9

12. Katie

Concept ++
Visual
Audio
Camera
Voice Acting
Staging +
Music ++++

13. Home Sweet Home

Concept +++
Visual +
Audio +
Camera +
Voice Acting +++++
Staging +
Music

Total: 12

14. Operation Green Phantom

Concept
Visual +
Audio +++
Camera +
Voice Acting +
Staging 
Music ++

Total: 8

15. Mortuus Vivens

Concept +
Visual ++
Audio ++++
Camera +
Voice Acting ++
Staging ++
Music ++

Total: 14

16. Heart Of Steel

Concept +++
Visual ++
Audio ++++
Camera +++
Voice Acting ++
Staging +++
Music 

Total: 17

17. When Will It End

Concept +++
Visual +++
Audio
Camera ++
Voice Acting
Staging ++
Music +++++

Total: 15

And the "winners", to whom my votes went: Heart Of Steel (17), Force Closure (16)When Will It End (15)

• Like 2

I took hour or two to watch as many entries as I could. I didn't watch them fully, some seconds here and there and the beginning is already enough to see if the video gets in the top list.

I've currently 15 videos in my list. I bet I missed one or two good ones because I didn't watch like 30 of them.

Now I'd need to watch them fully and drop off some more.

3 votes is pretty low in that many entries. Need to give some focus in the next week.

That's some really elaborate process. Mine was much simpler - a name and a snapshot would decide if I'm going to watch the video at all, and after that I just took tree finalists from all the videos I watched based on:

1.) Original idea and nice execution of it.

Spoiler

Wanderlust.

2.) Impressive directing.

Spoiler

Brass.

3.) Proper story, interwoven into Arma lore; and a very good voice acting on a professional level.

Spoiler

Force Closure.

I spent about two hours to watch the entries, I chose to start with those that have more "artistic" titles and it seems that was not a bad idea, because it turned out to have a more quality content, in my opinion of course.

Spoiler

When Will It End -- concept

Heart of Steel -- visual, camera, concept

The Choise -- concept

For me, my primary vote is Op. Bellérophon - Episode 2 for origininality of game content use, introduction of women and usage of a diversity of languages (In addition to the rest say above).

I'm glad this thread was started. I wanted to have this very discussion after casting my votes on the 14th.

Watched all of them all the way through just in case they 'kicked' in at some point. Having made similar videos in the past, I realize how much work goes into these and wanting to give everyone the respect they deserved.

Although I looked for much of what Rydygier outlined, I relied much more on whether the video moved along and connected the dots. Particularly liked the videos which included voice acting and of course (and has been said before) those that fleshed out the Arma lore.

To give an idea of what I enjoyed, some of my picks were;

Spoiler

Bold

Force Closure

Recover

Brass

and one more I didn't write down :(

Have to say, it was amazing work across many of the submissions and I could've voted for a few more! High standards in the competition!

well, in arma fashion, i spend way more than 30 seconds before declare something "not very good".
(probably its why i still have not seen all videos)
anyway in general i like more the plot than the simple "showcases", so for me :
- miller the killer    (too fun)
- si vis pacem para bellum   (nice story)

the rest seems all a bit "clones"....dunno...maybe its me too bored by stereotypes! :)

hope to find a good third to give my vote to !

My favorite is Miller The Killer. I am in the competition and I voted for that one and two others. Some amazing entries, the Arma community is awesome!

The main thing I looked for was something that kept me hooked and had originality compared to the rest of the entries. Miller The Killer had that, it was different from everything else, very well done, and the guy used his own custom made animations for the video which made the degree of difficulty higher. Its just downright funny too lol

• Like 1

Miller The Killer, although finally I gave my votes elsewhere, for me stays surely most funny, sadly there wasn't separate category for comedy. BTW there was too few funny entries. And indeed too often was cliches like: situation occured, galant specfor troops sent, job done. The more valuable becomes an original, non-cliche idea. 

There may be different philosophies, but I paid more attention on the overall finest final result rather than effort put into, although often the latter leads to the first. 

• Like 1

Nice, thread, Rydygier - your thorough process and scoring system has inspired me to try something similar! I did have a chuckle at Miller the Killer too :D