Sign in to follow this  
Hvymtal

Ephiphany: Project Orange may be Commander DLC

we're very much interested in exploring an interesting and unique perspective on the battlefield

The high command tools for arma 3 are basically nonexistent - barring cheater-mode Zeus - and those for Arma 2 were a total mess, leaving this position neglected and any sort of public game a total insert-die-repeat clusterfuck (admittedly with a competent commander this would still be the case good tools or not but still). But with Arma 3 we have vastly improved aircraft and recon assets, the primary direct-impact assets of the commander.

This would also fit nicely into some of the other statements

This year, we opened a new studio in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. With the goal of gradually building up experience, work has started on a small project, codenamed 'Orange'. While the exact direction isn't final, we're very much interested in exploring an interesting and unique perspective on the battlefield. It’s shaping up to be a valuable, innovative addition to the platform!

Commander tools would be a small player interface project that could be derived from Zeus, the exact direction wouldn't be final at the time of the roadmap since they wouldn't know what the end result would play and look like, and it would be valuable for obvious reasons and innovative since previous BI games haven't had decent commander or base-building tools

I might just be crazy (Okay I already am but that is beside the point), but maybe improved battlefield commander tools is what Orange may be all about

My usual reaction to DLC speculations is as follows: what goes behind the paywall? What would you put behind the paywall?

• Like 3

Probably the whole interface to help finance the new studio, albeit at $10 or less considering the unlikelihood of any significant amount of premium objects, items, etc (blue force tracker tablet for $10 LOL). Then again, I'm more calling out a theme, rather than specific details; we'll have to see what they do. For example, if they do base building, the infantry could be able to use a channeled action to help build the object in question, while the act of placing it would be behind the commander paywall

17 minutes ago, Hvymtal said:

Probably the whole interface to help finance the new studio, albeit at $10 or less considering the unlikelihood of any significant amount of premium objects, items, etc (blue force tracker tablet for $10 LOL).

I would hardly consider a pseudo Zeus interface as premium content.

But as part of a free platform update included with the premium content (aka actual assets)? Sure.

Then again, I'm more calling out a theme, rather than specific details; we'll have to see what they do. For example, if they do base building, the infantry could be able to use a channeled action to help build the object in question, while the act of placing it would be behind the commander paywall

Construction Interface (CoIN) was already available in A2 and it came with the base game plus other goodies like the SecOps module. I don't see why this would (and should) cost anything given that it's something that numerous mods and missions already have and can do through scripts.

CoIN is not available in Arma 3 though, that's kinda the point of that bit of speculation. Again, I'm not trying to speculate what the thing would be, I'm trying to use an example of what would be behind the paywall. Besides, there have already been numerous features added by DLC that have and could be done through scripts but are so much cleaner an nicer when integral to the game; Firing from vehicles, sling loading, vehicle in vehicle, controlling multiple weapon systems from one seat, single-seat aircraft optical sensor pods, rifle stabilization, etc. Note I also said $10 or less.

But would you be paying "$10 or less" for, again, what would amount to be a pseudo Zeus interface? Is that really the kind of premium content that you would want in a DLC?

Especially when Bohemia's been pretty clear that so far the paywall has been for vehicle crew seats, weapon pickups, notifications, Tanoa, and SP content (plus the Apex Protocol co-op campaign) so the Jets and Tanks DLCs should nearly fit into this, as would Malden (even if it is free) and Tac-Ops if it's all SP/co-op content... no idea how a 'commander-focused' Orange fits here unless it's about SP/co-op content.

• Like 1

Any speculation was to what Project Orange is... is just that, speculation. I can't see why people cannot just admit that we need to wait and see. The wording is far too vague to make any predictions as to what "exploring an interesting and unique perspective on the battlefield" actually means. You could project anything onto that phrase.

• Like 1

Hey, fuck Heavy for throwing his idea out there, let's all buzzkill him to hell and back, since nobody is allowed to speculate about jack shit and we have to sit here, twiddle our thumbs, and not think about anything while we wait here completely in the dark

Jerks

As others have said, speculation is largely pointless ... but fun.

I honestly have no idea what the Orange DLC will be, it could well be a command and control option without the 'god mode' of Zeus. I had a couple of far-fetched ideas early on based off the 'new perspective' description:

1. What perspective is completely absent in-game? What segment making up 50% of humankind? It's been long requested, though it wouldn't add much to the gameplay except for roleplaying and it would take a LOT of work, but female models with vests, uniforms and voices would be worthy of a DLC, if not the most popular DLC.

2. There's been a lot more interest in the fate of civilians during war - "This war of mine" is one example of recent games on this theme. A DLC adding a civilian, survival in the midst of conflict campaign and/or gameplay modes would be a perspective that Arma has never explored. Though I don't really know how it would actually work, it's definitely something different to what's come before.

random question. was there ever an official Zeus mode that was TvT with each team haaving a zeus on their side (with limited resources of course)?

i remember some zeus vs zeus but i can't remember, if there ever was one with a team of boots on the ground players on each side too. i imagine that being a lot of fun, if done right.

6 hours ago, bad benson said:

random question. was there ever an official Zeus mode that was TvT with each team haaving a zeus on their side (with limited resources of course)?

i remember some zeus vs zeus but i can't remember, if there ever was one with a team of boots on the ground players on each side too. i imagine that being a lot of fun, if done right.

I remeber there being one for the MANW comp but I think it died off after.

I have something similar semi concepted out based around a CnC Generals style gameplay but am a bit too busy to get it off the ground at this point.

Would love to play a game mode like it though

• Like 2

Zeus is basically a high commander.. What would be a point of that???

14 hours ago, GBee2 said:

As others have said, speculation is largely pointless ... but fun.

I honestly have no idea what the Orange DLC will be, it could well be a command and control option without the 'god mode' of Zeus. I had a couple of far-fetched ideas early on based off the 'new perspective' description:

1. What perspective is completely absent in-game? What segment making up 50% of humankind? It's been long requested, though it wouldn't add much to the gameplay except for roleplaying and it would take a LOT of work, but female models with vests, uniforms and voices would be worthy of a DLC, if not the most popular DLC.

2. There's been a lot more interest in the fate of civilians during war - "This war of mine" is one example of recent games on this theme. A DLC adding a civilian, survival in the midst of conflict campaign and/or gameplay modes would be a perspective that Arma has never explored. Though I don't really know how it would actually work, it's definitely something different to what's come before.

The second one can be done with user-created missions about as well as BI can minus the voice acting and polish. The first one, though is a very interesting possibility

15 hours ago, war_lord said:

Did you want a pat on the head and a lollipop?

If you don't like to speculate, don't buzzkill it for those of us who do. Sorry we can't all be as cynical as you are

It's not cynicism, it's logic. Your speculation doesn't even make sense, it's just something you personally want.

On 2/17/2017 at 1:30 AM, bad benson said:

there was a mode but good luck trying to find 30+ players who want to be 'pawns' in a Zeus chess game.

I have often thought the High Command system could do with a refurb, its pretty dated as it is, many parts non-functional even.

On 2/17/2017 at 1:30 AM, bad benson said:

there was a mode but good luck trying to find 30+ players who want to be 'pawns' in a Zeus chess game.

I have often thought the High Command system could do with a refurb, its pretty dated as it is, many parts non-functional even.