I've noticed two issues with UAVs in ARMA 3, one of the issues just started within the past few ARMA updates, the other issue has been persistant through all the past few years from what I can tell.

The newest issue is that when flying any of the UAVs and then using the UAV PIP camera so you can see the UAV while your walking around seems to be broke.

It still technically works but instead of using the "Gunner" camera view it now uses the "Driver" camera view. In the past it has always used the gunner and not the driver view.

One of the recent updates must have had a bug that reversed this which isn't good at all and pretty much makes the UAV PIP useless because all you see is the driver's view which is most of the time clouds and sky, so you don't actually see the gunners view which is pointed at the ground, even when the gunner is locked onto a specific area or target, you still only get the drivers view of the sky.

The second issue which has been going on for some time is the shaking on the camera. I know this has been reported in the past but haven't heard anything about fixing it.

A few people said to disable camera shake because it is caused by the UAV shaking because of the geforces in the sky, other people say uncheck autonomous while looking around for targets, and others say make a script to limit the UAV speed so that the geforces don't affect the camera. This issue should be worked on because it is very very hard to look around/aim/lock on to targets with the camera spazzing out all the time to an unbearable degree. It is most visable when using the Greyhawk to loiter around the AO. I'm pretty sure this has to be a bug and not built that way because I'm sure modern UAVs have stabailizer systems in place so they don't shake AS BAD as the ones in ARMA 3 do.

Regarding the second issue. I hop the devs are now aware of the issue because in their last dev blog post they mentioned an article about UAVs and if they read the article there is a whole section about how they are a little broken:

http://www.mudspike.com/a3-drone-warfare/

Under the "Sentient drones…" sections of the above article, which states that it might be due to the fact that the terrain elevation is different so the UAV is trying to maintain consistent altitude which sounds like a good theory on the issue, not sure if its right or if its a combination of items that affect it.

Really hope they overhaul the UAVs tho, maybe as a patch or included in the fixes that come with the future Jets DLC.

The shaking has always been annoying. But the PIP bug with the UAV camera makes this feature completely pointless. Fix please BIS!

• Like 1

I love how responsive the devs are to my support threads.

Everytime I post the next update or two fixes the issues.

In the update today (1.68) I found these two items in the change log.

• Fixed: Gunship / UAV gunner optics were shaking when the pilot maneuvered an aircraft in multiplayer.
  • Fixed: UAV gunner optics were shaking when the FPS was low

I have yet to test them but lets hope they work better now!

Doesn't include anything about the last update breaking the PIP for UAVs but hopefully maybe they included that in this one as well and just left it out of the changelog?

• Haha 1