Hello everyone,

SO basically we have init.sqf, onplayerrespawn.sqf, initserver.sqf and so on. Is there a similar one I can create for AIs. 

The reason I want to do so is instead of definiing the AIs gear every time i spawn the unit I can just place it in the init. this way whenever the AI spawns his gear gets changed to the custom gear I specified

If you edit a units gear with the Eden editor and use a respawn script like upmon  for multiple waves of that group the gear should stay as you setup. I am almost positive about that.

Just now, Mr. Birdman said:

If you edit a units gear with the Eden editor and use a respawn script like upmon  for multiple waves of that group the gear should stay as you setup. I am almost positive about that.

Thing is Birdman I am creating all the AIs using scripts, i am barely using the eden editor for anything

3 minutes ago, BlacKnightBK said:

Thing is Birdman I am creating all the AIs using scripts, i am barely using the eden editor for anything

Then change the gear of the unit inside the script that creates them.

Don't see the problem here.

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Then change the gear of the unit inside the script that creates them.

Don't see the problem here.

Cheers

There is no problem there, that is already the way i am doing it, however after setting up the gear i decided that i want to twist the gear a bit more. Now I have to go through over 8 files to change the gear for all of them, I am trying to find an easier way.

I want to set the gear for example  of the squad leader in one file.

every time i need to spawn a squad leader i just call this file to change his gear.

If you have to edit 8 files manually when wanting to change the gear of a unit then you might want to rethink your approach.

Have one function to spawn units, then another function to assign layouts depending on input parameters.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

If you have to edit 8 files manually when wanting to change the gear of a single unit then you might want to rethink your approach.

Have one function to spawn units, then another function to assign layouts depending on input parameters.

Cheers

How?

Like this:

BK_fnc_setLoadout = {

//changes a units loadout
	params ["_unit", "_loadout"];

if (_loadout isEqualTo "SQUADLEADER") then {

//your gear stuff here

};

//add as many outfit types as you want as separate if then statements.

};

BK_fnc_spawnUnit = {

//params and code to spawn unit here, i.e.:
	params ["_group","_unitType","_position","_loadout"];
	_unit = _group createUnit [_unitType,_position,[],0,"NONE"];
	_loadout = [_unit,_loadout] call BK_fnc_setLoadout;

};

You could call it like this:

_newGroup = creategroup west;
_unitType = typeOf player;
_position = getPosATL player;
_loadout = "SQUADLEADER";
_spawn = [_newGroup,unitType,position,_loadout] call BK_fnc_spawnUnit;

If you already figured out how to spawn units via script and change their loadouts there's not much to it.

This way you could also spawn units in a loop and pick a random loadout each time, as long as the loadout is defined within BK_fnc_setLoadout:

_newGroup = creategroup west;
_unitType = typeOf player;
_position = getPosATL player;
for "_i" from 1 to 12 do {

_loadout = selectRandom ["Rifleman1","Rifleman2","Rifleman3","Rifleman4"];
	_spawn = [_newGroup,unitType,position,_loadout] call BK_fnc_spawnUnit;

};

Pretty basic,

Cheers

• Like 1

@Grumpy Old Man Thanks mate. I think i kind of get it. However getting late here i will try to work on it tomorrow

Hopefully will get it right, if i do you have just opened for me a new world in arma scripting

Hey @Grumpy Old Man, i think I got the script done right. I try to spawn a whole squad however only the first unit gets spawned and i get a generic error. 
I have made some twists to the script you gave me above so it would fit my needs and i hope i did them right. So here is exactly what I have done.

I created the loadouts for 4 different units (My recon Squad) and called them as follows 

_unit1 = [_reconsquad,"O_T_Recon_M_F",_randomspawnpos,"RECON_MARKSMAN"] call YI_fnc_spawnAiUnit;
_unit0 = [_reconsquad,"O_recon_TL_F",_randomspawnpos,"RECON_SQUADLEADER"] call YI_fnc_spawnAiUnit;
_unit2 = [_reconsquad,"O_recon_medic_F",_randomspawnpos,"RECON_MEDIC"] call YI_fnc_spawnAiUnit;
_unit3 = [_reconsquad,"O_recon_F",_randomspawnpos,"RECON_SCOUT"] call YI_fnc_spawnAiUnit;

Now only unit1 spawns and he does spawn with teh correct gear and class name, however i get a generic error for _unit1 and the rest do not spawn.

13 hours ago, BlacKnightBK said:

@Grumpy Old Man Thanks mate. I think i kind of get it. However getting late here i will try to work on it tomorrow

Hopefully will get it right, if i do you have just opened for me a new world in arma scripting

Glad to hear.

Post the rest of the related scripts, especially the content of YI_fnc_spawnAiUnit, since it's impossible to tell from the snippet you posted.

Also check for the correct unit types, since they're case sensitive.

Cheers

10 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Glad to hear.

Post the rest of the related scripts, especially the content of YI_fnc_spawnAiUnit, since it's impossible to tell from the snippet you posted.

Also check for the correct unit types, since they're case sensitive.

Cheers

I fixed the issue this way

[_reconsquad,"O_recon_TL_F",_randomspawnpos,"RECON_SQUADLEADER"] call YI_fnc_spawnAiUnit;
[_reconsquad,"O_T_Recon_M_F",_randomspawnpos,"RECON_MARKSMAN"] call YI_fnc_spawnAiUnit;
[_reconsquad,"O_recon_medic_F",_randomspawnpos,"RECON_MEDIC"] call YI_fnc_spawnAiUnit;
[_reconsquad,"O_recon_F",_randomspawnpos,"RECON_SCOUT"] call YI_fnc_spawnAiUnit;

Apparently I cannot assign the units a variable for some reason which is fine by me for now, however i am afraid in the future I will need them to be assigned a variable each depending on what their job is

As for my  YI_fnc_spawnAiUnit  here it is:

YI_fnc_spawnAiUnit = {

params ["_squad","_unitType","_position","_loadout"];
	_unit = _squad createUnit [_unitType,_position,[],0,"NONE"];
	_loadout = [_unit,_loadout] call YI_fnc_setAiLoadout;

};

Ah, I see.

If you want to refer to something outside of its scope you can simply return it, no matter the data type (Array, string, object, etc.).

In your case simply put _unit at the very end, then it will be the returned value of that function:

YI_fnc_spawnAiUnit = {

_unit
};

Doing this:

_unit1 = [_reconsquad,"O_recon_TL_F",_randomspawnpos,"RECON_SQUADLEADER"] call YI_fnc_spawnAiUnit;

Should return the unit as _unit1.

Cheers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Ah, I see.

If you want to refer to something outside of its scope you can simply return it, no matter the data type (Array, string, object, etc.).

In your case simply put _unit at the very end, then it will be the returned value of that function:

YI_fnc_spawnAiUnit = {

_unit
};

Doing this:

_unit1 = [_reconsquad,"O_recon_TL_F",_randomspawnpos,"RECON_SQUADLEADER"] call YI_fnc_spawnAiUnit;

Should return the unit as _unit1.

Cheers

Thanks, I thought that was the issue but tried to fix it wrong.

Tried doing it like I used to in C++ back in my course as

return _unit;

• Like 1