Sign in to follow this  
PSC

Aaep

I'm working on an Amphibious Assault Expansion Pack (AAEP) for Soviet forces in OFP.

I'm planning to include the following units:

1) KA-29 Helix "B" Helicopter

2) BTR-80 Transporter

3) Ivan Rogov Class Landing Ship (only if it will be possible to take off/land on it with a helicopter, or if it is possible to make use of the bow- stern- ramps to embark/disembark vehicles/smal ships)

4) Some retextured new infantrie units like Navy Pilot, Navy soldier, seaman...

Here are some pictures of what I've done so far:

BTR-80 Picture 01

BTR-80 Picture 02

BTR-80 Picture 03

KA-29 Picture 01

KA-29 Picture 02

Unfortunately I'm not good at scripting-stuff (config.cpp and stuff like that). If I will not be capable to finish the addons, I would apreshiate any help I could get.

Till later, PSC

*edit*

By the way, all models fit into the time the original OFP takes place (1985). For me this is quite importand.

I would apreshiate if you wait a little more with that Antichrist (and anybody else too of course), since I don't know yet if I'm really going to release these addons in the future. Some things that are importand for me are not yet clear (MLOD, ODOL, what Filbank can do, etc.).

And I would not like it to make peoples mouth water with some screenshots, but do not release anything at all.

And, by the way, a little "surprise effect" with a fully working expansion pack would be nice as well.

Thanks anyways that you asked for that AC!

Till later, PSC

no probs

As i said before no info is going to come out of this forum until I am given a green light smile.gif

Thanks! I'm looking forward to get them into the game too.

PSC

Nice done PSC!

I'm a fan of Russian hardware so I'm offering you my help for the .CPP code! Also if you dont understand something about modelling I'll help if I can (know)!

P.S.: You should consider making the BMP-3N - the navalised version of the mighty BMP-3 for Russian Navy!!! I plan later to build the whole BMP3 family so we can collaborate...

FlipeR

Thanks FlipeR! I just established a red-phone on my desktop with a direct connection to you. So I'll call you if I need help wink.gif

By the way, this will be my next model for that AAEP. It's not really a millitary object, but will be of some use maybe.

Oil Rig

Till later, PSC

I like your policy not to rush things and make sure it works before telling about it smile.gif

The BTR looks totally cool. It's really missing in OFP and I hope you'll finish it.

Antichrist, I've edited the picture and added a helicopter which you can use as referrence on how big it could be in the game. But I don't know exactly yet how big it's going to be (I'll try that out later).

Till later, PSC

I bet Svetlana is your girlfriend's name tounge.gif

FlipeR

Ah FlipeR, I wish it would be like that. Unfortunately it's not (I don't dare to say, but I'm single). The name just came into my mind, and I thought it would just perfectly fit as a name for an oilrig.

And I've got some new textures for the BTR-80 I'm working on. I think I like it more if it has an uni-colore-camo. This is how it looks now:

vehicle_04.jpg

Till later, PSC

Ok, finished textures now for BTR-80.

PSC

*edit*

P.S.: There is a new question concerning multiplayer games that just came into my mind. In a CTF game, when you capture the enemy flag and get into a vehicle, the flag is visible on the outside of the vehicle. My question is: how can we mark the position the flag should be on the vehicle (for instance, hung at the antenna...)? Do we need the 3D modell of the flag? Or do we simply have to mark a vertice in the memory-LOD as position for the flag? And how's the selection called?

Thanks in advance, PSC

Take a look into the other vehicles: They have certain faces for group/clan/squad signs and proxies for the flag biggrin.gif

By the way: Your BTR just looks awesome!! Would you share it with LostBrothers when it's finished?? YOu can choose what you want to have in exchange from us wink.gif

I made it to import the the vehicle and textures into oxygene. I've done 4 resolution LOD's, one reduced model I will use for geometry/memory/hitpoints/etc. LOD's, and one interiour LOD. This is how it will look (hopefully) in OFP when it will be ready:

vehicle_05.jpg

But I've got a little question on how I should handle the front window hatches. What you think, should I close them or leave them open. Since it was not possible to open/close them at the BRDM I guess it will not be possible at my BRT too. So if I close them completely I could get rid of that reduced interiour and safe some polys for performance. On the other hand it looks better if they are opened. Anyone got a good idea on how to handle that?

Vipheart, I would give it to you (your mod) if you will retexture it and maybe modify it a little to make something new of it. Otherwise it would be kinda redundant.

AC, I dunno when it will be released. Actually I wanted to finish all the models I'm planing to include into the AAEP, and release them as one big package. And I want to save them as ODOL as well. So at least I have to wait till Filebank comes out.

Till later, PSC

I think its better to leave those front window hatches opened!

You can make the low-poly interior from the one you're building for the interior LOD! only some textures, 2 sits and a steering wheel!?

FlipeR

Thanks FlipeR for your idea. I've already done both the high-detail and low-detail interiours. A bit of a seat is even visible on one of the pictures I've included. My problem is that those windows in combat are kind of balistic holes if you leave them open (thats the reason why they left them out at the BTR-90). And if you have open windows there is no need to be able to turn out (at least not in OFP). But I wanted to include that turn in/out feature into that model. On the other hand, on most of the pictures I've seen from BTR's the window-hatches were opened, and the model looks better like that. So what should I do? These really are the essential questions life offers you to quest for an answer. To be or not to be... tounge.gif

Till later, PSC

I made the version with 14,5mm MG. The BTR-80 (14,5mm + 7,62mm) was introduced in 1984. So it will fit into the timeline of the game. The BTR-80A, which has the 30mm Cannon, was introduced in 1994 as far as I know. So it's too new for the game.

Till later, PSC

<OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" WIDTH=200 HEIGHT=50><PARAM NAME=MOVIE VALUE=http://dm.hfk-bremen.de/PSC/btr-80/btr-80_ingame.swf><PARAM NAME=PLAY VALUE=TRUE><PARAM NAME=LOOP VALUE=TRUE><PARAM NAME=QUALITY VALUE=HIGH><EMBED SRC=http://dm.hfk-bremen.de/PSC/btr-80/btr-80_ingame.swf WIDTH=200 HEIGHT=50 PLAY=TRUE LOOP=TRUE QUALITY=HIGH></EMBED></OBJECT>

btr80_ingame_2[1].jpg

Just to keep you up to date smile.gif

Till later, PSC

Some info about BTR-80 and its versions:

BTR-80 Armored Personnel Carrier

The BTR-80 is the successor to the BTR-70 and has several significant improvements over the earlier wheeled APCs. The BTR-80 retains the same, boat-shaped hull front, and sloped sides, although the rear deck has been reconfigured by raising the rear and squaring off the rearward-sloping engine compartment. The side-half doors of the BTR-70 have been replaced by full side doors, and the firing ports have been modified to face forward. The BTR-80 has a hull of all-welded steel armor construction. The twin gas engines of the BTR-70 have been replaced by a single, more-powerful diesel engine which give the BTR-80 better performance and lower the risk of fire. The turret, which is similar to that on the BTR-60PB and BTR-70, is armed with the 14.5-mm KPV heavy machine gun and coaxial 7.62-mm PKT machine gun. This turret is improved in that it can be elevated to +60 degrees compared to the +30 degrees of earlier vehicles. The sighting system for the machineguns is improved as well. There are six 81-mm smoke mortars mounted on the rear of the turret which can be fired from inside the vehicle. The full side doors of the BTR-80 are positioned between the second and third axles of the vehicle. Each side door consists of an upper half which opens forward, and the lower half which opens down and forms a step ladder for troops entering or exiting. The upper half of the door is also fitted with a firing port. The crew of the BTR-80 consists of a commander, gunner and driver, and can carry seven infantry men. There are three forward-facing firing ports along the length of the hull, one at the front of the vehicle for the commander, and two in the roof hatches. The front two firing ports are designed for the 7.62-mm PK general purpose machine guns. The remaining firing ports are designed for AKMS/AK-74 individual weapons. The BTR-80 is fully amphibious and has a front-mounted winch, overpressure NBC system, night vision equipment and a central tire-pressure regulation system.

VARIANTS:

BTR-80K This is the commander's variant of the BTR-80, and is equipped with an 11 meter telescopic mast. The vehicle enables the commander of a motorized rifle battalion to control his unit and maintain communications with the regimental commander. For this purpose it is fitted with two R-163-50U VHF radio sets, two R-159 remote VHF radio sets, and a TNA4-6 type navigational device with an indicator board.

BTR-80UNSh The UNSh variant of the BTR-80 was developed as a common base for command and staff duties, for fire control and radar vehicles as well as for mobile radio communication posts. With a wider and raised superstructure, the vehicle gives greater space for operators and additional equipment.

BTR-80 Medical Vehicles The BTR-80UNSh vehicle has been adapted to a series of medical vehicles. BMM-1 is a medical evacuation vehicle, BMM-2 is a battalion medical station, and the BMM-3 is a mobile dressing station with a team of doctors and an AP-2 set of equipment. Up to four casualties on stretchers can be carried inside the hull, and an additional 12 can be housed in an attached tent.

RKhM-4 Chemical and reconnaissance vehicle.

2S23 Self-Propelled 120-mm Combination Howitzer-Mortar Available details of this are given in the Self-Propelled guns and howitzers section.

BTR-80A This vehicle incorporates a new turret system which is referred to as the modular weapon station (MWS). The MWS is of all welded steel construction. Mounted externally on the top of the turret is the same 30-mm 2A42 cannon that is fitted to the BMP-2. A PKT 7.62-mm machine-gun is mounted coaxially to the right of the 30-mm cannon. Mounted on either side of the cannon is a bank of three 81-mm electrically operated, forward firing smoke grenade launchers. Turret traverse is through 360? with weapon elevation being between -5 and +70?. Although it lacks the protection level of the BMP-2, the BTR-80A has the advantage of a higher road speed and range and, therefore greater strategic mobility.

BREM-K The recovery version of the BTR-80 (8 x 8) APC is referred to as the BREM-K, although it also has the designation GAZ-59033. Standard equipment includes an A-frame, which, tow bars, small stowage platform to the turret rear and stabilizers under the nose of the vehicle. This vehicle is not armed.

FlipeR

biggrin.gif He he AC, I fear it is still classified. I managed to get it in game yesterday, but it still has a lot of bugs that need to be wiped out. For instance, I need to fix those damn proxy positions for the crew/cargo. Befor I do that I should finish the interiour. It's about 85% done (I've found some new pictures of the turret section and had to remodel the existing one I allready had). To get the vehicle ingame I used a config.cpp from a truck. That means it has no turret, no hatches, and the second steering axis does not work (same as with the scud, if you take a closer look at the second axis). These are all problems I have to solve before I can/will release it. And that mean probably still a lot of time before that happens.

Till later, PSC