I'm reminded of a quote I once heard, though I cannot for the life of me remember who said it:

"Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one and most of them stink"

Your opinion is that NIArms is better than JSRS. You are entitled to that opinion. Some will agree, others will disagree.

There are a few "unwritten rules" of this community - one of which is don't bash another's work when you don't produce anything yourself. As @PTV-Jobo so succinctly put it,

It is ever so easy to squat over and take a sh*t on others work feeling self-entitled while doing absolutely nothing for the community of value themselves. If you think your viewpoint and perspective carries such value, why not stop

being a lazy bum and present the community with an alternative sound modification? You seem to know a lot how things should correctly and accurately sound, so what is stopping you from actually putting into the work and doing it for the rest of us to enjoy, Mickeymen? Or are you yet another one of these want to talk the talk but never walk the walk types?

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong or you yourself are wrong to have it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, its a free country (unless you're from North Korea, but then you wouldn't be on the internet)....

However, the way you've gone about presenting your opinion (advertising NIArms in the JSRS thread and basically saying @LordJarhead "can do better") isn't "friendly advice" at all, its just bull💩...

• Like 4

On 8/13/2020 at 11:12 AM, Bukain said:

Go play Niarms' AR and HK sounds yourself. They sounded more like spanking to me lol like "phapahpah pahn!!!!"

That's just your personal taste. LordJarhead created a mod that suited his taste which other people like and if you don't like it then simply don't use it same with graphics and particle mods. Don't go around telling people that they should change there taste to suit yours it looks bad.

• Confused 1

On 8/13/2020 at 3:00 PM, LordJarhead said:

Oh boy, here we go again.

The same thing happens that always happens: You compare it to other mods!

JSRS is not a mod that should sound like XYZ; it's designed after my personal touch and my particular way of experimenting with sounds. That after "all these years," suddenly everything seems like kindergarten makes me doubt your objective judgment.

I hope you enjoy NiArms, and it's okay if you don't like JSRS anymore. But never put the "order" one "should" do this or that with JSRS. JSRS is a free modification; it's not intended to follow your orders. It doesn't exist to please YOU. It offers an alternative, and if you like it, great, if not, then not. Nevertheless, the mod should not bend according to your ideas but rather WITH your thoughts, with constructive feedback. But not like this.

I'm pretty tired of listening to everything that is "wrongly." It is my hobby to create sounds and not to fulfill your wishes. If you have constructive feedback, please add it to the table. But don't force me to give you what you want. Ever.

Now I have become a bit abusive and apologize for it, but my patience has been used lately, not least because of the circumstances with worldwide events. JSRS has not been processed adequately on my part for several weeks and months. I am busy with more important things.

And you can save yourself something like that in the future. It's not the right thing to convince other people that someone is terrible or worse. If that's your view, feel free to say so. But please, calling each user to follow your ideas of right and wrong is beyond your judgment.

Your blatant U-turn and abusive remarks also show your real character, and therefore, your loss as a user has no meaning for me. That said, I wish you a happy time (without JSRS) and stay healthy.

LJ

Dude, you're pissed off! I shouldn't have written about this ...

I thought you'd get it right ... Excuse me, I'm still your fan... 

I just wanted to draw your attention, give friendly advice. But apparently you don't need friendly advice.

On 8/13/2020 at 8:31 PM, PTV-Jobo said:

It is ever so easy to squat over and take a sh*t on others work feeling self-entitled while doing absolutely nothing for the community of value themselves

What nonsense you wrote. How do you know what I do in life?

On 8/13/2020 at 11:09 PM, Jackal326 said:

Your opinion is that NIArms is better than JSRS. You are entitled to that opinion. Some will agree, others will disagree.

I didn't say NIArms is better than JSRS! I said that NIArms has the best sound when shooting in first person! - This is a huge difference - between what you said and what I wrote above.

JSRS includes a ton of other sounds besides First Person Shooting and I didn't try to discuss them!

You vjst likely just don't understand what I'm talking about

14 hours ago, B_Fox said:

That's just your personal taste. LordJarhead created a mod that suited his taste which other people like and if you don't like it then simply don't use it same with graphics and particle mods. Don't go around telling people that they should change there taste to suit yours it looks bad.

Dude, your comment is the most adequate. 

Well I admit, that I was wrong!  LJ himself must make decisions when to change something in his mod... I just wanted to express my thoughts honestly, but apparently it did not work ...

Ok! Excuse me. guys and @LordJarhead... 

However, I do not understand such a painful sensitivity to other people's criticism.  Anyone exhibiting his creation in front of other people should be ready for criticism and should take it normally.

But instead I see a pack of dogs wanting to bite me. This is also not good...

PS: Today I compared NiArms and JSRS already in the game.The first time I compared in VR Arsenal only.

My additional conclusions are here.

JSRS sounds better in all cases, but exept one!  JSRS shooting (allied and enemy shots) outside the player, distant sounds, sound great! It's out of competition/

But in first person view shooting, JSRS,  loses to NIArms, since almost all NiArms shots sound more powerful and interesting. JSRS FPS sound seems bad, quiet, not natural...

In other words - When one of your user shoot a NiArms weapon and then take a vanilla weapon with JSRS sound, he no longer want to play Arma 3, because it is flat and not tasty!

• Confused 1

I personally don't see any friendly advice in your initial post, all i see is a a bit of rant and some of comments are verging on flame-baiting. For some one who has been on these forums since 2015, i would have hoped you were aware of our forum rules (https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/54604-forum-rules/).

Opinions are fine, but please try to do it in a constructive and mature manner.

1 hour ago, mickeymen said:

But in first person view shooting, JSRS,  loses to NIArms, since almost all NiArms shots sound more powerful and interesting. JSRS FPS sound seems bad and quiet...

In other words - When one of your user shoot a NiArms weapon and then take a vanilla weapon with JSRS sound, he no longer want to play Arma 3, because it is flat and not tasty

This is like trying to compare apples and oranges, they are different mods for a reason. Each author does things differently. At the end of the day, remember addon and content makers make the content for themselves and their enjoyment first. They just happen to share it with the rest of the community. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mickeymen said:

Dude, you're pissed off! I shouldn't have written about this ...

I thought you'd get it right ... Excuse me, I'm still your fan... 

I just wanted to draw your attention, give friendly advice. But apparently you don't need friendly advice.

I have not tried to mock others' work, this is b*shit/

I didn't say NIArms is better than JSRS! I said that NIArms has the best sound when shooting in first person! - This is a huge difference - between what you said and what I wrote above.

JSRS includes a ton of other sounds besides First Person Shooting and I didn't try to discuss them!

You vjst likely just don't understand what I'm talking about

Dude, your comment is the most adequate

Well I admit, that I was wrong!  LJ himself must make decisions when to change something in his mod... I just wanted to express my thoughts honestly, but apparently it did not work ...

Ok! Excuse me. guys and @LordJarhead... 

However, I do not understand such a painful sensitivity to other people's criticism.  Anyone exhibiting his creation in front of other people should be ready for criticism and should take it normally.

But instead I see a pack of dogs wanting to bite me. This is also not good...

PS: Today I compared NiArms and JSRS already in the game.The first time I compared in VR Arsenal only.

My additional conclusions are here.

JSRS sounds better in all cases, but exept one!  JSRS shooting (allied and enemy shots) outside the player, distant sounds, sound great! It's out of competition/

But in first person view shooting, JSRS,  loses to NIArms, since almost all NiArms shots sound more powerful and interesting. JSRS FPS sound seems bad and quiet...

In other words - When one of your user shoot a NiArms weapon and then take a vanilla weapon with JSRS sound, he no longer want to play Arma 3, because it is flat and not tasty!

LJ you can give a sh*t about my opinion, but it seems to me that feedback should be considered, for this this thread exists.

giving your opinion is something but comparing a mod with another is something else, you could easily say that you dont like the JSRS first person view shooting sounds or they are not good enough, then everyone could understand you,but comparing a mod with another is somehow inappropriate especially on the forums : p 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, R0adki11 said:

This is like trying to compare apples and oranges, they are different mods for a reason. Each author does things differently. At the end of the day, remember addon and content makers make the content for themselves and their enjoyment first. They just happen to share it with the rest of the community. 

Hey moderator, here you are completely wrong!
Always and always the best template for Arma3 mods - is realism! Can you argue with that?

Any mod seeks to recreate realistically certain things in the game Arma3, there is no doubt about it.

Check out the most popular mods for Arma3. All of them are trying to somehow transfer real life into virtual reality!

From here, If I say in first person shooting "sound seems bad and quiet, it is flat and not tasty" it means that the sound of the shooting is not realistic, not natural. 

I have fired small arms more than once, for this reason I know what I'm talking about.

This is like trying to compare apples and oranges

Our whole life consists of comparisons and we always choose the best!

Is that the reason why you and I choose Arma over Battlefield, COD... Also, comparing one with the other, each user chooses the mods that he considers the best and ignores the mods that he considers unnecessary ...

17 hours ago, B_Fox said:

Huh

Of cuz that is my personal taste, which btw is Niarms AR and HK being sounded like spanking lol. I know Lord created his mod to his likings, and it go along with mine, which is the reason i have been using it for long time and why I'm here on this thread afterall. And i completely aware that my taste might not be suitable with everyone else's too.

I only mentioned my personal taste and my personal taste alone. And of cuz told Honeybadger to go play with spanking sounds himself ahaha

I didn't go around blaming anyone for their tastes or people to change their likings to mine. I even tried as much as i can to recreate how my ears might perceive Niarms' HKs during scenario like "phan pahpahphan". Did i tried to change anyone taste, no!

2 hours ago, mickeymen said:

Always and always the best template for Arma3 mods - is realism! Can you argue with that?

Any mod seeks to recreate realistically certain things in the game Arma3, there is no doubt about it.

Check out the most popular mods for Arma3. All of them are trying to somehow transfer real life into virtual reality!

From here, If I say in first person shooting "sound seems bad and quiet, it is flat and not tasty" it means that the sound of the shooting is not realistic, not natural. 

I have fired small arms more than once, for this reason I know what I'm talking about.

Is that the reason why you and I choose Arma over Battlefield, COD... Also, comparing one with the other, each user chooses the mods that he considers the best and ignores the mods that he considers unnecessary ...

You missed the idea of modding. It's not that we follow a template or guideline. "How a mod changes or supplements the game in question is only limited by the game engine's possibilities in inquiry and the creativity of the mod developers."

We can mod in anime characters, have Halo, Aliens, or whatnot. It's always a personal preference for the mod developer. No one has to follow the rules with modding. That's the reason we tend to do it in the first place! If I want firearms to sound cartoony, I can do so. There is no one to tell me I can't.

If I say in first person shooting "sound seems bad and quiet, it is flat and not tasty"

That's not what you've said. If I can correct you:

it sounds like kindergarten!

suppressors are the same muddy, plastic, not natural - it does not correspond to the sound of the suppressor at all.

pistols sound as if they were taken from a children's cartoon.

It's a real shame...

Unfortunately, JSRS doesn't make me happy anymore, rather annoying.

I would really like @LordJarhead to study the sound of NIArms and make his sound similar to this.

I think now you need a major overhaul, just listen to some friendly advice. (Like WTF??)

try to do something like this minimum.

sure I've heard that it messed up NiArms

More adequate - for a given period of time need to make a sound mod from I NiArms for JSRS, but not vice versa.

See this? Especially this sentence: "I think now you need a major overhaul, just listen to some friendly advice" That can hardly be surpassed in arrogance and ego. To take away the nerve to say what anyone should do with their work/art. Nor I would go to James Rizzi and recommend that he paints his paintings more like Picasso did his.

None of the comments made here would change your mind or view of how to constructively and adequately assess others' work, which shouldn't be your job either.

I won't change anything about JSRS, done. If the overwhelming majority tell me that there are problems with the mod or that it sounds as horrible as you put it, I wouldn't have 360,000 subscribers with no complaints.

Thanks,

LJ

• Like 9

7 hours ago, mickeymen said:

Great start, can't wait to see where this goes *grabs popcorn*

Yes I can argue that. Mod-makers do not necessarily make mods to be realistic in the sense of conveying real-life in a digital medium (i.e. Warhammer 40K, HALO, Aliens etc.). Whilst yes, they are accurate representations of their intended content, they are by no means "realistic".

Only if the content they seek to recreate is realistic to begin with. A 7 foot tall anime character with 9 foot tall hair is by no means realistic in terms of "real life".

Many other members of the Arma community are current/former serving members of military branches from around the World and have far more real-world experience with firearms than you, me or many of the people in this thread combined. However, whilst they may agree that some sounds in this or other mods may need work or could be tweaked/changed/altered in some way, they damn sure have better manners when it comes to expressing their opinions than coming across as entitled and opinionated.

The term "best" is subjective - what you deem to be the "best" may be the complete opposite of the next person who's opinion you ask. You are stating your opinion as a fact and as many people here have already said, is out of line.

Also, "popular" =/= "good" - Fortnight is a "popular" game, but ask the average OFP vet who is still around for Arma3 if its "good" and you probably wont be surprised by the answer. Again, "good" and "popular" are subjective and depend a lot on demographic and target audience.

Why can't people enjoy all of those or more than one? I have been a long-standing player of all of the franchises you listed, and I enjoyed each for different reasons. I enjoy COD for the campaign story.  I enjoyed the Battlefield franchise for the fast-paced PvP and the storyline of the main campaigns. I play Arma because I can mod the hell out of it and tweak it to my personal preference. You do the same and that is your prerogative, but don't try and force your opinions on others as facts. Have and post your opinions as much as you like, its a free forum (do so within the rules obviously) but please, please, please stop standing on a proverbial soap-box and shouting for the hills that you're right and everyone else is wrong.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mickeymen said:

Still didn't answer the question. You can jump around it and do circles and still not give an answer. I honestly could care less what you do in real life outside of Arma. I was asking if you know so much, what is keeping you from developing your own mod? And again I ask you--what is stopping you from doing your own soundmod? I don't see any Mickeymen soundmod. Anyone else here see one? Hmm? Anyone? No? Yeah.....kind of figured.

So again--it's easy to be passive aggressive or just an absolute jerk towards mod creators while hiding behind a fools smile.

He has never said his work is 1:1 real life exactly as the human ear hears and experiences in real life. It has always been his artistic representation in a way he likes and wanted to share with the community to experience. If you just want to constantly take a piss all over that--then simply do your own thing and let us judge it equally and give our feedback. Don't be a lazy chicken. Put your money where your mouth is, so to speak. Again, nothing wrong with giving the community more choices to experience, right? So do a Mickeymen soundmod. Stop making excuses or avoiding it, just shut up and do it and let's see how good and realistic it sounds. 

But of course you won't, because you're too lazy to do it. You're the type of community member that feels self entitled to have things their way regardless of what the mod's creator(s) want for themselves.

"Hey I think your work is bad, do it my way and better.....I say as a fan of course."
"Why not do it yourself if you know so much?"
"HEY! This isn't about me! He just needs to fix it the way I tell him. I shouldn't have to put the time and work in!"

See what I mean? That mentality is called being a self-entitled jerk towards people who give up their free time and passion for the community they like.....for free.

• Like 2

...just thinking that all this fighting is swinging far too wide around the point of this topic, and this undeniably great mod.

• Thanks 1

Adding to the conversation, i personally dont use any sound mods for weapons myself, i probably should check some out but i do use some sound mods

for death screams, and the like, however i would really like to point out, and not to pick on any past devs of sound mods as i do appreciate all work that was done.

The thing is unlike some sound modders in the past including the previous games, Lord Jarhead....    is still here and still creating sounds for the community!

His dedication to his craft, is imo unparalleled to anyone else who have come created some great sounds and moved on whether their still in the community here or not

again you got to seriously hand it to Lord Jarhead and his JSRS, aside many other mods & modders at least for the weapon sound aspect of the game and previous games

this dude has some dedication to his mod.

Speaking from experience and im sure many modder's and creative content producers can say the same, sticking to one thing and constantly updating it,

depending what it is of course is and has its challenge for some thats not a bad thing and to each his own, but again seriously you got to give it to LordJarhead for

his dedication to JSRS and the many varients of it, this guy really loves his work and it shows, his commitment is an attribute of legends!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Back on topic with a question : has there been a recent change to the firing sound of the SPAR 16 rifles from Apex? I seem to recall them sounding a lot more crisp and on Point and up to JSRS standard, but the other night i notices that they are currently sounding quite flat and out of place. Could be another mod causing, and i couldn't directly find anything in the changelog, but maybe i missed an update or something? BTW i love your mod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

what happened to the LOUD and SCARY AF sounds of Dragonfyre?

Just now, pvtTunt said:

what happened to the LOUD and SCARY AF sounds of Dragonfyre?

Well that's Dragonfyre which is a separate version.

3 hours ago, blackburnrus said:

hm. where "JSRS SOUNDMOD - NIA ARSENAL Mod Pack Sound Support"  did go? Can't find it on worksop anymore

Unfortunately after one of updates - author JSRS disable this mod from list supported.

On our server we found it was the CUP SPG-9 causing mass crashes when JSRS and the CUP compatibility option were enabled. when disabled no problems, I don't know if you were aware of this problem, Thanks great mod we love it , we just cant use it for Cup at the moment.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WAR326 said:

Unfortunately after one of updates - author JSRS disable this mod from list supported.

because of this?)

to sad. For me NIArms sound - kind of suck )

On 8/13/2020 at 12:19 PM, mickeymen said:

Yesterday I accidentally installed the NIArms (All Weapons in One) weapon mod and when I compared the sound of primary hand weapon of NIArms and JSRS firing I was extremely surprised.

It cannot be used together as any other weapon that does not belong to NIArms will sound worse and quieter.

I've been a JSRS fan for a long time and have always been convinced that JSRS is loud mod compared to vanilla, but compared to NIArms, but when compared it turned out it sounds like kindergarten!

I ask all users to compare these two mods and feel what I'm talking about.

After NIArms mod, the shooting from the first person in JSRS -- sounds quiet, dim and muddy, there is no loud shooting at all!  Oh my god yes I said it! 

It seems to me that only sonic crack sounds loud and most of all interests the author of JSRS.

Sound cracks sound even louder than the all first person shots themselves! 

The JSRS sound of the fire with suppressors is the same muddy, plastic, not natural - it does not correspond to the sound of the suppressor at all. 

For comparison,  everybody can listen to the sounds of suppressors in NIArms, it sounds natural by sound and its volume level.

The JSRS sounds of pistols sound as if they were taken from a children's cartoon.

It's a real shame...I don't know what happened to the author of this mod. Unfortunately JSRS doesn't make me happy anymore, rather annoying.

I would really like @LordJarhead to study the sound of NIArms and make his sound similar to this.

Dude, I am grateful to you for all this years of your work and I don't want to hate you, but I think now you need a major overhaul, just listen to some friendly advice.

Please study the all sounds from NIArms mod (how it works, what level of difficulty, the every sound itself ) and try to do something like this minimum.

And at the maximal, I believe that you can do better because you are a fan of what you do.

PS:  I also saw the JSRS for NIArms mod. When I opened it, sure I've heard that it messed up NiArms(

More adequate - for a given period of time need to make a sound mod from I NiArms for JSRS, but not vice versa.

Heya jarhead, I've recently noticed that the vanilla offroad with the .50 sounds amazing, but it's also the only .50 to sound like that. No other .50 in game has those sounds. Why is that? I personally think it's a shame as it's the best .50 sound I've heard in Arma so far.

Hi everyone,

It's been some time since I got to work on JSRS. I see all of your problems, and I know that there is so much that needs fixing. I'm just thinking about stripping JSRS down to the basics of guns and explosion sounds to get rid of the issues and start from the ground up. As it is, JSRS is a cluster fuck of files and configurations that would take days for me to understand and fix the problems you are facing. So I might start with a new beta version to finalize JSRS, work out the issues with you guys, and make it ready for its very last release.

LJ

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Strange, but for example RHS compat settings split into main mod and alone RHS compat files. So we have rhs t90 sound in main JSRS mod and ak74 settings in JSRS AFRF compat mod. Maybe it needed like this cause game engine and config. 

It would be great to see  standalone RHs mod in the future. For example I never use vanilla content since RHs  

@sammael The thing is that all sound files are combined in the main JSRS mod, and all compat files for RHS or other mods are purely configuration files; hence the compat mods are just tiny in size. In the compat files, I only define what soundset weapons or vehicles should use; the JSRS main mod contains all soundsets and shaders in its configuration file to keep things combined and not scattered. This way, you can have only one big configuration with all settings and parameters and don't need to do this for every compat mod. Because every soundset needs settings like Filters, processors, and attenuation or volume curves, and you'd have to make these every time if they weren't combined in one file that all compat configs rely on. I hope that makes sense 😄

• Like 2

On 2/10/2021 at 8:55 AM, LordJarhead said:

Hi everyone,

It's been some time since I got to work on JSRS. I see all of your problems, and I know that there is so much that needs fixing. I'm just thinking about stripping JSRS down to the basics of guns and explosion sounds to get rid of the issues and start from the ground up. As it is, JSRS is a cluster fuck of files and configurations that would take days for me to understand and fix the problems you are facing. So I might start with a new beta version to finalize JSRS, work out the issues with you guys, and make it ready for its very last release.

LJ

Just one request, please keep the same file names 'JSRS_Soundmod_Configuration.pbo' & 'JSRS_Soundmod_Soundfiles.pbo' so I can use my Old Man saves with the new version.

Thanks!