I think there's a bit too much of the metallic effect, it almost overpowers the gun itself.

Furthermore, the M4A1 and AK74 from RHS don't have reload sounds, and there are probably more, and many RHS guns also don't seem to have any sound reflections/echo/reverb.

Had a quick listen - damn brother, that's a huge improvement you did there, I really like what I heard so far :don16:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GordonWeedman said:

I think there's a bit too much of the metallic effect, it almost overpowers the gun itself.

Furthermore, the M4A1 and AK74 from RHS don't have reload sounds, and there are probably more, and many RHS guns also don't seem to have any sound reflections/echo/reverb.

I think I got that fixed by updating all compats. Works all fine on my end

4 hours ago, laxemann said:

Had a quick listen - damn brother, that's a huge improvement you did there, I really like what I heard so far :don16:

Thank mate, glad you like it :) 

8 minutes ago, Maj Ray said:

@LordJarhead The new version of JSRS has a dependency on ASR_AI3_Skills and ASR_AI3_CFGWeapons. Can you please fix this?

Yeah I used that for a mission dependency and forgot to take it out of the mod. Should be fixed!

Also I update the jet sounds for the vanilla (old) jets, Wipeout, Buzzard and Neophron so they fit together with the Jet DLC sounds. You should check them out and have some nice flybys! :)

LJ

• Like 1

The new sound fit really well!

Is JSRS CUP ever going to be a thing or is it unlikely? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LordJarhead said:

I think I got that fixed by updating all compats. Works all fine on my end

Yep, updated compats fixed it!

tested with RHS so far so good i think the M4 and AKM shooting sounds needs to be replaced as they sound too metalic  

20 hours ago, kerozen said:

The new sound fit really well!

Is JSRS CUP ever going to be a thing or is it unlikely? 

Currently working on it. Weapons are all working so far it seems. Sitting on vehicles now, not sure if I ever gonna do all of them or just the basics. Will see. Gonna drop CUP latest next week and see to it that RHS should also have covered vehicles

• Like 5

version 6.19.0109.2

The sound for an jet pilot is a masterpiece. Resetting and increasing the speed inside Neoprone sounds awesome!

LJ Thank you so much, that you exist in this world )

• Like 2

New update>

JSRS Soundmod - 6.19.0114 Changes:
Tweaks

- Tweaked multiple vehicle driving sounds and volumes
- Tweaked Rocket and missile sound effects
- Tweaked Vehicle weapons interior firing sounds

Update JSRS Framework with hundrets of new sounds for upcoming compat mods like CUP and RHS vehicle sounds

LJ

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Ok so here we go:

JSRS Soundmod Cup Weapons Mod Sound Support

JSRS Soundmod Cup Vehicles Mod Sound Support

Please keep in mind that this is the first release, there are probably a lot of issues here and there, volume differences and such, but mostly it should work just fine.
Please give it a good try and report in any issues, SP and MP as well.

Thank you,

LJ

• Like 4

Really good job!

So far the only thing ive noticed is the weapons where the gunner is outside the vehicle (turn out) or turret like in a HMMWV the sounds are muffled as if you were firing from inside the vehicle

Hello folks,

I have some sort of a summary:

First of all, I would like to thank you, the many people and users of my work, but also apologize! My last update has brought major changes. The actual weapon sound has been drastically changed. This change came to you quite suddenly. For me, it was a kind of smooth transition as I have several weeks and months, bit by bit minor changes built.

Nevertheless, I would like to use the moment to explain my (future) intentions a little:

Last year, towards the end, ArmA did not irritate me anymore. I have dealt with other games and projects, regardless of the war genre. In mid-December, I had a minor accident and had to stay home for several weeks. To be honest, until today!

During this time, I've focused more on other games and played Insurgency Sandstorms. And the sound infected me. It was brutal, loud and somehow horny! But since I do not like the gameplay and always feel ArmA as my GoTo game, I tried to emulate the sound of Sandstorms a bit. Of course, that worked well, I think I met it quite well. Of course, it should not sound identical. Just something similar. But, (and that's a big but!) since ArmA does not really fit into the genre of Sandstorms at all, and the gameplay is much slower and more tactical, I have to say that the two topics do not go well together.

Therefore, and I hope for your understanding here, I would like to try a kind of symbiosis. I know that the sound of Squad is pretty much the benchmark in realism and warfare. Therefore, I would try to adjust the new sounds a bit for the player's near environment (first person, close battles, the reflections, etc.) and to lean the distance combat to something like Squad. I will focus more on real videos and try to get the ArmA2 feeling again. The CUP update helped me a lot to get back to the "old days" I missed so much, and I feel right back in the "ArmA ban"!

So, to list an overview of what the changes mean:

1. Player weapon sounds are loud and have strong reflections. Bass heavy but with more dynamics.

2. Distancing battles are replaced by new sounds and more "pop" sounds and less bass to produce.

3. All weapons converge at a distance in so-called pools. This means that all M16 / M4 rifles will become the pool "M16 family" and each of these weapons will use the M16 pool sounds. This achieves several things: The performance increases a bit and the weapons can each use multiple sounds instead of just one and the same. That's how we achieve more diversity.

4. Explosions are still loud and bass heavy. I try to add more "cracks" as you know from videos. When the rocket hits and there is a scratching crash before the actual bass comes. Very cool.

5. Vehicles will probably remain so, only changes would be adjustments to the volume and possibly new distance sounds.

6. The Soniccracks should also get more variety, less scratching and a bit more bass. There are more differences in volume and orientation.

I have been trying many of these topics for days now and I am actually quite satisfied with the results. But I'm curious about your opinion in the first place. What do you think? What kind of wishes do you have? What bothered you or did not work, tell me! I would be very grateful for a few nice words (You know, these written things you just read here), the like button you may ignore :)

Thanks folks,

LJ

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Sounds very sensible to me! And delighted you're continuing to invest time in giving us great ARMA3 content. 

The only one I'm a little nervous about on your list is changing the Sonic cracks as I think these are currently superb. The 'more differences in volume and orientation' sound good, and if the tweaks to add more bass are quite subtle, I think this would also be good. But like I say, I'm really impressed with how you currently have the cracks so concerned when there's talk of change given how much of a huge improvement I think the current sounds are over anything else available!

As for other improvements, the only other area I'd suggest tweaking (from the current, Workshop build of 6.19.0114) is the sound of suppressed weapons. To me, they sound a little too 'soft' - so slightly more initial attack and bass would be an improvement imho.

Please note I don't use CUP so have not experienced the sounds you've done for that mod recently.

Finally, a big thanks for giving us this mod which adds so much to the immersion in game!

I'm really fine with the changes thus far. Something that I always crave is the twitch I get when a bullet hits close to me or passes me by, so the sonic cracks have to be really pronounced and punchy if it should please me. That's something that early versions of SoS did great, but slowly gave up. With the new version of JSRS this is finally back, so you really get the feel of panic when shots are being fired round or at you.

Artillery shells or rather explosions are another thing that I'd really like to be as boosted as possible.

But overall so far I'm very pleased with the latest update!

• Like 3

All sounds really great, although I'm sure some of this info we've already talked about privately as well, hehe. But yeah man it sounds (Hah, get it? I make a pun! No? Ok, I'll see myself out....) really interesting. I think so far one thing that pleases me quite a bit is how you're evolving the inside vehicle shot sounds. As you know this is something in a lot of games and really, really had hoped for in ArmA. I know the fear there was that it would probably require a bit of scripting to do right, but I'm glad you figured out a workaround. I hope perhaps a little more can be brought out of that over time. The sound dampening effect is really good, just needs to maybe be made a little more pronounced audibly? Like really drive home the point of sitting in a thick metal box while you have a weapon outside on top firing. But even now, I finally feel like I am inside a heavy metal IFV or something firing. Not like back in the day where everything almost sounds the same inside as outside. Back in the day, there was no real genuine sense of sitting inside metal beasts. Now if only BIS can fix the camera view of some vehicles so when you go into optics mode and fire inside a vehicle you don't get ear raped by sonic cracks. As if your camera is sitting a little too in front of the weapon just because you go into optics mode, lol.

I also agree with Steve about the suppressors. The sounds themselves are awesome, but I think they definitely could be raised a bit louder and maaaaaaaybe a slight more punch. Which leads me to next point of being happy with the statement of "Player weapon sounds are loud and have strong reflections. Bass heavy but with more dynamics.". I know this is a topic that can drive you nuts, because no matter what you do--someone is going to whine that everything is too loud. And if you lower it more, then people also complain it's too quiet. For me? I'd rather it be loud and just adjust my game volume instead of having ArmA's sound maxed as well as my Windows sound settings maxed and have to raise the volume to my headset to get some good volume from weapons. Because at that point anything outside of ArmA sound-wise will give you a heart attack and/or make you deaf since you forgot you had to max out your sound settings to get some good "Oomph!" in ArmA , lol. Sorry not sorry to those who prefer soft and dainty pew-pew's. Glad to hear you want some balls on those sounds with some nice volume and strong reflections. Yeah boy! When I fire a weapon with JSRS running, I want to feel like Gunny is in my head shouting at me to see my war face. Not the audio equivalent to the UK's current recruitment fiasco in the news. Know what I mean? lol

One other thing on my mind is the 40mm UGL's. For quite some time they sound kind of, hmm how to explain it properly.......explosive? Like too powerful, just firing a GMG from the hip if you know what I mean? Not sure if it's just some config settings or something with reverb making it sound a little too powerful. But from what I've watched and read up on as well it's more like a slightly sad "Thoop!" (Example video below starting around 0:34 seconds in)

Spoiler

So if possible, maybe look at the ugl firing sound someday to make it a bit more "Sad Thoop"?

Other than these very, very minor things I really can't think of anything in particular that stands out enough to ask or suggest, when compared with your current plans on where to take JSRS. I'm sure if anything else pop's into my stupid brain, I can let you know. :f:

• Like 1

Hey folks,

thank you for the input! I hope for more to come, don't be shy people. :)

@Steve 161st Yes the soniccracks, oh well. These are always a topic. I thought I got them right this time, I probably did. But the variety is just too low. They pop, zap and crack all the same somehow. Even if that's what a crack sounds like, I have multiple recordings and it's the same, they always do snap the same in a "testing environment" where the shooter concentrates to fire the exact same spot over and over again. In a firefight I believe the rounds to go in all sorts of way around the target which causes a wider variety in sounds. Hard to tell. What do you think about Squad's cracks? They sound really good but it's a question how realistic they are...

@Belbo I actually did work on the explosions for Rockets/Missiles, Mortar shells and Bombs. I added this loud crack at the beginning. Also I added new explosion sounds for vehicles so you really hear that a lot of shit just got blown up and spreads all over the place. I'll upload a little video to show that new effect. I'll post it here later.

@yokhanan Yes yes, those interior sounds, I know I know. It's pretty much a pain to get them right. I mean sound wise they work fine, but there is no real way to have some "interior vehicle" sounds or to use a controller that works like that. My current approach is in having the first few meters of vehicle weapons to sound like they are in a vehicle, for like 3 - 5 Meters actually. Only problem is, when you get really close to a vehicle externally you'll hear the sound as well. And the other problem is the weapon classes that are not separated for multiple vehicles using the same weapon. The M2 on an Abrams can use these effects, as the gunner is inside the tank. The Hmmwv Gunner on an M2 standing in the vehicle and obviously being "outside" the vehicle shouldn't hear them because he's outside, still this M2 is the same class as the Abrams one. So either the Hmmwv M2 sounds too interior for being an open roof vehicle, or the Abrams M2 will sound exterior for being inside. It's a mess. And no really solution yet.

Still, I'll find a way to get that working somehow. BIS is going to get a new programmer for the audio department, maybe there is a slight chance we can get this man to work on these last remaining issues for the sound (Vehicle interior and that damn Gau8 sound that needs looping soundset options).

And yes I can truly confirm about that UGL sound, it's just to much at the moment. Also the silencers could get a little more dynamic, more punchy but not as loud at the end.

LJ

• Like 5

I honestly love this Mod it makes arma feel so much more alive and dangerous, My only request would maybe be tweak the volume on the chaingun on the Ah-64 from the ground perspective, as in most video's I have seen them in action you could really tell when they where firing even from a good distance away on the ground, but that's more of a personal preference not really a necessity, either way, keep up the great work and hope to see you continue this amazing mod for a long time to come.

• Like 1

First up, thanks again for continuing to update your mod.  It continues to make Arma more enjoyable.  I've mostly been experiencing your latest efforts through the RHS Compatibility files, but here's a couple of thoughts with the little bit that I've played with it...

- Most of what I've messed with is the M16 family (M4) and I like where you're going, but it seems a little too low/bassy.  This sounds worse than I mean it, but it's almost a little muddled compared to the real thing.  I like the mechanical <clack> you're doing, it's just the "boom" that muddles the clack a bit.  Hopefully you're not taking offense, as I don't mean it that way.  It's just the easiest way to explain it.

- I haven't messed with the AKs much, but as a point of reference, Toadies AK sounds are fantastic.  With yours, again, it seems like maybe just a little more high end is needed, but I need to shoot yours more.

- UGL "in-flight" sounds...  Wow.  I had a squad of al-Qaeda targeting me as I was hiding behind a HMMWV, and hearing the pop and then the flight of the round made me move, which was fantastic.  Very similar to mortars.  Definitely immersive.

One question:  when using the compatibility files (RHS, CUP, etc), are the sounds for like weapons the same?  So with your files, does a RHS M4 sound the same as a CUP M4?  I haven't had a chance to test that out yet.

Again, thanks for all your work!

• Like 1

The latest update has been splendid.

Just so that you can judge how splendid. After my last operation every single player that had JSRS loaded (Players can choose themselves if they want to have it) said that the players without JSRS really missed out alot, and being one of the players with JSRS, yes, they did miss alot.

I had tons of "oh shit that was close" moments when I heard the bullets zipping by and impacting in the wall behind me. And I played with an AK even though I hate them, because I loved the sound so much I just couldn't put it away again.

Previously I couldn't really imagine what a huge difference just slightly different sounds can make.

Hello everyone,

I´m glad that most comments so far were positive. I'm really happy with that.

@gatordev About your question: Yes, most weapons across multiple mods use the same sounds. I think it would make just sense that the CUP M16 and the RHS M16 are the same sound, as they are the same weapons. Also I can use this workflow rather quickly. I just add the weapons class from the mods weapon, tell it what soundsets it should use (Even the vanilla JSRS for ArmA3 has all the sounds, AKs, M16s, M240, DSHK, M2, all of them, even if they are not used by the vanilla ArmA3 content) and then I just have a really quick and easy coverage of a new mod but only have a single, small and clean config and dont need to upload new sounds or what ever. That's why I keep updating my vanilla JSRS to implement more and more different weapon sounds so I can cover more and more mods.

@Dedmen Cool, really like to hear that. Glad you guys liked it.

So, to get back to the latest development, it seems that I have, against my previous statement, indeed can separate the weapons for each vehicle. So that means that we can go ahead and increase the descripted "I am in a heavy metal IFV firing the coax mg" feeling @yokhanan mentioned. I saw a video of some interior firing for some russian BTR90's which gave me a good idea of what I'm planning to recreate.

That interior firing is exactly what I'm after! Sounds amazing with all the casings flying around in there. Will be really really hard to recreate and implement tho. First finding good sounds as a source, second to create the controllers. But I'll find a way.

Thanks guys,

LJ

PS: Maybe someone knows a video of that sort of stuff I'm looking for? Would help me a lot!

• Like 8

8 hours ago, LordJarhead said:

About your question: Yes, most weapons across multiple mods use the same sounds. I think it would make just sense that the CUP M16 and the RHS M16 are the same sound, as they are the same weapons. Also I can use this workflow rather quickly. I just add the weapons class from the mods weapon, tell it what soundsets it should use (Even the vanilla JSRS for ArmA3 has all the sounds, AKs, M16s, M240, DSHK, M2, all of them, even if they are not used by the vanilla ArmA3 content) and then I just have a really quick and easy coverage of a new mod but only have a single, small and clean config and dont need to upload new sounds or what ever. That's why I keep updating my vanilla JSRS to implement more and more different weapon sounds so I can cover more and more mods.

Makes complete sense and figured you were doing this.  I'm all for unified sound, so didn't mean for it to sound otherwise.

• Like 1