LJ, I'd say things are on track as they are now. Your continued updates are on point as well, so thanks.  :D

• Like 4

Bullet fly by sounds are amazing! I set up a small skirmish for me to test new sounds and I was smiling the whole time because of those fly by sounds. Those little few fews reminds me of MOH Frontline D-Day lol. Great job bud!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Jacali said:

Bullet fly by sounds are amazing! I set up a small skirmish for me to test new sounds and I was smiling the whole time because of those fly by sounds. Those little few fews reminds me of MOH Frontline D-Day lol. Great job bud!

Absolutely! This was really needed!

P.S. I was never shot at with something else than a pea pistol, so I really cannot tell whether a super sonic crack or a whizz sound is more realistic.

All I can say is that in A3 supersonic cracks did not sound good.  LJ's fly by sounds are great! So please keep them!

• Like 4

On 01.07.2017 at 7:37 PM, pip12345 said:

The whizz sounds should only be heard when the bullet goes subsonic.... like after a ricochet.

Hearing it come from someone shooting right next to you or a freaking anti-air gun is really really really immersion breaking.

But seriously, it sounds very silly and made me stop using this mod.

It was said rudely, but in General the guy was right. Unfortunately I also do not like the last update. V5.17. 

LJ! I love your mod, and I can not imagine Arma gameplay, without your mod, but where did you get this -wizzzzz from? As seems to me, this sound effects can only be suitable for subsonic ammunition or when the bullet flies very long and loses its speed, at the fire from large distances or after ricochets. But when I stand in front of my subordinates and hear behind my back wzzzz, wzzzz,, wzzzz,, wzzzz, - it does not sound good. 

@LordJarheadplease consider this issue - subsonic cracks disappeared and instead of them came whistles from the flights of bullets - this is already a problem.

• Like 1

wizz can be heard from 8m away ( im a soldier ) cracks can't be heard from 1-20 meters 

watch this video this is how real battles sounds like and i wish you can do something like this in next update

• Like 1

I'm going to improve the sounds and see if I can get things a bit more realisticly and consider the whizz sounds applied to bullethits and maybe subsonic ammo only. I'll find a decent way! 

LJ 

• Like 3

On 1.7.2017 at 7:43 PM, LordJarhead said:

Only problem would be the limitation that does not allow me to address a super or sub sonic bullet flyby. I guess I'll need to figure something out to get you back on the boat. Maybe I can address the whizz and zipp sounds to the bullethits... 

Atually, you can! :D

Both situations get their own class.

Check it out:

class CfgAmmo {
    class BulletCore;
    class BulletBase: BulletCore {
        soundSetBulletFly[] = {"DS_bulletFlyBy_SoundSet"};
        soundSetSonicCrack[] = {"DS_bulletSonicCrack_SoundSet","DS_bulletSonicCrackTail_SoundSet"};
    };
};

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, laxemann said:

Atually, you can! :D

Both situations get their own class.

Check it out:

I didn`t knew the game differs in one direction or another, I thought it would use both the same time. Cheers mate :)

LJ

On 03/07/2017 at 9:10 PM, cpt.ghost said:

wizz can be heard from 8m away ( im a soldier ) cracks can't be heard from 1-20 meters 

watch this video this is how real battles sounds like and i wish you can do something like this in next update

8m, 1-20 meters from or to what? This distance from the source of the shot to observer or distance a passing bullet to the observer? Please feel the difference. In this case, it is important not only the distance to the observer, but also the distance from the source of the shot. Before, I was only talking about the source of the shot to the observer. In your video example, the enemy shooting relative to the cameraman is very far away, besides, also do not hear any whistles of bullets. In this case, the Video is not suitable for any demonstration.

I talked about a different situation. When in the Arma3, I'm a squad leader and I stand in front of my subordinates (wedge formation) and hear behind me - wzzz, wzzz. This means that my subordinates are shooting at the far enemy, behind my back ( Note! the source of the shots is 8-10 m away from me, not like in your video ) and I do not should to hear wzzz, because it seems to me unreal.  If the person is near the source of the shot, this means that the speed of the bullet is maximum. We know that the speed of the bullet (if this ammo is not subsonic) is higher than the speed of any noise, which means that we should only hear the subsonic crack, but not the whistle of the bullet. The whistle of a bullet can only be heard, when the bullet loses its initial speed of flight. In relation to the observer, this can be when flying bullets over long distances or during ricochets. In my opinion, everything is logical.

PS: I Rolled back my JSRS to the previous version and enjoy :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mickeymen said:

8m, 1-20 meters from or to what? This distance from the source of the shot to observer or distance a passing bullet to the observer? Please feel the difference. In this case, it is important not only the distance to the observer, but also the distance from the source of the shot. Before, I was only talking about the source of the shot to the observer. In your video example, the enemy shooting relative to the cameraman is very far away, besides, also do not hear any whistles of bullets. In this case, the Video is not suitable for any demonstration.

I talked about a different situation. When in the Arma3, I'm a squad leader and I stand in front of my subordinates (wedge formation) and hear behind me - wzzz, wzzz. This means that my subordinates are shooting at the far enemy, behind my back ( Note! the source of the shots is 8-10 m away from me, not like in your video ) and I do not should to hear wzzz, because it seems to me unreal.  If the person is near the source of the shot, this means that the speed of the bullet is maximum. We know that the speed of the bullet (if this ammo is not subsonic) is higher than the speed of any noise, which means that we should only hear the subsonic crack, but not the whistle of the bullet. The whistle of a bullet can only be heard, when the bullet loses its initial speed of flight. In relation to the observer, this can be when flying bullets over long distances or during ricochets. In my opinion, everything is logical.

PS: I Rolled back my JSRS to the previous version and enjoy :)

if you watched the video from the beginning you can notice the camera man behind the trench hiding near a white tent and the enemy shooting exactly at the guy mounting the 14.5 KPV which is 5-7 meters away from camera man the wizz can be heard from that distance i've been in real combat and i know what im talking about what im saying is if the shot passes you (not hitting you :D) by 1 to 8 meters away you can hear its wizz in general never mentioned how close the shooter should be and ofcourse if the shooter 1-8 meters away you can't hear a wizz thats certain 

cracks is different , that video shows everything ...

• Like 1

Ok so here's how I addressed the issue:

Bullets flying with supersonic speed cause Sonic-cracks, loud crackly noises, the close Cracks are around 0 to 10 meters, followed by medium distance cracks and thuds from 10 to around a 100 meters followed by low volume distance cracks and thuds in the distance. These cracks, Close, Medium and Far are separated by caliber size, close cracks are separated by 6x5, 5x56, 7x62 and so on, while medium are just separated by regular sizes and bigger sizes like .50 or 20mm and so on. Very far cracks does not have a separation.

Bullets flying with subsonic speed cause the Bullet Fly By sounds, not as loud as cracks, just a regular "shhhziiipppsshhhh" kinda sound. Its heard from 0 to around 100 meters but the volume drops drastically after a short distance.

Bullets hitting things now also cause these "zippy" and "whizz" kinda "ping peng" sounds, a sound that tells a bullet hit something and then went of flying around, so ricochets actually. These sounds does not appear as often as normal bullet-hit sounds. The more bullets hit something close to you the higher the chance to hear them obviously. The ratio is around 4/10 ricochets and 6/10 normal bullet hits. Some of them cause a loud noise that can be heard over very long distances, like flying and screaming shrapnel so to say.

All in all I went away from the Hollywood effects, considered realistic bullet behavior and I think it came out really well. You are actually able to try it out later as I'm currently uploading the new update!

LJ

• Like 7

Update is uploaded:

JSRS Soundmod - 5.17.0705 Changes:

Tweaks:

- Tweaked Soniccracks were changed drastically
- Tweaked Bullethits got updated with zipp/whizz sounds
- Tweaked Soniccrack Wizz sounds got removed
- Tweaked Arty Mortar incomming sounds
- Tweaked Shell fly over sounds
- Tweaked Bullet sub sonic and super sonic sounds got separated
- Tweaked Distance sounds using mono sounds
- Tweaked Bullethits now have additional zipp/wizz sounds on further distances
- Tweaked Mortar Shell incomming sounds have been improved

Additions:

- Added New Soniccrack sounds for close, medium and far distances
- Added New Bullethits and Bullet FlyBy sounds
- Added New sounds for walking on interior surfaces (No High Heels any more!)
- Added New ATV Quadbike engine sound effects

Fixes:

- Fixed RPT jsrs_soundmod_p_weaponsounds\shot\ugl\mid2 (3).ogg not found !!!
- Fixed RPT jsrs_soundmod_p_vehiclesounds\tires\grass_ext_all.wss not found !!!
- Fixed Shells caused a long fly over sound after they exploded already

LJ

• Like 6

2 hours ago, LordJarhead said:

Bullets hitting things now also cause these "zippy" and "whizz" kinda "ping peng" sounds, a sound that tells a bullet hit something and then went of flying around, so ricochets actually. These sounds does not appear as often as normal bullet-hit sounds. The more bullets hit something close to you the higher the chance to hear them obviously. The ratio is around 4/10 ricochets and 6/10 normal bullet hits. Some of them cause a loud noise that can be heard over very long distances, like flying and screaming shrapnel so to say.

All in all I went away from the Hollywood effects, considered realistic bullet behavior and I think it came out really well. You are actually able to try it out later as I'm currently uploading the new update!

LJ

Thanks for these new updates...and improvements :)

My humble opinion is that you made the right choice about balancing a bit better the bullet fly-bys, so to say the "snaps and cracks", with a better number of bullethits and ricochet sounds. We've been speaking about that since a little while now and it sounds quite fair with this last update, it seems. Still have to spend more time testing that, but to my sense it is another step in the right direction.

Drastically shortening the distance, the radius around the player where the snaps and cracks can be heard, then lowering their volume even inside this radius, and finally diminishing their number, is a good thing.

On this point, i completely agree with Cpt.Ghost : A radius from 0 to 20-25 meters around the player seems to be largely enough. Seriously silencing or filtering those snaps and cracks beyond this radius also seems to be the right choice. Beyond the "realism" argument, we could also take the gameplay argument : with several iterations of the mod, we were used to hear a lot too much, regarding the volume, and too many of those snap sounds. their volume was too high, covering and exceeding even sounds that had to be hearable much better than them (gunshots, close to mid-distance explosions or grenades...). So was the number of samples for these snaps. From my humble point of view, it was sometimes difficult, a bit messy, to really know if the player was the target or a mate that is 30-40 meters away. Now, not only we know that we are clearly the target and that the bullets are really close, but the new ricochet sounds also give another clear indication about that. "I am targeted". The wall behind me was hit. The car right left to me took a hit and the bullet made a ricochet. Okay, a gunfight has to be frightening and certainly a bit messy, but gameplay-wise the player now has better informations about his own combat situation.

That's only my opinion, but don't hesitate, if possible and if it's also your will of course, to deepen a bit and diversify those ricochet sounds. Maybe a better volume for those that are really close to the player (0-5 meters), muffling a bit regarding the distance...you see what i mean. Also, maybe a bit more diversity about those ricochet sounds, maybe adding some variations for each surface hit, could be another good step.

All in all about this point, this last version makes a good job at rendering a bit better the situation of the player. More clearly. The already implemented bullethits and ricochet samples are really nice otherwise. Working on improving the direct environment of the player, the combat awareness and the quality of combat feedback just around the character seems the right way to go. That's great work.

Then, also noticed that the filters you made for the distant sounds, maybe particularly explosions, and the mono effect seems to be a bit better to locate the source of a distant sound. On another subject, i'm pleased to hear that your last tweaks, in conjunction with last vanilla updates, seem to have solved the "debris desynch" effect. Now debris are hearable right after the explosion, seems to do the trick very well.

Finally, what a pleasure to hear a quad with an actual 4-time fuelled engine :)

Many thanks as well to try and begin to cover RHS content, maybe other ones. Those last ones are certainly used by a vast majority of the players, and having such an homogeneity with your content is a real plus.

By the way, do you still plan some improvements for the Air content? Choppers, planes, fly-bys...?

Really nice work, as always LJ. Your will to continuously improve JSRS, test new things and keep that quality of link with your community deserves total respect. Such as seeing Laxemann and other Quality modders sharing knowledge and advices at the benefit of the community.

Keep up the great work, and thank you :)

• Like 4

^ The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Quick question for you guys using this mod.

Are the RHS vehicle sounds louder than the vanilla sounds.

With vanilla sounds what happens is when we hear the vehicles they are already on top of us.

Thanks
Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, eric963 said:

Quick question for you guys using this mod.

Are the RHS vehicle sounds louder than the vanilla sounds.

With vanilla sounds what happens is when we hear the vehicles they are already on top of us.

Thanks
Eric

The vehicles are currently not covered, yet. They will have a decent sounds and will be loud enough :)

LJ

The vehicles are currently not covered, yet. They will have a decent sounds and will be loud enough :)

LJ

Great news. Will be using your mod tonight with our group.

First Impression 5.17.0705 - Nice Release!  @LordJarhead!  Thank you very Much!

I think this is the most powerful version in its sound

Great stuff as always LJ. I didn't mind the previous update but each to their own. 

I know you have a lot on your plate and are non stop. But have you ever considered giving the IFA3 mod a bit of your magic?

18 hours ago, Megiddo said:

Thanks for these new updates...and improvements :)

My humble opinion is that you made the right choice about balancing a bit better the bullet fly-bys, so to say the "snaps and cracks", with a better number of bullethits and ricochet sounds. We've been speaking about that since a little while now and it sounds quite fair with this last update, it seems. Still have to spend more time testing that, but to my sense it is another step in the right direction.

Drastically shortening the distance, the radius around the player where the snaps and cracks can be heard, then lowering their volume even inside this radius, and finally diminishing their number, is a good thing.

On this point, i completely agree with Cpt.Ghost : A radius from 0 to 20-25 meters around the player seems to be largely enough. Seriously silencing or filtering those snaps and cracks beyond this radius also seems to be the right choice. Beyond the "realism" argument, we could also take the gameplay argument : with several iterations of the mod, we were used to hear a lot too much, regarding the volume, and too many of those snap sounds. their volume was too high, covering and exceeding even sounds that had to be hearable much better than them (gunshots, close to mid-distance explosions or grenades...). So was the number of samples for these snaps. From my humble point of view, it was sometimes difficult, a bit messy, to really know if the player was the target or a mate that is 30-40 meters away. Now, not only we know that we are clearly the target and that the bullets are really close, but the new ricochet sounds also give another clear indication about that. "I am targeted". The wall behind me was hit. The car right left to me took a hit and the bullet made a ricochet. Okay, a gunfight has to be frightening and certainly a bit messy, but gameplay-wise the player now has better informations about his own combat situation.

That's only my opinion, but don't hesitate, if possible and if it's also your will of course, to deepen a bit and diversify those ricochet sounds. Maybe a better volume for those that are really close to the player (0-5 meters), muffling a bit regarding the distance...you see what i mean. Also, maybe a bit more diversity about those ricochet sounds, maybe adding some variations for each surface hit, could be another good step.

All in all about this point, this last version makes a good job at rendering a bit better the situation of the player. More clearly. The already implemented bullethits and ricochet samples are really nice otherwise. Working on improving the direct environment of the player, the combat awareness and the quality of combat feedback just around the character seems the right way to go. That's great work.

Then, also noticed that the filters you made for the distant sounds, maybe particularly explosions, and the mono effect seems to be a bit better to locate the source of a distant sound. On another subject, i'm pleased to hear that your last tweaks, in conjunction with last vanilla updates, seem to have solved the "debris desynch" effect. Now debris are hearable right after the explosion, seems to do the trick very well.

Finally, what a pleasure to hear a quad with an actual 4-time fuelled engine :)

Many thanks as well to try and begin to cover RHS content, maybe other ones. Those last ones are certainly used by a vast majority of the players, and having such an homogeneity with your content is a real plus.

By the way, do you still plan some improvements for the Air content? Choppers, planes, fly-bys...?

Really nice work, as always LJ. Your will to continuously improve JSRS, test new things and keep that quality of link with your community deserves total respect. Such as seeing Laxemann and other Quality modders sharing knowledge and advices at the benefit of the community.

Keep up the great work, and thank you :)

Thank you very much for your decent and detailed feedback. That's the kinda feedback I really missed lately. Just a 'Like' button doesn't give me constructive support and people mostly only write a few sentences when something went wrong heh.

I kinda want to give the whole soundscape a higher dynamic range. More pops and indications to aware what happened where. I guess I'm on a good way but as always I'll just keep diggin' and updating. 

I have to admit I was a little impressed with the soundscape from the game Squad and kinda tried to implement a bit of its style into JSRS. But your feedback and opinions worth a lot to me and they went always into the development. 

So thanks for letting me know about your opinions.

10 hours ago, mickeymen said:

First Impression 5.17.0705 - Nice Release!  @LordJarhead!  Thank you very Much!

I think this is the most powerful version in its sound

Thanks! Your Building destruction sounds are kinda troubling me right now as the desync is very off at some spots. But I'll keep diggin'! :-)) 

1 hour ago, Unleashthepain said:

Great stuff as always LJ. I didn't mind the previous update but each to their own. 

I know you have a lot on your plate and are non stop. But have you ever considered giving the IFA3 mod a bit of your magic?

I might consider different weapon mods to be covered as well once I have JSRS kinda running smooth and when I know where to go with my latest style changes. ;)

LJ

• Like 4