beno_83au

Find position in the jungle

Good afternoon.

I've got a script written up to get some positions within the Tanoa jungle that are along the trails. These positions are ideally "deep" within the jungle (by deep, i mean a few hundred metres) with a few less-than-ideal positions that are captured due to the way I've set this up. It works, but I was wondering if there's a better way to go about this, as it seems to be a pretty long winded and imperfect way of going about getting positions:

params ["_mapMiddle","_allRoadPositions","_jungleTrailPositions","_roadPosition"];

_mapMiddle = [10000,10000,0];

_allRoadPositions = _mapMiddle nearRoads 15000;

_jungleTrailPositions = [];
{
	_roadPosition = getPos _x;
	if ((!isOnRoad _roadPosition) && (surfaceType _roadPosition == "#GdtForest")) then {
		if ((({
			(surfaceType _x == "#GdtForest") ||
			(surfaceType _x == "#GdtBeach") ||
			(surfaceType _x == "#GdtSeabed")
		}) count [
			[(_roadPosition select 0) + 200,(_roadPosition select 1) + 200,0],
			[(_roadPosition select 0) + 200,(_roadPosition select 1) - 200,0],
			[(_roadPosition select 0) - 200,(_roadPosition select 1) + 200,0],
			[(_roadPosition select 0) - 200,(_roadPosition select 1) - 200,0],
			[(_roadPosition select 0) + 100,(_roadPosition select 1) + 100,0],
			[(_roadPosition select 0) + 100,(_roadPosition select 1) - 100,0],
			[(_roadPosition select 0) - 100,(_roadPosition select 1) + 100,0],
			[(_roadPosition select 0) - 100,(_roadPosition select 1) - 100,0]
		]) == 8) then {
			_jungleTrailPositions pushBack _roadPosition;
		};
	};
} forEach _allRoadPositions;

{ 
	_mkr = createMarker[str _x,_x];
	_mkr setMarkerShape "ELLIPSE";
	_mkr setMarkerSize [10,10];
	_mkr setMarkerColor "ColorOrange";
	_mkr setMarkerAlpha 1;
} forEach _jungleTrailPositions;

systemChat format["All - %1 --- Jungle - %2",count _allRoadPositions,count _jungleTrailPositions];

Basically, to determine if a position is "deep within the jungle" I check positions around it, being 100m & 200m on each cardinal direction, for their surfaceType. It feels sloppy, but I just couldn't come up with another way (besides checking more distances between 0m-200m) to check the area around the given position for any non-jungle area.

Is there a better way of doing this?

if you could determine a good average density value for trees in Tanoa's jungle using nearestTerrainObjects, you could then just do nearestTerrainObjects with 100 m search radius on each of the jungle path road segments (should be able to filter those out of your giant road array checking their model string i think...not sure) and count the trees you collected and compare with your density.

little more brute force approach i just pulled out of my ass but maybe it leads you somewhere. i'm assuming this happens at mission start. so heaviness of it, would not be that much of a factor?

i have made a grid system that analyses all the 100 m grid squares on a map for a mission i'm making and it can pretty reliably detect forests with that method. i assume because BIS make their forest really nice and even. so who knows how it works on mod maps.

• Like 1

That's a very rough method, but should work fine if only ran once at mission start.

Another way would be to use selectBestPlaces, works really fast and you can return a plethora of different places, not just forests, but forests with hills, forests with houses etc..

Check out the related thread made by glorious rübe.

Cheers

• Like 2

Thanks guys.

On 10/02/2017 at 2:40 AM, Grumpy Old Man said:

Check out the related thread made by glorious rübe.

I posted there but didn't get a response (yet anyway, only been < 2 days), but I managed to work things out to a degree that enables me to do what I'm after.

params ["_mapMiddle","_allRoadPositions","_jungleTrailPositions","_roadPosition"];
_mapMiddle = [7228,6987,0];
_allRoadPositions = _mapMiddle nearRoads 10000;
_jungleTrailPositions = [];
{
	_roadPosition = getPos _x;
	if (
		(!isOnRoad _roadPosition) &&
		(surfaceType _roadPosition == "#GdtForest")
	) then {
		if ((((selectBestPlaces [_roadPosition,200,"(1 + meadow) * (1 + houses) * (1 + trees) * (1 + sea) * (1 - forest)",5,1]) select 0) select 1) < 2) then {
			_jungleTrailPositions pushBack _roadPosition;
		};
	};
} forEach _allRoadPositions;
missionNamespace setVariable ["jungleTrailPositions",_jungleTrailPositions];

So if returning true for !isOnRoad and surfaceType I run selectBestPlaces on the road position and determine whether it's far enough away from any meadow/houses/trees/sea then add it to the array. In the editor, when run from the console it takes about 58s to add ~588 positions (out of around 22,000 evaulated), but when run from init.sqf it stalls the mission loading for about 15s. I don't know if I can speed it up anymore, but for it's intended use these times don't cause a problem either way.

Cheers.

23 minutes ago, beno_83au said:

but when run from init.sqf it stalls the mission loading for about 15s

Just hide it behind the loading screen.

[ "myLoadingScreen" ] call BIS_fnc_startLoadingScreen;

//calculate positions

[ "myLoadingScreen" ] call BIS_fnc_endLoadingScreen;

This way the user does not see any noticeable stall/hitching, plus the script runs at full speed as all other simulation and scene rendering is disabled.

• Like 2

Cheers Larrow, I've got a load screen setup going for something else for that exact reason (running startup scripts at full speed) so I'll certainly be taking advantage of that.