bludski

Bludclot's Buldozer Cursors.

Hey guys! If you are anything like me you have a love and hate relationship with Buldozer.

My main pet peeve ever since I started making terrains over a year ago has been precision of placing objects and selecting them within BD.

Well here is my cure. I've made a few high precision cursor models that will let you place and manipulate the smallest of objects, Runway lights and similar.

There are currently 3 different ones but more will be added. Personally I only use the small one depicted here.

VDBYi0a.jpg

DOWNLOAD:

INSTRUCTIONS:

Back up your p:\core\cursor\cursor.p3d

Pick one of the cursors in the zip file, rename it to cursor.p3d and replace the original.

Enjoy!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Nice one mate, really need something better than default, cheers for the share.

• Like 1

Nice! I was wondering how anyone gets all the little things in the correct place inside buldozer.  It's always been great for medium to large structures but I guess the answer is custom cursors! thanks for sharing

• Like 1

Works fantastic! Can't believe no one thought of this all these years lol. 

Btw if anyone is wondering you can open the cursor p3d select the object--->press 'e'--->go to textures and click on the palet icon and select a procedural color. 

I selected a red color for better visibility. 

• Like 2

I had a chance to use all of these, and while the precision to know where exactly the point you are trying to 'grab' is very helpful, it has revealed an inherent problem in buldozer (that I cannot resolve).

First, the ability to move your cursor up and down with Q and Z moves way too fast.  I'm aware you can speed this up with shift, but I don't know how to slow it down.

Second, even when the exact point on your cursor is on the object you wish to control, buldozer often grabs a different object.  For example: if you are in a building trying to shift around a small object, it will grab the building (yes, even if it's on a different object layer!)  Another example:  In a dense forest, if I grab a tree with my cursor inside of the truck, it will grab an adjacent tree - this is only if the one of the tree's 'object marker' in Terrain Builder is on top of another one (which they often are)

So, is there a way to shrink the object size in Terrain Builder?  Is there a way to tell buldozer to ignore it and only pay attention to what the cursor is pointed at?

1 hour ago, pooface said:

stuff

Often you need to click a few times moving the mouse from left to right. The box that influences many objects in a3 is also often offfset from the actual objects so some times you need to click beside them. This because the actualy geometry is offset from the origin of the object, meaning absolute centre of the object's own coordinate system. You should be able to learn these objects with some playing around placing them. The arrow being offset from the object itself when selected indicates this.

It also helps to split objects into object layers. Where you put trees in one and buildings in another, then tiny stuff and decoration in a third. Then you can hide those layers as you need when starting buldozer.

That is what I do. Locking them doesn't work perfectly as buldozer will sometimes select and shift locked objects even if it should not.

Hiding them negates this entirely.

That is what I do anyway.

It should also be possible to use a controller for analog up and down movement in BD but I haven't tried this yet. To do I guess.. Only problem is my gamepads don't work properly in arma at all.

What i do is get my cursor exactly on ground level. then place the object i need. move it to the horizontal position i need it and then finally adjust altitude of the object itself. (hold W + right mouse button and move mouse) It helps to think practically.. Place the table first and then what goes on it. Etc. If you plan two steps ahead you won't need to move stuff around too much. 

Say you want to create a table with a char and a radio and an MRE and bottled water for decoration. Place the table, then things on it somewhere empty, then click and drag the ground to select the objects and then move that group of objects to where you want them.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2017 at 4:14 AM, m1lkm8n said:

Works fantastic! Can't believe no one thought of this all these years lol. 

Btw if anyone is wondering you can open the cursor p3d select the object--->press 'e'--->go to textures and click on the palet icon and select a procedural color. 

I selected a red color for better visibility. 

how did you do this ? ?

~

Thanks!

Open Object Builder

click the Color Pallet button next to the folder icon under Texture after selecting cursor and pressing " e "

XqD2F08.jpg

3zOCIJ1.png

• Like 1