pettka

"3FPS Issue" - Call for Help

After running for hour using the rc branch I can confirm that the 3 fps bug do not exist on the current rc branch. Everything run smooth even dynamic simulation

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

• Like 4

2 hours ago, claws01 said:

After running for hour using the rc branch I can confirm that the 3 fps bug do not exist on the current rc branch. Everything run smooth even dynamic simulation

FPS Bug still exists in RC, tested with  "Devastator_cm" mission.

Been running for almost 3 days and still no fps bug on my end.

Ram been set to 24522. Max usages while testing tanoa = 5321 after 4 hour and so .

love it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balingr said:

FPS Bug still exists in RC, tested with  "Devastator_cm" mission.

my mission can break all :-P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, claws01 said:

Been running for almost 3 days and still no fps bug on my end.

Ram been set to 24522. Max usages while testing tanoa = 5321 after 4 hour and so .

love it 

Really? That's a good news!

Just to be sure: what did you do during these 3 days? (The leak doesn't seems to occurs if you just fly around the map with nothing else happening :p)

If, at some moments during your 3 days session, you were in the fight, this is a real improvement :)

6 hours ago, yesyesjo said:

and i would bet, that 90% of the people here tried to play the game in absolutly minimum settings just to be able to play. less people are even thinking about ultra settings right now... ;)

Of course. Playing in ultra with a 10 km view distance is mainly a good way to fill your memory in order to do some tests (but if you want to play today, that's not the best idea ><)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, claws01 said:

How would someone go about running the game in 'rc branch'? Is it the base game running in that mode or hosting a server running in that mode? Because I like building massive battles in the editor, and if it's just hosting a server in that mode then I wouldn't be able to do that. 

@Decidis 

https://dev.arma3.com/rc-branch

RC = release candidate

It's the next upcoming patch for us to test for bugs.

It is not a mode / mod you just turn on and off, you'll have to patch (download) it, from Stable to RC is about 7-8 gb. **

Like every patch, server and client have to use it for them to be compatible. (can't download it to play on regular servers)

**although you can have arma 3 and arma 3 RC active by downloading it (a second full arma game) to a separate folder via steamcmd.

1 hour ago, Balingr said:

@Decidis 

https://dev.arma3.com/rc-branch

RC = release candidate

It's the next upcoming patch for us to test for bugs.

It is not a mode / mod you just turn on and off, you'll have to patch (download) it, from Stable to RC is about 7-8 gb. **

Like every patch, server and client have to use it for them to be compatible. (can't download it to play on regular servers)

**although you can have arma 3 and arma 3 RC active by downloading it (a second full arma game) to a separate folder via steamcmd.

Hmm, ok, thanks! I think I may give it a shot and see if the game will play past the magical 3065mb limit. I've been keeping task manager open on another monitor as I play, and have noticed that between 3060-3070mb is when the game tanks. Even 1 or 2 gig beyond that would be helpful.

10 hours ago, Decidis said:

Hmm, ok, thanks! I think I may give it a shot and see if the game will play past the magical 3065mb limit. I've been keeping task manager open on another monitor as I play, and have noticed that between 3060-3070mb is when the game tanks. Even 1 or 2 gig beyond that would be helpful.

--UPDATE--

After updating my client to the RC branch 1.68, I was able to play one of my larger custom missions without ANY 3 FPS slowdown or memory leak. The game went well beyond the 3060-3070mb mark where it would consistently crash, all the way up to 3,650mb sustained for 20 minutes before I exited out. 

As per current Stable build of Arma, and some asking around, players have reported the FPS glitch occurring most common when in combat, shooting, about to shoot, or getting shot. Before it was just a simple stutter one stated, when shooting another player, the game would freeze and bit then unfreeze, but now occasionally, it becomes an entire mem-dump. Also, a squad mate of mine uploaded a video not too long ago, in which flying an F-35 gun runned someone who just disembarked from a vehicle. As soon as he gets the kill, the game freezes, and instantly initiates the notorious FPS glitch.

So after all these post, log files, dumps, reports, dxdiag and the like, my question.....

Has a Bohemia employee gotten this bug on ANY computer\workstation\laptop and where any QA or the like able to reproduce it on their machines??

It seems CPU\GPU\MB sensitive and the problem will get worse when future DLC is released -.-

I've had my eye on this thread for a bit now. I have no clue what information I can offer other than PC specs but,....

I have NEVER had the 3 fps issue.

I just wanted to add to the mystery as to why some do and some don't.

I`d love to know. Had the issue again yesterday in clan training out of absolutely nowhere, and out of the 12 or so of us that were on the server, I have the newest and fastest machine by a fair bit.

I was the only one to get it.... :h:

If people with the "best" hardware have the issue more frequently, it may be:

* because the issue is hardware related

* simply because these guys tend to play with better graphic settings, and so use more memory (and reach the 4 GB limit faster)

That's why I'm not playing with the 10 km object view distance anymore... can't enter into a small fight without crashing. So I think the only reason is the second one.

no 3fps bug for me anymore when using the rc 1.68. flying above cities in taunus was a guarantee for the bug to happen, not anymore with 1.68. arma3.exe used about 8gig ram.

I will install all this and get you logs, will try today. 

Now on how to recreate it: add me on steam - chesiq; go to king of the hill server with me, I will buy you wipeout, fly wipeout for 1 round, get the bug. You can also try flying hummingbird. If you want to. Or go play there for an hour. Ask QA to do it. Join High Pop server. 
Thoughts on the bug: Introduced with new LOD system. I did not have it before. So it must be there. When the Apex dlc came out. Look there what is changed. Since it is visually reloading LODs it has to do with it. Any place in code that holds amount of lods, or does reload Lods this is where I would look. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, urumbl said:

no 3fps bug for me anymore when using the rc 1.68. flying above cities in taunus was a guarantee for the bug to happen, not anymore with 1.68. arma3.exe used about 8gig ram.

It was only a guarantee for the game to reach the 4 GB limit... With the 64 bits version, this limit is now your RAM (unless you have more than 17,179,869,184 GiB of RAM installed, or 16 exbibytes... no you don't).

(Again...) not having the 3 fps bug doesn't mean you dont have the issue. With 64 bits, if the issue still exists, you will have the 3 fps bug as soon as your system starts to use the pagefile (and actually, all your system could become really slow).

Can you prove the game will never use more memory than it should, even if you play one week in fights, with ultra settings and 10 km terrain and objects view distance?

You want to know if the issue still exists in the 64 bits version? Limit the memory used in the private data section with the "maxmem" parameter, and check if, after exceeding this limit, the game still regularly allocate more memory in this section.

The issue will be solved when the memory used in this section will stabilize near the limit you chose. If it doesn't, your system will use the pagefile sooner or later (and your system will be really slow... keep playing at 3 fps until the pagefile is full, and your system will crash).

3 hours ago, urumbl said:

How long did you test for. I tested the RC and flew on Taunus for 1H30Min. Then i gon the message i needed to close arma, or that it would be closed. Since i was running out of physical memory. Think it was on 11-12Gb used out of my 16Gb.

This was done in the editor, and not in the Exile mod i usably play in. So one problem might be replaced by another. 

This memory leak is soo obvious.  Start ANY MP game, login as admin and #monitor it.  Memory increases on the server AND on the client - MUCH faster on client however.  Eventually the client dies, but given long enough the server will die too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kremator said:

This memory leak is soo obvious.  Start ANY MP game, login as admin and #monitor it.  Memory increases on the server AND on the client - MUCH faster on client however.  Eventually the client dies, but given long enough the server will die too.

It isn't so obvious.

Memory doesn't only increase because of the leak, it also increase because of the cached data (and this is normal). That's why, in all tests I do, I start by filling the memory until reaching the limit I set with "maxmem" (cached data shouldn't use more).

It could be interresting to do some tests server side (setting "maxmem" low enough, and monitoring the private data section).

• Like 1

On 5.3.2017 at 6:04 PM, M40 said:

How long did you test for. I tested the RC and flew on Taunus for 1H30Min. Then i gon the message i needed to close arma, or that it would be closed. Since i was running out of physical memory. Think it was on 11-12Gb used out of my 16Gb.

This was done in the editor, and not in the Exile mod i usably play in. So one problem might be replaced by another. 

hm i think it was less than 1,5 hours, maybe 30-45 mins. the bug appeared nearly instantly, when i flew over cities on stable branch tho. i had the error you describe, when i exited the RC one time.

On 06/03/2017 at 11:26 PM, urumbl said:

hm i think it was less than 1,5 hours, maybe 30-45 mins. the bug appeared nearly instantly, when i flew over cities on stable branch tho. i had the error you describe, when i exited the RC one time.

There are 2 memory limits:

* The virtual memory that can be allocated to one process: 4GB for a 32 bits process (a lot more for a 64 bits process). If a process reaches this limit, it crashes.

* The physical memory, shared by all processes: Windows uses the pagefile (on your HDD/SSD) when you use more than 80% of your installed RAM (and will display a warning if the pagefile is full). Reaching 100% of used memory is not a good idea (really).

If you see this warning, you should:

* End some memory consuming process

or

* Install more RAM

or

* Limit the memory used by a process <== That's the point of the "maxmem" parameter in Arma 3 (it limits the "bigger" section), but the memory manager is not completely doing its job today :(

So, as this Windows warning could be seen even if there were no bug in the game, we can't rely on it to do tests.

On 3/6/2017 at 7:44 AM, kremator said:

#monitor doesnt discriminate, just measures total memory. there are lots of small memory leaks, and a couple big ones that cause corrupted game memory (3 fps issue). once the game memory is corrupted it spirals out of controls and kills the session