pettka

"3FPS Issue" - Call for Help

14 hours ago, computer said:

I can reproduce the bug on x-cam taunus. Do you require this bug to be found without mods ?

The closer an issue reproduction method is to being 100% in the vanilla game, on VR world / Stratis, with minimum entities, running minimum scripts, etc. - the more chances it has of getting fixed. Such circumstances are the easiest for our programmers to run on their debugger configurations, and they eliminate other factors. Of course in reality it will often not be this easy, and that's why especially issues such as these are hard to nail. But the closer you can get us towards such clean repro, the better.

It can also be important to identify common shared factors: OS version, hardware driver versions, advanced memory configurations / utilities, certain third-party software, and indeed mod mixes. Fortunately a lot of this can be deduced from dxdiag and other logs. Consolidating your Intel in the FT ticket will be the most helpful. Thanks for the fresh information so far!

• Like 4

About the issue.

We have a server running at ~200 players in the evening and some of the players are experiencing the '3 FPS' bug.

For what I have so far :

• The problem applies with the perf and standart client binary

• It is random, it cant appear at random moments after the game starts

• -maxMem does not solve the issue (No idea if it's more stable or not)

• Mallocs : system and tbb4 (It seems to appears less with the system mem allocation)

• It appends even on high end builds

• It has more chance to appear when there is a lot of activity on the server

• It appears on all Windows versions 7+ (Only had info from people running 64 bit OS tho)

• It will append to some players and it never will to some others.

About the server / mission :

• We are running 6Gb+ mods, including CBA, ACE and TFR

• We are running a custom version of the Altis Life Mission

• We are using an headless client for the database calls

• We are running 'optimization' scripts (I will remove them once I finished reworking all that database shit)

I have no procDump sorry

EDIT : 

• I only had returns from nvidia users (using the lastest driver)

for some time now I have had some issues that I like to solve my self

from visual basic

input like the 1 below

' mdlSafeObject code

Public Sub DestroyObject(o As Object)

Dim SafeO As SafeObject

' If this is a SafeObject, call Deallocate() first.
   If TypeOf o Is SafeObject Then
      ' This is necessary to make VB recognise o as a SafeObject
      Set SafeO = o
      SafeO.Deallocate
   End If

Set o = Nothing

End Sub

' Class1 code

Public B As Class2
Public C As Class3

Private Sub SafeObject_Deallocate()

' Destroy all references.
   DestroyObject B
   DestroyObject C

End Sub

to finding some problems with

using .dll's

just working on this

type of thing at the mo just added this to the folder

PhysX3_x64.dll

PhysX3Common_x64.dll

PhysX3Cooking_x64.dll

PhysX3Gpu_x64.dll

this is because I run a 64 bit machine and this does help

also added some runtime .dll's

d3dx9_32.dll

D3DX9_43.dll

hey there,

here is what i found out, dunno if it will be helpful though:

• the bug is more likely to be reproducable by running mods - it is present in vanilla games however
  • it occured most frequently when using @bwa3 version 1.4.0 + ace compatability mod - 1.4.1 kinda fixed it
  • looking outside the map (no object to see) increases the fps to ~35 for me

If anyone needs a guide on how to procdump with Battleye enabled.

Well it's in French but you'll get it.

18 hours ago, AndrewsRG said:

This vid was recorded by a member on Sunday during our official ops last weekend. It only happens to certain clients/members, due to out large mod set and use of custom maps we have tried to crunch this internally, as of now we have no fix

I am not sure if this apples to vanilla arma3. 

I have never encountered the 3FPS bug apart from this one time when I was flying the wildcat on Altis while trying to land almost exactly like in this video.

Yesterday I had the issue again and somehow it fixed itself without a restart.
All I did was running away from the location where FPS dropped happened and saying some nice(!) words loud. I was lucky that I was not in a city but small town and facing the hills, so was able to run even with 3 FPS

I will try the same approach again and see if it really works. Maybe being away from the area somehow cleans the problem

the only thing i remember before it happened is that i was using a scope aiming at someone

it happened to me two days ago playing only with Exile mod on Tanoa

after it happened i decided to change the resolution back and forth to try to fix it

it crashed and the game launcher has generated a report. here is the link to the report

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hygm51zibuc37sg/ArmaReport_Log_20170205T193649_user.zip?dl=

Will there be an official dev server running long term and maintained for the sole purpose busting the 3fps bug? and a forum page for client setup do's/dont's. We can supply dump files if this is standardized in a how-to as ProcDump is new to many. Good luck!

I only play Pilgrimage COOP and serve with one other person over the internet. This bug typically triggers when I use binocs, laser designator and zoom. Sometimes recovers, sometimes not.

• Like 1

I'd love to use the procdump program but I am unsure how to use it to record anything related to the 2fps bug. On first glance it seems, it can just be connected with an application which crashes or freezes. But since the 3fps bug does not freeze or crash, I dont know how to get it to work properly.

22 minutes ago, alphamike said:

I'd love to use the procdump program but I am unsure how to use it to record anything related to the 2fps bug. On first glance it seems, it can just be connected with an application which crashes or freezes. But since the 3fps bug does not freeze or crash, I dont know how to get it to work properly.

You should be able to use the "procdump arma3.exe FreezeMiniMemoryDump.dmp" command (without a "-h") to do a dump when you want to.

We can't create a dump when BattleEye is active. I don't know if killing/disabling BE just before to use procdump is "safe" or not.

I think this is a memory leaking problem because some textures are missing in MP.For me cure for low fps bug is deleting a Arma 3 folder in app data.Works every time.

23 hours ago, Horus said:

@pettka @dwarden You need to add on BE whitelist procdump.exe and procdump64.exe.

What do you need to do to get procdump.exe (or procdump64.exe) on the BattlEye whitelist?

Edited by Terror_Nova

Thanks for addressing this 'issue', i have zero doubts that with enough community involvement, a solution will be found.
The post i found most intriguing so far is the one by user 'Chews' about BattleEye filters.

Also, the recent one from STRIDER890 is interesting:

"I think this is a memory leaking problem because some textures are missing in MP. For me cure for low fps bug is deleting a Arma 3 folder in app data. Works every time."

I'd like to try that too, but it's not clear what else i'd be deleting upon deleting that folder. 

Keep up the good work friends, a solution will hopefully soon be found. 

• Like 1

I have to admit, Chewz's post is very interesting...

I have seen a lot of people proposing some methods which seems to "fix" the issue. They tried to help, but in general it didn't work for everyone :(.

But here, Chewz is showing us a possible way to reproduce the issue (from a developer side, it's a lot more important).

And, if BI developers don't test the game with BattleEye enabled, it would explain why "[they] are yet unable to reproduce said behaviour on [theirs] internal machines".

It may be the cause of the issue, or not... In any case, this is a really good "new point to check", so thanks a lot for that feedback! At least it gives me hope again :D

considering i've got reports of 3fps / memory leak bugs from users running servers w/o BattlEye or w/o BE filters

then i fear that's dead-end (or just different another performance bug) , still thanks for the mention

I feel like this issue may have something to do with the audio side of the game. After trying out a temporary fix some people have told me to try, which involves lowering my max audio sources in my in-game settings to the lowest option, I have not experienced a 4 frame since. In addition to lowering my audio sources, I also changed to the JEM memory allocator. My game can now run for several hours without a 4 frame. It will occasionally go into what might be a 4 frame but recovers within seconds. Despite not getting 4 frames anymore, my game does still get out of memory crashes, but not having the 4 frames anymore definitely is a relief.

Most of my memory leaks appear after i use the shadowplay feature. 

Sometimes the game gets normal frames after i alt+tab out of the game. But it´s only a tempoary fix, since it appear in about 5minutes. 

@dwarden Maybe worth mentioning that Windows 10 has that xbox game dvr shit.

May be related to 

5 hours ago, Asim said:

Most of my memory leaks appear after i use the shadowplay feature. 

In addition AMD released not that long ago their ReLive feature.

12 minutes ago, harmdhast said:

@dwarden Maybe worth mentioning that Windows 10 has that xbox game dvr shit.

May be related to 

In addition AMD released not that long ago their ReLive feature.

can confirm its not this. I ran arma off intel integrated graphics and xbox dvr, as well as with no recording software, and got the same amount of texture bugs using a graphics card and shadowplay

Edited by enzob007

God, this problem is driving me nuts sometimes. Especially when I'm hosting a LAN server and playing with my friends. Ocasionally the game gets in 3FPS mode and I'm basically done. I hope that 64bit platform update will do some difference.

So many requests in this thread for help figuring out how to acquire the necessary logs. 

Can a dev say clearly how to do this so the people that want to help can?

For the past few months I would get this bug a lot on DUWS Tanoa if I had more than 4 zones or a higher unit count.  Most commonly at the start when loading in a vehicle or groups of units for high command and when vehicles first come within my view distance.  Playing duws Tanoa on x-cam taunus it was REALLY bad, it wasn't playable with more than 2 small zones and view distance over 1 km, or else 3 fps within 5-10 mins.

With that being said, the 64 bit has completely alleviated this problem.  I can play duws on Taunus with 8 zones max enemys, 3k view distance / 2k object distance, and have never gotten the bug or crashed.

IMO trying to fix the 3 fps bug is like trying to figure out how to get traction with wooden wheels(32bit).  You've already made the rubber tires(64 bit), just keep refining that

my PC if it matters-

I7 5820k 

gtx 960 4gb

16 gb 2800 ddr4

250gb ssd

Windows 7

• Like 1

just something which I noticed. Whenever 3fps bug happens I notice very high Hard Faults in Resource monitor. It goes to top limit and after alt+tab it becomes normal for a while