Snake Man

PMC Editing Wiki: ArmA 3 Terrain

PMC Editing Wiki is the place to be for ArmA 3 terrain information and other editing info.

Most important for new terrain guys is PMC Ultimate Terrain Tutorial which covers everything to get your first terrain in-game. Forget about outdated and plain wrong tutorials, now you have tutorial which will be kept always up to date and correct.

There are just tons of good arma3 terrain editing information so dig in and use the search function to go through what PMC Editing Wiki has to offer.

If you cannot find some information or tutorial, ask and I'll see what can be done to get it added.

Direct to PMC Editing Wiki: ArmA 3 root and PMC Editing Wiki: ArmA 3 Terrain.

• Like 10

Just what I need!  This weekend I'll be making my very first terrain for ArmA...ever.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Delta Hawk said:

Just what I need!  This weekend I'll be making my very first terrain for ArmA...ever.

What will it be about? :)

I'm making an 18th century ship and I'd like to make a few islands to test speed and historical accuracy of my ship vs play ability and how boring it could potentially be.  Also I'd like to test the gameplay mechanics of water shallowness as this was a huge advantage for some ships with a shallow keel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delta Hawk said:

I'm making an 18th century ship and I'd like to make a few islands to test speed and historical accuracy of my ship vs play ability and how boring it could potentially be.  Also I'd like to test the gameplay mechanics of water shallowness as this was a huge advantage for some ships with a shallow keel.

Sounds pretty cool! Thinking of something around the Carribean Sea?

Yes.  The Caribbean had plenty of areas with small islands, shallow waters and secluded coves and inlets ;)

You are fine downloading the free version.

Make a note that free version only allows heightmaps and satellite texture/masks up to 2048 grid/resolution. You cannot make proper arma3 terrain SATELLITE TEXTURES with 2048 resolution images.

I'm so confused...You say I'm fine with the free version, the free version only goes up to 2048x2048 and then say I can't make a proper terrain with 2048x2048.  O_o

Is there a place I can find heightmaps of the world?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Delta Hawk said:

Yes.  The Caribbean had plenty of areas with small islands, shallow waters and secluded coves and inlets ;)

I'm so confused...You say I'm fine with the free version, the free version only goes up to 2048x2048 and then say I can't make a proper terrain with 2048x2048.  O_o

Is there a place I can find heightmaps of the world?

Your heightmap is 2048x2048 but your sat map should be 20480x20480.Get the trial version of L3DT if you want bigger. If you are doing Real World data, then you are going to have to use Global Mapper or QGIS to line up the sat map. Snake Man has a guide about real world data.

Heightmap map data can be found here - http://opentopo.sdsc.edu/lidar?format=sd

• Like 1

On 2/13/2017 at 0:59 AM, Delta Hawk said:

PMC Ultimate Terrain Tutorial purposes you are fine with that resolution because its just to teach you how to do it, however once you have read through the tutorial and learned how to terrains, then you cannot use that low resolution anymore and therefore L3DT trial version.

BTW guys this topic is about PMC Editing Wiki and its arma3 terrain section, if you wish to discuss generic terrain stuff like your own terrains, start a new topic for it.

I am looking for a tutorial on how to add textures to models in OB.  Is this info on this site?  I can't seem to find it.  Thanks.  

We discovered a issue in shapefile v.transform using QGIS in our tutorial, it took me several days to figure out fix for that but finally I did.

So I have updated PMC Editing Wiki: ArmA 3 Road Shapefiles Real World Data how to prepare road shapefiles for QGIS so v.transform works properly.

It is kind of small change which I wouldn't normally post to this topic, but it is a game changer in terms of will you get OpenStreetMap roads in terrain builder or not.

Many new edits since last post, but just now I added two new pages and files, well worth to check out:

PMC Editing Wiki: Terrain Builder Template Libraries

PMC Editing Wiki: Terrain Processor Templates

Also worth to note that for some odd reason google is not indexing our Terrain Builder page which has tons of good information, so I would recommend doing search on PMC Editing Wiki instead of google if you cannot find some info.

For reference, you could consider your X-Cam page as not being "obsolete" anymore, despite any active development on it, the change with Laws of War that broke it has been fixed, and the mod maintains to be completely functional. 

PMC websites were migrated to a new IP, so they might be down for some people until the DNS zone cache is distributed across the internet. Sites should be back in normal operation in a day or so.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

Edit: my own firefox cache/etc has been now updated and PMC Editing WIki as well as PMC Tactical is working normally. Hope they work for everyone else too.

• Like 2

Brand new re-written real world data terrain tutorial has been added!

Note this uses the same link as the old one, so dont get confused if you see it as visited already.

PMC Editing Wiki: ArmA 3 Real World Data Terrain Tutorial

Let me know if the images are too heavy or blurry, capturing them in 4k and getting to 1000 pixel web format is new to me heh.