Hi All,
I just wanted to ask how the setViewDistance is working actually? I have some missions where aircrafts are in play and the visibility is really low although at client side view distance is set quite high. I found out that in MP, server is limiting the distance.
Is there any side effects if I use setViewDistance in init.sqf  to a very high value? 
Will it make some bad side effects by AIs spotting capabilities?
Will this value used as max possible distance and still client is able to adjust it? So if I use setViewDistance 5000 and client has setup for 2000, which one will be used for the client machine?

well in your server configuration there is an option to set the view distance.

however, I believe you could use setViewDistance yeah.

server configuration I believe has ultimate decision over the view distance though,

including terrain grid.

server.armaprofile excerpt: 

viewDistance=3000;
preferredObjectViewDistance=3000;
terrainGrid=12.5;

but what about the client setup in options menu?
I don't want to force everybody to see 4km away as it can cause fps issues.
Only pilots need long distance
So like in my example before, if I set it at server or by init.sqf will users still be able to bring it down if they want to?

Just now, Devastator_cm said:

but what about the client setup in options menu?
I don't want to force everybody to see 4km away as it can cause fps issues.
Only pilots need long distance
So like in my example before, if I set it at server or by init.sqf will users still be able to bring it down if they want to?

yeah, they could be set client sided.

I understand that'd cause obvious fps issues.

I think you could possibly manually set it if they are pilots?

Not quite sure if that'd work or not, you may have to execute it server side. 

Have a look at thew following page:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Mission_Parameters

It is possible to setup custom view distances as part of the 'Mission Parameters'. Other than that, you will need to use the commands setViewDistance and setObjectViewDistance. From what I have seen in the past, if you remove the attributes above from the server.armaprofile it will use the mission parameter value/client value. Forcing players to have a specific view distance (default is 1600m) is good for small-scale PvP scenarios, like what is done in Project Argo, but for more expansive and combined arms game play I would suggest to leave these settings open to players to set. One of the better interfaces is CH View distance, which is both available as Addon and also in 'mission form'.

Hope that helps

4 hours ago, bull_a said:

Have a look at thew following page:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Mission_Parameters

It is possible to setup custom view distances as part of the 'Mission Parameters'. Other than that, you will need to use the commands setViewDistance and setObjectViewDistance. From what I have seen in the past, if you remove the attributes above from the server.armaprofile it will use the mission parameter value/client value. Forcing players to have a specific view distance (default is 1600m) is good for small-scale PvP scenarios, like what is done in Project Argo, but for more expansive and combined arms game play I would suggest to leave these settings open to players to set. One of the better interfaces is CH View distance, which is both available as Addon and also in 'mission form'.

Hope that helps

Good explanation.

Didn't think of that.