Devastator_cm

Community AirWarfare Scaling System

Hi All,

I just wondered and wanted to ask if there is any agreed scaling system between mod makers for air warfare?
As we all know the maps of Arma 3 are huge compared to other games but if you consider operations which involves aircrafts then some things get still messy.

1- Speed 

2- Acceleration/Deceleration

3- Range

are the points which I beleive should not be based on real world values for modders but adjusted to some value which makes sense and I beleive this is what the modders are doing already otherwise we would be able to hit an enemy aircraft which is at one side of the map with AIM-120 from another side in some seconds.
My question is, without having an agreed scaling system how the modders can guarantee their mods are playable together with other mods?

Example, Mod with SAM is scaled down in order not to make whole Altis no-fly zone (i.e. SA-2) by developers own feeling. Now if I put a F-16 into my mission where another developer made some scaling down by his/her own feeling as well, then the realism factor can fade away easily if one of the vehicle is nerfed too much. It might end up with SA-2 (assuming active radar all the time) can shot down F-16 easily even though F-16 is loaded with AGM-88 if scaling is not done based on agreed coefficients.

So why not modders and also BI not agree on a scaling system for air warfare to make them all work together in a meaningfull manner?

For example, real world accelerations need to be multiplied by X, max speed should be multiplied with Y and Range should be with Z based on average map sizes for all aircrafts (fixed, rotary) and AA units (missiles, vehicles, manpads)?

just an idea.. don't laugh :)

• Like 4

Yes! since arma physics cant handle real life speeds, the speeds for aircraft need to be adjusted. However when jets fly as fast as helicopters it becomes strange...

And yes weapons need to be adjusted accordingly. especially the AA weapons

Unfortunately this post  didn't get enough attention from mod makers... :down:
Would be nice if they could really think about such scaling system so different mods based on real life could work with each other smoothly in Arma maps

A very valid post, thanks for sharing. With the incoming sensor overhaul and jet DLC around the corner, this is a somewhat pressing issue. As you wrote, realistic ranges for sensors will most likely destroy any gameplay with vanilla assets.

We discussed this internally for the F/A-18, SU-35, EA-6B and Nimitz mod and came to the conclusion to adjust the values for those assets based on the figures found in the vanilla assets. This way players can freely add those assets to their missions and hopefully have a nice balance in their game. However, mods with a bigger approach, especially total conversions, will probably want their own 'scale'. It really not only depends on real life vs vanilla Arma 3 but also what the given mod aims for.

Given that I doubt a common 'scale' will be found for any and all mods. What might work though is a 'factor' defined in a mission for each asset (class) for the sensors and missile ranges probably. Not sure how feasible that is engine wise, it might be impossible to implement in a timely fashion. Also runtime considerations need to be taken into account, as any config values would need to be modified by the 'factor'. A 'factor' could be something like 0.1 which means that the default ranges for all sensors and missiles for those class(es) are divided by ten.

• Like 1