makhno

Terrain : G.O.S Leskovets

G.O.S Leskovets is a 400 km² map of rural farmland featuring 40 villages.
It's mostly inspired from the landscape of Southern Burgundy's "bocage" with

hedgerows enclosed fields, many wooded areas and some open fields, but with

eastern european/baklanic names as I feel it's better scenario wise.

This of course is an early version and there are many small defects, be wary of

trees too close or on the roads.

Planned developments :
Secondary roads network (earthen trails).
Isolated hamlets, farms and other structures outside the villages.

Download :

http://www.mediafire.com/file/o32491v9zitnp3o/%40LeskovetsV004.rar

Video:

lesk2.jpg
lesk4.jpg
lesk5.jpg
lesk6.jpg
lesk9.jpg
lesk10.jpg
lesk14.jpg
lesk16.jpg
lesk17.jpg
lesk20.jpg

Required addons :
CUP Terrains

« Le GOS, faire autrement »
Clan réaliste français
http://www.clan-gos.fr

• Like 23

Awesome man, you put out some amazing maps, thank you so much 

• Like 1

Oh, awesome! And here, I had just started playing around with your other maps. Thanks for the terrain, man- great area to draw inspiration from, too! C'est bon!

• Like 1

Seems pretty good, although I get the feel that some of the cities are copy+pasted on multiple times. Makes the map feel sort of repetitive, but I still feel like it's a good map.

One note though, it seems the satmap textures are too bright. When standing on the ground, the textures close to you are dark which makes the satmap further out seem very bright.

Will look forward to further updates.

Your map name sounds exactly as my surname! What I have won? xD xD

Please keep going!

Yeah, I agree there needs to be a little better harmony between the close up textures/grass and the sat texture. Otherwise, its a great general european terrain. Nice work.

• Like 1

This could be good for some ww2 gameplay

Edited by fwedman
  • Like 3

Fantastic, another enormous Makhno map to get lost in! 

I'm another one who agrees that the satmap could do with a lot of work, but apart from that this is a really promising early release and the map has a very different feel with an interesting mix of A2 and A3 assets. And it has very good performance. 

Some lack of geographical and township variety is a price I'm happy to pay if it means that you can prodice these excellent maps at a rate of more than one every several years. Thanks again for your hard work Makhno.

• Like 6

Damn, looks really really good.

I absolutely adore the mix of open plains and fields but being undulating and hilly at the same time (as opposed to Altis' very very VERY flat plains) so there's visual cover and lots of places for surprises. Great attentions to detail and I'm very much looking forward to testing it.

• Like 1

Very pretty, thank you makhno!

If it isn't a huge task (I genuinely have no idea) a snow version would be cool <cough>.

As other have noted, lots of scope for WWII scenarios and a Battle of the Bulge campaign could be a lot of fun.

I was thinking of a winter version indeed.

It would be easy to replace vegetation with "white" versions, but I always felt that it makes a "Walt Disney" winter, not a very realistic one.

The other problem is that vegetation 3D models have almost no twigs, so it  provides very little cover unless you just paint white summer vegetation..

There's also the possibility of creating a First snows winter with patches of thin layer of snow over the normal ground still showing in some spots and Chernarus autumn vegetation. Think this would be better.

• Like 2

Hello!

The terrain seems nice as it is but I think it would benefit from some extra details.

Throughout the map I think there is a distinct lack of variety in the pallet of objects you have chosen to use. This makes the terrain seem monotonous.

Especially all the open fields seem to be fenced by only a few types of plants. Also the lack of stones and rocks around the map is striking. All the forests seem to be very well taken care of and they have very little fallen branches or damaged trees. 

I hope you would consider roughing up your terrain by adding some of the following:

- Add stones and rocks throughout the map. Especially to roadsides, edges of fields.  Perhaps some rock faces to the end of hills?

- Add some random human garbage or broken machinery near towns and in forests or field sides.

- Make the farm fields more genuine. Add some purpose to some of them. Livestock, specific plant growing on them etc. And especially add some stone or some-other fences on the edges.

- Perhaps make some of the forests less well taken care of by adding some fallen branches and trees there.

Also when making missions it is fun to have some infrastructure on the terrain besides the odd villages. Perhaps add a power grid, water towers, gas stations, Bus stops, some industry etc. around the place. Make it feel more lived in. 

Thanks for all the hard work that you do for this community!

• Like 3

Awesome looking terrain mate.

Screenshots look like a hybrid of Chernarus and Altis....Whats not to like?

10 hours ago, bumgie said:

Hello!

The terrain seems nice as it is but I think it would benefit from some extra details.

Throughout the map I think there is a distinct lack of variety in the pallet of objects you have chosen to use. This makes the terrain seem monotonous.

Especially all the open fields seem to be fenced by only a few types of plants. Also the lack of stones and rocks around the map is striking. All the forests seem to be very well taken care of and they have very little fallen branches or damaged trees. 

I hope you would consider roughing up your terrain by adding some of the following:

- Add stones and rocks throughout the map. Especially to roadsides, edges of fields.  Perhaps some rock faces to the end of hills?

- Add some random human garbage or broken machinery near towns and in forests or field sides.

- Make the farm fields more genuine. Add some purpose to some of them. Livestock, specific plant growing on them etc. And especially add some stone or some-other fences on the edges.

- Perhaps make some of the forests less well taken care of by adding some fallen branches and trees there.

Also when making missions it is fun to have some infrastructure on the terrain besides the odd villages. Perhaps add a power grid, water towers, gas stations, Bus stops, some industry etc. around the place. Make it feel more lived in. 

I really love your map. Decent size and a european style.... something i have really looked for. On the other hand i agree with bumgie, that adding some more unique places would add a LOT of value to the map. Even a small airfield (civilian?) would fit.

Also i have encountered a lot of misplaced objects. Especially in towns. Just to mention a few types of errors i have seen :

- Fences which stuck into buildings
- Straw bales which stuck into buildings
- Buildings which stuck in each other

If you need screenshots/coords, just give me a pm.

But regardless the stuff listed above -> Thumbs up. I like the map.

On 7/2/2017 at 10:25 PM, bumgie said:

Hello!

The lack of variety is one of the main conditions for good performances.

I don't know why, but I always experienced that the lower the number of different trees on a map, the better the FPS.

At first I had included about 8 different trees from Chernarus Summer, the result was that I ran the map at around 40Fps, then I replaced them with the only 3 Arma 3 models, result : 70fps....
On the other hand it gains unity, which is sorely lacking in Chernarus summer vegetation (plus those Arma2 objects can look very strange at some distances with the new engine).

I want to keep some specific characteristics to this terrain, so that it still feels like Southern Burgundy.
Thats a seldom populated area, with vast expanses of meadows empty most of the time (to give grass enough time to grow), and all the hedgerows look like the next one.
Crops are limited (more so than on my map). I may try to use actual objects for cultivated areas, like in Fata Terrain, but I don't know how the AI will behave in them yet, nor the impact on FPS.
There are almost no rocks at the surface, so I won't add rocks on this specific map.
Fencing is a difficult issue. The way they are done, is relatively labour cost effective, as I can use Worldtools to do it.
The other kind of fences, stone walls, poles ( where the angle of placement matters)...have to be placed by hand as at the moment I don't know any tool that would allow to do that effectively.
And it's important to leave holes otherwise the AI tends to stay well away from them.

Development status :
The secondary roads network is done, and I'm in the process of placing many small settlements in the countryside (farms, barns, houses, wood processing installations...)
I'll then add two airfields

I intentionaly avoid placing too specific buildings/areas (Comm tower, military installations...) as they can easily be added in the mission themselves.

I will have to review all the villages house by house for object collisions, which may not happen soon as it's a very dull task.

Future plans :
Once the work that has to be done by hand is finished, I indent to re-use those objects (towns, small settlements, road Network) on other maps with different ground cover, vegetation and heightfield.
I'm planning on making an extensively cultivated plain, with some kind of rivers (rivers integrate very poorly in hilly terrain) and maybe one with sizeable hills (more like chernarus).

• Like 6

8 hours ago, makhno said:

The other kind of fences, stone walls, poles ( where the angle of placement matters)...have to be placed by hand as at the moment I don't know any tool that would allow to do that effectively.

May be X-Cam could help you there:

• Like 1

nice map, could you make a map that is in the middle eastern sorta area or  on the canadian american coast?

30 minutes ago, Lemonzsz said:

nice map, could you make a map that is in the middle eastern sorta area or  on the canadian american coast?

Makhno has a middle eastern map, it's called Al Rayak.

Hey Makhno, a couple more observations:

For some reason Leskovets over-rides all wind settings either in Eden or scripted, it just totally ignores the setwindstr command. Is this something in the config?

I get the following error whenever starting a mission on this map: 'safepositionanchor/' is not a class ('name' accessed")

Thx for pointing this out.

I'll look into it.